General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

why dont people like Maxima styling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001, 04:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are they stupid? I think the current Max is the best looking Maxima ever. I was iffy about the rear end at first, but it grew on me (kind of like my wife) And now I think it looks good.

Here is a review from Autoweek, June 25, 2001:

Old 06-20-2001, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by JimmyH
Are they stupid?
You know what? This comment makes you seem stupid. I'm not trying to flame you here, but think about it. Everyone has their own opinion, and that's why there are so many different cars. If everyone liked the same look on a car, every car would look exactly alike. How boring would that be?
Old 06-20-2001, 04:34 PM
The missing moderator

err... so say you don't like McDonalds... or Macs does that make YOU stupid? Probably not huh? It's called PERSONAL TASTE.

-Shing
Old 06-20-2001, 04:36 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I was iffy about the rear end at first, but it grew on me (kind of like my wife) And now I think it looks good.
LMMFAO....

I think the rear end looks a bit stupid with the tailights and retarted bumper, I liked the 97-99 rear end a bit more... it was more agressive.... The front of the 5th gen is pretty nice though... I like it... Still, they were trying too hard, but it's not that bad, ofcourse nowhere as pretty as a 3rd gen is but thats another thread...
Old 06-20-2001, 04:50 PM

style/trends

Originally posted by Shingles
err... so say you don't like McDonalds... or Macs does that make YOU stupid? Probably not huh? It's called PERSONAL TASTE.

-Shing
There is such a thing as style or setting trends. It's pretty certain by now that nobody is gonna be following the 5th gen's lead, not even Nissan.

Is a Kobe shoe really that much better than a 3 year-old Asics? Is it possible to think a 5th gen looks better than a BMW 5-series? Of course, it's personal opinion. I keep seeing 2 brand-new temp tagged TL-S in our company lot, and I think they look good, far better than a 30th anniv Maxima in the lot which in my opinion looks really ugly.

But the best judgement is when you have no stake in it. I don't own a 5th gen and I think it's ugly. I don't own a TL-S but I think it looks nice. I don't own a BMW 5 and I think the 97+ version looks great. The 2001 530i looks better than a 1997 540i, due to clears and front grille. Is it a better car? No. But style is personal.
Old 06-20-2001, 05:27 PM
The missing moderator

Re: style/trends

Well put... I don't own a 5th gen or a current 5 series, although M5 would be nice. I don't think the 5th gens are great looking, HOWEVER, I don't think they are that ugly. In my opinion, they are ok. I however wouldn't buy one though... why? I couldn't live with it daily... and by that I mean I can't live with the styling daily. After all I DO have to look at her everyday. the I30 however is a different story. I think the car is VERY well styled and look great. It's a classy style, and dare I say, almost timeless, like the 300ZX.

-Shing

Originally posted by pmar

There is such a thing as style or setting trends. It's pretty certain by now that nobody is gonna be following the 5th gen's lead, not even Nissan.

Is a Kobe shoe really that much better than a 3 year-old Asics? Is it possible to think a 5th gen looks better than a BMW 5-series? Of course, it's personal opinion. I keep seeing 2 brand-new temp tagged TL-S in our company lot, and I think they look good, far better than a 30th anniv Maxima in the lot which in my opinion looks really ugly.

But the best judgement is when you have no stake in it. I don't own a 5th gen and I think it's ugly. I don't own a TL-S but I think it looks nice. I don't own a BMW 5 and I think the 97+ version looks great. The 2001 530i looks better than a 1997 540i, due to clears and front grille. Is it a better car? No. But style is personal.
Old 06-20-2001, 05:31 PM
I'm needing a caw

The reason is Nissan is willing to take chances. Radical styling means some will like it alot or hate it. It's refreshing to see a company take chances rather than just seeing bland styling. BMW,Mercedes,Honda,Acura,Lexus all make good looking cars but none that are really radically different than the last gen. Evolution styling or not, it's still not really radical or chance taking.

Are they stupid? I think the current Max is the best looking Maxima ever. I was iffy about the rear end at first, but it grew on me (kind of like my wife) And now I think it looks good.

Old 06-20-2001, 06:43 PM

You know, I have to wonder why I post to this board. And why I went as far as to put a sticker on my rear window. Everytime I make a comment, it seems someone has to jump out to disagree with me.

I make a comment that I think the current Maxima looks great. And I get called stupid. On a Maxima board. Maybe I asked for it. I don't know. I didn't call anyone stupid. I asked if the automotive press is stupid for constantly bashing the Maxima. I guess the answer is no. They have personal opinions.

And then I get comparisons to BMW (which is a WAY different market of buyers, I don't care what anyone says) and, gee wiz, fast-food and shoes.

I am sorry to all of you. I dont think I am in the right place on this board. The most common topic here is how fast we can go, how much add-on equipment we can buy to go faster, will the next Maxima be faster than the Jones' etc etc etc. And I remember at a Supra board, all the Supra owners jumping all over the "rice" Maxima. And I have seen all the Maxima owners here jump all over the "rice" Civic. Survival of the fittest, right here on the internet. Where if you don't street race, you're a nobody. If you don't win you're inferior. And when I made a statement that I think street racing is dangerous, I was automatically a cry-baby who was trying to steal everyone's fun.

Sorry for digressing. I applaud Nissan for styling a car unlike the masses. Most of the cars out there DO look the same, and it because most people DO like the same style as everybody else. Which is just fine. Nothing wrong with it. That's what sells.

The 4th gen Max looks just like a Camry. And don't hit me for that statement. I owned a 4th gen. And they look good too. Despite the fact that the press bashed it. Personal opinion is fine, and all that, but there has to be somebody in the press who likes the Maxima for more than it's horsepower. But I haven't found one. Do you think the Maxima would be popular with the journals if it only had 170 hp?

But what do i know. Everybody call me stupid again. I guess I deserve it.
Old 06-20-2001, 07:24 PM

well

driving up to the high school the other day to pick up my teen daughter,I find her sitting there curbside waiting, along with about 7 or 8 guys, for their rides. As she later tells me, as my Maxima approached, the guys' jaws dropped and they all commented, something along the lines of.."that is one sweet looking car"..so I dunno. I guess it depends on how certain styling elements strike a person.
I've had a number of people come up to me with questions along the lines of..."what is that?.it definitely doesnt look north american"

thats about the best compliment I could ask for!!!!

I've also found that owners who typically drive something a little out of the ordinary, alway recognize a Maxima for the unique characteristics and qualities it posseses.
Old 06-20-2001, 07:44 PM

Hey, first of all Jimmy H did not call any of us stooopid, he was referencing to the article. Jimmy, the 5th gen I did not like at first, but it grew on me also. On a side note, you best not let your wife see this post.

The compliment that stuck to me on my 4th gen 1995 GLE Arctic or Icelandic Pearl car was this lady at work said, "Hey that's a nice Camry." Me was like huh!? I said to her it is a Max-Ceeeeeee-Maaaaaa. Just like that too. Sheesh!

I am jealous of my girl, she gets more stares from girls than I do I guess she so purdy, cute'n'all.
Old 06-20-2001, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by Lordrandall

You know what? This comment makes you seem stupid. I'm not trying to flame you here, but think about it. Everyone has their own opinion, and that's why there are so many different cars. If everyone liked the same look on a car, every car would look exactly alike. How boring would that be?
True. I think the 5th gen Max is alright but I think they could have done a better job stepping away from the 4th gens design.

"A fellow Max owner with an opinion."
Old 06-20-2001, 07:55 PM

You know, I have to wonder why I post to this board. And why I went as far as to put a sticker on my rear window. Everytime I make a comment, it seems someone has to jump out to disagree with me.

I make a comment that I think the current Maxima looks great. And I get called stupid. On a Maxima board. Maybe I asked for it. I don't know. I didn't call anyone stupid. I asked if the automotive press is stupid for constantly bashing the Maxima. I guess the answer is no. They have personal opinions.

And then I get comparisons to BMW (which is a WAY different market of buyers, I don't care what anyone says) and, gee wiz, fast-food and shoes.

I am sorry to all of you. I dont think I am in the right place on this board. The most common topic here is how fast we can go, how much add-on equipment we can buy to go faster, will the next Maxima be faster than the Jones' etc etc etc. And I remember at a Supra board, all the Supra owners jumping all over the "rice" Maxima. And I have seen all the Maxima owners here jump all over the "rice" Civic. Survival of the fittest, right here on the internet. Where if you don't street race, you're a nobody. If you don't win you're inferior. And when I made a statement that I think street racing is dangerous, I was automatically a cry-baby who was trying to steal everyone's fun.

Sorry for digressing. I applaud Nissan for styling a car unlike the masses. Most of the cars out there DO look the same, and it because most people DO like the same style as everybody else. Which is just fine. Nothing wrong with it. That's what sells.

The 4th gen Max looks just like a Camry. And don't hit me for that statement. I owned a 4th gen. And they look good too. Despite the fact that the press bashed it. Personal opinion is fine, and all that, but there has to be somebody in the press who likes the Maxima for more than it's horsepower. But I haven't found one. Do you think the Maxima would be popular with the journals if it only had 170 hp?

Hey, if you want to be "included" with the big crowd, go street racing with the cool guys and hang with them. If you hang out with Thomas and Loren, people will worship you!

I am just like you, I wasn't able to meet with the people on this board because I live in Canada, so therefore I was being excluded on this board! Don't feel bad! It's all about hanging around, illegal street racing, smoking crack and drunk driving......
Old 06-20-2001, 09:08 PM
The missing moderator

I think Jimmy it's the word usage... You started off saying folks are stupid for not liking the max. Great if you like it... but there is such a thing as personal taste, and there's no reason for calling people/reviewers stupid for not likeing what you like.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:28 PM

Look Jimmy, I wasn't calling you stupid. No one was calling you stupid. I said it makes you seem stupid when you make this statement.

Why don't people like Maxima styling? Are they stupid?
Nowhere in that statement is anything about the press, or what their opinions could be. I'm here for some very good reasons, and I hope you are as well. I like learning more about my car, and what people have done to it. There are some great people here who are very friendly. I like seeing and expanding the aftermarket availability for the Maxima, even if I don't put every gadget out there on my car.

Just for the record:

1. I completely agree with you about street racing. Racing has it's place, and it's not the street.

2. I jump all over the rice Maximas too.

3. I love that Nissan has a different styling flavor than other companies, but I don't always have to like it.

No offence intended, I hope none taken.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:39 PM

Jimmey we're not calling you stupid.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
Just because you like it doesn't mean that everyone else likes it.
I admit I like the styling of the 4th gen over the 5th gen.
Do you see me going out and trading in my 5th gen?
If you like it go ahead and floss it.
If people talk... let them talk.
Its not you we have a problem with.
Its the way you try to make us view things we got a problem with

Another thing. I'm all down for street racing.
Well in Dallas lately people have been getting shot and a lot of immature things have been happening.
We just seem to cut down a little.

Now as for rice maximas.
Hell yea i got one ricey maxima
That's cause i like my blue lights.
I floss my blue lights.
How many 5th gen's do you see with 3 side markers that are all blue?

Go ahead call me rice. See if i care?

Now you try.
Old 06-20-2001, 10:47 PM

Hey Jimmy H, I have two bone stock Maximas. I mean as stock as they can get and a very good percentage of the people who post here don't like stock Maximas. Some people like yellow some people like blue. I don't agree that I have to race or rice out my Maxima. I still post here wether people like stock or not. I give a rats a$$ if people don't like my Maximas, let alone if they have something negative to say. But that makes the world go around. We are here to speak and listen to other peoples opinions. Ofcourse you're not going to agree with what everybody says. Don't let one or two people fu** it up for
you. There was no harm intended!!! Dont take this too personal because life doesn't end here. Stay with us. If it wasn't for the internet what would you be doing instead of being on this site??? There are good people here!!!!!!
SEE YA AROUND!!!
Old 06-20-2001, 10:51 PM

Everyone has their own personal taste. Personally, I like the 4th gen design, that's why I bought one back in the day. When the 5th gen came out, I was completely disgusted by the design change, but it grew on me and with the Stillen or AE kit out there, ahh, makes me want one again! =) It's all about design...As mentioned above, Nissan was trying to be different and I think they did a decent job on it. I know I'm going to get flamed for this...
Take the Pontiac Aztec for example, the car looks like complete $****, but IMO has one of the roomiest interiors I have seen. It's a matter of taste and preferences.
Old 06-21-2001, 05:55 AM

JimmyH, just call them stupid back. No need to feel dissed by the whole board. You'll like some of us and you'll hate some of us. That is life.
Old 06-21-2001, 08:01 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The 4th gen Maxima is pretty plain looking in stock form. It rides high and has soft conservative curves. By simply adding a front chin spoiler, pulling the emblems, smoking out the taillights and tinting the windows, lowering the car, and adding some wide thin spoke 16s, my car has been completely transformed into a decently sporty looking sedan. It doesn't have the refined looks of an A4 or BMW, but it does hold it's own. Like I've said before, I get a ton more looks from ALL age groups when I'm in the this car vs my old bright red 94 Z28. Lots of people ask what it is and their brows rasie when I say it's a Maxima.

The 5th gens design I pretty good, but the rear is a little ugly. The SE version looks much better with the blacked out tails. Simply dropping the 5th gen makes a world of difference. I don't even think a chin spoiler is needed. The 5th gen starts to look "tacked on" when you add body kits (probably has to do with the current styling trend of creased sheet metal). The 4th gen gen looks clean and fluid with the Stillen full kit....as long as you don't add a different wing.

Just my opinion.

Dave