General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Battery drains overnight

Old 04-02-2006, 07:36 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

Battery drains overnight

I don't drive the maxima much these days because I carpool with my wife in her car.

As a result of this, the max can go 2 or 3 weeks without being driven... And even then I only drive it a few miles.

After seeting for 3 weeks I'll get back to the car and find the battery too low to start the engine. I put in a new battery and new alternator, but that didn't help. When the engine is running I get 14.5v and the battery is only 6mo old.

The wierdest thing I see if that when i plug my battery charger is and charge at 10a then it will overheat and shut off for 10 seconds, then it'll turn in , charger for about 15 seconds then overheat again. If I unplug the batter leads and charger JUST the battery then it's fine.

I'm convinced that some device is using too much power when the car is off. Right now the car is stock except for a newer h/u that's been in there with no probs for about 2 years. Plus the MEVI rpm swich which has been there for 2 or 3 years. Other than that it's a factory stick '96 SE.

Anyone got any advice on a common cause for parasitic loss in the max? If I hook up my multimeter betweent he neg bat cable and the neg terminal of the batter then what DC Amps current drain should I expect to see for a car that is off?

I tried pulling all the fuses that were labelled BAT (which I guess means they are always on, as opposed to ACC or IGN) but even with every fuse remove I still got the overheating bat charger.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:09 AM
JFP in PA

The list of what could be pull power is endless: The alarm system, comptuer, cellphone chargers, or anything else you may have added to the electrical system..........My 97 SE has done this since the day it was delivered. Cure: Get a decent battery maintainer, and use it....................