General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

This is what happens when a Sentra hits you...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001 | 08:56 PM

When it rains, it pours...

http://hometown.aol.com/roomwith8vie...age/photo.html

I got rear ended about 4 weeks ago, and am just starting to get that situation resolved. Today, when going to pick up my daughter from daycare, I didn't see this Sentra racing through the intersection I was tring to cross, and as I moved my nose out to cross the road, our corners hit each other. She hit me HARD (going well over the posted 35mph limit). I went spinning and lost the front of my car. I walked away, she claimed back and neck injuries, though she was able to do a "head wag" at me when she scolded me for the accident before anyone showed up, and mamaged to use her cell phone to call (in this order): 1) Budget rent a car to cancel a reservation, 2) then call her husband, 3)THEN called the police (at which point her back pain suddenly became unbearable...and she's never had back problems before...and her neck hurts now, and suddenly can't move...blah, blah, blah...). She actually got taken away in an ambulance but the officer said it was "standard procedure" and not to worry about it; I think he had his doubts too.

I got the citation, but the officer was cool...he couldn't figure out what to give me because the circumstances didn't fit any of the standard violations but he had to give me a citation because there was an injury involved; so he gave me a silly "fail to reduce speed in an uncontrolled intersection" ($65/1 point). As he put it, it was the smallest thing he could find. He then proceeded to tell me (in so few words) that I should go to court because he mayu be too busy to go himself, or would "probably completely forget all pertinant details regarding the accident anyway" ...

What sucks is that I haven't even got the rear-end repaired yet...and now this happens. And I'm sure the good 'ol insurance rates will get hiked this time.

Ces't la vie...
Old 06-19-2001 | 09:06 PM

Originally posted by The_quorum
When it rains, it pours...

http://hometown.aol.com/roomwith8vie...age/photo.html

I got rear ended about 4 weeks ago, and am just starting to get that situation resolved. Today, when going to pick up my daughter from daycare, I didn't see this Sentra racing through the intersection I was tring to cross, and as I moved my nose out to cross the road, our corners hit each other. She hit me HARD (going well over the posted 35mph limit). I went spinning and lost the front of my car. I walked away, she claimed back and neck injuries, though she was able to do a "head wag" at me when she scolded me for the accident before anyone showed up, and mamaged to use her cell phone to call (in this order): 1) Budget rent a car to cancel a reservation, 2) then call her husband, 3)THEN called the police (at which point her back pain suddenly became unbearable...and she's never had back problems before...and her neck hurts now, and suddenly can't move...blah, blah, blah...). She actually got taken away in an ambulance but the officer said it was "standard procedure" and not to worry about it; I think he had his doubts too.

I got the citation, but the officer was cool...he couldn't figure out what to give me because the circumstances didn't fit any of the standard violations but he had to give me a citation because there was an injury involved; so he gave me a silly "fail to reduce speed in an uncontrolled intersection" ($65/1 point). As he put it, it was the smallest thing he could find. He then proceeded to tell me (in so few words) that I should go to court because he mayu be too busy to go himself, or would "probably completely forget all pertinant details regarding the accident anyway" ...

What sucks is that I haven't even got the rear-end repaired yet...and now this happens. And I'm sure the good 'ol insurance rates will get hiked this time.

Ces't la vie...
sorry to here, stupid drivers these days.
Old 06-19-2001 | 09:15 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

...I went spinning and lost the front of my car. I walked away, ...
Glad you're ok... count yourselves very lucky... if you were out another 5 feet...
Old 06-19-2001 | 09:27 PM

Definitely!

It is just a car after all. I'm actually thrilled that in both cases where I was hit, I could walk out of the vehicle. I think it says a lot for the safety design. Now granted, neither one of the incidents went through the passenger cage, but still, it took quite a beating and I'm ok.
Old 06-19-2001 | 10:30 PM

Re: Definitely!

It is just a car after all. I'm actually thrilled that in both cases where I was hit, I could walk out of the vehicle. I think it says a lot for the safety design. Now granted, neither one of the incidents went through the passenger cage, but still, it took quite a beating and I'm ok.
Right on!
The most important thing is that you're OK. Cars are essentially metal/plastic/etc., but skin and bone? No comparison!
Old 06-19-2001 | 10:34 PM

Thats bs y did the cop give u a ticket. Thats got to be the dumbest thing i ever heard.
Old 06-19-2001 | 11:00 PM

Originally posted by GoLdEn MaX
Thats bs y did the cop give u a ticket. Thats got to be the dumbest thing i ever heard.
Technically, I had a stop sign, she didn't, but it's not like I ran it or anything. I stopped, prceeded through one lane of traffic to the center (divided highway would be the best way to explain it), stopped again, and got hit trying to pull away from there...What kills me is that I pointed out that she had to have been speeding becasue she came out of nowhere, but because there were no skid marks from her car for the officer to measure, there was no way to detemine her speed; despite the fact that her much smaller sentra managed to royally mess up my larger maxima and spin it bass-ackwards. So I guess the next time I'm speeding, and about to hit someone, I'll keep my foot away from the brakes, right? And why didn't she swerve...we're talking inches here...she had an empty lane to her right and time to move her hands to honk her horn at me...but not enough to move the wheel a bit to avoid me???
Old 06-20-2001 | 12:29 AM

And why didn't she swerve...we're talking inches here...she had an empty lane to her right and time to move her hands to honk her horn at me...but not enough to move the wheel a bit to avoid me???
She was probably on the phone.

Glad you are OK, and didn't have your daughter in the car yet! Get a good lawyer, it's probably the best thing you can do to make sure she pays.

Good luck!
Old 06-20-2001 | 02:37 AM

looks like she is going to try and sue you. "Oh my back, oh my neck and my back."
Old 06-20-2001 | 04:12 AM

Women who knows? They can't drive maybe they should stay off the streets! My father was driving and he was picking something up so he was just cruising when all of a sudden
someone smokes him! ripped up all the rear end of the car!

and sorry to all the women drivers on this board!!
Old 06-20-2001 | 04:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sorry about you luck,

Glad you're OK, though.

I was rear ended about a month ago by some girl driving an old Tercel. I was stopped while a gate was opening ahead of me and I looked in my rear view mirror and I saw this car coming and the driver was looking down . So, I saw it coming, but there was nothing I could do, sure enough she hit me, but luckily all I got was a scratch. Still, makes me mad that some people either don't know how to drive, or don't pay attention when they drive.
Old 06-20-2001 | 07:19 AM

Sounds like it was your fault but-->>

anyway I didn't believe in the neck injury stuff either until I got hit from the side.. I didn't feel anything the first day but when I came to work my neck started killing me while looking at my computer monitor.. I had to adjust my chair in the office but it kept on hurting.. Though I'm sure if she hurts it's due to a bunch of pulled muscles in her neck and back but still that **** hurts.. Thing is, my mom wasn't hurt but she was in better shape than I was at that time.. She was in a Yoga class during lunch for the pass 3 weeks so she was a bit more nimble than I was.. I've been in accidents that seem to have more force on impact but I used to be in much better shape back then... Now I'm fat and lazy so any accident will hurt me #:>)
Old 06-20-2001 | 08:18 AM

I was rear ended too by one of our family members, it was a woman driving an Altima. I was getting off 128 North to an exit with a yield sign, because this is a big round rotary, and all of a sudden I was jolted forward. It sounded worst than what happened, all that was left was her license plate screws making it's impression on my rear bumper, I will take a pic of that sometimes, but I did not want to file anything, plus she was cute and I said it's ohright and we just exchanged insurance info. I didn't want to go to through the hassle.
Old 06-20-2001 | 08:32 AM

For those below the New England States-->>

a rotary is a Traffic Circle.. I was in Mass early this year and I was getting directions and the locals were like go around the rotary...I was like WTF??

Originally posted by ßaller
I was rear ended too by one of our family members, it was a woman driving an Altima. I was getting off 128 North to an exit with a yield sign, because this is a big round rotary, and all of a sudden I was jolted forward. It sounded worst than what happened, all that was left was her license plate screws making it's impression on my rear bumper, I will take a pic of that sometimes, but I did not want to file anything, plus she was cute and I said it's ohright and we just exchanged insurance info. I didn't want to go to through the hassle.
Old 06-20-2001 | 08:34 AM

Re: For those below the New England States-->>

Originally posted by Washington DC Maxima
a rotary is a Traffic Circle.. I was in Mass early this year and I was getting directions and the locals were like go around the rotary...I was like WTF??

Eban, you mean to tell me there is no rotary in DC?
Old 06-20-2001 | 03:46 PM

Re: For those below the New England States-->>

Originally posted by Washington DC Maxima

I HATE traffic circles. Their theory is sound, but in practice, people around here don't know how to use them. Take all of the new circles they put around Columbia, for example. I can't tell you the number of times I've almost been hit because people just go straight into them without stopping, not thinking that the cars IN the circle have the "right-of-way".
Old 06-20-2001 | 03:54 PM

Re: Re: For those below the New England States-->>

I HATE traffic circles. Their theory is sound, but in practice, people around here don't know how to use them. Take all of the new circles they put around Columbia, for example. I can't tell you the number of times I've almost been hit because people just go straight into them without stopping, not thinking that the cars IN the circle have the "right-of-way".
C'est la vie! Les ****s comme ceci arrive à vous! Vous devriez vous rendre compte que vous soyez chanceux que vous n'avez pas des lésions dorsales! [ clin d'oeil ] peut-être son heure pour vous de peindre la voiture entière!!! La La de C'est luttent!