General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Whomped on a Volvo 850R yesterday. Twice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2001, 08:55 AM

So I'm driving along minding my own business last night and this kid pulls up next to me at the light in a beautiful Volvo 850R wagon... black with the super-cool 17" gunmetal wheels. I know him, he's friends with this kid who tried to kick my *** with a baseball bat a couple weeks ago (he failed, I'm not all that big and scary but I studied Thai kickboxing and Aikido for about 5 years when I was high-school age). No hard feelings, his buddy had a bone to pick with me about something stupid and it was behind me as far as I was concerned. Anyway, I'm rambling: The kid has a blow-off valve and exhaust on the mighty Volvo, so I figured I was about to get waxed. Besides that, I had just filled up my car (18 gallons makes a difference) and was running the A/C (what am I, a heathen?)
He rolls down the window, talks some smack and I just smile and pretend like I don't hear him. I can hear him spooling the car up and torquing it against the brake until the light changes. Light goes green, he lurches forward and I slip the clutch out and feed in some of that Mighty Maxima Torque. Buh-bye. I couldn't believe it, but I made up the ground and then some by the end of 1st. Shift to 2nd and pull another 10 feet ahead. Then into 3rd I pull another 5 feet or so (now I'm about 3 car lengths out front) but he begins to close in. By 4th gear his car is ROLLING and making some nasty turbo noises. I'm running 95mph by now and that's enough for me, so I shut down. Next light we line up and do it all over again but this time I pull a better start and stay about 3-4 car lengths out front 'til 100mph. He would KILL me on the highway though, that Volvo really boogies at higher speeds, there's no question. He pulled up at the next light and did the standard issue "I can't believe I just got beat by a Maxima" dance. Asked me what I had done to it, etc. "Stock, lowered, sticky tires". Surprise, surprise. How fun
Old 07-03-2001, 11:06 AM

What an idiot. What kind of douch-bag would waste money on fixing up a wagon. They maybe fast, but still, they are ugly!
Old 07-03-2001, 11:17 AM
I'm needing a caw

Wow. Kickboxing and Aikido. Which do you think is more practical for everyday use? And can you be a casual kickboxer or do you have go ***** out for that disipline?

Nice race. But geez, don't those T5-R have 260hp stock?

Originally posted by SethMax
So I'm driving along minding my own business last night and this kid pulls up next to me at the light in a beautiful Volvo 850R wagon... black with the super-cool 17" gunmetal wheels. I know him, he's friends with this kid who tried to kick my *** with a baseball bat a couple weeks ago (he failed, I'm not all that big and scary but I studied Thai kickboxing and Aikido for about 5 years when I was high-school age). No hard feelings, his buddy had a bone to pick with me about something stupid and it was behind me as far as I was concerned. Anyway, I'm rambling: The kid has a blow-off valve and exhaust on the mighty Volvo, so I figured I was about to get waxed. Besides that, I had just filled up my car (18 gallons makes a difference) and was running the A/C (what am I, a heathen?)
He rolls down the window, talks some smack and I just smile and pretend like I don't hear him. I can hear him spooling the car up and torquing it against the brake until the light changes. Light goes green, he lurches forward and I slip the clutch out and feed in some of that Mighty Maxima Torque. Buh-bye. I couldn't believe it, but I made up the ground and then some by the end of 1st. Shift to 2nd and pull another 10 feet ahead. Then into 3rd I pull another 5 feet or so (now I'm about 3 car lengths out front) but he begins to close in. By 4th gear his car is ROLLING and making some nasty turbo noises. I'm running 95mph by now and that's enough for me, so I shut down. Next light we line up and do it all over again but this time I pull a better start and stay about 3-4 car lengths out front 'til 100mph. He would KILL me on the highway though, that Volvo really boogies at higher speeds, there's no question. He pulled up at the next light and did the standard issue "I can't believe I just got beat by a Maxima" dance. Asked me what I had done to it, etc. "Stock, lowered, sticky tires". Surprise, surprise. How fun
Old 07-03-2001, 11:21 AM

don't forget, volvo's have a powerfull engine, but they are HEAVY AS HELL, which hurts their acceleration big time, ask andyxxl, his mom has s70, it's fairly powerfull, but he says it's slow in acceleration

Konstantin
Old 07-03-2001, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Vinipux
don't forget, volvo's have a powerfull engine, but they are HEAVY AS HELL, which hurts their acceleration big time, ask andyxxl, his mom has s70, it's fairly powerfull, but he says it's slow in acceleration

Konstantin
Volvos are generally very heavy but their high HP should make up for it. Especially on the Rs, not to reign on your parade but that kid probably doesn't know how to drive, let alone race. It should've been a much closer race. I raced a maxima this past weekend, big-a$$ exhaust (sounded more like a civic), nasty chrome rims... I don't think it's anyone on this board. But anyways, let's just say he lost. Maximas should get a jump start but once the turbo kicks in, the Volvo should catch up pretty quick.
Old 07-03-2001, 12:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

True!
Old 07-03-2001, 01:08 PM

True! AndyXXL's mom has the S70 with no turbo. I drove the turbo for 4 years and I can say that a Max cannot walk an S70 GLT nor V70 GLT. The cars do have *****. The R's are faster.
Old 07-03-2001, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by deezo
True! AndyXXL's mom has the S70 with no turbo. I drove the turbo for 4 years and I can say that a Max cannot walk an S70 GLT nor V70 GLT. The cars do have *****. The R's are faster.
Thanks for agreeing with me. BTW, is that a TVR in your sig? Sweet!!!
Old 07-03-2001, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by Mike H.

Thanks for agreeing with me. BTW, is that a TVR in your sig? Sweet!!!
I had to start competing with that F1 in your sig.
Old 07-03-2001, 02:29 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

If you really wanted to compete, you'd have just gotten a pic of an Ultima GTR...
Old 07-03-2001, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg

If you really wanted to compete, you'd have just gotten a pic of an Ultima GTR...
In this case I am competing more with the looks.
Old 07-03-2001, 03:13 PM

aren't the S70 like 30xx with the base engine? I think its lighter then the maxima
Old 07-03-2001, 03:37 PM
PhatGuy

FATALITY!

Good for you man! Your ripped him plain and simple. I don't care what anyone else says (Magazine world people) would have, could have, should have beat you etc.. Magazine drivers are generally PROFESSIONAL drivers while driving on the street is just that..street drivers. Either you win or lose...you won! Not once but TWICE!

Old 07-03-2001, 04:16 PM

Besides that, I had just filled up my car (18 gallons makes a difference) and was running the A/C (what am I, a heathen?)
The AC compressor shuts off at WOT anyways, so that doesn't matter.
Old 07-03-2001, 04:23 PM

My Gfreinds father has a 2000V70 AWDR it is sweet 17in rims and stock daul exhaust but the Rs only came in auto for 2000 but two days ago he baught a 2001 T5(R) which has a 5 speed and same 247Hp and also no AWD so it is lighter. They are so comfortable inside and have a great sound system with subwoofers
Old 07-03-2001, 05:03 PM

Re: FATALITY!

Originally posted by PhatGuy
Good for you man! Your ripped him plain and simple. I don't care what anyone else says (Magazine world people) would have, could have, should have beat you etc.. Magazine drivers are generally PROFESSIONAL drivers while driving on the street is just that..street drivers. Either you win or lose...you won! Not once but TWICE!

I have driven(Volvo longer than the Max) both cars thats why I don't believe it. If the person driving the R gave it his all, he would win hands down.
Old 07-03-2001, 06:13 PM

Old 07-03-2001, 06:17 PM

Re: Re: FATALITY!

I have driven(Volvo longer than the Max) both cars thats why I don't believe it. If the person driving the R gave it his all, he would win hands down.
Well, I'm proof of it since I own one (278HP C70 ). So far, it has been three Maxima kills for me and they are not even close. The thing that I don't understand is that the people I have raced get beat once and then start getting ****ed off and want another race. I'm like "dude, give it a rest, you lost!"
Old 07-03-2001, 06:53 PM
PhatGuy

Ain't no Joke

Volvos ain't no joke! You don't hear about them too much in street racing but man they would clean up stock let alone when the mods kick in. I've never lost to one yet but I know there are some fast ones out there for sure. I have a 2K1 5spd Y-Pipe/intake and short throw so I can hold my own with most Volvos I would imagine. What is the aftermarket performance parts for Volvos like? Man they can probably get some to hang with A6/S4 for sure! I like em.....sleepers/safe/good insurance/very non-rice car/luxury/fast! Hmmm sounds like a Max?

Old 07-03-2001, 07:07 PM

Re: Ain't no Joke

IPD made a great volvo for this guy to it was quick. He loves volvos
Old 07-03-2001, 09:06 PM

Re: Ain't no Joke

Originally posted by PhatGuy
Volvos ain't no joke! You don't hear about them too much in street racing but man they would clean up stock let alone when the mods kick in. I've never lost to one yet but I know there are some fast ones out there for sure. I have a 2K1 5spd Y-Pipe/intake and short throw so I can hold my own with most Volvos I would imagine. What is the aftermarket performance parts for Volvos like? Man they can probably get some to hang with A6/S4 for sure! I like em.....sleepers/safe/good insurance/very non-rice car/luxury/fast! Hmmm sounds like a Max?
There is a growing interest in modding Volvos these days. The funny thing is that the most modded ones I've seen are all wagons. There isn't a lot of aftermarket companies out there that deal with Volvos but it's growing. The problem is cost. Most of the companies are overseas (Sweden duh!) and so cost plays a big part. Some of the major contributors to the Volvo aftermarket scene are:
www.ipdusa.com
www.heicosportiv.com
www.samsteffansson.se
www.kalmar-union.com
www.pes-tuning.com
I believe C/D or European car did an article on the IPD C70. I think it was rated at 300HP or something like that.
And yes, we can hang with A6s/S4s. I beta an A6 2.7T and can hang with an S4.