General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

raced a 225hp AUDI TT, sorta regreted...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 08:53 AM

ill keep this short..

last nite me and one of my friend was driving down route 1 in NJ to see the fast and the furious. i saw a dual exhaust 225hp audi TT driven by a 40 to 50 year old guy and had his son on the passenger side. so i followed him. we were going around 75-80 on a 55 with tons of cars around, we were going left and right trying to pass each other, finally I pulled away from him.( i sorta won, at first). Then we both stopped at the red light, he goes "that's a pretty fast maxima". I smiled and give him the thumb up and I turned off OD but didnt bother to switch to 2. green light, we both floored it. I was ahead by about 2-3 car length going at 50mph, then his car just zoomed by as if i was driving a civic and he was driving a ferrari, and I was just too slow to catch him. so at the end I gave him the thumb up implying that he had proved his pt. yes.. TT is better

things i should have done..
1. I should never race when there are tons of cars around.
2. auto-manual shift it..maybe I would have abetter chance.
3. sell my max so i can get a better car =)
Old 06-27-2001, 09:04 AM
PhatGuy

What are the specs on your Max now? I've heard the 225HP TT is quick! Get yourself a 2002 5spd Max if you want a new car! Don't forget how much he paid for that thing too! Even a 2K1 with intake and Y-Pipe will run pretty even with those....launching the 5spd fast takes some practice.

Originally posted by LucentAUTO
ill keep this short..

last nite me and one of my friend was driving down route 1 in NJ to see the fast and the furious. i saw a dual exhaust 225hp audi TT driven by a 40 to 50 year old guy and had his son on the passenger side. so i followed him. we were going around 75-80 on a 55 with tons of cars around, we were going left and right trying to pass each other, finally I pulled away from him.( i sorta won, at first). Then we both stopped at the red light, he goes "that's a pretty fast maxima". I smiled and give him the thumb up and I turned off OD but didnt bother to switch to 2. green light, we both floored it. I was ahead by about 2-3 car length going at 50mph, then his car just zoomed by as if i was driving a civic and he was driving a ferrari, and I was just too slow to catch him. so at the end I gave him the thumb up implying that he had proved his pt. yes.. TT is better

Old 06-27-2001, 12:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ill keep this short..

It doesn't mean your car is not better, it just means you have to pick your battles better.
Old 06-28-2001, 07:31 AM

I got into it with a roadster, it wasnt fast at all. Im guessing it was the 180bhp quattro version. Although i dont think the 225hp quattro is that much faster unless its the coupe and the guy knows how to drive it. If you had a 5 speed i dont think he would have pulled you that bad.

Audi TT Coupe quattro
180bhp version
3131 lbs

Audi TT roadster quattro
225bhp version
3362 lbs.
Old 06-28-2001, 10:15 AM

thats coz lucentauto's car is severly messed up.. missed oil changes.. putting in the cheapest no brand 80 something octane gas for years, multiple acceleration problems etc..
Old 06-28-2001, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by jw82
thats coz lucentauto's car is severly messed up.. missed oil changes.. putting in the cheapest no brand 80 something octane gas for years, multiple acceleration problems etc..

Oh, that's too damn funny
Old 06-28-2001, 08:11 PM

lol

i guess that guy knows how to drive.
Old 06-29-2001, 05:02 AM
JimW

Be careful when racing Turbo Audi's-->

ill keep this short..

225 TT coupes and convertibles are much faster than they look. Something like 0-60 in 6.5-6.7 seconds. They too have 6 spd manual trannies in them. (NO autos in TT's)
With the torque curve in Turbo Audi's being what it is, they have plenty of power available to pass without having to downshift.
Chances are he was toying with you in the stoplight match. Then decided to try to "humble" you when he flew past.

Old 06-29-2001, 05:55 AM
JimW

Whoops, just checked my Audi data-->

Originally posted by JimW

225 TT coupes and convertibles are much faster than they look. Something like 0-60 in 6.5-6.7 seconds. They too have 6 spd manual trannies in them. (NO autos in TT's)
With the torque curve in Turbo Audi's being what it is, they have plenty of power available to pass without having to downshift.
Chances are he was toying with you in the stoplight match. Then decided to try to "humble" you when he flew past.

Audi advertises a 0-60 time of 6.3 seconds ,so that should be about 14.9-15.0 in the 1/4. Audi, like BMW and Mercedes tends to be a little conservative on their performance numbers. So a 225TT is a pretty quick machine.

Old 06-29-2001, 06:03 AM
Administrator

No sell your max and buy a 5spd Max
ill keep this short..

Old 06-29-2001, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
No sell your max and buy a 5spd Max
I raced a 225 hp TT a few months back and walked away from him.
Old 06-29-2001, 07:23 PM

the coupe is alot faster than the convertible TT, especially the 225 version.. hehe at least i didnt lose to a honda haha

another max? gotta be joking.. i am bored with this toy already.. =)
Old 06-30-2001, 12:55 AM

so why dont you go buy a bentley then =)
Old 07-02-2001, 12:18 AM
Steadi

Guys, MotorTrend got the 225 HP Audi TT Roadster to do the 0-60 in 6.2 and 1/4 in 14.6.

The coupe will run about 6.0 flat.

A girlfriend of mine leased the 180 HP version, but we test drove the 225 HP version. They have big boost power. It was no fluke you jumped on him, he probably wasn't willing to launch his $40K car that hard, but a split second later once the KO4 turbo kicks in, they are pretty fast.