General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

For those who have inspections....

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 01:00 PM

For those who have inspections....

How do those of you with illegal tints pass inspections? im from florida and we dont have inspections but after moving to NC we had to do it and my girl just failed b/c of her tints. next year i will also probably fail too b/c of my tints b/c im not ripping them off. tint laws IMO are one of the dumbest laws out there...
Old 09-30-2006, 01:23 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

(1) Strip tint.
(2) Go back to the inspection station.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:54 PM
10 psi

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
(1) Strip tint.
good option...

Here is how I do it, its not anything new but here in Utah we dont' have any laws stating that you have to have windows, so, I roll them down and pull the fuse, as well as unplug from underneath the switches. They won't mess with trying to get them to go up so they just pass you and say you have 100% on your windows.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

but...you can't roll the back windows all the way down...
Old 09-30-2006, 02:10 PM
10 psi

Originally Posted by nosispower
but...you can't roll the back windows all the way down...

back half of the car can be as dark as you want, whether this applies to him I dont' know thus the reason I said in UT, I don't know what laws apply where he lives... They might require "windows" so my trick still might not work. It does in places where the bakc half of the car can be as dark as they want and no pass/driver side windows are required. I have had a 50% quantum tint on my windshield but for over 6 years now it hasn't been noticed. he he
Old 09-30-2006, 04:39 PM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
How do those of you with illegal tints pass inspections? im from florida and we dont have inspections but after moving to NC we had to do it and my girl just failed b/c of her tints. next year i will also probably fail too b/c of my tints b/c im not ripping them off. tint laws IMO are one of the dumbest laws out there...
I had illegal tint for Florida, but I passed inspections (3times) every time in PA, but I went to a place that had signs up in the office that slammed Billary and he was also a drag racer, so he didn't care about the tints...
Old 09-30-2006, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
(1) Strip tint.
figures someone would say some **** like this...
obviously not every person in greensboro, nc stripped their tint and did inspection only to put the tint back on the next day and have to worry about the same thing next year. im sure they all found a way to pass with tint. the question was "how do i pass WITH illegal tint?"
Old 09-30-2006, 09:25 PM
The original VQ...

In ct you only have to go to inspection if you get pulled over for having some thing illigal, does NY require annual inspections?
Old 10-01-2006, 06:36 AM
JFP in PA

Tint rules vary from state to state………………some states even mandate “factory only” tints (no films or coatings allowed). Some allow aftermarket tints only on rear windows only, factory on front doors and windscreen. Regardless of what gets by in a state inspection, many states (and locales) also have limit rules that allow a cop to declare a vehicle “illegal or unsafe” by using a small light transmission device during a road stop……..and they can tow the car for this infraction. These rules stem from the cop supposedly not being able to see into the car when approaching it…………………

I’d suggest investigating the state rules and bringing the car into compliance………….to do otherwise is asking for a ticket or worse………

Old 10-01-2006, 08:28 AM

I understand what the tint laws are and the legal limits and such, although i dont think its a completely necessary law. But i also know that for the most part a police officer isnt gonna take your car or most of the time might not even stop you for tints unless he's having one of those days. but i doubt the cop will ever take your car or have it towed for tints. if he does then theres something wrong with him cuz theres drug dealers around the corner and murders and assaults happening all across town. i just know that i drive around and everyone has illegal tint and they all passed inspection with it and im assuming that they just found a nice inspector who doesnt care about tint so much or they gave someone a nice little tip or something to pass tints, IDK...
Old 10-01-2006, 10:07 AM
JFP in PA

I understand what the tint laws are and the legal limits and such, although i dont think its a completely necessary law. But i also know that for the most part a police officer isnt gonna take your car or most of the time might not even stop you for tints unless he's having one of those days. but i doubt the cop will ever take your car or have it towed for tints. if he does then theres something wrong with him cuz theres drug dealers around the corner and murders and assaults happening all across town. i just know that i drive around and everyone has illegal tint and they all passed inspection with it and im assuming that they just found a nice inspector who doesnt care about tint so much or they gave someone a nice little tip or something to pass tints, IDK...
That may be, however, meet the wrong cop, or an average one having a bad day, and you will most likely get screwed, simply because he can..............doesn't seem worth the effort just to have a "Look"........................but ultimately, the risk is yours............

Old 10-01-2006, 12:30 PM

here in md, you have to go the the mva, and speak with a state trooper, they go to your car with a piece of paper and check your window, if it passes you get a form from the officer saying it passes as legal
Old 10-02-2006, 10:40 PM

I believe the legal limit in NC is 12%. NC cops will also give you a fix it ticket if you get pulled over and you have illegal tint. It also helps knowing people, that is how I was able to pass inspections up there when I had a test pipe....as long as it passed the OBD II
Old 10-03-2006, 05:13 AM
+Cru OG

Since the new inspection laws in NC have passed, the reputable inspection shops have been enforcing it. Tints cannot be lower than 32% light transmission ALL the way around (no windshield tint), all factory emissions equipment must be on the car, and other miscellaneous things. Some cars do have these illegal tints, how they pass inspections...that's another debate. I recently had to get my 20% tint removed to avoid an illegal tint ticket in Wake County.