General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Please help newbie with remote key fob/alarm/starter!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2000, 08:45 AM
jjlenzini

Hi, I just picked up a 96 Maxima. I need a 2nd remote key fob and Nissan sells them but they're $120, ouch! Anyone know if I can get one aftermarket?

Also, if you have a minute to explain the basic operations of the thing I would definitely appreciate it. I don't have the owners manual and I'm trying to figure out all the features, e.g. hold the "unlock" button down and the windows go down etc. I just ordered an owners manual so that will probably help.

(I knew I needed help when I walked out of the house and the car was running - I must have engaged the remote start somehow!!)

Please take pity on me, I'm actually a very technical guy but this is completely new to me!

Thanks and have a great day!

Old 10-18-2000, 08:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ebay

check http://www.ebay.com they have them there all the time
I was just looking and found 4 just by searching for "maxima"
here's one for $20 right now
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=467251869&r=0&t=0">htt p://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=467251869&r=0&t=0</a>
some say they come with instructions on how to program it for your car, but others say take it to a dealer. I think you could probably find out how to program it by asking someone on this site
Old 10-18-2000, 08:56 AM

Your car doesn't come with remote start from the factory - it must have been added. If it is controlled by the factory remote, I would love to know how they did it. That would be a great mod for me.
Old 10-18-2000, 09:32 AM
jjlenzini

brandonj:

If you click the link above provided by another forum member, you'll see a picture of the factory Nissan remote that I'm looking for. I have the exact same one and I need a 2nd. I'm assuming that it's factory, and I'm also assuming it has an alarm included, but I haven't verified that with my own ears. It could be just for remote start/unlock/lock/trunk/etc. It definitely is a remote start, as I walked out of the house and the car was running with no key in the ignition.

Old 10-19-2000, 07:41 PM

Re: ebay

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»
check http://www.ebay.com they have them there all the time
I was just looking and found 4 just by searching for "maxima"
here's one for $20 right now
<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=467251869&r=0&t=0">htt p://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=467251869&r=0&t=0</a>
some say they come with instructions on how to program it for your car, but others say take it to a dealer. I think you could probably find out how to program it by asking someone on this site
I have a 99 Maxima, you can add a "Design Tech" remote starter to the factory remote. I had one in my car, you start the car by pushing the lock button twice. Now I have a Clifford Concept 100 alarm with remote start. The Clifford is a much better starter.

Old 10-19-2000, 08:13 PM

Design Tech

How much did this cost? Also, is it very difficult to install? I might be working at a ski resort this winter, and I think the remote start would be a must have.
Old 10-20-2000, 03:15 AM

Re: Design Tech

Originally posted by brandonj
How much did this cost? Also, is it very difficult to install? I might be working at a ski resort this winter, and I think the remote start would be a must have.
The starter cost about $80 the installation was around $120. With my 99 having the chip in the key the insallation was complicated, so I had it done by Tweeter Etc. They tie into the factory alarm and set it up so it takes a double negative pulse from the alarm to activate the starter.
Mike.