General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How much does an auto to 5spd conversion cost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 06:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you've done this, what did it cost you for parts. Did you do the work yourself? If you had it done, what was the cost for the install?

Jim
Old 08-02-2001, 06:04 PM

cbr2 and hlh101(?) did this, and with a donor car, I believe it came to 1500 in parts. I could be wrong though.
Old 08-02-2001, 06:06 PM

I do not think there is a diffinative answer. It depends on the parts, I think I have seen est between 1000-2000, and also labor, it is very labor intensive, if you have some else install it you may pay as much for labor as parts, and this is with questionable results. So, somewhere in the wide range of 2000-4000. I have heard of only a few people attemting to do this, but many more are talking about trying, so there should some better info when more people attempt it.
Old 08-02-2001, 06:07 PM

try the search also, i have seen a lot on this topic in the last few weeks....
Old 08-02-2001, 06:10 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by JJW95SC
If you've done this, what did it cost you for parts. Did you do the work yourself? If you had it done, what was the cost for the install?

Jim
Bro, youve got your vb all upgraded, you've got a supercharger, why now, after all you've done to your auto, do you wanna switch to a manual ? You could rape a stock manual max, and tons of other manual cars (integra's, civics, ect.)

If I were you i'd save the thousands.
Old 08-02-2001, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Bro, youve got your vb all upgraded, you've got a supercharger, why now, after all you've done to your auto, do you wanna switch to a manual ? You could rape a stock manual max, and tons of other manual cars (integra's, civics, ect.)

Hehehe, I knew someone would ask this...it is a good question. The answer is, I'm not and if your read my original post carefully, I'm just asking how much is costs. If/when my 2nd tranny dies, I might consider a switch to a 5spd.

Jim
Old 08-02-2001, 06:35 PM

I could help you with that. Thanks again dude, feels GREAT!
Old 08-02-2001, 06:50 PM

I Actually have some info for you ! :)

Hehehe, I knew someone would ask this...it is a good question. The answer is, I'm not and if your read my original post carefully, I'm just asking how much is costs. If/when my 2nd tranny dies, I might consider a switch to a 5spd.

Jim
I seeeeeee. How many miles do you have on your car ?? My sister's 95 max was given to her by my dad, its an AUTO, its got 155k miles, and is still going strong. I have a 95 SE AUTO, only 54k miles, and its in perfect condition. Im amazed you've already gone through 1 tranny.

But, anyways, good Thread, Jim. If too for some very weird reason my tranny dies, I will too look into a manual. Anyways, heres the info. I went to AAA transmissions, and the guy their quoted me 800.00 for the labor

Good Minds think alike.
Old 08-02-2001, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
I could help you with that. Thanks again dude, feels GREAT!

Hey! Yea, enjoy the new VB. I'm glad I could help you out. I wonder how the L10 VB differs from Don's except for being about twice as much (I know you bought yours used).

It's the kind of mod you're REALLY glad you have when it's in. I was convinced when I drove JeffO's 98GXE and even with only an exhaust and CAI the difference was huge. It really connects the car to the road.

Jim
Old 08-02-2001, 07:17 PM

New VB Upgrade for 180.00

Hey! Yea, enjoy the new VB. I'm glad I could help you out. I wonder how the L10 VB differs from Don's except for being about twice as much (I know you bought yours used).

It's the kind of mod you're REALLY glad you have when it's in. I was convinced when I drove JeffO's 98GXE and even with only an exhaust and CAI the difference was huge. It really connects the car to the road.

Jim
When I was at this shop (AAA Transmissions) I told the guy about Don's VB Upgrade. He told me he could do the same upgrade for 180 bucks !!! And he says he uses materials from the finest company (dont remember the name) And its local, no shipping b.s.

I am going to stop down their tommorow and talk to him more about this!
Old 08-02-2001, 10:13 PM

Hey Craig Mack, where is this AAA shop?

Is that a chain? I am in Northern Virginia and if it's within a 300 miles radious, I think I'm gonna drive there to get this done sometime soon.
Old 08-03-2001, 12:20 AM

Jim

parts and install came out to a total of $2200 for me.
Old 08-03-2001, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by skimax

Hey man.. im gonna remember this post when my tranny goes! (and ill be lookin for a smaller pulley)
Old 08-03-2001, 02:10 PM

Re: I Actually have some info for you ! :)

I seeeeeee. How many miles do you have on your car ?? My sister's 95 max was given to her by my dad, its an AUTO, its got 155k miles, and is still going strong. I have a 95 SE AUTO, only 54k miles, and its in perfect condition. Im amazed you've already gone through 1 tranny.

But, anyways, good Thread, Jim. If too for some very weird reason my tranny dies, I will too look into a manual. Anyways, heres the info. I went to AAA transmissions, and the guy their quoted me 800.00 for the labor

Good Minds think alike.
He has a SC thats why his tranny goes.

JJW95SC: You should also consider getting a tranny cooler if you don't already have one. You can buy a hayden tranny cooler for under $50 and a few hours to install. It'd be worth it, especially since you have boost.
Old 08-03-2001, 03:38 PM

Re: Hey Craig Mack, where is this AAA shop?

Originally posted by hokiemax
Is that a chain? I am in Northern Virginia and if it's within a 300 miles radious, I think I'm gonna drive there to get this done sometime soon.
Hey man...I think it's a chain. Look/Ask around. Im sure you'll find it somewhere.

If this guy is tellin the truth (that I can get same Vb upgrade as Don'z, for 180) I'm definatally goin for it.

Too bad I just blew 1200 on 17x8 Konig Caffeines & Tires! ...damn they look good.
Old 08-03-2001, 05:07 PM

Re: Re: Hey Craig Mack, where is this AAA shop?

Hey man...I think it's a chain. Look/Ask around. Im sure you'll find it somewhere.

If this guy is tellin the truth (that I can get same Vb upgrade as Don'z, for 180) I'm definatally goin for it.

Too bad I just blew 1200 on 17x8 Konig Caffeines & Tires! ...damn they look good.
Lots of places can do VB upgrades, but Don's is specifically made for the Maxima. He tried a multitude of combinations before he found the perfect combination which is what he sells today.
My friend said that he could upgrade my VB, but he wouldn't be sure how good it comes out. He said it might take a few tries to get it right. This is why Don's is so popular, cause it's the perfect combo and he got it right!
Old 08-03-2001, 05:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Hey Craig Mack, where is this AAA shop?

Originally posted by breaux124

Lots of places can do VB upgrades, but Don's is specifically made for the Maxima. He tried a multitude of combinations before he found the perfect combination which is what he sells today.
My friend said that he could upgrade my VB, but he wouldn't be sure how good it comes out. He said it might take a few tries to get it right. This is why Don's is so popular, cause it's the perfect combo and he got it right!
Thats true. But, this guy @ AAA might just know alot about maxima's. Or he might have a manual of specific VB Upgrades for each car, and go by that. You never know. Thats why I plan to go down their and shower him with tons of questions.
Old 08-03-2001, 10:42 PM

How about the added hp? How about the added torque? How about the added reliability under a high hp situation? How about the added control? How about the added gas milage? (That's an added 5 miles per gallon, easy from what I've seen.) I mean, I'm not him and I don't know why he'd consider it personally but I plan on doing this next summer after I blow and those are the reasons why. Of course I have done NOTHING to my tranny (not even the 60,000 mile recommended tranny flush that should have been done 6000 miles ago... I do plan on getting it done next week though.) and decided if I'm going to drop at least a grand to try and keep the auto tranny (VB Mod, torque convertor, tranny cooler), why not spend more and be able to upgrade to a manual with some aftermarket parts (clutch, short throw shifter) and be able to boost even higher? So over all I figure I'll probably see an added 55 hp over a modified auto tranny, running a smaller pulley with less tranny power loss. $1500 (over the cost of the upgraded auto) for 55 hp? That sounds good to me... I dropped a grand on the y-pipe and catback and that probably gave me 10hp, so why the f*uck not?
Old 08-04-2001, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by skimax

You already did a 5-Speed conversion or was that just a price quote you got?
Old 08-04-2001, 01:40 AM

exactly how much is dons vb mod?
Old 08-04-2001, 07:57 AM

SithMax, he has a 5 speed now. Black, about 450, check www.mobiletek.net .
Old 08-04-2001, 11:29 AM

:confused:

Originally posted by medicsonic
SithMax, he has a 5 speed now. Black, about 450, check www.mobiletek.net .
Okay, now I'm confused. He has a different car which is a 5 speed? So where did that $1200 price come from? And what do you mean Black, about 450? I'm sure by black you mean his car but I don't get the 450 part. And what am I looking at on Don's site? please help!
Old 08-04-2001, 02:12 PM

450 is the cost od Don's vb upgrade
Old 08-04-2001, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by plrod Black 95 SE
450 is the cost od Don's vb upgrade
OH, I see! he was replying to Black's ? of how much is the VB... I'm stupid sorry... Just not my year is all.
Old 08-04-2001, 07:07 PM

Sorry about that, I tend to abbreviate peoples screennames. Yes, Skimax does ave a 5 speed, and Don's VB mod costs about 450.
Old 08-05-2001, 08:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SithMax

So over all I figure I'll probably see an added 55 hp over a modified auto tranny, running a smaller pulley with less tranny power loss. $1500 (over the cost of the upgraded auto) for 55 hp? That sounds good to me...

55hp???
Old 08-05-2001, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by SithMax

) and be able to boost even higher? So over all I figure I'll probably see an added 55 hp over a modified auto tranny, running a smaller pulley with less tranny power loss. $1500 (over the cost of the upgraded auto) for 55 hp? That sounds good to me... I dropped a grand on the y-pipe and catback and that probably gave me 10hp, so why the f*uck not?
What the...All the maxima base engines are identical, with the same amount of power, wether it be manual or auto tranny. The only reason EXPERIANCED manual drivers beat auto's is becuase they let the car stay in the gears longer, giving more power. But thats all.

Maybe you are talking about after markey mods that give all cars HP ?
Old 08-05-2001, 01:30 PM

For starters, NO autos always see slower times and will dyno less horsepower. Yes the base engine is 190hp across the board, but that's at the crank, not at the wheels. Typically from the trends I've seen the auto robs about 20% power and a 5-Speed about 15% power. An auto tranny relies completely on engine power and the tranny computer to change gears, while a manual is all physical and relies mostly on the driver. The auto therefore changes them slower and transfers less power to the wheels since it takes power from the engine just to work. When I told my friends about doing the conversion they tried to rain on my parade so I did some more research and wrote them this email:

For all you 5-Speed Conversion Dissenters...

Since I am an insomniac now, I've been doing lots (and lots) of number crunching, price searching, and power curve studying. I shall now present to you my findings. First, I've been looking into the power curves of stock maximas, both 5-speed and auto. With a crank hp of 190, the auto on average loses about 20% power to the wheels, which in and of itself is average for all automatic transmissions. So it's not the best tranny, blame Nissan. On average the 5-speed loses about 15% power, which isn't all too great, falling about average yet again. So I decided to figure out, generally, what my hp would be with a fully modified automatic and a fully modified 5-speed and what the price difference would be with the conversion. All these numbers are estimates based on the actual gains shown by dynos of real cars.
Auto
190 (base)
80 (supercharger)
20 (full exhaust with race pipe)*
15 (lightened underdrive pulley)*
- 18% (power loss with high stall torque convertor)
253 front wheel horse power

5-Speed
190 (base)
100 (supercharger boosting higher than stock, since tranny can handle higher power transfer)
20 (full exhaust with race pipe)*
15 (lightened underdrive pulley)*
25 (lightened flywheel)*
- 12% (power loss with Clutchmaster Stage III Clutch Kit and lightened flywheel)
308 front wheel horse power giving me an additional 55 hp and even greater torque gains over the automatic
Now the question becomes: How much does it cost?
Well the fully modified Automatic would cost an additional $1100 for the high stall torque convertor (to increase power transfer), the modified valve body (to increase life of the tranny and give firmer shifts, ie. no power gains), and a transmission cooler (to increase life of the tranny, ie. no power gains except to help recover any ADDITIONAL power loss besides the 20% due to overheating.)
So what about the 5-Speed you ask? Well, going all out with real high performance parts gets a little pricy. A $500 clutch, a $550 lightened flywheel, a $125 short throw shifter, the transmission itself, and all the other parts could wind up in the $2500 range. Ouch. It could be done for much less, but not done the way it would need to be for the kind of power I want.
But what does that actually mean? It means that since it almost costs the same to upgrade either transmission, the only real ADDITIONAL cost to me, is the total cost minus the upgrade cost, which turns out to be ~$1400. 55hp for $1400 (minus the funds from selling any of my automatic parts off, however much it winds up being). On my car that's pretty damn good. And along with added enjoyment of the vehicle, it makes it well worth the extra cash in my eyes.

* - these numbers may appear a little high, this is because coupled with forced induction you see more gains.
Old 08-05-2001, 01:50 PM

SKIMAX

Do you live in the Los Angeles area? For your conversion to manual did you use some aftermarket parts or all genuine parts... Seems pretty cheep for genuine parts... Did you go to a junk yard to get some of our stuff?
Old 08-05-2001, 04:10 PM

What the...All the maxima base engines are identical, with the same amount of power, wether it be manual or auto tranny. The only reason EXPERIANCED manual drivers beat auto's is becuase they let the car stay in the gears longer, giving more power. But thats all.

Maybe you are talking about after markey mods that give all cars HP ?
Oh, and one more thing: The auto shifts at 6000 rpm (at WOT) and the Max redlines at 6500 rpm. Ask around and you won't find too many manual drivers who shift at or past redline, which is what would be required to "let the car stay in the gears longer" A few I've heard going to 6200 or 6300 but they had shiftlights to help them make sure they didn't over rev it.