General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Extrude Honed intake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 07:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How much HP whould I expect from having this done? Has anyone bought the one Stillen sells for $600? Rumor has it you get 10 HP? Does anyone have dyno info on this? Thanks a bunch!

200FWHP still in the making It will probably never happen NA though.
Old 08-10-2001, 10:06 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

So you're at it again

Like all the others I gotta give you credit for trying the headers, with so low gains. Whenever I read your post with before and after dyno results I always wondered if you have a auto or 5spd. It wasn't until today when I noticed your sig says 5spd. Damn, those are low numbers for a 5spd with all your usual intake/exhaust mods. I'm only 8fwhp and 9fwtq lower than your headers results and I have a auto. Something gotta be wrong as you mentioned tune-up. The last dyno meet I went to there was a N/A 4th gen 5spd pulling 190fwhp.

Anyway

The reason I replied to your thread because of your interest in Ext Hone. Just like yourself I've always wondered the same thing since I have a spare intake plenum and manifold laying around. Many have posted there will be minimum gains when compared to the price, which you now realize. I guess those Nissan engineers designed a pretty good flowing exhaust and intake manifolds. From looking at the inside of my spare manifolds, it looks damn good. I'm no technical engineer but there seems to be little to no burrs from the casting process on the inside of the manifolds. Some have suggested just manually enlarging and matching the ports which can be done alot cheaper with about the same gains. Most speed shops can probably do this process but it helps if they have a flow testing machine so not to enlarge the ports too much. Good luck in whichever route you decide to take. You have definately helped many, including myself. Later
Old 08-11-2001, 10:10 AM

I know of some who've seen 2-3 hp (upper and lowers done), thats not enough to warrant the $800-1000 to do it thats for sure. Maybe a little more on S/C'd car.

Don
Old 08-11-2001, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Don in Texas
I know of some who've seen 2-3 hp (upper and lowers done), thats not enough to warrant the $800-1000 to do it thats for sure. Maybe a little more on S/C'd car.

Don
Uh, Don? What's up with the Sig Pic?
Old 08-11-2001, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by SithMax

Uh, Don? What's up with the Sig Pic?
Old 08-11-2001, 12:08 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: So you're at it again

Originally posted by CandiMan
Like all the others I gotta give you credit for trying the headers, with so low gains. Whenever I read your post with before and after dyno results I always wondered if you have a auto or 5spd. It wasn't until today when I noticed your sig says 5spd. Damn, those are low numbers for a 5spd with all your usual intake/exhaust mods. I'm only 8fwhp and 9fwtq lower than your headers results and I have a auto. Something gotta be wrong as you mentioned tune-up. The last dyno meet I went to there was a N/A 4th gen 5spd pulling 190fwhp.

190fwhp on a NA 4th gen is very unusual. Most of all 4th gen 5 speeds with NA mods and in good tune make about 175-180fwhp. I really doubt there are some factory freak VQs out there because the finishing process of the VQ is near race spec. One has to remember that ALL dynos read differently. The dyno is used to guage the gains/losses of mods. You can't compare Joe Blows numbers in New York with Joe Blows numbers in LA. Different dynos, different numbers.

Dave
Old 08-11-2001, 03:37 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Re: Re: So you're at it again

Originally posted by Dave B
190fwhp on a NA 4th gen is very unusual. Most of all 4th gen 5 speeds with NA mods and in good tune make about 175-180fwhp. I really doubt there are some factory freak VQs out there because the finishing process of the VQ is near race spec. One has to remember that ALL dynos read differently. The dyno is used to guage the gains/losses of mods. You can't compare Joe Blows numbers in New York with Joe Blows numbers in LA. Different dynos, different numbers.Dave
I hear what your saying about different dynos and cities but I think I remember what I saw, and it was corrected numbers. His screen name was/is MaddMax since he hasn't posted in a long time, and this was almost 2yrs ago at he Mustang Ranch in Cali Bay area for anyone else who might have been there. Maybe Brian W. can remember since he organized the meet.