General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

test drove 2k2 alty & max, NICE!!!....

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 02:07 PM

on my way home from school today i stopped off at the nissan dealership, and the first thing i saw was a 2k2 alty next to a 2k2 max(actually there were 2 max's, a se and a gle)

max se: i decided to take the se for a spin, and boy was it nice. it had memory seats, 6 disc in dash bose, leather, sunroof, a lot of options, no nav system. sticker was $29.7k. some small things that i noticed were the interior door handles are now aluminum, they look nice. and the front cup holder cover has an aluminum button that you press to open the cover, also nice. the ride was smooth and to me, the engine seemed to have a lot of *****! the dealership is next to the service road, i went out on the service road, stopped, and the then hit the gas, rpm's flew up and the car started moving from side to side, seemed to have a lot of power. the car is worth taking a look at, maybe not worth trading in for, but if you need a new car, then this one is worth it. the gle was $29k sticker, basically didn't have the spoiler. also, the fogs look bigger, i dont know though.

alty 2.5s(or is it 2.8s??: it was the 4cyl, but it was nice. recently i test drove a lot of 4 cyls cause i need to get another car, but none were like this. the car was bigger than the max, but not that noticible. it wasn't loaded, it was like a max gxe w/ c&c package. had the basic features, power seat, airbags, keyless entry, cd player, cloth seats, etc. the car was very smooth riding, i liked that a lot, way smoother than my gxe! the car had great pickup, considering that its so big. only thing i didn't like were the brakes, you have to push them harder to stop the car, not that assuring when you need to make a quick stop. other than that, the car was awesome, price was $21k.

i just thought i would share this info with you guys, even though most of you already know this stuff.
Old 08-30-2001, 02:23 PM
is invisible

Nice writeup...

I'm interested in more impressions about he 4-cyl Alty, esp power (compared to other 4-cyls, V6s)...my dad is deciding his next leased car and he's leaning towards the Alty. His other choice is the Camry...he's leasing a '98 which has been great to us.
Old 08-30-2001, 02:58 PM

Re: Nice writeup...

Originally posted by CoolMax
I'm interested in more impressions about he 4-cyl Alty, esp power (compared to other 4-cyls, V6s)...my dad is deciding his next leased car and he's leaning towards the Alty. His other choice is the Camry...he's leasing a '98 which has been great to us.
well compared to other 4 cyls, the 4 cyl alty seems to have more power, although the 150hp accord 4 cyl is very good to. the others that i drove were the camry, galant, older alty, and a eclipse. the new alty is very nice, good size, and good power through the 4 cyl, but dont take my word for it, test drive one, trust me, you should like it.

does any1 know if there is an even cheaper 2k2 alty? the one i tested was $21k, i'm wondering if there is a cheaper one, like around $18k, cause if there is, my dad my get me one, he came across some extra funds(business is doing good this month) so if there is a cheaper alty, i might be able to deal it down and get a good price for one.
Old 08-30-2001, 04:09 PM

kinda weird

Originally posted by slick
on my way home from school today i stopped off at the nissan dealership, and the first thing i saw was a 2k2 alty next to a 2k2 max(actually there were 2 max's, a se and a gle)

max se: i decided to take the se for a spin, and boy was it nice. it had memory seats, 6 disc in dash bose, leather, sunroof, a lot of options, no nav system. sticker was $29.7k.
Reminds me of when the euro car makers got aggressive and gave new owners far more than the previous ones, like the Jaguar. Not only did the price go down, but it got a V8 instead of I6 one year. Doesn't this Maxima kinda burn anyone that bought a 2000-2001? Same price, more hp, more features. Unfortunately same look albeit slightly revised. Back looks as ugly as ever before. Too bad they just couldn't squeeze enough out of the 3.5 to beat Acura's Type S. And the beam axle is an absolute disgrace. Good thing Alty is multilinked. Place your bets on Altima!!
Old 08-30-2001, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the info!

I'm more interested in how the Altima handled?? Any opinions on that? Also did you find it more fun to drive than the Maxima?
Old 08-30-2001, 07:43 PM

i test drove the 02 max today too and i also felt the pull to the side when i stomped on it... you really gotta hold the wheel because it will pull you... also the fogs are different they are glass on the 02 thats what looked different