General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

2K GXE- Pings when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2000, 07:02 AM

New in May w/4K miles, broken in gently, but it still pings
consistently when the accelerator is applied. I have tried low and high octane gas.

Dealership "has checked everything" and insists the problem is "bad gas". (I've had bad gas before, and it never 'pings').

Anyway, now the dealer says the car WILL ping if anything other than 91+ octane fuel is used.

Can anyone comment on the affect of lower octane fuel in this engine?

Karl

Old 08-26-2000, 07:25 AM

It might ping when starting from

a standstill, even with super gaz. but with 93 octane it should not be doing that all the time. again, it's understandable if you are starting from a dead-stop and going uphill, but not from a traffic light on a flat. dealer probably just doesn't know what is defective about your car, that is often the case with Nissan. I had parking lamps that kept blowing the fuse and their answer was to double the amperage rating of the fuse after 3 weeks of "talking with Nissan."

Old 08-26-2000, 07:48 AM

as for the lower octane

It's actually good for the car, toughens up your motor so it's not such a pansy like all the others getting ultra supremo octane boosta....actually it's fine. Nissan says regular may be used when premium is not available. Not like some other cars where premium is required. Plus saves you money by using economy grade.

Old 08-26-2000, 07:57 AM

Re: Re: as for the lower octane

[QUOTE]Originally posted by doug
[B]actually your wrong... unless you live in the north where it is cold then you should be running 93, you can use lower octane when its cold because it helps the car run better, however if you live in the south, like texas, or cali, you should be running 93 or you will experience pinging and the car engine will not run as long

Nah, engine will not run as long? c'mon buddy, don't start making things up like that. Pinging, yes. Car remembers how many tanks and it takes 3? Car knows what state you're in? Don't think so. Seems fishy if you ask me. Fill up the car and go for a ride.

Old 08-26-2000, 08:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: as for the lower octane

[QUOTE]Originally posted by doug
[B]i know a great junk yard here in NY when your engine goes.. just keep my email handy

Dude, I live 3 miles from Hunt's Point. But you are the last word answer man, that'd be right.

Old 08-26-2000, 10:25 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I'm kinda lost on what you guys are

arguing about now but back to the gas thing.

Bottom line, yes your ECU will adjust for the predetonation while using lower octane, your engine will be having detonation at the wrong time. Thats fine for a tank or two in a pinch, but prolonged use can damage your pistons and reduce the performance of your car.

There are two issues at work here. Yes, dont believe the hype of the oil companies, they are full o crap and just want your dollar... but for Nissan to recommend that you use the most expensive gas is actually a characteristic that they dont like promoting. They know that some people weigh that when considering Honda and Toyota. Trust me, Nissan knows insisting on 91+ is not a selling feature, but a necessity to sell a 222hp engine with a 10.1 compression ratio. Using 'better gas' may be a myth for lower compression engines, but not ours... it really does help.

If you drive like a granny and never go above 1/2 throttle, your engine may never know the difference. But if you want a hole in your pistons, load up with cheap gas and go out to the track.

Old 08-26-2000, 10:37 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

Oh, about the ping...

I've only heard my car ping a few occasions, on startup after sitting for several days. it went way in about 20 seconds. leads me to believe it was oil starved.

You know... the lesson I have learned about Nissan service is that if you know something is wrong (and you do), than drive to another dealer.. even if thats 45 mins away. I've been told "that is spec" by one, only to be told by another that they found the problem and were happy to fix it.

I doubt you'll end up living with this problem, but you'll have to make a HUGE stink to them. After each visit, call Nissan affairs just to tell them that nothing was done and youre still not happy. That will record some documentation at Nissan. Trust me it helps. Your call costs them money and hassle. Your visits to the dealer cost money. If they dont think you are going to stop, it becomes cheaper to fix your car. Man, whos got time for that... I feel you pain there.

For that matter, if the dealer blames the gas tell them you want to fill up where they do and keep your receipts. Fill up three times there, then bring your receipts and let them hear the pinging again. No excuse now..
Old 08-27-2000, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by kbermel
New in May w/4K miles, broken in gently, but it still pings
consistently when the accelerator is applied. I have tried low and high octane gas.

Dealership "has checked everything" and insists the problem is "bad gas". (I've had bad gas before, and it never 'pings').

Anyway, now the dealer says the car WILL ping if anything other than 91+ octane fuel is used.

Can anyone comment on the affect of lower octane fuel in this engine?

Karl
Dude its not worth the hassle. Even though you have a knock sensor your ECU will retard the timing a great deal to prevent detonation (pinging). The side affect of this is increased engine temps due to the fact that the spark plugs are firing later than before so you don't get a complete burn. Thus over time you lose power. Believe me we have ran 91+ octane in my car from day 1 and it has 220k miles and running strong. Besides for 10 gallons a 20 cent difference is only $2. New pistons are $70 each to have the block bored 0.020 and new rings run over $1200. Why not use mid grade and see if your car still has detonation?
Old 08-27-2000, 12:38 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I wish we had 91+ in Kansas City...

All you can get is 91 grade in Kansas City. You can sometimes get 92 at some Amaco stations, but my car doesn't seem to run as well on their stuff. I'd kill to get 93 octane. What I don't understand is it's hotter in Kansas than it is in Florida from spring to summer. We typically see 90+ degree days with 70%+ humidity from June to late September. Oh well.....guess I'll have to wait till the cool and dry fall to take advantage of the 91 octane.

Dave