General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

NOS info for the masses

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 01:11 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Re: NOS question

I mounted my bottle in the back left corner of the trunk. There is a rubber plug there you can pull out to run your NOS line from the trunk under the car. I mounted my line next to the other lines, using the brush guard and zip ties to hold it in place. You can get a Guage pod for the maxima for like $20, and I mounted my switches in empty spaces, since I have a GXE, others have put them below the shifter. Good luck.

Originally posted by 98sterlingmist
For everyone running NOS, do you have any advise on where in the trunk to install the bottle and plumb the hoses.
How about some advise how and whereto's to place gauges and switches for accessability and ease of install.
Old 09-10-2001, 03:02 PM

ZEX Nitrous Kit for Maxima

I was once interested in the ZEX kits for my maxima only because they were on ebay so much. They usually sell for around 400-425 on ebay brand new. I was not sure if they would work on the maxima so I email the tech support team and this is what they said

"Yes, The Zex nitrous system part number 82011 will work for your application. This system comes complete with 55, 65, & 75hp settings. The only modifications required would be to use a spark plug that is 2 steps colder than the stock heatrange plug and when using the 65 or 75hp settings you will need to retard the ignition timing 2 degrees from the stock setting. You will also need to install an aftermarket fuel pump to use the 65 or 75hp. settings. If you have any other questions feel free to contact us at 1-888-817-1008."

I think one or two .org members have a zex kit. So seem to think it to not be proven reliable. Any thoughts?
Old 09-10-2001, 03:08 PM

Re: Re: NOS question

Originally posted by mtrai760
I mounted my bottle in the back left corner of the trunk. There is a rubber plug there you can pull out to run your NOS line from the trunk under the car. I mounted my line next to the other lines, using the brush guard and zip ties to hold it in place. You can get a Guage pod for the maxima for like $20, and I mounted my switches in empty spaces, since I have a GXE, others have put them below the shifter. Good luck.

Yah what he said.

I have mine on teh driver side in teh trunk. That is where sx7r mounted his too. I know Tony (1MAX2NV) mounted his on teh passenger side.

I ran my lines right next to the fuel lines. They are zip tied together. It is as simple as that.

BTW-the stock fuel pump will hold up to a 70 shot. That is if you run your bottle at 900-950 psi.
Old 09-10-2001, 06:08 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: NOS question

Originally posted by Synki

Yah what he said.

I have mine on teh driver side in teh trunk. That is where sx7r mounted his too. I know Tony (1MAX2NV) mounted his on teh passenger side.

I ran my lines right next to the fuel lines. They are zip tied together. It is as simple as that.

BTW-the stock fuel pump will hold up to a 70 shot. That is if you run your bottle at 900-950 psi.
ya my bottle is mounted driver's side and the line is zip tied to the metal i believe brake lines under the car. i really would not recommend running a 70 shot on a stock pump unless you are a 99 or newer, pumps do get tired and will work fine stock but with nos at a 60 shot i ran a little lean with stock pump.
Old 09-20-2001, 09:02 AM
is invisible

I heard a "shot" of NOS is the equivalent of 1k miles.
Old 09-20-2001, 09:05 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

You heard wrong, or else there are some cars out there with over 300,000 miles on them running just fine...

Originally posted by CoolMax
I heard a "shot" of NOS is the equivalent of 1k miles.
Old 09-20-2001, 09:11 AM

did you mean 1 "shot"=1hp???
Old 09-20-2001, 09:18 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally posted by pawn
did you mean 1 "shot"=1hp???
I think he means everytime you spray the NOS, it takes 1k miles off the life of your engine, which is not true...
Old 09-20-2001, 09:21 AM

ahhhh i see....definetly not true
Old 09-20-2001, 10:43 PM

so for a "normal" max, 50 would be fine, or up to 65 shots.

how much do they go for and how much is installation?
Old 09-20-2001, 11:39 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally posted by LucentAUTO
so for a "normal" max, 50 would be fine, or up to 65 shots.

how much do they go for and how much is installation?
50 shot on a stock max is fine, up to a 65 depending on other mods and the condition of your stock fuel pump. The kits retail for $499, I paid $370 through a deal on Jcwhittney, but it's over now. You just have to shop around to find the best deal. Installation you can do yourself for free, or pay a shop, I was quoted $150, but I did it myself instead. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2001, 03:51 AM

50 shot on a stock max is fine, up to a 65 depending on other mods and the condition of your stock fuel pump. The kits retail for $499, I paid $370 through a deal on Jcwhittney, but it's over now. You just have to shop around to find the best deal. Installation you can do yourself for free, or pay a shop, I was quoted $150, but I did it myself instead. Good luck!

ya the install is simple esp just for a 50 shot, if you want to run blind. you can run blind at a 50 shot, but the second you want to change ANYTHING your gonna need to get gauges. I was running lean at a 60 shot, but my fuel pump was 6 years old. i now run rich at a 100 because of the new pump.
Old 09-21-2001, 09:23 AM
Banned

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

ya the install is simple esp just for a 50 shot, if you want to run blind. you can run blind at a 50 shot, but the second you want to change ANYTHING your gonna need to get gauges. I was running lean at a 60 shot, but my fuel pump was 6 years old. i now run rich at a 100 because of the new pump.
i am thinking of a 40 shot just to hold me over till i get boost, would i have to buy anything else as in window switch, FPSS, i know i dont need guages but i will when i get SC so i was thinking getting fuel pressure and EGT guages, that away i can use them for both. Basically i just want to press the button when i really need to.:evil:
Old 09-21-2001, 09:29 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Just wanted to say sweet ride first off! All you would really need with a 40 shot would be the window switch. The kit comes with a FPSS, and fuel pressure and EGT are the best guages to get. Mmmm, boost.... Good luck

Originally posted by matt calder

i am thinking of a 40 shot just to hold me over till i get boost, would i have to buy anything else as in window switch, FPSS, i know i dont need guages but i will when i get SC so i was thinking getting fuel pressure and EGT guages, that away i can use them for both. Basically i just want to press the button when i really need to.:evil:
Old 09-21-2001, 09:47 AM
Banned

Just wanted to say sweet ride first off! All you would really need with a 40 shot would be the window switch. The kit comes with a FPSS, and fuel pressure and EGT are the best guages to get. Mmmm, boost.... Good luck

thanks for the compliment.

cool thanks for your help, i am hoping i dont get trigger happy and end up bumping up the shot.
Old 09-21-2001, 10:22 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

I just call em' how I see em... With a 40 shot, you will notice faster acceleration, but it won't really kick, not until you bump it up, which can be very tempting...

Originally posted by matt calder

thanks for the compliment.

cool thanks for your help, i am hoping i dont get trigger happy and end up bumping up the shot.
Old 09-21-2001, 03:58 PM
maximaR

No, still waiting to get both.
Part #s from summit
Air Fuel Ratio: ATM-4375 $49.95
Fuel Pressure: ATM-4309 $84.95 (not full sweep)
Flip up Toggle switch: SUM-3902 $19

Remote bottle opener is $158
Window switch is $80+ $34 to get it modified.

what do you mean window switch ?? i dont get it and is the 042 jet for a 75 shot ?

Old 09-21-2001, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by maximaR

what do you mean window switch ?? i dont get it and is the 042 jet for a 75 shot ?
ok i window switch sprays the nitrous at a certain rpm range, a window. it starts at say 3200rpm and then off at 6300rpm. And you need two jets for every nos shot. right now for my 100shot i'm using a .047NOS jet and a .065 Fuel pressure jet. www.maximadriver.com has a good tech article written by our own thomas chen.
Old 09-21-2001, 05:01 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88 ok i window switch sprays the nitrous at a certain rpm range, a window. it starts at say 3200rpm and then off at 6300rpm. And you need two jets for every nos shot. right now for my 100shot i'm using a .047NOS jet and a .065 Fuel pressure jet. www.maximadriver.com has a good tech article written by our own thomas chen.
Don't forget with a window switch you have a choice of when you want your nos to begin and end spraying. On at 3200 and off at 6300 are not your only choice. You just have to get the correct chips to plug into the module to change the rpm setting. Basically you can custom fit when you want to spray on and off. My suggestion, if you have a Summit Racing catalog check out the ignition section and I'm sure you'll find a window switch and see how it looks and work.
Old 09-21-2001, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by CandiMan

Don't forget with a window switch you have a choice of when you want your nos to begin and end spraying. On at 3200 and off at 6300 are not your only choice. You just have to get the correct chips to plug into the module to change the rpm setting. Basically you can custom fit when you want to spray on and off. My suggestion, if you have a Summit Racing catalog check out the ignition section and I'm sure you'll find a window switch and see how it looks and work.
tank u, i forgot to mention that. there are some slow people lurking around here.
Old 09-24-2001, 03:01 PM

Man I wish I could get NOS. But I think that all I would hear is complaining from Like my Paretns and girlfriend by even mentioning it. Maybe one day. Whats the typical price running you guys to buy and install everything?

SuDZ
Old 09-24-2001, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ
Man I wish I could get NOS. But I think that all I would hear is complaining from Like my Paretns and girlfriend by even mentioning it. Maybe one day. Whats the typical price running you guys to buy and install everything?

SuDZ
For everything you need to run a 100shot, and install it yourself it will run you around 1200bucks.
Old 09-24-2001, 08:46 PM

ouch...! For a struggling college student thats alot... what if i just want to squeeze my own nos...? will it be a little cheeper?
Old 09-25-2001, 04:45 AM

Originally posted by Jung918
ouch...! For a struggling college student thats alot... what if i just want to squeeze my own nos...? will it be a little cheeper?

squeeze your own nos?????
Old 09-25-2001, 03:43 PM
maximaR

how about a 50 ?

How much would it cost to get a 50-75 shot set up ?

Old 09-25-2001, 03:49 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Re: how about a 50 ?

50 shot= Don't need gauges= cost of system plus +$20 or so for fittings... anything above a 50 requires gauges, which will run ya $2-300+ depending on which ones you get. NOS kit retails for $599, you'll have to shop around for a cheaper price, try ebay...

How much would it cost to get a 50-75 shot set up ?
Old 09-25-2001, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Canuck
Are you running a remote bottle opener and a window switch?

Thanks for the info.
can you expain to me how the window switch works?
Old 09-25-2001, 10:42 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally posted by 99NosMax

can you expain to me how the window switch works?
The window switch works to control the flow of NOS at specified RPM's. It connects to your ignition, and the NOS power. You buy "pills" or plug in modules to specify the RPM you want it to start and stop, example a 3400RPM pill and a 6200RPM pill. I think they come in packs of 5 in 200 rpm increments. When set up, you just arm your NOS system, and at the specified RPM the NOS starts flowing, and at the high RPM, it cuts off. This prevents you from spraying too low or hitting the Rev limiter, both really bad situations. The MSD window switch is not setup to read the Max ignition, but you can send it to MSD to get modified for about $35.
Old 09-26-2001, 11:16 AM

What about without the window switch?

How does the system work with just the basic kit? It is my understanding that when you slam the gas, and once you are at WOT above a certain rpm range, you flip the switch. It will spray. But do you have to flip the switch to stop the spray or will it stop spraying when you let off the gas via the throttle body switch?

Another stupid question: In an auto, our tranny will not miss a gear, but will the NOS system spray through the gears when you are at WOT?

Could someone with just the basic kit give a brief description of how they use and control their NOS.

For us beginners with our basic kits in the garage and with no time to install. Got to get that girl out of town.
Old 09-26-2001, 02:26 PM

The window switch works to control the flow of NOS at specified RPM's. It connects to your ignition, and the NOS power. You buy "pills" or plug in modules to specify the RPM you want it to start and stop, example a 3400RPM pill and a 6200RPM pill. I think they come in packs of 5 in 200 rpm increments. When set up, you just arm your NOS system, and at the specified RPM the NOS starts flowing, and at the high RPM, it cuts off. This prevents you from spraying too low or hitting the Rev limiter, both really bad situations. The MSD window switch is not setup to read the Max ignition, but you can send it to MSD to get modified for about $35.
You say it's bad to spray too low, but what about pre-spoolers for turbo cars? I'm not trying to prove you wrong, I'm just wondering how they do it.
Old 09-26-2001, 05:57 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Re: What about without the window switch?

Originally posted by 98sterlingmist How does the system work with just the basic kit? It is my understanding that when you slam the gas, and once you are at WOT above a certain rpm range, you flip the switch. It will spray. But do you have to flip the switch to stop the spray or will it stop spraying when you let off the gas via the throttle body switch? Another stupid question: In an auto, our tranny will not miss a gear, but will the NOS system spray through the gears when you are at WOT?
With the basic kit you'll probably use the arming switch to start spraying, considering you're already at WOT. Just don't arm the switch too low in the RPM's, and your correct once you lift the throttle the switch will open and stop the spraying. By now I assume we all know the reason why a window switch recommended for the 5spd guys incase the clutch lets go. I have a 4spd and I will be looking into a window switch because I dont want to spray between the gears. Besides I already have a MobileTek VB and cooler so I'm taking all precautions to have a long lasting experience. Happy spraying
Old 09-27-2001, 12:46 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Okay, here's how it works... First, without a window switch, as long as you are at WOT (full throttle switch) and have good fuel pressure (Fuel pressure safety switch) NOS will flow, it does not matter what RPM you are at, the NOS power supply does not care, you will also flow between the gears with an auto, since you don't let off the gas, with a 5 speed, it will stop flowing till you go WOT again.

With a window switch... The NOS power connects to the window switch. When you arm your NOS, it will not get any power. Once you pass the designated RPM, the window switch will allow power to the NOS solenoids, and you flow, once you pass the next designated RPM, the window switch cuts the power and no flow.

Using NOS to spool a turbo is another story. Most uses for that are with large turbo's that don't make much power below 5-6k RPM's, so from 3-5500 or so they can spray to boost up their power, and push the turbo faster with the increased exhaust flow. Anymore specific I don't know, but that's the basics of it.

Old 09-27-2001, 06:43 AM
maximaR

How much ?

How much would a window switch be? it seems like its a good safety device for nitrous so it wont spray between gears . and a good economy thing so that the NOS wont spray when youre at around 2k and just be basically wasted.

Old 09-27-2001, 10:30 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Re: How much ?

$80 from www.summitracing.com + $35 to have it modified by MSD to work on the maxima...

How much would a window switch be? it seems like its a good safety device for nitrous so it wont spray between gears . and a good economy thing so that the NOS wont spray when youre at around 2k and just be basically wasted.
Old 09-27-2001, 08:32 PM

Has anyone done a direct port NOS injection on a maxima, and is this the same as a "wet kit"?
Old 09-27-2001, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by MAXTOUT
Has anyone done a direct port NOS injection on a maxima, and is this the same as a "wet kit"?
yes the direct ports are out there but they are $$$$ and it's not the same as a wet kit.
Old 09-27-2001, 11:14 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally posted by MAXTOUT
1MAX2NV has a direct port kit. Direct port has individual NOS and fuel lines to each intake runner. A wet kit mounts at the throttle body, same as a dry kit, but it injects additional fuel down the intake along with the NOS, not recommended for cars with long intake runners, like the Maxima. Hope this helps...
Old 09-28-2001, 05:47 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Also

Originally posted by mtrai760 1MAX2NV has a direct port kit. Direct port has individual NOS and fuel lines to each intake runner. A wet kit mounts at the throttle body, same as a dry kit, but it injects additional fuel down the intake along with the NOS, not recommended for cars with long intake runners, like the Maxima. Hope this helps...
I think the term is called "fuel puddling" As mtrai769 mentioned it's not recommended for our cars because if fuel is injected (wet) at the TB the fuel will collect and puddle inside the intake plenum and manifold causing a fuel delivery problem. If money is not a issue, direcr port is the way to go. With a wet or dry kit there's always a possibility that some cylinders might get less or more nitrous than the others, but with the direct kit all cylinders will be getting the same amount. This is why it's important to read all your plugs when tuning your system.
Old 10-01-2001, 02:36 PM
DOM

Okay, I have a question. i bought the NOS kit from JC Whitney. So included in this kit is the timing of what RPMs the spray will go on or off? How much are gauges and where is a good place to put them. I was hoping to get mine in a less visible area. Any ideas where I can place this? Where can I get gauges besides Summit Racing?
Old 10-01-2001, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by DOM
Okay, I have a question. i bought the NOS kit from JC Whitney. So included in this kit is the timing of what RPMs the spray will go on or off? How much are gauges and where is a good place to put them. I was hoping to get mine in a less visible area. Any ideas where I can place this? Where can I get gauges besides Summit Racing?
read the previous 5.5 pages of the thread. and the easiest place for gauges without custom dash work is the pillar and summitracing is the best for gauges. and there is nothing in the kit to control the timing of the rpms and the spray. you have to buy a window switch.

Quick Reply: NOS info for the masses