General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

The Downfall of Nissan North America, courtesy of Carlos Ghosn

Old 03-25-2006, 04:56 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by STARR
seems like more hype then any real facts, just some douche bag who wants the people to believe Nissan is gonna collapse, he probably drives a Toyota
you fail to realize he is an Administrator
Old 03-25-2006, 07:25 PM

seems like more hype then any real facts, just some douche bag who wants the people to believe Nissan is gonna collapse, he probably drives a Toyota
Who are you calling names? The original thread starter or the author of the actual article?
Old 03-25-2006, 08:37 PM

The guy who wrote the article
Old 03-25-2006, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
you fail to realize he is an Administrator
I was referring to the guy who actually wrote the article, not SteVTEC who just posted it on the org
Old 03-25-2006, 08:51 PM
SuPeRmOd

I was referring to the guy who actually wrote the article, not SteVTEC who just posted it on the org
gotcha

so no one has seen/heard any source to confirm this whatsoever?
Old 03-26-2006, 05:23 PM
STFU n00b!

this is what happens when you let the bean counters run the business. next thing you know, they'll be outsourcing all of the sales duties to India or Pakistan.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:27 PM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
next thing you know, they'll be outsourcing all of the sales duties to India

Old 03-26-2006, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by FunLovinMaxima
However, they will also lose some untalented (and probably overpaid) employees. Ghosn says that Nissan can expect some amount of savings from this move and he says that for two reasons. First of all, everyone understands numbers; they're quantifyable. Secondly, publically traded companies such as Nissan can pretty much only make sweeping organizational changes when cost savings are involved. (Otherwise they risk losing stockholder support.)
The REAL advantages for the move are realizable at the organizational level. Ghosn knows things that we, as outsiders, don't. Probably he feels that the organizational culture needs a shakeup. Companies often devolve into layers of management yes-men after experiencing a period of success and complacency, and he is looking to set the company on the right track going forward.

An example of what happens when you don't shake things up and let the internal execs get too comfy can be found at 001 General Motors Way.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:59 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Ghosn couldn't have just woken up one morning, snapped his fingers, and done this. He, like anyone else in his position, has advisors and lackeys -- employees who do the research, crunch the numbers, and report to him to give him the information he needs. If this move were really such a bad idea, those advisors and number monkeys would likely have been very vocal. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have been, or that he wouldn't have listened.

Plus, they would have contingency plans for something like this. As the article states, this is an EXTREMELY important time for Nissan, and they can't afford mistakes. Big, properly-run corporations never go ahead with this kind of thing without making sure they are covered in case things don't go entirely according to Plan A.

Could the move turn out to be a mistake? Yes. Could it end up being a disaster? Possibly. But to raise a fuss about it now would be silly. We don't know what happened (and what continues to happen) in the board rooms and meetings, so we can't possibly have enough information to be able to accurately predict how things will turn out.

Also, a big to the GM comment above.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
this is what happens when you let the bean counters run the business. next thing you know, they'll be outsourcing all of the sales duties to India or Pakistan.
Too bad its the bean counters who run EVERY business.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:00 AM

Location: a charming town in Connecticut first settled in the 1600s
Originally Posted by d00df00d
Ghosn couldn't have just woken up one morning, snapped his fingers, and done this. He, like anyone else in his position, has advisors and lackeys -- employees who do the research, crunch the numbers, and report to him to give him the information he needs. If this move were really such a bad idea, those advisors and number monkeys would likely have been very vocal. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have been, or that he wouldn't have listened.
You might find it hard to believe, but no one wants to disagree with the CEO. As a result, they are almost always surrounded by yes men.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:01 AM

Location: a charming town in Connecticut first settled in the 1600s
Originally Posted by ArcticW
An example of what happens when you don't shake things up and let the internal execs get too comfy can be found at 001 General Motors Way.
I agree completely. Shaking the organizational culture up is the real reason for the move, in my opinion.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:52 AM
VQ Wizard

The bean counters were brought in when the bean counters were needed. They're already replacing a few models for '07 so I don't see this as a terrible problem. They'll have plenty of time to get it right.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:27 AM
† ErV †

The altima sales are through the roof.. same for infiniti.. they will make it. management comes and goes

Old 03-27-2006, 09:16 PM
Wild for Width

This is not the end. This actully is typical Ghosn business policy (see: radical). He has a bigger picture in mind and he is making decisions based on that. I think they will go through a transition period but when the NAHQ gets up and running and the right teams are assembled things will be on the rise.

I know if I were qualified to work in that area I would not be interested in any domestic automaker and I would be excited about possibly getting a start with a great automaker. I think other people would mirror this view.

This is NOT my last Nissan.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:16 AM
vsamoylov

[QUOTE=4DRSpeed]I actually think its a wise decision. We all know California has some ridiculous taxes. Nissan would save in a bunch of departments moving it to TN.

Also like stated earlier the people who do move will greatly benefit from this. Going from a $1 mil California house you can move into a $300,000 house here that is 3500sqft or more and pocket the rest of the cash.

[QUOTE]

so true about cali

Old 03-28-2006, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
so I should sell my stock?
but it's the highest it has ever been guess we'll see if it is affected.
Nissan's not a stock that I follow, but sometimes when a stock is at a high, it's an opportunity to take some off the table.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:32 AM

[QUOTE=vsamoylov][QUOTE=4DRSpeed]I actually think its a wise decision. We all know California has some ridiculous taxes. Nissan would save in a bunch of departments moving it to TN.

Also like stated earlier the people who do move will greatly benefit from this. Going from a $1 mil California house you can move into a $300,000 house here that is 3500sqft or more and pocket the rest of the cash.

so true about cali
Doesn't seem to always work that way, human nature, I guess. Say a person bought a house in cali for 800, it's now worth a mil, they probably put down 160,000. When all is said and done, they have 360 in equity, but all the shysters take their cut and let's say it's closer to 300. So they get the 300k house free and clear less taxes etc. So maybe it's a couple and they're 27-30, no mortgage. One day 40 years later they retire to FLA, and find, oooops, they can't afford it. But the person who struggled with the 640k mortgage in Cali finds FLA to be a cakewalk.

My theory is you live in a low cost of living area, you don't really have that push to sock away a lot of equity which will be needed upon retirement. If retirement is FLA, the costs are no longer very low. my .02
Old 03-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Project Ruby......

Anybody who doesn't have a mortgage and doesn't sock away that money is an idiot or true american .

But who wants to retire in FLA anymore? My parents just sold there house a few months ago in TN and a person from FLA bought it. The last 6 showings that they had were people from FLA.

Also my point was which I did not make clear is: You can go from a 2500sqft house in California that costs $1Mil+ to living in a 3500sqft house here in TN for $300,000. Or if you still want to own a million dollar house you can get a 5000sqft+ house that sits on a lake for a million around here. Not to mention the housing market is also on its way up. At least in my area.

Also this area will probably turn out to be a place to retire 10 years down the road while FLA keeps getting nailed by the hurricanes. TN is a very nice area to live. Plenty of lakes, mountains for hunting, and not to mention 4 seasons, but have a fairly mild Winter.

I still think its a wise decision for the employees, and Nissan will not be on the downfall. Pure speculation I still think.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by 4DRSpeed

Also my point was which I did not make clear is: You can go from a 2500sqft house in California that costs $1Mil+ to living in a 3500sqft house here in TN for $300,000. Or if you still want to own a million dollar house you can get a 5000sqft+ house that sits on a lake for a million around here. Not to mention the housing market is also on its way up. At least in my area.
I do know what you mean--I think what is clear is that it's a struggle in CA or NYC, or even Boston and more recently DC. imho it's a worthwhile struggle--the pay is much higher, but high enough to overcome the cost of living? Nope...so overall the material standard of living is lower than TN or TX etc. But I just think there's a natural tendency to have more equity in the end when a person or couple struggles in a high cost of living area, simply because of their primary residence. Of course today, 3/28/06, it may be too late, but say over the last 5 years people are sitting pretty even if they get clipped 10-20%.....
Old 03-28-2006, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
are you smoking crack????? i wanna smoke whatever your smoking, it must be some good stuff.
I tell ya, Honda has had alot of financial problems and the Accords are known for being bad cars...
Old 03-28-2006, 03:44 PM
vsamoylov

let me say my part about cali since i moved fro mthere not too long ago. you guys say the high cost of living is justified with a high paying job. true. but not right now in cali. economy over there is bad and finding a job is hard as well. taxes are crazy as well. basically you need a very high paying job to survive out there but like i said trying to get a job is near to impossible right now. plus the housing is crazy expensive as well and people that already own one house buy another one and another one. those people have it made. but people that are just tryign to get a house, well good luck to them. basically you will have a better house for the same price then over there. yes the jobs pay less here but there are more available.