General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I just changed my fuel filter...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 09:17 PM

I just replaced my fuel filter...

Took about 10 minutes...I removed it from the bracket and used an offset phillips head screwdriver to loosen the screw, then hand-turned it the rest of the way. I used the plastic plugs that were on the ends of the new one (which I noticed was 2x longer than the old one) to cover the holes on the old one as I removed the hoses (to minimize the fuel spilling out of the old filter when I removed it). I must have done it correctly because it did start and I drove around the block after I finished, and no leaks when I returned. Woo-Hoo!! What I noticed was that there is no more hesitation when I hit the gas from a stop; immediate throttle response form the pedal! I guess after 91,000 miles, the old one was pretty clogged up.

The only down side are the hives that have broken out on my arm where some gasoline spilled on my skin from the hose as I pulled it off. I showered immediately afterwards and put some hydrocortizone on it, so hopefully it will be gone by the morning.
Old 06-14-2001, 09:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

congrat man...and it only took you 10 mins. I remember when I changed mine, it had to have taken like an hour, 40 of those mins was just taking the tubes off the filter
Old 06-14-2001, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by Supa Lao
congrat man...and it only took you 10 mins. I remember when I changed mine, it had to have taken like an hour, 40 of those mins was just taking the tubes off the filter
I was fully expecting it to take that long...but I got my hands down there allright and the hoses slipped off prettty easily. Dropped the filter once int he process and had to crawl under the car to retrieve it, but that was about it. The most difficult part was getting the bottom hose back on.
Old 06-14-2001, 10:36 PM

Damn ten minutes! 25 minutes is on the average. Usually the hoses get stuck and on the fourth generations you have less space to work with.
Old 06-14-2001, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Nismo
Damn ten minutes! 25 minutes is on the average. Usually the hoses get stuck and on the fourth generations you have less space to work with.
I've been looking/planning on doing this for several months now, so I sort of had a plan of attack going in. The offset screwdriver was the biggest help. I tried a regular length one at first but it kept hitting the ABS lines.
Old 06-15-2001, 01:16 AM

Any particular brand?

What's recommended? How much did you pay for the filter?
Old 06-15-2001, 05:40 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Any particular brand?

Originally posted by hadman
hadman,

Please visit the "4th Generation Maintenance Items" sticky post in the 4th Gen forum. All details are in there.....
Old 06-15-2001, 08:33 AM

Re: Any particular brand?

I'm not sure on the brand, it came in a plain green box and the only marking on the actual filter is a black arrow to sho the direction of the flow...it's about 2x the length of the one I pulled out though.
I got it from an import parts store that is one of my accounts from work. He's ships/recieves his parts w/ my company; I hooked him up with better shipping costs, and he sold me the filter for $5...I think it retailed for around $15, but looking at some of the other posts, I think you can find them around $10 or so.
Old 06-15-2001, 01:08 PM

Re: Re: Any particular brand?

Originally posted by bill99gxe

hadman,

Please visit the "4th Generation Maintenance Items" sticky post in the 4th Gen forum. All details are in there.....
Thanks Bill - Of course I should have looked there. What was I thinking? Just to note, I recently changed my Hood Shocks (lift supports) Didn't check the General Maintenence Items first, but I came out okay. I give an in depth description of what, where, how, on the 3rd Gen forum under "HOOD SHOCKS", if you want to add any info.
I used the Monroe Expert Series @ $19.25 per shock, which I picked up at Carparts.com . Part #901223

Thanks for your help.
Hadley
Old 06-15-2001, 01:22 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Re: Re: Any particular brand?

Thanks Bill - Of course I should have looked there. What was I thinking? Just to note, I recently changed my Hood Shocks (lift supports) Didn't check the General Maintenence Items first, but I came out okay. I give an in depth description of what, where, how, on the 3rd Gen forum under "HOOD SHOCKS", if you want to add any info.
I used the Monroe Expert Series @ $19.25 per shock, which I picked up at Carparts.com . Part #901223

Thanks for your help.
Hadley
hadman,

I've already "cut and pasted" your findings on my computer, with which I'm constructing a similar "3rd Gen Maintenance Items" sticky that will be inserted in the 3rd gen forum sometime next week.

Thanks for your help, and I'll be sure to credit you with that.....
Old 06-15-2001, 01:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Any particular brand?

Originally posted by bill99gxe

hadman,

I've already "cut and pasted" your findings on my computer, with which I'm constructing a similar "3rd Gen Maintenance Items" sticky that will be inserted in the 3rd gen forum sometime next week.

Thanks for your help, and I'll be sure to credit you with that.....
Wow - I am flattered by the gesture. Thank you.

Would like to add at this time, that Altezzas DO INDEED suck, and I am less than thrilled with the BMW headlight conversion. It just doesn't look right, fit right, feel right.

Right?

Regards,
Had
Old 06-15-2001, 02:30 PM

10 minutes?? AND your car had ABS?? Jeez, you're good, real good. I tried it on mine, and got very frustrated with those ABS lines in the way. I gave up and ran to my mechanic

I guess I should have had the offset screwdriver. Is that like a screwdrive at a right angle??

DW

Originally posted by The_quorum

I've been looking/planning on doing this for several months now, so I sort of had a plan of attack going in. The offset screwdriver was the biggest help. I tried a regular length one at first but it kept hitting the ABS lines.
Old 06-15-2001, 04:08 PM

The offset screwdriver...

Yes, it's about 2-3 inches long, and it fits right in the palm of your hand, so if you can get your hand in there you can reach it...and like I said, I just loosened the screw, then used my fingers the rest of the way. The hoses slipped off w/ no problem.
Old 06-15-2001, 07:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: The offset screwdriver...

Sweet! 10 minutes? I think I spent 30 minutes total, but maybe 15 of that cussing!

In any case, I would probably be better off with that offset screwdriver you mentioned or at least a short stubby one.

Also, I got a Fram fuel filter. After reading the recent Maintenance Sticky, I'm now regretting that as it seems that Fram doesn't really make quality filter goods. No matter, I guess I will be replacing it after 15k miles. My bad anyways. I guess I should have been tipped off by the *plastic* upper cap/lid.
Old 06-15-2001, 07:27 PM

The offset screwdriver...

Yes, it's about 2-3 inches long, and it fits right in the palm of your hand, so if you can get your hand in there you can reach it...and like I said, I just loosened the screw, then used my fingers the rest of the way. The hoses slipped off w/ no problem.
Old 06-16-2001, 01:09 PM

Re: Re: The offset screwdriver...

I think you may be confusing FRAM oil filters and fuel filters. It's the oil filters that hace the bad rap. I don't think anything bad has been said about the fuel filters. Besides, the job of a fule filter is much easier than that of an oil filter.

DW

Originally posted by Mishmosh
Sweet! 10 minutes? I think I spent 30 minutes total, but maybe 15 of that cussing!

In any case, I would probably be better off with that offset screwdriver you mentioned or at least a short stubby one.

Also, I got a Fram fuel filter. After reading the recent Maintenance Sticky, I'm now regretting that as it seems that Fram doesn't really make quality filter goods. No matter, I guess I will be replacing it after 15k miles. My bad anyways. I guess I should have been tipped off by the *plastic* upper cap/lid.
Old 06-17-2001, 03:06 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: The offset screwdriver...

Originally posted by dwapenyi
I think you may be confusing FRAM oil filters and fuel filters. It's the oil filters that hace the bad rap.
DW

Yeah, I realised that the sticky was talking about oil filters only. But I guess, that prior to that, I had felt that FRAM was a company that made quality products. Reading the results of the oil filter comparo just destroyed that perception and now I am left wondering...