General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

NOS INSTALL. Tips, Ideas, Extra Instructions, ect...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2001, 02:51 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Ok i'm finally gonna start install my nitrous kit and i'm just looking for any tip, hints, extra instuctions and such that i should know before i get too into this. I have the JC Whitney kit and i'm ordering the fuel pressure gauge and Nos bottle pressure with a tranny cooler and some other odds and ends. But what i'm worried about is any hurdles during the install or anything that i should watch out for. ANY INFO WILL BE APPRECIATED AND MY VQ WILL APPRECIATE IT TOO WHEN IT'S STILL IN ONE PIECE.
Old 06-24-2001, 03:03 PM

If you haven't done this before, I would SERIOUSLY suggest that you get it professionally installed. Seriously.
Old 06-24-2001, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
If you haven't done this before, I would SERIOUSLY suggest that you get it professionally installed. Seriously.
you gotta learn sometime. it's not THAT hard from what i've heard. How you getting yours installed?
Old 06-24-2001, 04:03 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I doubt.....

you wanna "learn" with NOS...if not installed right the consequences could be disastrous! I'm all for expanding knowledge in modifications, but with something as serious as NOS, proper installation is a big factor!!

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
you gotta learn sometime.
Old 06-24-2001, 04:31 PM

i know that and that's why i was asking, i do all my own work on my car and i have mardigrad instructions printed out. i'm just looking for a few tips, that's all.
Old 06-24-2001, 07:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Take your time, double check it, double check it again. You can check all the electrical connections with a voltmeter, etc.

Be sure the fuel pressure goes up when you hit it before you try it with the nitrous jet. To do this after you have it all hooked up, disconnect the electrical to second solinoid (the one with the line that goes to the air intake) and make a pass, when you hit the button the fuel pressure will rise up and the motor will mabye stumble a bit or just feel kinda weak, if not the fuel pressure is not rising. Once you get the fuel pressure up, start with the smallest nitrous jet in your kit (0.032 - 40hp?). Check your plugs for silver specs or blue glazing on the ground strap. If you can get to the highest jet in your kit (0.036 - 60hp?) with out seeing specs or bluing on the plugs your set. However if you see any signs of specs or bluing drop back down a nitrous jet because you have reached the limit of your fuel system.

E-mail with questions...

Ps: Dont huff the nitrous during the install you might F somthing up, wait till after please
Old 06-24-2001, 07:51 PM

There are a couple of things that i guess i can throw ya way. First off, you can isntall it yourself. It is very easy to do. Just be patient and make sure you understadn the instructions. People will never understand this.

I would install it once you get everything but if you cant wait, go for it! That is what i did. hehe. I have noticed though since i keep adding someting new to it every week, it is beginning to annoy me sinc ei am taking half the thigns apart and putting it back together.

Remember to go out and buy some brass fittings for your FPSS, i believe the threading on it is 3/8". Also go get some teflon paste to use on all fittings.

The aluminum fittings are easy to destroy. I have done this once and costed me $15 for a littel blue fitting.

Also, make sure the nozzle is pointing towards teh TB and not any other way. Also, make sure you adjust teh FPSS right or it wont spray.

The JC Whitney kit comes wiht a 50, 60, & 70 shot.
Old 06-24-2001, 09:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Synki

Remember to go out and buy some brass fittings for your FPSS, i believe the threading on it is 3/8". Also go get some teflon paste to use on all fittings.
actually, the FPSS has a 1/8" male fitting. since you're getting a fuel pressure gauge you'll need to get brass fittings for that too. the electric sender should be 1/8" also.
Old 06-25-2001, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by sx7r

actually, the FPSS has a 1/8" male fitting. since you're getting a fuel pressure gauge you'll need to get brass fittings for that too. the electric sender should be 1/8" also.
Damn that THomas. Yea what he ^ said.
Old 06-25-2001, 06:04 AM

Damn that THomas. Yea what he ^ said.
ya the fuel gauge i am getting has a 1/8" sender. what kind of a/f gauge r all you running?
Old 06-25-2001, 06:33 AM

ya the fuel gauge i am getting has a 1/8" sender. what kind of a/f gauge r all you running?
I am running all Autometer Phantom Gauges, this includes my EGT, FP, & A/F.

I know Thomas (SX7R) is running all Autometer as well. Phantom a/f gauge, Ultra Lite FP gauge, and i think Phantom for EGT. I could be wrong. I do know for a fact they are autometer.

I also know mardigras (matt) is running a custon a/f gauge. I think he mad his, if you want to do that, PM him on that.
Old 06-25-2001, 06:52 AM

I am running all Autometer Phantom Gauges, this includes my EGT, FP, & A/F.

I know Thomas (SX7R) is running all Autometer as well. Phantom a/f gauge, Ultra Lite FP gauge, and i think Phantom for EGT. I could be wrong. I do know for a fact they are autometer.

I also know mardigras (matt) is running a custon a/f gauge. I think he mad his, if you want to do that, PM him on that.
Ya i'm looking at all Autometer 2 1/16" gauges, A/F, FP, and Nos Bottle pressure by someone else. I'm gonna get the dual gauge pod and a bracket like thomas. I'm gonna order them later today. anything else i should order from summitracing while i'm there. Oh ya, what size bottle pressure guage, 4an or 6an?
Old 06-25-2001, 07:07 AM

Ya i'm looking at all Autometer 2 1/16" gauges, A/F, FP, and Nos Bottle pressure by someone else. I'm gonna get the dual gauge pod and a bracket like thomas. I'm gonna order them later today. anything else i should order from summitracing while i'm there. Oh ya, what size bottle pressure guage, 4an or 6an?
Yea, i am using all 2 1/16" gauges and i have the extra pod like Thomas, i just mounted mine different so Thomas can stay original.

I am using a Nitrous Xpress (NX) pressure gauge. This onlyu costed me $20 and the gauge is liquid filled to be more accurate. I had to buy an adapter for this which set me back another $15. I know its nota 8an, i think the bottle is 4an. You know the "Tee" fiting for the soleniods? You know the blue one that goes right in between the soleniods, that is a 6an ( i am positive, i had to buy a spare one of this), and check if that is teh same threading on teh bottle, if it isnt, then its 4an. I'm pretty sure its 4an but i have been wrong. FIY-there are 2 different bottles, 1st gen and 2nd gen bottle, we had teh 2nd gen bottle. They are a little bit different.
Old 06-25-2001, 07:34 AM

Just a random question:

Which Fuel Pressure Guages are you running? Full sweep or half-sweep. I know the price difference is like 150 bucks.
Old 06-25-2001, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by Screaminfast
Just a random question:

Which Fuel Pressure Guages are you running? Full sweep or half-sweep. I know the price difference is like 150 bucks.
I am running teh Autometer Phantom Full Sweep FP gauge. I am using the electrical gauge rather then mechanical. The mach are way cheaper but you will have to route tubes and lines all around rather then wires. I paid $185 for my FP gauge with the sensor and all.

Oh DMB- i forgot to mention when you buy the EGT, you will have to buy a probe for it. Mine costed me $50 for it. My needs to be welded in but they do sell teh ones that can be clamped into your exhaust. I would not sugguest installin it till you have a y-pipe. Drillin into the OEM y-pipe is bad, sucker lists for $1200 from dealer!
Old 06-25-2001, 10:08 AM

I'm thinking about ordering

Aside from what comes in the kit that JCWhitney provides, what would I need to have a complete NO2 system? When I order the kit I plan to have pro install, and should I get cold type spark plugs?
Old 06-25-2001, 11:13 AM

Re: I'm thinking about ordering

Originally posted by primeevil711
Aside from what comes in the kit that JCWhitney provides, what would I need to have a complete NO2 system? When I order the kit I plan to have pro install, and should I get cold type spark plugs?
The JC Whitney kit is a basic NOS kit. I would get the following for a full complete NOS kit (This also includes the extra stuff you need):

-Purge Kit
-WIndow Switch & Pills
-Bottle Heater
-Remote Bottle Opener (optional)
-EGT Gauge
-A/F gauge
-FP gauge
-NOS pressure gauge
-Brass Fittings for teh FPSS & FP gauge sensor
-Gauge Pods
-Teflon Paste
-A long copper tube extension for the purge kit

As far as plugs, people will say use a copper plug. SOme others will say using platinum will be fine too. I have used both and have noticed nothing different and they were in great condition after i sprayed. I use teh NGK PFR6B-11 they are plat. plugs.
Old 06-25-2001, 11:37 AM

Re: Re: I'm thinking about ordering

The JC Whitney kit is a basic NOS kit. I would get the following for a full complete NOS kit (This also includes the extra stuff you need):

-Purge Kit
-WIndow Switch & Pills
-Bottle Heater
-Remote Bottle Opener (optional)
-EGT Gauge
-A/F gauge
-FP gauge
-NOS pressure gauge
-Brass Fittings for teh FPSS & FP gauge sensor
-Gauge Pods
-Teflon Paste
-A long copper tube extension for the purge kit

As far as plugs, people will say use a copper plug. SOme others will say using platinum will be fine too. I have used both and have noticed nothing different and they were in great condition after i sprayed. I use teh NGK PFR6B-11 they are plat. plugs.
how much do you think all that stuff will cost? and if I put the basic kit on first can I add it later?
Old 06-25-2001, 12:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: I'm thinking about ordering

Originally posted by primeevil711

how much do you think all that stuff will cost? and if I put the basic kit on first can I add it later?
If you get teh JC Whitney Kit at the special price plus all that, you are looking aorund $1000 total. Yes, you can ptu teh basic kit on first but then you wil have to take half if it apart to add more things on. That is what i did and now wished i did it all at once. WIth NOS, its always good to ahve more then you should jsut to be safe then sorry ya know?
Old 06-25-2001, 12:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm thinking about ordering

If you get teh JC Whitney Kit at the special price plus all that, you are looking aorund $1000 total. Yes, you can ptu teh basic kit on first but then you wil have to take half if it apart to add more things on. That is what i did and now wished i did it all at once. WIth NOS, its always good to ahve more then you should jsut to be safe then sorry ya know?
I get it now......but I can go with the basic kit and add stuff later though right???? I have an pro install guy with his own shop that does my install work for dirt cheap cuz I'm on the hook up list.....so if I can run with the basic kit then I will and then I'll have him add to it when I order all the other stuff. BTW thanx for all the info I really appreciate it. If anything should come up I'll post
Old 06-25-2001, 01:25 PM

Yes, you can put in the kit straight from the box and run it like that, but its kinda like driving without an instrument panel, you just have to hope that everything is okay.
Old 06-25-2001, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
Yes, you can put in the kit straight from the box and run it like that, but its kinda like driving without an instrument panel, you just have to hope that everything is okay.
Med did u install urself
Old 06-25-2001, 04:43 PM

The kit has been installed, but I have not picked up the car yet, its in the body shop getting the body kit put on.