General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How fast are Integra Type R's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 08:31 AM

I see one up at my school everyday and I don't think that he is a ricer. I am not sure if he is a racer either but aren't they ususally? Anyway, I'm going to start shooting the bull with him and see if we can get into an offramp race one afternoon after school. What kind of competition are these (or to SC'ed Maxima's)?
Old 08-17-2001, 08:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

To a supcharged Max, they are no competition, To a normal Max, they will put up a pretty good fight. Just my experiences.
Old 08-17-2001, 08:38 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Stock...high 14s.
Mildly moded. Mid 14s
Turbo high 13s

How fast is your auto SC max? low 14s? mid 14s?
Old 08-17-2001, 08:41 AM

Never raced mine before

Always poor weather or something else is happening on Friday nights to keep me away from the track. He could be going for that "sleeper" look though. I parked right next to him so I am sure I'll see him on the way out.
Old 08-17-2001, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Not so fast Mike.. Justin has a SC Auto..

Type R's run low 15's with an average driver.. high 14's with a good driver.. see you got to redline them to get performance...

they handle perfectly for a FWD car.. so don't race him in twisties...

its hard to say too.. if i were you i would make sure i manual shift so i get the best out of my RPM ranges.. because if he redlines he has his VTEC on your ***

now if he is modified.. he could be low 14's.. if he is Turbo'd or SC'ed.. forget about it.. i have a friend here in CT who has a Supercharged Type R with 10 PSI of boost.. that thing is insane.. and he has NO exterior modifications.. not even the bumper lights are clear.. and his boost gauges are the new ones that go infront of the ODO.. to make it worse.. he has stock wheels and a GSR spoiler.. no Type R badges.. his car is the ultimate sleeper...
Old 08-17-2001, 08:48 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SprintMax
Not so fast Mike.. Justin has a SC Auto..

i have a friend here in CT who has a Supercharged Type R with 10 PSI of boost.. that thing is insane.. and he has NO exterior modifications.. not even the bumper lights are clear.. and his boost gauges are the new ones that go infront of the ODO.. to make it worse.. he has stock wheels and a GSR spoiler.. no Type R badges.. his car is the ultimate sleeper...
That's just plain sick! I want one.
Old 08-17-2001, 08:49 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

its hard to say too.. if i were you i would make sure i manual shift so i get the best out of my RPM ranges.. because if he redlines he has his VTEC on your ***

now if he is modified.. he could be low 14's.. if he is Turbo'd or SC'ed.. forget about it.. i have a friend here in CT who has a Supercharged Type R with 10 PSI of boost.. that thing is insane.. and he has NO exterior modifications.. not even the bumper lights are clear.. and his boost gauges are the new ones that go infront of the ODO.. to make it worse.. he has stock wheels and a GSR spoiler.. no Type R badges.. his car is the ultimate sleeper...
New moderator rule:

Complements of Hondas, ESPECIALLY VTEC, are not allowed.

We want everyone to think that the VQ is God's gift to engines. IT'S THE BEST.

Old 08-17-2001, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Old 08-17-2001, 09:09 AM

I love that smiley. BTW, I'm PMing SteVTEC this right now.
Old 08-17-2001, 10:16 AM

Type R Integra is about 6.5 to 60, 5-speed stock max will give it a good run
Old 08-17-2001, 03:11 PM
Father of the 00 VI

stock for stock,equel drivers ,type r will win.It's hp to weight ratio is exellent.The worst time yet iv'e seen as follows.
2000 typeR
195hp
0-60 6.2 14.8@96.3 MT

Ive seen 6.1 14.5 SCC
ALL STOCK
Old 08-17-2001, 07:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by jgadlage
I see one up at my school everyday and I don't think that he is a ricer. I am not sure if he is a racer either but aren't they ususally? Anyway, I'm going to start shooting the bull with him and see if we can get into an offramp race one afternoon after school. What kind of competition are these (or to SC'ed Maxima's)?
Are you runnning on the stock pulley? In the hands of a good driver, even a stock Type R can be quite a challenge for a supercharged auto Maxima. A supercharged 5spd Maxima shouldn't have a problem with a stock or modified Type R. Type R's are deceptively fast. However, I remember you having a VB upgrade, so that might help a bit. Just race him and see! I think you should able to take him though if he's stock. One suggestion: get a smaller pulley!
Old 08-17-2001, 07:55 PM

I remember reading that Car & Driver drove the Type R at 15.16, that may help you.
Old 08-17-2001, 09:45 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

HA...I've seen one better!!!!

at Capitol Raceway(MD) last summer...green Integra, on the outside, bone stock look other than springs and exhaust, stock rims and spoiler, no tint and he had all his gauges and gadgets(AFC, AVCR, etc.) tucked out of plain sight...he rolls up the staging lane and lines up with a Supra...the Supra guy and his boys talk their "usual" ****....but when the green light hits......about 10 seconds later the Integra was getting his timeslip and going home! after seeing that I was stunned.....the Supra guy was blown, the Integ literally left him back at the start line! now thats a sleeper, plus he drove it there, so as far as I know its 10 second STREET CAR...truly a scary sleeper!!!
Old 08-17-2001, 11:04 PM
Disco Biscuit

BWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 08-18-2001, 05:02 AM
Lyt97SC

*warning from a fellow maxima owner with plenty of experiences with ITR's*: a Type-R with mild mods can *EASILY* run 13s. a friend of mine has a yellow ITR with skunk2 racing ECU and Intake and headers (stock exhaust). he was running high 13s all day long a couple weeks ago. with mild head work and slicks (not to mention good tuning and driver) they can hit 12s all motor with ease. a race team up here in norcal has their Type-R running 12.5's all motor with not much work done to it. ive handed many Type-R's their asses, but i gotta give them their respect where its due. those are awesome cars with HUGE potential (not to mention a light chassis). good luck

Old 08-18-2001, 06:39 AM

Running with stock pulley only b/c

I don't have a clue on how to better prepare my car with a smaller pulley, and I don't know what the best size pulley would be to get 10lbs of boost. What do you have to do when your SC is running 10lbs of boost? upgrade to 300ZTT injectors, send off your ECU to JWT, etc???

These questions have been asked by a lot of people and it seems that he issue is mostly sidestep or not addressed at all. I don't have a clue how to prepare my Maxima to safely handle those kind of boost levels, but I do have some plans on how to really build up my SC to make it run like mad!.

I was thinking the same idea as what I30Krab has (minus the intercooler, I just don't think that even at 10lbs it will be need to be intercooled). This is just a hunch but I need to do some testing to find out what the temp of the air coming out the the SC is. From there I would need to make a guess at whether or not doubling the boost from its stock pulley settings would significantly increase the temperatures enough to warrant putting in an intercooler to loose some boost pressure but gain density. I have tried to ask I30Krab and have gotten no response from him.

I am about to graduate and get married in a couple months so modifications are going to have to be put on the back burner in the meantime. Otherwise, I can always plan on what to do next with my setup.

Originally posted by Cumalot

Are you runnning on the stock pulley? In the hands of a good driver, even a stock Type R can be quite a challenge for a supercharged auto Maxima. A supercharged 5spd Maxima shouldn't have a problem with a stock or modified Type R. Type R's are deceptively fast. However, I remember you having a VB upgrade, so that might help a bit. Just race him and see! I think you should able to take him though if he's stock. One suggestion: get a smaller pulley!
Old 08-18-2001, 07:36 AM

Re: Running with stock pulley only b/c

Originally posted by jgadlage
I don't have a clue on how to better prepare my car with a smaller pulley, and I don't know what the best size pulley would be to get 10lbs of boost. What do you have to do when your SC is running 10lbs of boost? upgrade to 300ZTT injectors, send off your ECU to JWT, etc???

These questions have been asked by a lot of people and it seems that he issue is mostly sidestep or not addressed at all. I don't have a clue how to prepare my Maxima to safely handle those kind of boost levels, but I do have some plans on how to really build up my SC to make it run like mad!.

I was thinking the same idea as what I30Krab has (minus the intercooler, I just don't think that even at 10lbs it will be need to be intercooled). This is just a hunch but I need to do some testing to find out what the temp of the air coming out the the SC is. From there I would need to make a guess at whether or not doubling the boost from its stock pulley settings would significantly increase the temperatures enough to warrant putting in an intercooler to loose some boost pressure but gain density. I have tried to ask I30Krab and have gotten no response from him.

Hey man I'm with you on increasing my boost but I'm still a little reluctant. I'm running the stock pulley right now and it runs great. Have you tried the Protorque T.C. on your car? It really helps with the launches. I'm planning on getting the ERL Aquamist intake cooler in a couple of weeks and I'll let you know what kind of HP gains I see. If they are substantial enough maybe we won't have to upgrade to a smaller pulley. Compressing the air as is the case with our SCers really heats it up but as to how much I'm not quite sure. Any type of cooler whether it be an intercooler or an intake cooler (especially on that cools the air by some 70-80 degrees F) will definitely help on the performance side. Yesterday I went by my shop and bought 5 gallons of 110 octane racing gas (unleaded) and OH MAN that made a noticeable difference in my power output. Unfortunatley it rained last night so I couldn't go trolling for races. The stuff is also quite expensive $7.32/gallon but the guys at my shop cut me a deal and give it to me for $6.5/gallon. This stuff could become VERY addicting to me. I'm going to try and look for some races tonight. Later
Old 08-18-2001, 07:58 AM

Taken care of my car

It is the poor mans way at reducing weight on his car. It's not an accident it is a modification! I didn't see him at his car after school so maybe next week we'll bump into each other (hopefully it won't be my fault- save more weight WOOHOO!) =D

I was thinking about sending the SC back to have it upgraded to V2 specs along with a better idler pulley (since I know that they are a weak link to the V2). That and having the internals modified to get the boost to come on at a lower RPM range. Other than that I was thinking of doing an intercooler(why not push 10lbs of boost and then intercool it to get some decent boost numbers with dense air?) and having a Nitrous injection bar on it to cool the air further. THEN go to an Aquamist water injection kit and cool the air down further. FINALLY I could go to an Aftercooler setup from Vortech but I do see some problems. Maybe that would just be too extreme (as the ice chilled water in the aftercooler would heat up after a while and might not help after everything else the intake air goes through- Intercooler with NOS, and an aquamist system. If I am going to do something in the future it will be b/t 2 choices:

Choice 1:
Upgrade V1 to V2 specs
Upgrade internals of SC to bring boost on sooner
Smaller pulley to get 10lbs of boost
Aqumist water injection kit
Aftercooler kit from Vortech

(this way I would get the full boost and let the water injection kit cool down the superheated air a bit to give me more densely packed intake air. From then the Aftercooler would bring down the temps further. Problem is that I would need some sort of heat shield to prevent the Aftercooler from getting heated from the engine compartment (header wrap it?) Also the ice/water combination in the Aftercooler would start to loose it's efficiency (ice would melt and water would get heated. Have to constantly monitor the temp of the ice/water container in the trunk. Either that or use a dry ice/water mixture! =) Although that might be to wild though. Hmmmm...... Might lead me to a 3rd choice here.......)

Choice 2:
Upgrade V1 to V2 specs
Upgrade internals of SC to bring boost on sooner
Smaller pulley to get 10lbs of boost
Intercooler with NOS injection bars
Aquamist water injection kit

(I could let the intercooler bring down the temperature of the incoming intake air along with the NOS injection in the bar setup across the intercooler. From there the aquamist could bring down the temp further. I don't know how much more the temp could be brought down by an Aftercooler b/c of point mentioned above))

I don't know there is a lot of different setups and testing to do and I don't have the money to do it.)

Where are you I30KRAB? What is going on with your setup?

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
Justin, I know your car is fast, and you've always taken care of it, even though you've had brushes with deer, and a pick up. I'm pretty sure you'll take em down.
-