General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Found a cool shift knob that's a direct-fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 07:24 AM
Keven97SE

My old shift **** was looking ratty so I put in an aftermarket one. Designed for Miatas but fits *perfectly* on my car. It's a round, crinkle/powder-coated aluminum ball shift ****. Looks really cool, has a nice, slightly rough, textured surface. Only cost me ~$30. There are different finishes available, too (polished Al, brushed Al, etc). The coating on mine really keeps temperatures down. It gets warm but not hot. Very comfy.

Check out the link if you're interested.
http://www.rspeed.net/store/item.cfm...artNum=531-103

Only one minor issue: the **** sits on top of the shift lever more, showing the bare shift rod for ~1" before the boot starts. Simple fix was to slip a rubber bushing over the rod, then put the shift boot back on. This pushed the shift boot right up against the ****.

One more thing: Universal leather shift boots suck. Don't get them. I cracked my shifter trim piece (plastic piece) while trying unsuccessfully to get the leather boot to fit. Damn things are too thick to work with. I guess I'm stuck with the cheap-looking but THIN factory boot.

Old 06-11-2001, 07:48 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I have the momo universal boot, and it was kinda a pain to put on. You can't be rough with it or you wil def. snap something.
Old 06-11-2001, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by NickStam
I have the momo universal boot, and it was kinda a pain to put on. You can't be rough with it or you wil def. snap something.
The boot sold by wheelskin is a relatively good fit.