General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Various ways to reduce ~wind noise~

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001, 03:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've done my sound deadening project, and I'm not satisfied with the amount of wind that I hear on the freeway, from about 60mph+. The 5th Gen that we rented, 2001, wasn't too quiet either.

Are there any effective ways to reduce the noise? Would wind deflectors work well? Or some foam weatherstrip? (I already added a layer.

Anyway, thanks everyone.
Old 08-25-2001, 04:33 AM

get i30 windows.. they are a bit thicker than ours.. (5th gen) or so i was told.. i want themz bullet proof windows, or at least windows like the s-class. dual payne
Old 08-25-2001, 07:45 AM

really easy

to avoid wind noice..just crank up your system and you wont hear nothing. it really helps.....
Old 08-25-2001, 10:32 AM

Re: really easy

Originally posted by 1Phat Max
to avoid wind noice..just crank up your system and you wont hear nothing. it really helps.....

dats my solution, too!
Old 08-25-2001, 01:17 PM

hahah I know I can blast the system but sometimes, I just want some peace and quiet. With some slow songs playing hehe

Every time I'm on the freeway I try to find out where the wind is coming from. I think it's at the top of the A pillar, but I'm not sure.
Old 08-25-2001, 01:37 PM

Are you sure it's wind noise and not road noise? Do you only hear the noise when you are on the freeway? Is the freeway where you live concrete? Concrete roads make a lot of noise
Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
hahah I know I can blast the system but sometimes, I just want some peace and quiet. With some slow songs playing hehe

Every time I'm on the freeway I try to find out where the wind is coming from. I think it's at the top of the A pillar, but I'm not sure.
Old 08-25-2001, 01:40 PM

I'm sure it's wind noise. I notice the difference of wind noise and road noise. I have Pontenza RE730s, great racing/performance tires, but they're a little loud. I'll be sure to get different ones when the time comes.
Old 08-25-2001, 01:41 PM

I gotta go with the system solution .. If it wasn't for that, my exhaust piping setup would drive me insane after afew days. Loud music = best solution for driving noise.
Old 08-25-2001, 03:43 PM

wind

there's definitely a problem with mine.

i mean, the dynamat helped but i get some slight wind noise behind the b-pillar. I dont know what to do about it.

the drag about cranking the stereo is it's a bit dangerous actually... the other day i had mine cranked and was approaching an intersection.. I had a green light but a cop was (with full lights and siren) approaching the intersection against a red light. He was being somewhat cautious but also playing cowboy a little bit too. Once i turned down my stereo I could hear his siren like crazy.. complete with all the little special intersection sounds...

I have to give him credit -- he saw me before I saw him. I eventually stopped and yielded to him, but it coulda been nasty.
Old 08-25-2001, 03:57 PM

yeah, I'm pretty sure the wind noise has something to do with the gap that travels from the area of the a pillar to the b pillar.

I'm guessing BMW and Benz don't have this problem, I want to try to research on how they placed whether-stripping (or anything else) to cut off wind noise.

If anyone has a late model luxury car, please take a look at the areas I'm referring to.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 08-25-2001, 04:11 PM

yeah, I'm pretty sure the wind noise has something to do with the gap that travels from the area of the a pillar to the b pillar.

I'm guessing BMW and Benz don't have this problem, I want to try to research on how they placed whether-stripping (or anything else) to cut off wind noise.

If anyone has a late model luxury car, please take a look at the areas I'm referring to.

Thanks for everyone's help.

i'm a bit curious what would happen if I had the time and energy to take the inside of the b-pillar and a-pillar areas apart and put dynamat or something in them.. but I doubt i'll ever do it unless someone else does it and tells me how much a$$ it kix
Old 08-25-2001, 05:04 PM

may i suggest rolling your windows up
Old 08-25-2001, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by black019
may i suggest rolling your windows up
haha, funny

I was thinking about putting dynamat on when I had my whole interior gutted, but I realized that it wasn't really going to do much with wind noise anyway. And those pieces luckily don't vibrate when I play music.
Old 08-26-2001, 01:00 AM

try having someone tape up the seams of the doors and all the other cracks and take it on the highway.
Old 08-26-2001, 12:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Nismo
try having someone tape up the seams of the doors and all the other cracks and take it on the highway.
I did my entire car and must admit that putting two layers of dynamat in my doors made the biggest difference ever. I put it on the very outer metal part from the inside of the door. I did two layers in the front and one in the rear. Car is a lot quieter now. I will also do the roof and wheel wells pretty soon.

All the pics and the info is on my homepage which is linked in my profile.

Anton
Old 08-26-2001, 12:54 PM

Anton, it's me Chris, lol

I replicated your sound deadening project also. I did exactly what your did, only with RAMMmat

thanks for your help though.
Old 08-26-2001, 01:16 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Anton, it's me Chris, lol

I replicated your sound deadening project also. I did exactly what your did, only with RAMMmat

thanks for your help though.
Hey, if you have any spare rammat or dynomat or any type of insulation left over, i'd much appriciate if you sent it my way.

I have 2 12.1 Perfects in my trunk powered by an Audiobahn 2200HCX High Current Amp. I've only sprayed expanding foam inside the grey padding, and it still is horrible.

I read your post a while ago and have seen your Sig, so I know your an audiophile.

So if you have any scraps that you don't mind givin away gimme a holla. CraigMack02@hotmail.com

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2001, 03:22 PM

Has anyone use the undercoat stuff on the wheelwells.I have thought about doing this and see if helps with the noise but have not done it yet and does it do any good?thanks
Old 08-26-2001, 04:58 PM

Shane,

If you look in my sig, you'll see my sound deadening included rubberized undercoating on the wheel wells. I think it mades only a small difference, but I still recommend doing it.

I don't hear those annyoing little rocks and pebbles as much anymore, and, the car looks really good with deep black wheel wells. It covers up my 4x4 gap pretty well
Old 08-26-2001, 05:05 PM

Shane,

If you look in my sig, you'll see my sound deadening included rubberized undercoating on the wheel wells. I think it mades only a small difference, but I still recommend doing it.

I don't hear those annyoing little rocks and pebbles as much anymore, and, the car looks really good with deep black wheel wells. It covers up my 4x4 gap pretty well
Old 08-26-2001, 05:10 PM

Go to Elite Car Audio, and go to the search function in the forums.

Search "donate RAAMmat", and you'll see my thread come up

I got so desperate that I wanted people to send little pieces in envelopes. (I was almost done with my install

But Craig,

You can't stop rattles in the trunk with a few "scraps" hehe. You need to buy a roll, probably 2, because you're moving so much air in that trunk.

I can send you some sample though, if you want.

I have about 2/3 of a roll left, and lots of heat shield insulation scraps.
Old 08-26-2001, 05:31 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Go to Elite Car Audio, and go to the search function in the forums.

Search "donate RAAMmat", and you'll see my thread come up

I got so desperate that I wanted people to send little pieces in envelopes. (I was almost done with my install

But Craig,

You can't stop rattles in the trunk with a few "scraps" hehe. You need to buy a roll, probably 2, because you're moving so much air in that trunk.

I can send you some sample though, if you want.

I have about 2/3 of a roll left, and lots of heat shield insulation scraps.

Thanks bro, Hey it'll be 2/3rds more insulation that I had before ! I'll go to that website, too.

I went down to a local audio store, "Audio Extreme" and they told me 500 bucks to dynomat the whole trunk !! That was rediculous especially when their selling the Deluxe rolls for 50 bucks a peice. And 400 bucks to do the doors. I said forget it i'll take the friggen doors off myself.

But anyways thanks, I'll email you about it.
Old 08-26-2001, 08:41 PM

Craig,

e-mail Rick (raam@raamaudio.com). Tell him I sent you (Chris). He'll give you a good deal on 50 sq. ft. I'm sure you won't be disappoined.

And now back to the topic, does anyone know where the wind travels to create so much noise? I'm sure the it's the gap in between the car and the door, but I don't know why I can hear air "whishing" by so much.
Old 08-26-2001, 09:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I see you sprayed your wheel wells. How much difference did that make? Thanks
Old 08-26-2001, 09:39 PM

Anton,

Spraying the wheel wells didn't make any drastic difference. It was really hard to tell anyway, because my tires are pretty noisy. I've noticed though, I don't hear any more pebbles hitting the wheel wells anymore (did I say that already?), and the car definately looks better.

Anway, how's your car going? Anything new?
Old 02-16-2002, 04:03 AM

Re: 909

Originally posted by MaineI30

i'm a bit curious what would happen if I had the time and energy to take the inside of the b-pillar and a-pillar areas apart and put dynamat or something in them.. but I doubt i'll ever do it unless someone else does it and tells me how much a$$ it kix
what is the b-pillar??
Old 02-16-2002, 01:20 PM

Hm, can't really believe that this thread was dug up from the grave.

The A pillar is the slanted beam that goes from either side of the hood, to the roof of your car. B pillars the the middle ones, where your seat belts are. C pillars go from the top of the roof down to where your rear deck is.

And BTW, I'm still looking for ways to reduce wind noise. But I realized a lot of the noise is coming from my tires. I wish I could get new ones but I have no $$. These will have to do for now.