General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Test Drove a IS300 yesterday 2001 model...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 05:33 AM
RussMaxManiac

At lunch I met up with a friend that had a loaner IS300 from a dealer today. It was a dark red, with tan leather interior. It was really a nice looking car. Interior defintely feels cramped, roof is low, sides are too cramped for me. Dash is funky looking, takes some getting use too....

But some of the good stuff. Car is extremly quiet, about as quiet as the Max at full throttle. Suspension is very soft over bumps, but when asking for demanding manuvers at any speed, point the car and it will go. It does lean a bit as well but it will go where you point it. Acceration is down right good for a auto, but its defintely alot slower than a auto 2k maxima or 5spd for sure. It just took forever to get up to 60 it seemed.

Once I got back in my car, Floored it, oh yeah power baby....., did same evasive manuvers as well, and it did as good as the IS300 personally with a slight more delay of response which is due to the tires I am sure. Brakes compared to the IS300, Maxima brakes are better with MOTUL 600, without not really. But overall, would I pay for that car in a auto?

Heck no. Wait for the 5spd, it will make that car much more fun.

Old 06-19-2001, 07:21 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The IS300 mos IS300s are good for upper 15s. Once rolling, the car is quite a bit quicker. Is it worth the price? I don't think so. The 5 speed will be the one to get, but I even doubt that will graze the 14s stock. It's way out gunned compared to some of the other mid 30K cars out there (330, TL-S, Maxima).

Dave
Old 06-19-2001, 07:48 AM
PhatGuy

Mid 30K cars? You can nab a fully loaded 2K1 5pd AE Max for mid 20K. That is a deal! The IS300 is a wannabe Lexus for upcoming professional women. The interior is garbage and they are trying real hard to make it look cool.

Originally posted by Dave B
The IS300 mos IS300s are good for upper 15s. Once rolling, the car is quite a bit quicker. Is it worth the price? I don't think so. The 5 speed will be the one to get, but I even doubt that will graze the 14s stock. It's way out gunned compared to some of the other mid 30K cars out there (330, TL-S, Maxima).

Dave

Old 06-19-2001, 08:03 AM

The IS300 is rated 0-60 at 7.1 seconds. I have not heard of any auto maximas reach that speed. The IS does have a lower EPA mileage rating though, only 18/23 I think.
Old 06-19-2001, 08:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Isn't there like a turbocharger or superchager for the IS300 that makes around 500hp? I remember someone posted something about this.
Old 06-19-2001, 08:53 AM
PhatGuy

500HP? That is hillarious!

I ran with an IS300 on the highway and pulled on him easily in 3rd and 4th by then I was well ahead (at least 7-10cars) by 120. It is way too small inside for my liking let alone for a Lexus. I hate to say this but there is way more value in a TL-S or CL-S than an IS300. The best deal is still a Max 5spd AE. Imagine all the mods you can do on the Max for the difference in price?

Originally posted by Cumalot
Isn't there like a turbocharger or superchager for the IS300 that makes around 500hp? I remember someone posted something about this.

Old 06-19-2001, 09:20 AM

well

The IS300 engine is basically the old Supra motor minus the two turbo's .. correct me but isn't it the same motor in the GS300 ?

so it wouldn't be that difficult to make a turbo kit for it.. I also read in TURBO mag that someone is developing a S/C kit for it for everyday use..

i think people are just waiting for the manual version to come out b4 they start developing kits for the IS300

Ant
Old 06-19-2001, 09:38 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by Alexis
The IS300 is rated 0-60 at 7.1 seconds. I have not heard of any auto maximas reach that speed. The IS does have a lower EPA mileage rating though, only 18/23 I think.
RWD helps that with traction. But the pull is noticeably stronger in the Maxima.

Old 06-19-2001, 09:56 AM
Administrator

yes you are right Ant..

the IS is a very nice car.. the only problems with the IS are the Tail Lights being ripped by the Accord and that it is a tad bit small.. but its a nice sporty sedan..

I wanted to buy my fiance one next year when the Manual tranny comes out (because she refuses to drive Autos) .. but she said it looked like a hooked up Accord and she doesn't want it anymore
Old 06-19-2001, 10:04 AM
PhatGuy

You have a very smart woman for sure!
Originally posted by SprintMax
yes you are right Ant..

the IS is a very nice car.. the only problems with the IS are the Tail Lights being ripped by the Accord and that it is a tad bit small.. but its a nice sporty sedan..

I wanted to buy my fiance one next year when the Manual tranny comes out (because she refuses to drive Autos) .. but she said it looked like a hooked up Accord and she doesn't want it anymore

Old 06-19-2001, 11:27 AM

Lucky guy! I got an Auto because the wife didn't want to learn manual.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:52 AM
Administrator

She started me off with how to drive a manual tranny car.. other things i learned by myself and from the maxima forums and mailling list...
Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg

Lucky guy! I got an Auto because the wife didn't want to learn manual.
Old 06-19-2001, 12:20 PM

The IS does not use the same engine as the GS300, and a turbo and S/C are both already available. It is a strong engine, with capablilities of 350+ HP fairly easily. The RWD is nice, and has good suspension, especailly with mods, it will be interseting to see what a 5 speed will do. I drove a IS200 in Germany with a smaller engine and 5 speed, it was fun to drive, but not impressively fast, very similar to a BMW 325i (or 323i). The car is based off the Japanese Altezza w/o the turbo and a I-6 instead of a 4 w/turbo, I don't think the GS is a inline....
Old 06-19-2001, 12:25 PM

Actually they do make turbos for the is 300 head over to clublexus.com. To view all the mods. You might be suprised.
In fact here are a few is300 links.

http://www.digicomp.cc/grandtouring/...ezzadrift4.asf

http://www.digitalquest.net/ihfi/ISsmokin.avi

http://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthre...ghlight=videos

That is300 makes 445hp.
Anyone wanna see some gs400 burnouts??
Old 06-19-2001, 02:36 PM
OG :)

Originally posted by Cumalot
Area 51 something located in Florida
Old 06-19-2001, 02:42 PM
OG :)

Originally posted by jran76
The IS does not use the same engine as the GS300, and a turbo and S/C are both already available. It is a strong engine, with capablilities of 350+ HP fairly easily. The RWD is nice, and has good suspension, especailly with mods, it will be interseting to see what a 5 speed will do. I drove a IS200 in Germany with a smaller engine and 5 speed, it was fun to drive, but not impressively fast, very similar to a BMW 325i (or 323i). The car is based off the Japanese Altezza w/o the turbo and a I-6 instead of a 4 w/turbo, I don't think the GS is a inline....
GS300 is inline
IS200 comes with 6-speeed

Strong automatic too
Old 06-19-2001, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth

GS300 is inline
IS200 comes with 6-speeed

Strong automatic too
One thing for sure is IS 300 is got way more MOD products than our maximas, plus way more good companies(HKS, Tein, TRD, RodMillen, etc) that are willing to make parts for that car than maximas..it's like buying a Honda Civic...they have more choices than we do..as we all know some of us really hate Stillen. With IS300, you wont' have that problem, dont' like this company, there are always better companies from Japan, in Japan that have parts for it!

One thing to think about!!!
Old 06-19-2001, 08:11 PM

anyone driven a 328i and then a is300? which one pulls harder? 5speed AUTO bmw vs. auto is300
Old 06-19-2001, 08:14 PM
Administrator

you really need to learn how to drive a manual tranny and stop living the AUTO dream
Originally posted by AznWontonboy
anyone driven a 328i and then a is300? which one pulls harder? 5speed AUTO bmw vs. auto is300
Old 06-19-2001, 08:44 PM
EZ

My roommate has an IS300 and we did a lot of research before the buy. It does have the GS300 inline 6. Toyota doesn't have that many different engines so they reuse theirs in varying models. There are some subtle differences between the GS300 and the IS300 in the powertrain, but the block is basically the same. It is actually the same block they use in the NA supra. The SupraTT used a different block with a lower compression ratio so you can't get the same horsepower from the IS300 as you can from the Supra from simple bolt ons.

The car feels about as fast as my 96 Max but the suspension is waaaaaaaaaaaay better. It absorbs bumps very very well and yet corners like its on rails (skidpad by varying mags say around 0.9 Gs). Interior is nice but man, there is no armrest

In an autocross, with the same level driver, the IS300 will run circles around the Max. But they are right, compared to a 5sp, there is no pull.
Old 06-19-2001, 09:03 PM

you really need to learn how to drive a manual tranny and stop living the AUTO dream
listen, its my car, and i live in LA, which means heavy traffic.
Old 06-19-2001, 09:07 PM
PhatGuy

That might be true but bottomline the Maxima is lower cost....and take a look at some videos being posted... There are SC Maxima's running with Supra TT. What else do you need to know?

Originally posted by MaxTuner

One thing for sure is IS 300 is got way more MOD products than our maximas, plus way more good companies(HKS, Tein, TRD, RodMillen, etc) that are willing to make parts for that car than maximas..it's like buying a Honda Civic...they have more choices than we do..as we all know some of us really hate Stillen. With IS300, you wont' have that problem, dont' like this company, there are always better companies from Japan, in Japan that have parts for it!

One thing to think about!!!

Old 06-20-2001, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by AznWontonboy

listen, its my car, and i live in LA, which means heavy traffic.
So, I live in LA as well.
Old 06-20-2001, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
That might be true but bottomline the Maxima is lower cost....and take a look at some videos being posted... There are SC Maxima's running with Supra TT. What else do you need to know?

What is your point then? you want lower cost, maxima is considered expensive for modding to begin with. I think you know what I am talking about!

Hint: Hondas with motor swap/turbo can run fater than any SCed maxs!!!

I am saying about reliablity issues and quality parts, major comapanies from Japan have that...Stillen "might" have that but not quite!
Old 06-20-2001, 02:28 AM

Hello EZ, I was about to post that the is300 does have the gs300 but you beat me to it. The exact same thing. The GS makes slightly more HP due to the DUAL exhaust, but weighs more of course.
Old 06-20-2001, 06:56 AM
PhatGuy

Well comparing Civics to Maxima (why you brought this up I have no idea?)

Civic=2 door
Maxima=4 door

Civic=cloth seats basic dash controls
Maxima=leather seats auto climate control etc..

The Civic weighs less....the Maxima Looks better. Maxima is considered a family sedan as well. Go ahead buy the Civic and race around. I'll take the Maxima when taking ladies out or travelling any day!

Ok Back to the IS300 issue here are some basic mods for the 2k1 5pd Max AE (~$24,000US car brand new fully loaded!)

Stillen FSTB $189 (or less) (2 other options)
RSB $210 (or less) (2 other options)
Cattman True CAI $199 (at least 4 other options)
Eibachs $230 (or less) (lots of options)
Tokicos ~$500 (a few other options)
Y-Pipe $299-$399 (stick with stillen or cattman)
Cat Backs...custom...stillen..hks $500 (this is overpriced)
Short Shifter $249
Brushed Aluminum Dash Kit $210
Lighting (clears bulbs) $400

~$3,000US in mods from a stock Maxima 2K1 5pd AE. Approx value after mods $27,000US for this car brand new! Put this lowered, approx 260HP, sweet sounding, short shifting, original looking car beside a still more expensive IS300 or even a TL-S or CL-S? Can you buy any of those three cars new with same options as the Maxima for $27,000US let alone with the mods in question? And you still got approx $3000.00US in your pocket.....

All those bolts ons are pretty standard. The only quality issue might be the SC ($5k). I've seen some crazy fast SC Max and any car doing heavy engine mods would be looking at issues along the line. I personally won't be doing an SC not because of possible quality issues but for the fact the 3.5L 260HP 6pd Stock Max will be out soon and will pick one of those up in the spring of 2002 (after our crazy winter).

Originally posted by MaxTuner

What is your point then? you want lower cost, maxima is considered expensive for modding to begin with. I think you know what I am talking about!

Hint: Hondas with motor swap/turbo can run fater than any SCed maxs!!!

I am saying about reliablity issues and quality parts, major comapanies from Japan have that...Stillen "might" have that but not quite!

Old 06-20-2001, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
The IS300 mos IS300s are good for upper 15s. Once rolling, the car is quite a bit quicker.
Dave
I raced an IS on the hiway shortly after breaking in my Max and it was no contest. I pulled steadily away and I have an auto. We raced from about 65 up to 110 before we caught up with traffic in front. I also drove one at the Edmunds.com driving event last summer and they do not feel nearly as quick as an auto Max. As someone else pointed out, they do handle like they are on rails, though. A 6 speed would make that car a blast to drive.

Too bad Edmunds is not having that driving event this year. $10 and you can beat the hell out of IS300s, I30s, 323i, Acura ??, Audi 1.8T, and a few others. All you clould hear was screaming tires and revving engines. Fun city. Best $10 I ever spent.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:22 AM
Dim Sum

they are slow. more luxury than performance if you ask me.

Old 06-20-2001, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by Lordrandall

So, I live in LA as well.
well, ur pro?
Old 06-20-2001, 07:10 PM
EZ

Originally posted by TexMaximum
Hello EZ, I was about to post that the is300 does have the gs300 but you beat me to it. The exact same thing. The GS makes slightly more HP due to the DUAL exhaust, but weighs more of course.
Did you know some dude modded his IS300 to like 500hp!

Waaaay more moddable than the Max.

EZ
Old 06-20-2001, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by jran76
Actually, it is the same engine as the GS300, but the limited engine bay space of the IS takes 5hp from the GS's engine, due to more restrictive exhaust piping.

In answer to whether the IS300 or auto 330i is quicker, the 330 is faster, accelerationwise. However, I've driven both through the autocross, and the IS handles just a smidge better. The Is has GREAT steering, whereas the 330i I drove had the overboosted steering that BMW put on early 2001 models. BMW has since replaced it with the old stiffer steering, so I think both the 330 and IS are equal handlers now.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:33 PM
PhatGuy

I'm sure a Max could as well if you have enough money!

Originally posted by EZ

Did you know some dude modded his IS300 to like 500hp!

Waaaay more moddable than the Max.

EZ

Old 06-21-2001, 07:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

500HP? That is hillarious!

I ran with an IS300 on the highway and pulled on him easily in 3rd and 4th by then I was well ahead (at least 7-10cars) by 120. It is way too small inside for my liking let alone for a Lexus. I hate to say this but there is way more value in a TL-S or CL-S than an IS300. The best deal is still a Max 5spd AE. Imagine all the mods you can do on the Max for the difference in price?

If you check out is300.net you'll see dyno scans of IS300's with custom turbo kits putting out well over 500hp to the rear wheels -- namely from Toyomoto in Miami. Those motors have TREMENDOUS aftermarket potential, especially when you consider forced induction. Yes it's costly and, yes, you're more likely to run up against as stock one than a 500hp one, but it certainly is possible and they are out there. Stock to stock my TL took my friend Damion's IS300 in a drag race so it's pretty safe to say that drag racing isn't the IS300's strong suit. Having driven it several times, it's pretty clear the IS300 is all about handling and braking -- both of which I found to be top-notch, although at 6'7" the interior is a little cramped for my taste.

As far as the Maxima 5-speed AE being the ultimate performance value, I offer you my friend Josh's timeslips with that exact car:

http://onicam.com/dontlookinhere/MaxTimeSlip1.jpg
http://onicam.com/dontlookinhere/MaxTimeSlip2.jpg

Not exactly stunning, but then again 1/4 mile times aren't the only measure of a car's value.
Old 06-21-2001, 07:43 AM
PhatGuy

Good point! How much do you think it is going to cost to have a 500HP (haven't seen the dyno) IS 300?

A side note:
As far as the Acura TL-S being the ultimate performance value, I offer you my friend Jack's timeslips with that exact car:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/phat/TLSTimeSlip.jpg
http://www3.sympatico.ca/phat/TLSTimeslip2.jpg

Oh wait maybe that was the timeslip for a 911 TT???

Your a joker! You post your timeslips and rename them Maxtimeslip! Take that crap somewhere else! Either that or you and your buddy should learn how to drive!
Originally posted by RAdams

If you check out is300.net you'll see dyno scans of IS300's with custom turbo kits putting out well over 500hp to the rear wheels -- namely from Toyomoto in Miami. Those motors have TREMENDOUS aftermarket potential, especially when you consider forced induction. Yes it's costly and, yes, you're more likely to run up against as stock one than a 500hp one, but it certainly is possible and they are out there. Stock to stock my TL took my friend Damion's IS300 in a drag race so it's pretty safe to say that drag racing isn't the IS300's strong suit. Having driven it several times, it's pretty clear the IS300 is all about handling and braking -- both of which I found to be top-notch, although at 6'7" the interior is a little cramped for my taste.

As far as the Maxima 5-speed AE being the ultimate performance value, I offer you my friend Josh's timeslips with that exact car:

http://onicam.com/dontlookinhere/MaxTimeSlip1.jpg
http://onicam.com/dontlookinhere/MaxTimeSlip2.jpg

Not exactly stunning, but then again 1/4 mile times aren't the only measure of a car's value.

Old 06-21-2001, 07:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Good point! How much do you think it is going to cost to have a 500HP (haven't seen the dyno) IS 300?

A side note:
As far as the Acura TL-S being the ultimate performance value, I offer you my friend Jack's timeslips with that exact car:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/phat/TLSTimeSlip.jpg
http://www3.sympatico.ca/phat/TLSTimeslip2.jpg

Oh wait maybe that was the timeslip for a 911 TT???

Too funny!
Go to http://www.onicam.com

Click the first link under the title "Pictures". It's titled "2001 Nissan Maxima AE"

There you can see pictures of my buddy Josh's car.

Given the fact that I'm a TL owner and new to this site I can't fault you for assuming I was BS'ing, but I assure you I haven't the time or the desire to do so.

You certainly can't accuse me of whipping that site up since my last post just to bolster my point.

They're not my timeslips, either. I live in Hollywood, FL. My area code is 954. The timeslips clearly show that the track is in area code 301. I'm all for road trips, but certainly not one that long just to hit up the track.

Lastly, my friend can drive quite well. His previous car: http://onicam.com/dontlookinhere/oldcarpic.jpg ran 12.40. I don't know how his skills compare to anyone else here, but his ability isn't the issue.
Old 06-21-2001, 08:02 AM
PhatGuy

Would you like to see pics of my friend Jack's car? I can do that too! I really don't care about area codes and crap. Acura people make me laugh...posting that crap in here!
Originally posted by RAdams

Go to http://www.onicam.com

Click the first link under the title "Pictures". It's titled "2001 Nissan Maxima AE"

There you can see pictures of my buddy Josh's car.

Given the fact that I'm a TL owner and new to this site I can't fault you for assuming I was BS'ing, but I assure you I haven't the time or the desire to do so.

You certainly can't accuse me of whipping that site up since my last post just to bolster my point.

They're not my timeslips, either. I live in Hollywood, FL. My area code is 954. The timeslips clearly show that the track is in area code 301. I'm all for road trips, but certainly not one that long just to hit up the track.

Lastly, my friend can drive quite well. His previous car: http://onicam.com/dontlookinhere/oldcarpic.jpg ran 12.40. I don't know how his skills compare to anyone else here, but his ability isn't the issue.

Old 06-21-2001, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by greggmax

I raced an IS on the hiway shortly after breaking in my Max and it was no contest. I pulled steadily away and I have an auto. We raced from about 65 up to 110 before we caught up with traffic in front. I also drove one at the Edmunds.com driving event last summer and they do not feel nearly as quick as an auto Max. As someone else pointed out, they do handle like they are on rails, though. A 6 speed would make that car a blast to drive.

Too bad Edmunds is not having that driving event this year. $10 and you can beat the hell out of IS300s, I30s, 323i, Acura ??, Audi 1.8T, and a few others. All you clould hear was screaming tires and revving engines. Fun city. Best $10 I ever spent.

Yep the Edmunds Live event was the best. I paid $15 and it was worth every cent. I would have paid $50 for the event. It was that much fun. The near luxury cars were fun, but the little cheap cars were also fun, since you can wring every last drop of performance out of those Civics and Corollas on the small track they set up there. I remember when I drove the Maxima GLE like a madman through the little autocross, the Edmunds guy commented that I "drove pretty well" after I got out of the car, and I answered, "yeah I already have a Maxima" and the guy said "yep, I can tell."
Old 06-21-2001, 08:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Would you like to see pics of my friend Jack's car? I can do that too! I really don't care about area codes and crap. Acura people make me laugh...posting that crap in here!
This will be my final post to this thread since you're obviously unable to hold an intelligent conversation without resorting to idiotic generalizations such as "Acura people".

It's all a little too "conspiracy theory" for me, but perhaps I:

Made up my friend Josh.
Made up those timeslips.
Researched exactly what a 2001 Maxima AE looked like so I didn't post the wrong fake pics.
Found said pics somewhere on the net and posted them, being extra careful not to grab pics from some maxima.org member's website so that they wouldn't recognize me backing up my "lie" with a pic of their own car.
Altered the date of the pics so it doesn't look like I posted them today.
Threw together several other areas of onicam.com so it looked to be an older, more established site.

...All in 15 minutes.

It's a good thing I don't resort to the same tactics you do, because it wouldn't say much for "Maxima people" if I did.