General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What did everyone RUN at Maxus E/T & Mods list

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 07:08 PM

Jim, I don't think your car will walk a 5th Gen with mods. I raced Ming, from 80+, Raced Matt at 80+ and my car pulls way harder then those guys. At first Ming though I had a V2 in my car but then I told him It was just the boltonz. so it would be a good run, but not a easy walkon.
Old 07-30-2001, 07:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SprintMax
All you 5spd Owners who had sucky times... ok maybe i should just say ALL you 5spd owners .. all had slipping clutches.. what.. did they have like a clutch burn out before maxus?
my rule is as follows: "if you don't slip the clutch, you don't get a clutch that slips"
Old 07-30-2001, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Re: ..

Originally posted by Confused
something wrong BB?
Old 07-30-2001, 07:36 PM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

Re: Re: ..

the clutch on my keyboard slipped

something wrong BB?
Old 07-30-2001, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: ..

Originally posted by Confused
the clutch on my keyboard slipped

Old 07-30-2001, 11:00 PM
PhatGuy

Great times! A lot of other car owners under estimate a 5th gen with Y and Intake especially on the highway. The pull is very strong especially 3rd and 4th.

Just looking at the numbers same day same track:

JimW's Audi best time that day:
14.71 95.49mph
-2.11 60ft
-----

Pioneer's:
14.83 96mph
-----

This isn't flame this is fact. Jim I realize your car is fast but you gotta get realistic in your "claims" that a stock A6 6spd is going to walk a NA 5spd 5th with some basic mods. Your car has a few mods and the numbers still just don't add up to you walking one from 30-90 let alone anything above 30? Look at the trap speeds. Don't get mad at me for calling you on your claims especially when it is clear and on a maxima forum. Your car stock or even with the mods you have now simply won't pull away and might actually lose on a roll. Yes I am a proud Maxima owner and yes I am going to defend it but man your claims don't make any sense. 3-4 cars from 30-90 or a walk? Nope!

Originally posted by PIONEER
you called for me so here we go. My mods are Y-pipe, CAI, HKS Rear Section.

3 Runs in the 14.8z all 3 at trap speed of 96mph.

1st run

1/4 time 14.88 R/T .781 Speed 96.08 60ft 2.37
1/4 time 14.84 R/T .961 Speed 96.38 60ft 2.40
1/4 time 14.83 R/T .750 Speed 96.00 60ft 2.37

Every Run I spun tires all through 1st, I know it can do better. My tires are sorta bald and my clutch is slipping.

Old 07-31-2001, 05:42 AM

So what was the fastest ET posted

at Maxus?
Old 07-31-2001, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
That is amazing! The 250HP+ twin turbo 6spd modded Audi and 260HP+ modded Acura Type S musta been like whoa! You don't even have a Y-Pipe on yet..not using the baby bottle...no boost at all! Damn! And consistancy as well not just a "one hit wonder" like most.

So you are the only NA Max to break 15's? You must put a lot of expensive high HP cars to shame!

I raced a CL-Type S(260HP) and they have pull. I took him from the line but everytime he shifted he pulled and he gained a car length on me. My car is stock(190HP) but I was please with its performance either way. I think Aaron could have beat the car with his configuration but it would be really close.
Old 07-31-2001, 06:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: So what was the fastest ET posted

SighMax posted a 14.3.

Originally posted by SteveChicagoSC
at Maxus?
Old 07-31-2001, 06:10 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

i think brett ran a 14.25 on a red light...
Old 07-31-2001, 06:24 AM
JimW

Dave, we keep getting into this loop-->

Originally posted by Dave B

Jim-

I don't know if that's entirely true. Your car is capable of 95-96mph trap speeds plus you get off the line harder. Seeing that your trap speeds are no better than most modded 5th gens and even some 4th gens, I don't see how you can easily pull away in the topend. Your car gets off the line better due to more traction, but it doesn't generate any more acceleration. Trap speeds are clear indicator of what the car is truely capable of. Your car puts down all it's power where as the Max has to find that fine line between traction and acceleration.

Observation: I think you sometimes base the Maxima's acceleration on how your auto Max ran. Now you've got a manual tranny and it feels world's faster. Don't forget that Maximas come with manuals too and are a bit quicker than their auto counterparts. In the terms of "feel", the manual Max feels MUCH faster, but on paper it's about .5 quicker. On paper, your Audi TT looks to be no faster than a strong running NA modded 4th/5th gen 5 speed. You say you'd walk a 5th gen after 60mph. What are your 1/8th trap speeds? A 14.5@96 suggests 76mph traps which is no better than say MadMax's 14.4@96mph 5th gen. My 4th gen hits 75mph when I'm running 14.7-14.8.

BTW, I'm not trying to flame ya.

Dave
My car weighs 4080 lbs with me in it. That's the reason that the trap speeds are in the 95-96 mph range. That's an awful lot of weight, close to 700-800 lbs more than a 5th gen. Use the HP calculators for comparison sake. The numbers might be slightly off, but for comparisons sake, just take them as a general rule of thumb. My numbers come out to approximately 275 hp. What does a Maxima's come out to?
I say that I will walk one because I have done it before (despite what PhatGuy thinks, I've done it) Contrary to what others may think, AWD doesn't sap 25% of the HP the engine makes, so I have a lot of HP available for acceleration at high speeds. From rolling speeds, I can match a GS400 (did that once on the NJT) but of course, I hit my limiter, whereas he didn't.
I'm not out to argue this to the 10th degree, but I do know that I've beaten the car PhatGuy has mentioned before. If you can find someone in my area who would like to do this, fine, we'll do it. Otherwise, it's just one person saying what he "thinks" a car like his car can beat, while another person who has the car he thinks his can beat has beaten the car the first person thinks his car can beat.
We can speculate all day about what cars we think ours can beat, but until proven, it's not a fact.

Old 07-31-2001, 06:32 AM

MAXUS 1/4 mile time

ET 1/4 mile: 15.82
R/T: 0.96 (blah)
Speed 1/4 mile: 88.9
60': 2.35
330': 6.67
1/8 mile: 10.2477

1997 5-speed SE with 72k miles

I too will use the "slipping clutch excuse" as I still have the original factory clutch. I will also use the "first time racing" excuse
Old 07-31-2001, 06:33 AM
JimW

NIce runs you got there-->

Originally posted by PIONEER
Jim, I don't think your car will walk a 5th Gen with mods. I raced Ming, from 80+, Raced Matt at 80+ and my car pulls way harder then those guys. At first Ming though I had a V2 in my car but then I told him It was just the boltonz. so it would be a good run, but not a easy walkon.
Not bad, with some practice I'm sure you'll do better.
One thing you're saying, was that there was a lot of wheelspin and you're clutch is slipping.
You've gotta realize those are the things that make racing racing. You've got some good power there, no question,but you've gotta put it to the ground well to be fast in the 1/4 mile. Now, I can put all my power to the ground, but I've got over 4000lbs going through a stock clutch, which at over $2000 I'm not ready to abuse. So there's tons of improvement on my behalf as well, I'm just not thrashing my car to run 14 flat. (which could most probably be done in the same tune I'm in right now)
Also, you should understand, until you've driven/raced a car just like mine you have no idea how hard my car pulls at speed.

Old 07-31-2001, 06:42 AM
JimW

Phatguy, last response on this topic for me-->

Originally posted by PhatGuy
Great times! A lot of other car owners under estimate a 5th gen with Y and Intake especially on the highway. The pull is very strong especially 3rd and 4th.

Just looking at the numbers same day same track:

JimW's Audi best time that day:
14.71 95.49mph
-2.11 60ft
-----

Pioneer's:
14.83 96mph
-----

This isn't flame this is fact. Jim I realize your car is fast but you gotta get realistic in your "claims" that a stock A6 6spd is going to walk a NA 5spd 5th with some basic mods. Your car has a few mods and the numbers still just don't add up to you walking one from 30-90 let alone anything above 30? Look at the trap speeds. Don't get mad at me for calling you on your claims especially when it is clear and on a maxima forum. Your car stock or even with the mods you have now simply won't pull away and might actually lose on a roll. Yes I am a proud Maxima owner and yes I am going to defend it but man your claims don't make any sense. 3-4 cars from 30-90 or a walk? Nope!

take weight into consideration OK? Realistically. My car weighs 700-800lbs more than yours. Even though it has more HP, it has more weight to it. It won't accelerate as easily through the 1/4 mile. Now once rolling, weight is no longer as much of an issue. From 30-90 (and lets not stop there) and up, it's more of an HP to aerodynamics battle here. I'm done with this thread, it just keeps going around in circles again.
Did you ever test drive the 2.7T 6 spd like you said you would? I never saw any posts about it.

Old 07-31-2001, 06:46 AM

"first time racing"

Mrs. MegaMax
Her First time Ever on the Track

1/4 mile: 16.00
R/T: 1.0409 (blah)
Speed 1/4 mile: 83.9969
60': 2.43
330': 6.76
1/8 mile: 10.2951

Mods Same as Mine

Stillen HAI & Greddy Cat Back Bald Tires

98' Auto SE over 60K Miles

Originally posted by Neptune97
ET 1/4 mile: 15.82
R/T: 0.96 (blah)
Speed 1/4 mile: 88.9
60': 2.35
330': 6.67
1/8 mile: 10.2477

1997 5-speed SE with 72k miles

I too will use the "slipping clutch excuse" as I still have the original factory clutch. I will also use the "first time racing" excuse
Old 07-31-2001, 07:06 AM

There WAS a Maxima vs. CL-S race, a 5th Gen 5 speed vs. a Agean Blue CL-S. Both of them pulled 15.3 at 89 I believe, it was VERY close.
Old 07-31-2001, 07:36 AM
JimW

Whoops, meant to include this link, HP calculator

Originally posted by JimW

take weight into consideration OK? Realistically. My car weighs 700-800lbs more than yours. Even though it has more HP, it has more weight to it. It won't accelerate as easily through the 1/4 mile. Now once rolling, weight is no longer as much of an issue. From 30-90 (and lets not stop there) and up, it's more of an HP to aerodynamics battle here. I'm done with this thread, it just keeps going around in circles again.
Did you ever test drive the 2.7T 6 spd like you said you would? I never saw any posts about it.
using my E-town #'s
Weight was 4080 lbs, ET was the ones you see inthe sig.

For saturday, I weighed a bit more, didn't see any scales there. But I had over 1/2 tank of fuel, (about 1/4 tank more than at E-town) and about 50-60 lbs of other junk in the trunk. So just use 4150 as a good number.

Then plug in the numbers for the 5th gen and see what you get.

http://home.att.net/~turbo.jeff/index.html

Old 07-31-2001, 07:37 AM

Re: Dave, we keep getting into this loop-->

My car weighs 4080 lbs with me in it. That's the reason that the trap speeds are in the 95-96 mph range. That's an awful lot of weight, close to 700-800 lbs more than a 5th gen. Use the HP calculators for comparison sake. The numbers might be slightly off, but for comparisons sake, just take them as a general rule of thumb. My numbers come out to approximately 275 hp. What does a Maxima's come out to?
I say that I will walk one because I have done it before (despite what PhatGuy thinks, I've done it) Contrary to what others may think, AWD doesn't sap 25% of the HP the engine makes, so I have a lot of HP available for acceleration at high speeds. From rolling speeds, I can match a GS400 (did that once on the NJT) but of course, I hit my limiter, whereas he didn't.
I'm not out to argue this to the 10th degree, but I do know that I've beaten the car PhatGuy has mentioned before. If you can find someone in my area who would like to do this, fine, we'll do it. Otherwise, it's just one person saying what he "thinks" a car like his car can beat, while another person who has the car he thinks his can beat has beaten the car the first person thinks his car can beat.
We can speculate all day about what cars we think ours can beat, but until proven, it's not a fact.
Well, all he had to do was come to Maxus and race you right? I like those A6's.
Old 07-31-2001, 07:41 AM

bring it on slow boy
i'll bring it .. but you're gonna be the one's who's left behind ... you could spray 100 shot and you won't catch me

you still think i'm playing?

Maxima = Sloooooooooooow
Katana = Fasssssssssssst

Ant
Old 07-31-2001, 08:11 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: "first time racing"

Originally posted by MegaMax
Mrs. MegaMax
Her First time Ever on the Track

1/4 mile: 16.00
R/T: 1.0409 (blah)
Speed 1/4 mile: 883.9969
60': 2.43
330': 6.76
1/8 mile: 10.2951

Mods Same as Mine

Stillen HAI & Greddy Cat Back Bald Tires

98' Auto SE over 60K Miles

that's a pretty impressive trap speed

hey did you get my PM?
Old 07-31-2001, 08:16 AM

Re: Re: "first time racing"

Originally posted by Chris91SE

hey did you get my PM?
I just caught that. 883 MPH in the 1/4 mile. Mrs. Megamax was the fastest at the track.
Old 07-31-2001, 08:58 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Jim-

(Friendly debate)
There's a lot more to a car's performance other than the power to weight. Things like aerodynamics, gearings, and most importantly the overall powerbands must be considered. The VQ has a very flat torque curve and the hp is very linear which makes for very useable power from 3500 to 5800-6500rpms (depending on model). The 5 speed also has perfectly selected gears for strong top end acceleration.

You could launch your car to a 1.8 60 foot, but you'll still be running 95-96 trap speeds (maybe even slower). Your et will be much better, but the mph won't be influenced. I also doubt a 4100lb A6TT would be able to pull 1.8 60' anyways. I'd think a 1.9 would be about as good as you can get in mostly stock form with the 4100lb car. 1/4 mile trap speed is a clear indicator on how hard the car is accelerating. You say you'd walk away from a modded Max anywhere from a roll. It's just not possible. Both you and the Max are covering the same amount of ground at the far end of the track. The only time you'll get a lead is on the launch. If you ran a 14.7@96 and the Max ran a 14.8@96, it means the Max got a slower start, but accelerates harder once it's going. The A6 doesn't loose 25% to the wheels, but you can't deny that driveline drag once rolling doesn't become an issue. It's just like running heavier wheels. I still don't understand your argument about us needing to drive the Audi A6TT to truely understand it's acceleration. If your car was a topend monster, then it would have a high trap speed vs it's et. An example could be a Mustang Cobra. The Cobra has a hard time getting off the line due to weak lowend torque, but it comes alive on the far end and run a 13.9@102mph. A 102mph trap speed clearly shows the potential of running lower 13s with a brutal launch on slicks. Your car can already do brutal launches and your trap speed in 96mph (ie not huge topend in relation to et). Under a brutal launch, a 14.0 is very possible with you car. From 0-100mph your car accelerates no faster than a good running Maxima. If your car can't outrun a Max in the 1/4, then most likely it won't do much better on the topend. The Max might have less power, but it doesn't have the weight or driveline drag.

Dave
Old 07-31-2001, 09:01 AM

Re: Re: "first time racing"

HA HA HA
Nothing gets by you guys...

Yes I did get the PM.. I will do a Post about it cause i have limited footage... You'll see the post, Anyway.

I'll keep you updated.

hey did you get my PM?
Old 07-31-2001, 09:06 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Jim-

(Friendly debate)
There's a lot more to a car's performance other than the power to weight. Things like aerodynamics, gearings, and most importantly the overall powerbands must be considered. The VQ has a very flat torque curve and the hp is very linear which makes for very useable power from 3500 to 5800-6500rpms (depending on model). The 5 speed also has perfectly selected gears for strong top end acceleration.

You could launch your car to a 1.8 60 foot, but you'll still be running 95-96 trap speeds (maybe even slower). Your et will be much better, but the mph won't be influenced. I also doubt a 4100lb A6TT would be able to pull 1.8 60' anyways. I'd think a 1.9 would be about as good as you can get in mostly stock form with the 4100lb car. 1/4 mile trap speed is a clear indicator on how hard the car is accelerating. You say you'd walk away from a modded Max anywhere from a roll. It's just not possible. Both you and the Max are covering the same amount of ground at the far end of the track. The only time you'll get a lead is on the launch. If you ran a 14.7@96 and the Max ran a 14.8@96, it means the Max got a slower start, but accelerates harder once it's going. The A6 doesn't loose 25% to the wheels, but you can't deny that driveline drag once rolling doesn't become an issue. It's just like running heavier wheels. I still don't understand your argument about us needing to drive the Audi A6TT to truely understand it's acceleration. If your car was a topend monster, then it would have a high trap speed vs it's et. An example could be a Mustang Cobra. The Cobra has a hard time getting off the line due to weak lowend torque, but it comes alive on the far end and run a 13.9@102mph. A 102mph trap speed clearly shows the potential of running lower 13s with a brutal launch on slicks. Your car can already do brutal launches and your trap speed in 96mph (ie not huge topend in relation to et). Under a brutal launch, a 14.0 is very possible with you car. From 0-100mph your car accelerates no faster than a good running Maxima. If your car can't outrun a Max in the 1/4, then most likely it won't do much better on the topend. The Max might have less power, but it doesn't have the weight or driveline drag.

Dave
Old 07-31-2001, 09:19 AM
PhatGuy

Re: Phatguy, last response on this topic for me-->

Well bottomline is no one is walking anyone especially if the A6 is in stock form. You might win one you might lose one but it won't be any walk that is for sure. Have you driven a 2k+ 5spd with intake and y-pipe at WOT in 4th gear to 120? Trust me it pulls hard to 120. Also the Max can pull to 140+ can your stock A6 (or with the mods you have)even now do 140? When you hit your top speed limiter who gets walked then? I'm not cutting your car down but I am cutting down your claims of walking the Max in question especially on a roll (stock or with your mods). I know this debate sounds a lil stupid but someone had to call you on your claims. Bottomline it would be close and could go either way.....would be no "walk" in the park for either car. Why is that so hard to admit?

After getting a closer look at the A6 I really didn't like the current styling so I lost interest in the car. I have driven an S4 though.

Old 07-31-2001, 09:32 AM
JimW

Debate continued-->

Originally posted by Dave B
Jim-

(Friendly debate)

Dave
still friendly of course.
The reason I tell you to test drive the car is so you can experience the the way the car accelerates, both from standing start and at high speeds. As far as torque and gearing, the car is not geared for low speed running, and the 6 spds are spaced in a way that favors high speed acceleration. Torque output is flat from 1800 to 4800 rpm HP is at a 5600 rpmin the 2.7T (which has slightly different tuning from the S4) and the acceleration at high speeds is more impressive than you'd think. (it's more impressive than I thought it would be) And as far as almost all enthusiasts consider,my car is still stock. None of the Audi gearheads consider BPV's and a K&N to be power producing mods.
We are both sitting here and debating this, and the simple fact remains that it has happened before, and no matter what I say, because this is a Maxima forum, I will always come out the loser in this discussion. No matter, I have nothing to prove in this case, as I know what my car is capable of, and what other cars I have raced and what the outcome was. In a highway run just last week, I chased down an E46 M3 4dr in a 60-110 run, which was a 5 spd. So obviously I must be making some HP on the top end.
In all seriousness, I'm going to leave this alone now, maybe you or PhatGuy can find a 2.7t 6 spd in your area to race. The only way to put this to rest is to test.

Old 07-31-2001, 11:23 AM
PhatGuy

Re: Debate continued-->

Who's Max 2K+ 5spd with y-pipe and intake did you run? If it isn't someone you know or someone on the .org how do you know exactly what he had when going over 30mph or faster? Just curious?

still friendly of course.
The reason I tell you to test drive the car is so you can experience the the way the car accelerates, both from standing start and at high speeds. As far as torque and gearing, the car is not geared for low speed running, and the 6 spds are spaced in a way that favors high speed acceleration. Torque output is flat from 1800 to 4800 rpm HP is at a 5600 rpmin the 2.7T (which has slightly different tuning from the S4) and the acceleration at high speeds is more impressive than you'd think. (it's more impressive than I thought it would be) And as far as almost all enthusiasts consider,my car is still stock. None of the Audi gearheads consider BPV's and a K&N to be power producing mods.
We are both sitting here and debating this, and the simple fact remains that it has happened before, and no matter what I say, because this is a Maxima forum, I will always come out the loser in this discussion. No matter, I have nothing to prove in this case, as I know what my car is capable of, and what other cars I have raced and what the outcome was. In a highway run just last week, I chased down an E46 M3 4dr in a 60-110 run, which was a 5 spd. So obviously I must be making some HP on the top end.
In all seriousness, I'm going to leave this alone now, maybe you or PhatGuy can find a 2.7t 6 spd in your area to race. The only way to put this to rest is to test.

Old 07-31-2001, 02:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: "first time racing"

Yes I guess according to my husband, MegaMax, I was the fastest at the track...LOL I did race 97Maxgurl (great R/T for her) mine sucked, but I did win in the end. and I do want to race her again. If her R/T gets any better she could beat me. I had a blast at Maxus 2001 and enjoyed everyone's company. Anyone else up for a challenge from a WOMAN?????????? Just let me know and we can DO THIS!

Originally posted by deezo

I just caught that. 883 MPH in the 1/4 mile. Mrs. Megamax was the fastest at the track.
Old 07-31-2001, 02:59 PM

I guess i was the only 14 sec auto max.
Old 07-31-2001, 03:08 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by Synki

good thing you are a devoted SMC member and haven't moved to the darkside
Old 07-31-2001, 03:15 PM

E-Town

Well... 15.4 with a Bad Launch and NO Cat back... I have to go to E-town and see if I can join ya in the 14's Did I mention I will NOT use NOS to do it..!

I have to go to E-Town and see what I can do..

Old 07-31-2001, 03:15 PM

good thing you are a devoted SMC member and haven't moved to the darkside
Now I don't know whether I should really be in the SMC club. I have no engine mods so I should be where I am, I think.
Old 07-31-2001, 03:17 PM

Re: E-Town

Originally posted by MegaMax
Well... 15.4 with a Bad Launch and NO Cat back... I have to go to E-town and see if I can join ya in the 14's Did I mention I will NOT use NOS to do it..!

I have to go to E-Town and see what I can do..

Well i will be heading down soon. Maybe tomorrow night or Fri night. Let me know if your down. I will be doing some N/A runs and some Juiced runs.
Old 07-31-2001, 03:18 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: Re: E-Town

Well i will be heading down soon. Maybe tomorrow night or Fri night. Let me know if your down. I will be doing some N/A runs and some Juiced runs.
hmmm...what's the weather gonna be like on those nights?