General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Where to buy Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 11:50 AM

Which is the best (and the cheapest) place to buy Synthetic Oil? As of now I am leaning towards Mobil 1. I did the search on Synthetic and read through like 10 pages but none of them had the price or an ideal place to buy it though.

Also, I understand that changing your own oil is very very easy. Do I need to jack up the car? Where are the easy step by step instrucions posted etc. I am very very illeterate when it comes to cars. I have done three mods my self though. Installing the stock CD changer in the trunk, installing the mud guards and installing the Diamond Cut clear corners (this week end) but that's about all I know about the car!! :-(

Thank You in advance for the help :-)
Old 06-11-2001, 12:06 PM
Got Bent?

I get Mobil 1 synthetic at pep-boys. It's like $4.49 a quart.
Old 06-11-2001, 04:39 PM

wholesale

i think costco has boxes of synthetic oil too now, i think its like $18 a box or something . check it out
Old 06-11-2001, 06:25 PM

Re: wholesale

Originally posted by NisMoMAX01SE
i think costco has boxes of synthetic oil too now, i think its like $18 a box or something . check it out
I just purchased Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 at Walmart for $3.50/ quart and that was their regular price.
Old 06-11-2001, 07:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: wholesale

Originally posted by fisher

I just purchased Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 at Walmart for $3.50/ quart and that was their regular price.
No Fair! My Walmart has the stuff for $4.79/qt...
Old 06-11-2001, 08:17 PM

What is your problem

Just because you have a habbit of posting BS does not mean that every one else has the same habbit. I have also asked questions about changing the oil. FYI I have a maxima and my questions were aimed at getting information on both where to buy the oil and also is it very easy to change it or not.

I was witnessing the childish acts that you were committing by posting irrelevant posts. I think the moderators should really BAN you from this forum.
afeter killing someone if you go to court and say I am sorry will NOT get you off the hook. They will still nail you. Same way writing BS about the moderators and then apologizing does NOT solve the problems that you have.
So, if you can't stand it then please do not read my post and DO NOT reply to posts that you do not have any information to add to!

To all the others, I apologize for this. I think this guy does not have anything better to do then to engage in controversies and post ford crap! Rest assured I will not reply to his BS in the future.

Originally posted by infinitiblast
this is off topic.
Old 06-11-2001, 08:43 PM
The missing moderator

Re: What is your problem

don't worry about him....

as for your question...

it depends... walmart here in Houston has the same Mobil 1 5W30 for nearly $.50-$.75 cheaper than in Dallas... weird. I think you have to shop around a little.

Another example, pep boys here has Mobil 1 for $4.99.... but someone posted they get them for $4.49.

-Shing

Originally posted by dvpatel99se
Just because you have a habbit of posting BS does not mean that every one else has the same habbit. I have also asked questions about changing the oil. FYI I have a maxima and my questions were aimed at getting information on both where to buy the oil and also is it very easy to change it or not.

I was witnessing the childish acts that you were committing by posting irrelevant posts. I think the moderators should really BAN you from this forum.
afeter killing someone if you go to court and say I am sorry will NOT get you off the hook. They will still nail you. Same way writing BS about the moderators and then apologizing does NOT solve the problems that you have.
So, if you can't stand it then please do not read my post and DO NOT reply to posts that you do not have any information to add to!

To all the others, I apologize for this. I think this guy does not have anything better to do then to engage in controversies and post ford crap! Rest assured I will not reply to his BS in the future.

Old 06-11-2001, 10:36 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dvpatel99se
[B]Which is the best (and the cheapest) place to buy Synthetic Oil?
My suggest is just of Shingles: Wal-mart or maybe K-mart is a choice.

Also, I understand that changing your own oil is very very easy. Do I need to jack up the car? Where are the easy step by step instrucions posted etc.
It's a very easy steps:
1. Let your car run to normal temp and let it cool down for about 15 min before you start (That's the way I do it, other might be diff).
2. Turn your wheel all the way to the right so you have more space under the car. Pop up the hood and remove the oil cap on the engine.
3.(Optional) Jack the front up if you couldn't get under the fender. I, myself, just put a piece of carbon paper under it and slide in.
4. Lose the nut that you find under a black metal container (About 2 feet from the front). Don't forget to put the oil collector under it.
Caution: Oil and oil filter are hot !!!
5. Let it drain while remove the oil filter which locates a little further behind and on top of the oil box. Might need to use the universal oil filter remover wrench.
6.Tight the nut back after the oil had drain out.
7. Lubricate the mouth of the new oil filter with the new oil. Install the new oil filter. I suggest you only tight it up by hand so that you can remove it easier on you next oil change.
8. Refill the engine with new oil (About 4 and 1/2 Q.)
9. Start your engine...
10. You should know what to do with the rest

I hope that's help!!
Old 06-12-2001, 06:12 AM

Thank You

Thank You Shingles and CharlieT and all the others (except infinitiblast) that have proided this information. The next oil change will be done by myself!!

CharlieT your steps were very informative. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot. :-)
Old 06-12-2001, 06:30 AM

Wal-Mart in arkansas sells mobil 1 for around $4.29 a quart.
Old 06-12-2001, 07:19 AM

Re: What is your problem

Ok lets clear some things up here. First off I already cleared it that most of those posts were not me. I let a friend of mine that just bought a 98 maxima use my login until he signed up. Yes I did start the post about the festiva but only for fun, when my friend started answering my posts back with my username I just went along with it for awhile. Now I'm left with the clean up. Yes your right apologizing does not cover everything but it does help does it not! Your post is very relevant here I only read the topic line and not your question. I would apologize for saying off topic but you seem to think that does not help anyways.

Old 06-12-2001, 07:35 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Thank You

Thank You Shingles and CharlieT and all the others (except infinitiblast) that have proided this information. The next oil change will be done by myself!!

CharlieT your steps were very informative. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot. :-)
dvpatel99se,

Wal-Mart has been selling 5-quart containers of Mobile 1 for $18 or so......good deal if they still have them...that's $3.50/quart.

Costco usually has 6 quarts for around $21.50....that's $3.58/quart.
Old 06-12-2001, 07:40 AM

I'm pretty sure that you can get oil pretty cheap at autozone and advance autoparts also. I bought a case for like 19.99 but I think they were having a sell might wanna check them out also.
Old 06-12-2001, 12:40 PM

If you decide to get ramps, go for the "Rhino Ramps" (hard plastic/rubber) versus the standard metal ones. The Rhino ramps are lower and will not hit the lip of your front spoiler.

Mobil 1 is probaly the best synthetic off the shelf. For best results, use a Purolator Pure One or a Mobil One filter.

Good Luck

John
Old 06-12-2001, 01:10 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by johnny2kgle
If you decide to get ramps, go for the "Rhino Ramps" (hard plastic/rubber) versus the standard metal ones. The Rhino ramps are lower and will not hit the lip of your front spoiler.

Mobil 1 is probaly the best synthetic off the shelf. For best results, use a Purolator Pure One or a Mobil One filter.

Good Luck

John

John,

I apologize for not returning your e-mail sooner.....I'll do that in a sec....
Old 06-12-2001, 01:54 PM

Re: Re: Thank You

Costco in Bay Area always have Castro Synthic, until recently.

I just got back from Costco (need to get some tires). While I was there, I notice they have Mobil 1 for $21.99/box. But that's only 10W30. They don't have 5W30 though.

Originally posted by bill99gxe

dvpatel99se,

Wal-Mart has been selling 5-quart containers of Mobile 1 for $18 or so......good deal if they still have them...that's $3.50/quart.

Costco usually has 6 quarts for around $21.50....that's $3.58/quart.