General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

CNN story: check it out...you may be wasting money

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2000, 11:09 AM

Check out the link below.

http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2000/10/18/home_auto/q_gas/

Roman
Old 10-19-2000, 11:22 AM

modern myths

There are so many things that people just assume and research! Fule ratings, oil change intervals, taxes, loans, the list goes on. Anyway...off the soapbox. Low to mid grade gasoline does exactly what your engine needs. I know there is that extra peppy feels your car gets when you get that 93 octane gas, but that's what you are paying for. It doesn't do anything SIGNIFICANTLY better than the lower grade. I am interested to see what others think....Thanks roman...good link

Old 10-19-2000, 11:24 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I guess we are in the 5%...

actually, I noticed that many new cars will need 92+. I wonder about the new 200hp+ Acura CL and MDX. i suspect they need prem gas too (over 10.1 comp ratio).
Old 10-19-2000, 11:24 AM

can't type today...

I meant that people should take a few minutes and research things more, therefore saving time and money. That's half the purpose of this great BBS!

Old 10-19-2000, 11:27 AM

WRONG....

its has everything to do with compression ratio and nothing to do with peppy. I think we've beat this dead horse enough. If you dont mind running the risk of screwing up your engine (under heavy load/throttle) and voiding your warranty, more power to you and your low octane myth.

Trust me, needing premium gas is not a selling feature Nissan promotes. if we didnt need it, they certainly wouldnt spec it.
Old 10-19-2000, 11:28 AM

I have...

a 93 GXE and I fill it up with the cheapest stuff I can find..usually Hess - $1.55 - not bad. But after hearing people talk about this issue I am thinking of using at least 89.
Later I'll check the manual and see what it says and go by that.
Just a thought.

Laterz,
Roman
Old 10-19-2000, 11:30 AM
The missing moderator

Re: WRONG....

Originally posted by TimW
its has everything to do with compression ratio and nothing to do with peppy. I think we've beat this dead horse enough. If you dont mind running the risk of screwing up your engine (under heavy load/throttle) and voiding your warranty, more power to you and your low octane myth.

Trust me, needing premium gas is not a selling feature Nissan promotes. if we didnt need it, they certainly wouldnt spec it.
Tim's right...

If you are does not require higher octane gas.. then you would be wasting money. But if you are requires it. Use it...

-Shing
Old 10-19-2000, 11:32 AM

All I'm saying...

is that if you've decided for yourself that you want to run the risk, go for it.. but dont tell others they should too. I've seen holes in a piston from predetonation, it happened while towing a jet ski.

thats like telling people they are wasting their money paying insurance and not waiting to change oil until 7500 miles. Hey if it works for you, great.
Old 10-19-2000, 11:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by roman
Check out the link below.

http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2000/10/18/home_auto/q_gas/

Roman
I used to buy lowest octane gas, 87 that is. Several months after I got my maxima, it started pinging, so I switched to the highest octane, 93. And it really helped. I don't hear pinging anymore, car drives fine, and I am happy with it.
Now I use only Mobil gas, and even got the speed pass
Old 10-19-2000, 11:54 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

If you've got a high compression motor, most likely you need high octane gas. It's as simple as that. Lately though, many auto makers have taken great leaps in making extremely high compression street motors like the Integra Type R and Acura CL Type S run on 91 octane fuel. 10 years ago that would have been unheard of without running 95+ octane fuel.

The octane rating is a fuel's resistance to burn. The higher the number, the more resistance it has. High compression motors generate a lot of heat and will explode lower grade fuels before the spark plugs ignite (aka detonation).

Dave
Old 10-19-2000, 01:10 PM

I used to fret about this decision because the local Esso station (ExxonMobil's Canadian subsidiary) only sells 87, 89 and 93. So I had visions of having to do a half-tank of 89, then a half-tank of 93, in order to get a consistent 91.

And then I filled up at Petro-Canada, where they have 91 as their premium gas, at a cheaper price than the 93 (duh). I also found out that Petro-Canada uses a better oil than Exxon for its gas, the end result being that Esso gas has the highest sulphur content of gas on the market. Petro-Canada's gas also includes gas-line antifreeze, great for the Canadian climate... these factors combined have completely turned me on to Petro-Canada and certainly away from Esso.

- Andrew

Oh, and I wish I could find the source about the sulphur content, but I can't so take it at face value.
Old 10-19-2000, 02:01 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

don't be assed out like that guy at stillen that put in 87 octane in the 2k Pace Car.

that thing needed 100 octane and the a-hole that took it for a spin put in 87. HAHAHAH

messed it up...
Old 10-19-2000, 02:10 PM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by Chebosto
don't be assed out like that guy at stillen that put in 87 octane in the 2k Pace Car.

that thing needed 100 octane and the a-hole that took it for a spin put in 87. HAHAHAH

messed it up...
ping ping ting ting knock knock ping ting...... BOOOOM
Old 10-19-2000, 02:24 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Ok, we really need to consider the source here ->

CNN?

CNN!?

CNN?!?

How many of us honestly take these guys seriously when they report anything.....

Hmmm....putting 93 octane in my car is a waste of money.....the 99 Max recommends 92 and higher octane....Hmmmmmm....

As cheap as Nissan is, I have a hard time believing that Nissan would just say "put premium in" for the heck of it.

My experience is that the premium gas in my 94 VG and 99 VQ motors just makes the car run and FEEL better....
Old 10-19-2000, 02:48 PM

hey now...

hey! CNN has a great food court.. had a great chicken wrap there last week. They cant be all bad. oh, I'm sorry what was the topic again?
Old 10-19-2000, 04:42 PM

Actually, that CNN article does have a lot of truth to it.

..if you drive a Chevy Cavalier.

Those of us who drive Maximas, will probably want to consult the owners manual and use what Nissan recommends.

Anyhow, think about this..

The CNN article says that the average price difference between 87 and 93 is 16 cents. If you drive 15,000 miles a year, and get a conservative 20 miles to the gallon (lead foot?), you'll burn 750 gallons of gas a year. A 16 cent difference means you end up paying $120 extra in gasoline per year if you use 93 instead of 87. 120 measly bux. $10 a month. If you drive a maxima, you should be able to afford to spend an extra $10 a month.
Old 10-19-2000, 06:18 PM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by Slowpoke
If you drive a maxima, you should be able to afford to spend an extra $10 a month.
That's an assumption I would think. I try to buy the least expensive gas I can find... but "name brand" only.

Cause the way I see it, I can spend that extra few bucks else where. But like you first stated... it's true if you car does not need it. But if your manual tells you, you should. Like someone said earlier... using premium gas is not a selling point... "oh BTW you will have to use the most expensive premium gas on your car... we are cool cause unlike brand xyz, they only need to use the cheap stuff".

I don't understand why this subject always comes up and there are so many debates about it. The manual says high octane gas... I mean this is not a selling point, so I don't think car manufacturers would put this in if they didn't have to.

-Shing
Old 10-19-2000, 08:14 PM

93 = Gatorade
87 = Kool-aid?
Old 10-19-2000, 11:43 PM

How many times do I need to say this?

The Maxima DOES NOT REQUIRE premium gas. It runs just fine on regular. You cannot possibly ruin your engine by running regular, unless the knock sensors are malfunctioning or your engine timing is off. However, premium gas is recommended for maximum performance. Just what is "maximum performance?" I've often wondered. I can't tell any difference in acceleration between 92 octane and 87 octane.

I admit I run super unleaded in my car. I don't scoff at poeple who run regular, but if by using super my car even makes 1 more horsepower than a Maxima running regular, then that gives me peace of mind.

The knock sensors adjust timing to resist knocking on lower octane fuel. My guess is that you can't possibly be losing more a few horsepower from it. It almost makes me sick when people say something to the effect of "your engine will explode" if you use regular. Huhwuh??? That won't happen, folks.

Also, some people think super has more detergents than regular. I don't remember ANY gasoline manufacturer saying that. They advertise their super unleaded as keeping your injectors clean, but it's the same stuff they also put into their regular unleaded.