General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Kuhmo vs Nitto (very long) ---->

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2001, 06:35 PM

Hey there folks, just a little comparison I did on my own between the two tires. Both were tested at Willow Springs Big Track under similar conditions. Each set of tires were tested with 4 sessions, 20 minutes each and about an hour inbetween sessions. Lap times are roughly 1 minute 50 seconds.

Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712:
Size: 225/50/16
Speed Rating: Z
Temp at Track: 101 (this is not the track temp)

The first two laps of the first session were dedicated to warming up the tires. Before the tires were at temp, they were loud in corners and a bit slippery, but it was expected. After the tires reached optimum temperature, they handled very well for the rest of the first session with minimal slide, although the tires were very loud during heavy cornering.

The second session, the tires started at temperature which allowed full speed on the first lap. After the first 3 laps, the tires became gooey (super heated) and began loosing adhesion. Although they were not handling at their best, the sliding from the tires for the remainder of the second session remained predictable and controllable.

The third session, the tires had a chance to cool down and I left the pits with them at temperature once again, but it only took about 30 seconds or so (after turn 3 for those that know the track) to become super heated. They were still controllable, but I didn't expect to put any fastest lap times with the tires in this condition. They remained this way for the remainder of the session, but didn't get any worse, which was very surprising.

The fourth session was cut short because the tires were just not acting like they should as soon as I left the pits. They were slipping and sliding all over the place, almost creating a dangerous condition.

Nitto 555 ZR:
Size: 245/40/18
Speed Rating: Z
Temp at Track: 106

First couple laps were dedicated to warming the tires up. They reached temperature much quicker than the Kuhmos. At temperature, the Nitto's handled like a dream, almost like a set of race tires. However, after 2 laps of the tires at temperature, they quickly super heated the last lap of the first session.

Second session started out at temperature, but only for 1 lap. When the Nitto's became super heated, they were just plain dangerous. It was barely controllable and not worth the risk of pushing any further.

Third and fourth sessions I took slowly because of the conditions of the tires.

Overview:
As you can see of the different tire sizes, the Nitto's should have an advantage being 20 mm wider, but also had a disadvantage because the day I ran with them, it was 5 degrees hotter at the track. Both tires were subjected to extreme chuncking and extreme treadwear (expected). My final note is that Nitto's for my 18's are about $80-90 more each and aren't worth the money at all. I have also taken road race competition tires (Toyo RA-1's) and they of course are nothing close to them. Sorry for the long and babbling post, but I just thought some people might like a comparison under extreme conditions.
Old 08-28-2001, 06:40 PM
Administrator

i own both
Old 08-28-2001, 06:58 PM

your detailed explanation of what happened to both tires was great...but i can't take this comparison to heart b/c they are of two different sizes, rim size, aspect ratios are different, and the temperatures were different too. Good comparisons, the variables were not horrible, but could have been better. But great job on the comparison.
Old 08-28-2001, 08:52 PM

my statistics teacher would be all over you for all the "confounding variables" i just bougt some nitto 555s but they wont be put to the extreme
Old 08-28-2001, 09:24 PM

i have kumohs..thanks for the info maxedbandit!!
Old 08-28-2001, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by RedMax95
my statistics teacher would be all over you for all the "confounding variables" i just bougt some nitto 555s but they wont be put to the extreme
Yeah, I realize it's kinda comparing two completely different things, but when I bought the Kuhmos for my stocks, my Nittos were still in almost brand new condition, so I didn't see a point in buying 18" Kuhmos.