General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Now, I see what this whole ECU deal is about ->

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2000, 11:33 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

We have three schools of belief.

1. Cheston/Nabil. They were there, they drove the car, they saw dyno charts. They believe what they saw which is ~30hp max gain at around ~4500rpm or ~20 HP peak gain at around ~5500rpm. They felt it when they drove the car. They are believers.

2. Woodear and company. They were not there. They didn't drive the car. They only saw the dyno chart online. Woodear and company saw ~30hp max gain around ~45000rpm or ~20 Hp peak gain at around ~5500rpm for a NA Maxima. That's unheard of. I don't believe Woodear doubt Cheston or Nabil's charactor, but they just don't trust UPRD's equipment. They don't trust any manufacture's claim.

3. Me. I wasn't there. I didn't drive the car. I saw the dyno chart online. I saw ~30hp max gain around ~45000rpm or ~20 Hp peak gain at around ~5500rpm for a NA Maxima. I'm like holy ****. What a bargin for $450, I need to get one? Yes. There are doubts, but I have a maxima. I want to believe UPRD's claim, because with 30hp I can go out and kick some Type-R *** in my Auto Maxima =) Then again, I have a 1999 Cali-spec and UPRD is no good to me =(.
Old 10-18-2000, 11:41 AM

ok, here i go...

i've been away much of the time lately, and just caught this thread.

since i was one of the first people to put an ecu in a 97+ max, i'll put in my 0.02.

I haven't heard the whole story, much less seen the graphs, but here i go...

JWT specializes in nissans....was the sole maker of pre 96 ecu's for the maxima for years. and yet they can't get a 97+ ecu that produces more than 10 hp (especially over 5k).

Thus, i find it very hard to believe that UPRD (?) can do this so quickly and at such a major improvment (that's dyno HP not crank!!) w/o changes to injectors, hi octane fuel or the like in addition to an ecu upgrade.

Personally, i hope it's really true, but i think someone needs to get that car to an independent dyno and dyno back to back tests.

This is what i learned from JWT (big jim the owner) that you need to dyno the old ecu, the new one and then the old one again (minimum 3 pulls each) on a machine that has been used at least 5 runs prior (supposedly a cold machine will record differently). Re running the old ecu again at the end will confer that something magical didn't happen in the last runs (i.e. maybe the car runs better hot during the last runs w/ the new ecu; thus putting the stock ecu back in will verify this).

Anyway, i'd like an outside dyno to do this, then i may keep the max and get this ecu!

Robert

Old 10-18-2000, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
They only saw the dyno chart online. Woodear and company saw ~30hp max gain around ~45000rpm or ~20 Hp peak gain at around ~5500rpm for a NA Maxima
WOW 45,000 RPM!!! what's in that engine? Titanium connecting rods, titaninium springs, valves, guides, retainers??! lol j/k

I don't doubt there are gains when you advance the cam timing/spark timing, but I do doubt 30 hp gains. I've got the JWT ECU on my Z, which showed approximately 13 rwhp gains. I know it's comparing apples to oranges (Z / Max), but the same concepts is used in both ECUs - richer fuel maps along with advances in the cam/spark timing.
Old 10-18-2000, 12:15 PM

Actually its not apples to oranges...

Originally posted by got rice?
Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
They only saw the dyno chart online. Woodear and company saw ~30hp max gain around ~45000rpm or ~20 Hp peak gain at around ~5500rpm for a NA Maxima
WOW 45,000 RPM!!! what's in that engine? Titanium connecting rods, titaninium springs, valves, guides, retainers??! lol j/k

I don't doubt there are gains when you advance the cam timing/spark timing, but I do doubt 30 hp gains. I've got the JWT ECU on my Z, which showed approximately 13 rwhp gains. I know it's comparing apples to oranges (Z / Max), but the same concepts is used in both ECUs - richer fuel maps along with advances in the cam/spark timing.
I would be the maxima ECU is probably more conservative than the Z ECU. Well we found that the Z32 ECU would work in the 3rd gen VE maxima with no problems, just like the Z31 ECU works in the 2nd gen max. If I could gain 10fwhp with a JWT ECU I would be happy as hell.
Old 10-18-2000, 12:16 PM

In case anyone actually witnessed this from beginning:

I never doubt anyone's character.
I mod my own cars and consider myself enthusiast. Now for any enthusiast, I will think they will hardly believe a chip can gain 30FWHP for a NA car. My thinking was that the tuner dyno(especially Clayton that I don't know about) always show a much higher gain than user will see on independent dyno. Thus I politely asked for dynojet runs, and I was not the only one asked so either.
Everything seemed to be normal, however Cheston decided to get jumpy and called my name publicly and started attacking. So fine he wants an argument he gets one, he is the one look stupid until he can come up with a 30FWHP dynojet proof.

Btw, is it just me, or NOT A SINGLE PERSON actually agrees with Cheston on the 30FWHP??!

Muhahaha
Old 10-18-2000, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by WoodEar
In case anyone actually witnessed this from beginning:

<snip>
Btw, is it just me, or NOT A SINGLE PERSON actually agrees with Cheston on the 30FWHP??!

Muhahaha
Look, let's put an end to this craziness on this board.

Forget the 30hp gains chart, ok?

Just look at the other chart and there you'll see about ~20hp gain midrange and about ~15hp gain at peak point. Those are still very respectable gains for ANY car.

And let me tell you that my car (with the UPRD ECU since last month) has been simply a blast to drive.
Roadkills have been easier than ever, which previously formidable challengers becoming easy roadkills on the freeway. I'm enjoying this car to no end now

So the point is this, let's all try to get a grip on the situation and not let ourselves get caught up in for/against arguements...

That's all I have to say on this whole ECU debacle, and I'd rather just get back to my work now.

--Nabil
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/nissanmaxima
Old 10-18-2000, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Nabil
Forget the 30hp gains chart, ok?--Nabil
You should tell your buddy Cheston that, not me. He is the one making that claim.
Old 10-18-2000, 01:08 PM

Either way U look at it for $450 if U get 10-15-20-30 hp I'm happy with it. Its better then some other cheap mods that make more show then go. I'm just waiting for the 4th GEN thing to go through so they can work on the 2K.
Old 10-18-2000, 01:11 PM

YALL JUST PUNKS!!!

the ecu thing did not happen overnight, uprd had worked with stillen early on even before they were uprd.

i don't understand why everyone is going mad, cheston saw ~30hp gain on the dyno sheet so he reported what he saw. didn't lie, i mean did you really not see it on the dyno? blau blau jagged edge's..... i still see it, i'm pretty sure i'm not blind.

stop putting stress on cheston and nabil, they have other things to do then this ecu. thank them and not hate'em.
one other thing, why did those ten ppl join if the gains are not believable. guess there are some believers.
Old 10-18-2000, 01:17 PM

Re: YALL JUST PUNKS!!!

Originally posted by skimax
the ecu thing did not happen overnight, uprd had worked with stillen early on even before they were uprd.

is it me or your back tire is off the ground in that pic?

U guys working on the ECU don't worry about any smack from anyone, if its gonna produce the #s I'm sure the cry babies would buy the damn ECUs too.
Old 10-18-2000, 01:27 PM

1MAX2NV sad part is I am in the same boat as you is sucks...

My only opinion is this... I think Nabil and Cheston are not they type to pull the proverbial wool over our eyes the only thing is if UPRD really wanted to sell these they should invest in getting an independent DYNO like JWT and other ECU developers have done in the past...

This way a non bias and "independent" FACT would be present atlease on the car tested...

That is all anyone really wanted IMHO and I being a consumer think that is not really to much to ask...
Old 10-18-2000, 01:29 PM

Re: YALL JUST PUNKS!!!

...cheston saw ~30hp gain on the dyno sheet so he reported what he saw. didn't lie,
That was never the point.
The point is he claimed it will show the 30hp on a *dynojet* as well, THAT's where the disagreement is.
Old 10-18-2000, 01:32 PM

Re: Re: YALL JUST PUNKS!!!

Originally posted by PIONEER

is it me or your back tire is off the ground in that pic?

U guys working on the ECU don't worry about any smack from anyone, if its gonna produce the #s I'm sure the cry babies would buy the damn ECUs too.
hehe, you like? =0)
Old 10-18-2000, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by WoodEar
....Cheston decided to get jumpy and called my name publicly and started attacking. So fine he wants an argument he gets one, he is the one look stupid until he can come up with a 30FWHP dynojet proof.

Muhahaha
Welps, you're assigning 100% of the blame for any hotilities to Cheston & not accepting any of it yourself. This is not entirely accurate. Your "lets make a bet" fiasco played a big role in all of the ill-will, & is the reason that Cheston became irritated in the first place. You are not as completely innocent in all of this as you're making yourself out to be, Chris.

Now, can we all please just stop. This is about the fifth thread on the topic in less than 48 hours. Jamie has closed at least three such threads alone. Cheston & Nabil did ALL of this on their own accord. We should be grateful. The end result of this kind of bickering is going to be just one thing - NO ONE is ever going to be the administrator of any kind of development and/or group deal again. We all lose.

Old 10-18-2000, 01:45 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

If Stillen and UPRD have been working on these ECUs for so long, then why all of a sudden are they able to make it work so shortly after Chebostos inquiry? It sounds a little fishy to me. It's as if they just had this program just sitting around the shop.

I think people want to believe so much that it is true a NA V6 can gain nearly 20% whp from some better programming. Come on, 20%whp?!?!?! If this is really true then UPRD should be making chips for everyone. Even custom chips tuned to mods don't gain 20% in whp.

If Chebosto or Nabil want to save money then take it to the track. Pay $20 and get some timeslips before and after. Like I said before, gaining 30whp will equate to atleast a 3mph gain in the 1/4 mile in a Maxima. I could care less what Nabil run before this whole chip fiasco. Make two run without the chip and two runs with the chip on the same day.

I'm not gonna believe the tuner or his dyno. Sorry, I know how easy it is to change varibles on a dyno to make it appear like you're making more power. I need more proof than just a clayton dyno run, what the car "feels" like, and how easy roadkills are to come by.

Dave

Dave
Old 10-18-2000, 01:52 PM
is invisible

Really, the question is...

how much are Cheston and Nabil being paid to promote this ECU? jk
Old 10-18-2000, 01:58 PM

Re: Really, the question is...

Originally posted by CoolMax
how much are Cheston and Nabil being paid to promote this ECU? jk
I know that you're just joking, man - but given the circumstances, I'd say it could be argued how funny the quip is. I can feel for Cheston & Nabil. I mean, these guys go out and put together what they think is a great deal for the members of Maxima.org. And now they've been called liars, cheats, told to go to the track and bring back results, go to different dyno houses, that their subjective evaluations of how the car now drives are meaningless (I think that was a little harsh DaveB). Put yourself into their shoes - how funny would you have found that joke. On the reals, I KNOW you were just kidding around, but I'm trying to add perspective. Cheston & Nabil have been given sort of a bum rap, IMHO.

Old 10-18-2000, 02:00 PM

well woodear, don't really remember cheston saying a garuantee 30hp other than you "pushing" him towards something like that.

well some contract thing failed, probably b/c both were greedy and one wanted more profit than other. i can really really see that from stillen. =0)

i think they should "tax" ppl for all the anxiety ppl have brought on to them. time to sort through the bbs threads and order list.

well dave buddy, just don't buy it man or just chill and wait out.
Old 10-18-2000, 02:01 PM

Welps, you're assigning 100% of the blame for any hotilities to Cheston & not accepting any of it yourself. This is not entirely accurate. Your "lets make a bet" fiasco played a big role in all of the ill-will, & is the reason that Cheston became irritated in the first place. You are not as completely innocent in all of this as you're making yourself out to be, Chris.
I disagree.
If you break the whole thing down to small pieces, the piece that did it was when Cheston called my name and attacked me, before that everything was normal. After that anything goes, one is gonna say whatever he has to say in the argument, so don't blame me.
Also, you are wrong about he got irritated *after* my bet proposing, here is his post on Shing's BBS *before* my bet fiasco:
http://pub21.ezboard.com/fmaximacomm...icID=811.topic

Old 10-18-2000, 02:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Closing this one too...

I think we've debated this one enough. I'll whip back through these threads soon and delete the argumentative ones. I hope folks will get the point here.