General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Variable cams for the VQ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by Frezny

Great. Be sure to keep the .org posted of your progress if you choose to take on a VQ30DE VVT project. Look at it this way. Most people here believe that $4,000 for a V2 SC is way out of their price range. Even when it only gives you about 60 HP initially, people want it, and most will find a way to get it. A stock NA engine will easily see 30-40 HP gains from a VVT system, and that's only for your estimated $2000 price tag. People with more efficient exhaust and intake systems, not to mention any means of forced induction, will reap even greater performance. Now my numbers may be a little off, but when compared to the numbers of a S/C, it's not that unreasonable a cost. Not to forget that until now, nothing like this has been available for us... OK, enough for now. BTW, where in NY. I'm a Mid-Hudson Valley native.
I'm in Brooklyn NY.

I'm thinking that the power numbers you post are reasonable, but the torque numbers could be higher as the conversion seems to have a greater affect on those numbers than just hp. Since the torque is what propels the car, it would seem to me that this would be of more value than any extra hp that could be gained. Some of the high end domestic cars usually have close to, if not higher torque than hp, hence the ability to pull quite well from and standing start or, accelerate from a cruising posision. Even though those motors are not nearly as efficient or advanced as what is available from the Asian or Euro markets, they have the luxury of walking most other vehicles on the street, assumming of course the driver is competent, and the suspension is up to the task. The kind of power these vehicles have, is what we are focusing on for the applications we are doing. I am not saying that a Maxima will have 300+ hp and or torque, but it would be safe to say that the added torque for a Maxima (for example)would make for a more driver friendly car; espcially for those with slushboxes. The only other unknown would be top end power, as we are not attempting to switch over to a hot cam like what you would see in the VTEC motors. What we're looking at is something more along the lines of the continuosly variable timing as offered in the Toyota and Lexus model cars, where an effort is made to optimize timing across almost the entire power band.
Old 08-08-2001, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by wrecked

I'm in Brooklyn NY.

I'm thinking that the power numbers you post are reasonable, but the torque numbers could be higher as the conversion seems to have a greater affect on those numbers than just hp. Since the torque is what propels the car, it would seem to me that this would be of more value than any extra hp that could be gained. Some of the high end domestic cars usually have close to, if not higher torque than hp, hence the ability to pull quite well from and standing start or, accelerate from a cruising posision. Even though those motors are not nearly as efficient or advanced as what is available from the Asian or Euro markets, they have the luxury of walking most other vehicles on the street, assumming of course the driver is competent, and the suspension is up to the task. The kind of power these vehicles have, is what we are focusing on for the applications we are doing. I am not saying that a Maxima will have 300+ hp and or torque, but it would be safe to say that the added torque for a Maxima (for example)would make for a more driver friendly car; espcially for those with slushboxes. The only other unknown would be top end power, as we are not attempting to switch over to a hot cam like what you would see in the VTEC motors. What we're looking at is something more along the lines of the continuosly variable timing as offered in the Toyota and Lexus model cars, where an effort is made to optimize timing across almost the entire power band.
sounds like just what the doctor ordered... extra umph while retaining reliability and varied driver friendlyness.
Old 08-09-2001, 06:24 AM

...What we're looking at is something more along the lines of the continuosly variable timing as offered in the Toyota and Lexus model cars, where an effort is made to optimize timing across almost the entire power band.
Everything sounds great. We await progress with eager anticipation. If you could offer variable lift also… that would simply be incredible.
Old 08-10-2001, 05:19 AM

Originally posted by Frezny

Everything sounds great. We await progress with eager anticipation. If you could offer variable lift also… that would simply be incredible.
I wont bs you on this; it is going to be a good while before we get to this, since we're already committed to doing some Euro applications first. But I will see that it gets priority when those are finished. I don't have a timeframe as to when, however. i will keep you posted, or I will send you and email, just to let you know what is happenning.

I wont be posting on this much more for the time being, but if anyone has feedback or a general question, shot me a mail, and I will respond. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 01-20-2002, 06:12 PM

Hey guys,

Had not been here in a while, but just wanted to touch base.

The conversation brewed a while back about the variable timing conversion. In a few more weeks, testing will be conducted on a 2 valve per cylinder euro motor (VW to be exact).

Now as I had mentioned so long ago, if there is any interest, an application for the Max will not be in the works for some time. Mainly due to the other stuff that I am involved in, as well as the preliminary testing that has to be done.

For any of you that are still interested, or want a peek at what I was mumbling about, you can go to this site for answers: www.aatap.bigstep.com

I am sure that this will be debated, pondered, dismissed and such, but in lieu of something better......

If you guys have any questions, flames, etc, please feel free to contact me. Probably wont be back here again for a while. Just wanted you to see the thing so you wont think it was all bs.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:41 AM
Keven97SE

wrecked,

I had a chance to review the information on your website yesterday, and I just want to let you know that the design is brilliant. If the device indeed works as you claim, you have a product on your hands that applies the same basic principles of far more elaborate devices (VTEC, VVTi, etc) in an incredibly simple manner. Bravo! You've essentially created a checkvalve for the flow streams at the head. It's just a fantastic device!

I do have some concerns regarding longevity, though. What are the effects of carbon buildup or fuel residuals on this device? You have an extremely lightweight floating valve seat that is dependent on the friction between it and the valve to determine the DP at which it will "activate". A little carbon buildup beween the valve and floating seat could greatly alter this point. This would result in a motor that was very strong when new and felt markedly weaker after 5/10/30K miles. It appears to me that this device would probably work best in a direct injection motor, wherein the injector is downstream (in the c. chamber itself) of the "checkvalve".

Have you looked at the results of buildup on your device? Perhaps a low-friction coating on the valve and floating seat?

Don't get me wrong, though - I love this device. Once again, it is so simple yet provides the same benefit of far more elaborate systems. I just see one potential roadblock-type issue. I wish your company the best of luck!

Hey guys,

The conversation brewed a while back about the variable timing conversion. In a few more weeks, testing will be conducted on a 2 valve per cylinder euro motor (VW to be exact).

Now as I had mentioned so long ago, if there is any interest, an application for the Max will not be in the works for some time. Mainly due to the other stuff that I am involved in, as well as the preliminary testing that has to be done.

For any of you that are still interested, or want a peek at what I was mumbling about, you can go to this site for answers: www.aatap.bigstep.com

I am sure that this will be debated, pondered, dismissed and such, but in lieu of something better......

If you guys have any questions, flames, etc, please feel free to contact me. Probably wont be back here again for a while. Just wanted you to see the thing so you wont think it was all bs.

Old 01-21-2002, 08:50 AM

I'm going to sit down sometime in the next week and use my Desktop Dyno software I bought last summer, and put some data into it regarding cams. I've only used it for CC flow, compression calculations, etc.

Just off the top of my head, the new VQ35 cams are slightly more agressive than the VQ30 cams, I'm wondering what that will do on the VQ30 short block? What do these cost?

You can get cams made for $150 ea, but thats $600 for all 4 cams. I'm sure there is a duration that is better than stock on the VQ, you just gotta put all the data together to make it fit.

I'll post on what I figure out (if anything) when I get it.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:51 PM

Hey guys,

Old 01-23-2002, 06:18 AM

I can't take credit for the design. Just development of some automotive applications.

As for the issue fo carbon buildup, that does pose a good question for a car. However, there hasn't been much of an issue, at least in terms of the Harleys. The seat for a lack of better words, "floats", so there is some additional clearance. The seat does not rely on friction to control the movement. Movement is based on the pressure differential of intake tract, and cylinder, specifically, with exhaust in the periphery. Also since the burn is a bit cleaner, there is less carbon deposit on the combustion roof and floor. I wont lie to you and say that it will not be a problem because I do not know. I just don't see it being an issue of any significance at this time.

I haven't had a chance to review the results of engine teardowns, but from what I can tell, there hasn't been any noticable degradation of performance to the valves or the motors themselves.

The coating would not be a bad idea, but first it has to established that there would be a need for it.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:11 PM

I also forgot to mention, that the floating seat also has angled
flutes. The flutes help to rotate the seat as well as encourage swirl into the combustion chamber. This also helps clean the valve of carbon buildup.

While it is a good way off, could I get a rough idea of any folks that would be interested? the more folks that express an interest, the greater the possibility of kits being done. Like I mentioned before, it probably will not be a cheap affair, but the more demand there is, the better chance of getting them at a lower cost as well. Just thought I would throw that out there.

www.aatap.com
Old 01-27-2002, 10:27 PM

I also forgot to mention, that the floating seat also has angled
flutes. The flutes help to rotate the seat as well as encourage swirl into the combustion chamber. This also helps clean the valve of carbon buildup.

While it is a good way off, could I get a rough idea of any folks that would be interested? the more folks that express an interest, the greater the possibility of kits being done. Like I mentioned before, it probably will not be a cheap affair, but the more demand there is, the better chance of getting them at a lower cost as well. Just thought I would throw that out there.

www.aatap.com
You're right about it not being cheap, not just in parts but also in labor, but who cares, right? We don't spend thousands of dollars on our cars to NOT get the mods that are actually worth the money. I'm interested, for sure.
Old 01-27-2002, 10:51 PM

cheston told me awhile back someone in socal got custom cams for his VQ and it made a 40FWHP gain. the problem was that it didnt hold idle.
Old 01-28-2002, 04:58 AM

Originally posted by SithMax

You're right about it not being cheap, not just in parts but also in labor, but who cares, right? We don't spend thousands of dollars on our cars to NOT get the mods that are actually worth the money. I'm interested, for sure.
That is definitely true; we do tend to drop a chunk of money for stuff, and a lot of times, the mods don't work, or need additional parts to make it all work. This is the beauty of something like this. It doesn't really need any other mods for it to work good, but adding other stuff can make a whole setup work even better.
Old 01-30-2002, 04:49 AM

Originally posted by buss95max
cheston told me awhile back someone in socal got custom cams for his VQ and it made a 40FWHP gain. the problem was that it didnt hold idle.
Hopefully, if I can get to do the Maximas, that kind of problem
wont exist.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are there any updates on this? I viewed the website and the idea seems very interesting. Has further testing ever been done?
Old 07-27-2003, 02:12 PM

please just listen to Jeff, he is among the select few who have torn apart an engine(s). Trying to put variable valve timing in your car is in no way, shape or form worth it. If you want it that bad, go back to searching VQ35 or VE30 swaps.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by MrGone
please just listen to Jeff, he is among the select few who have torn apart an engine(s). Trying to put variable valve timing in your car is in no way, shape or form worth it. If you want it that bad, go back to searching VQ35 or VE30 swaps.
I have torn apart many engines as well. I am not trying to put variable valve timing in my car, I know it is impossible. I was referring to the posts by wrecked about the valves that they are testing that provide some type of variable flow. Follow the link in his post above and read about it.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:14 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Man this is an old thread!

If 4th Gen guys want some variable stuff to play with, just get the MEVI variable intake manifold. Gains of close to 30 fwhp at redline, and I think 5-7 fwhp peak. Turns a 4th Gen VQ into a top-end screamer.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by 96sleeper
Are there any updates on this? I viewed the website and the idea seems very interesting. Has further testing ever been done?
Quite a bit of testing has been going on, actually. Some slight variations in design are being experimented with to see if there are additional gains to be had. So far things look promising in terms of the design change experiments. But still no car production stuff as of yet. I don't expect anything for cars to be ready until next year. Off the bat, I expect production to start on the domestic big blocks, and then work will progress into the import markets.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:34 AM
wat

I have cams.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:45 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by look2me40
I have cams.
Yeah. They don't make much power in the trunk of your car though.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:46 AM
wat

Originally posted by SR20DEN

Yeah. They don't make much power in the trunk of your car though.

Old 07-28-2003, 10:47 AM
VQ Wizard

As far as variable cam designs go. BMW's valvetronic is by far the best and most advanced. Some of the 7 series cars don't even have throttle bodies. The entire throttle is controlled by the cam profiles.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by SR20DEN
As far as variable cam designs go. BMW's valvetronic is by far the best and most advanced. Some of the 7 series cars don't even have throttle bodies. The entire throttle is controlled by the cam profiles.
Whoah!!
Old 08-02-2003, 06:18 PM

At the '03 Tokyo Auto Salon, HKS had a new product called V-Cams or something. What they do is change cam timing, not the actual profiles. That would still be something beneficial for non VTC/CVTC Maximas.