General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

guys i need help...stupid thing happend

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2001, 03:51 PM

Today I was supposed to paint my brake calipers, long story short I jacked up the car and took off the front right wheel...Using a wire brush and brake cleaner I was trying to clean the crap off my caliper, barely anyting was coming off so I was forcing pretty hard, all of a suddne the lame nissan Jack that was holding the car up topples over and the front of the car slams down....Not only does my elbow get smashed but the brake area slammed down into my driveway, I immediately re jacked the car up...

The asphalt on my driveway lost a couple chunks, where my brake hit the driveway and another small piece on the back section of the brakes, I dont know what, but when I jacked the car there was a chunk missing...so It hit hard enough..

The brake disk seemd to get a little scuffed but no major looking damage...

I put the wheel back on, 2 hours when I was driving I can hear a metallic whistling sound coming from the front right tire at anywhere from 30-70 km/h.....my sister said 'what the hell is that?" and now I know something is wrong..

Any idea whats the problem? Is this really dangerous - should I not be driving? The car is fine just the sound is very annoying and it makes me think something has gone really bad...

Any help would be appreciated....I dont need any flames

thanks
Old 06-29-2001, 04:00 PM

I just looked up close at the wheel, and not the disk but the part behind it, kinda looks like a thin metal cover or plate behind the disk....this part has a small dent in it...

Is that what makes the noise? What can I do about it? Try to straighten it out? Or go have a professional look at it...I dont think anything major is wrong just the noise is annyoing
Old 06-29-2001, 04:13 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well first of all, you should not be using that flimsy Nissan jack for repairs. It's for emergency use only. No wonder the car fell off the jack. Your lucky you didn't cut your leg/arm off.

Anyway, the thin black metal shield? Yeah it's probably scraping against the disk. If it's that, just bend it back to where it was or out of the way of rotor.

Next time, invest in some decent jack stands and good floor jack. It's cheaper than limbs.
Old 06-29-2001, 05:13 PM

How did the jack "topple over?" Did is collapse vertically? If it fell over to side, maybe you were not jacking it up on a level surface.
Old 06-29-2001, 05:26 PM

the nissan jacks do suck
the same thing happened to me when I got a flat. I was just putting on my spare and the thing just gave . Thank god I had the spare on or I would be looking at a nice body repair.
Old 06-29-2001, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Well first of all, you should not be using that flimsy Nissan jack for repairs. It's for emergency use only. No wonder the car fell off the jack. Your lucky you didn't cut your leg/arm off.

Anyway, the thin black metal shield? Yeah it's probably scraping against the disk. If it's that, just bend it back to where it was or out of the way of rotor.

Next time, invest in some decent jack stands and good floor jack. It's cheaper than limbs.
Yeah, what he said!
You can get a set of jack stands and a floor jack from Wal-Mart for less than $40. How much would an emergency room visit cost?
Old 06-29-2001, 07:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Like everyone has said, get yourself a decent jack. They are cheap and much quicker/safer to operate. Your car can easily topple with the Nissan jack if the ground is not totally flat. As for that metal rotor protection plate, simply bend it back so that it doesn't contact the rotors--doesn't have to look pretty, just get it off the rotor. Spin the rotor to check before you put the tire back on. Hopefully, you did not damage your rotor and that is why it is hitting the backing...
Old 06-29-2001, 08:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The piece that you are describing is your brake dust cover. Like every one else said just bend it back and you will be fine. Use a flat head screw driver and bend it out of the way.

On another note you are very lucky you did not get killed today, you should definatly take this as a lesson to ALWAYS use a jack stand and to put something underneath your rear tires to prevent your car from rolling.
Old 06-30-2001, 02:44 AM

thanks guys

live and learn