General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

NOS info for the masses

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 09:28 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Alright, I keep getting emails and post about how NOS is going to destroy my car and take miles off my engine, so heres some info that will hopefully become a sticky! (hint hint) NOS kit #5124 is a universal kit that works great on the Nissan Maxima. You can use it in a basic 50 shot (.032 jet) without the addition of gauges or a fuel pump. The NOS jet connects to your intake plumbing and your fuel pressure regulator, to boost your power and raise your fuel pressure. NOS is not a combustable per say, it lowers your intake temp and adds more parts oxygen to the proccess, which increases your power. It can be used with either an auto or 5 speed, though I recommend getting a tranny cooler and vb mod for the auto, and a new clutch depending on what shot you use for the 5 speed. You can run a 50-60 shot without added much else, though once you go over that, I would recommend at a minimum, a fuel pressure gauge, EGT, and new fuel pump. The stock pump can not reliably provide enough fuel pressure over a 70 shot. NOS is like anything else, abuse it you lose it. It is not on all the time like a supercharger or turbo, and can be used safely for many many miles. The only time I have heard of anyone damaging anything was through negligence or running too high a shot of NOS. FYI, the picture of the blown up maxima, that was because he wired his bottle heater wrong, it was on all weekend, and he added an extra disc to his relief valve. NOS is inherintly safe, it's the users that get dangerous. The fastest times Ive seen posted so far are 12.6 and 12.8, 5 speed and auto, with 120-125 shots I believe, but this was with other extensive mods and experience. Right now I am running:
Warpspeed Y-Pipe
Place Racing CAI
Stealin Exhuast
Transgo VB mod
Tranny cooler
Walbarro 255lph High flow fuel pump
NOS
.042 jet
Step colder NGK platinum plugs
autometer gauges

There are many members of this board using NOS, I hope you all post here with some more info (sticky hint hint) and we can clear up the "NOS WILL KILL YOU" attitude. I hope this provides you all with some info. Good luck to all!

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...NOS/index.html
www.zex.com
www.autoperformanceengineering.com
www.summitracing.com
www.autometer.com
Old 09-07-2001, 09:37 AM

Are you running a remote bottle opener and a window switch?

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-07-2001, 10:12 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

No, still waiting to get both.
Part #s from summit
Air Fuel Ratio: ATM-4375 $49.95
Fuel Pressure: ATM-4309 $84.95 (not full sweep)
Flip up Toggle switch: SUM-3902 $19

Remote bottle opener is $158
Window switch is $80+ $34 to get it modified.

Originally posted by Canuck

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-07-2001, 12:00 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

SX7R, MardiGrasMax, 1Max2NV, Don in Texas, BriGuyMax, DmBmaxima, Sprintmax, Synki, BottlefedMax, ZexMax, anyone else running NOS, please post any info or stories you have and share the love (info!)... Most of what Ive learned has come from this board... Thanks!!!
Old 09-07-2001, 12:29 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

ok here is my story. I'm running a 100shot with all autometer phantom gauges(A/F, FP, and NOS pressure), a nos bottle heater and a walbro pump. I recommend having a CAI with nos because it's much easier to install. Now about it ruining my engine. I have run compression tests on my cyclinders after a couple bottles of nos and they go as follows. 1:185, 2:195, 3:195, 4:180, 5:195, 6:190 The factory spec is 185 BRAND NEW, so tell me nos is killing my engine. it runs perfectly, even better since the new fuel pump. The tranny is another story, i haven't had any problems YET but i do have a large tranny cooler but no VB mod. The nos works very nicely and i have no real complaints about it except that the bottle isn't big enough. My car is just slow to begin with. NOS USED PROPERLY AND SAFELY WILL NOT HARM YOU ENGINE AT ALL. if you try being kewl and run a 70 shot on a stock pump and run lean and warp stuff that's your fault. if it is used safely and with the right equipment it will last for a long time. lean=higher temp, rich=lower temp. to provide enough fuel for a 100shot you need 85 psi of FP, i run mine at 89-90, i'd rather run a little rich than a little lean. any other questions.
Old 09-07-2001, 12:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i took a ride in "stynki's" bottled max... first time taking a ride with NoS and I was soooooooo amazed by the overall performance of the car. He definitely has it all done right and knows his stuff, I am thinking about a 50shot but want to see how this ---turbo--- thing works out.. figured id drop my $.02 off here.
Old 09-07-2001, 02:27 PM

Put it this way. The basic NOS kit is meant to stick on a stock Maxima. Meaning, stock internals, stock cams, stock ECU, stock fuel pump, stock everything.

Now i dont see why people swear NOS is that bad. As long as its installed properly & tuned right, there will be no problems at all. For fact, adding S/C or Turbo kills your engine faster then NOS. Why you ask? b/c its running most of the time (Turbo) if not all the time (S/C). NOS is only used when you feel like it. I have had my NOS kit in for 4-5 months now, i have only gone through 2 10lb bottles. THat is nothing.

And please do not start this S/C vs NOS crap either. This board has gone thorugh that at least twice! Everyone can think what they want. It still wont effect me.

As far as perf wise, i have no complains at all. Let me ask you guys this. How many guys do you know that run a 50 shot and have it shave 1 full sec off your time? Well it did for me. That just means the ratio of power/time is 1:2. The syaing goes for every 10hp, it takes .1 off. Well for me every 10hp takes .2 off. Now i dont know if this works for all Maximas but this is how my car reacted to NOS.

For anyone who cares what i run, it goes:

-CAI
-Y-pipe
-VB Mod
-50 shot
-Great driver

This has me running consistent 14.3's@97mph in my SLOW auto.
Old 09-07-2001, 02:44 PM

I've had my NOS on since early July. As of yet I have NO complaints AT ALL. I had an oil analysis done on my engine oil after my last oil change to see how the engine wore on 3 bottles of NOS over 5000 miles. The results...my engine was wearing AVERAGE or even BELOW AVERAGE (that means less wear than normal). I love the feeling when my NOS hits....and every car that I've met on the street and sprayed against was dumbfounded as to how I beat them with my "family sedan". The only things I added becuase of NOS were 1 step colder plugs...and the engine runs the same mixture on and off NOS. The only regret I have is that I haven't gotten to run my NOS at the track yet!!!! I'm VERY confident that with it and a good day I should be able to break into the 14s.

One other tip....a heavy duty clutch is DEFINITELY a must with NOS...I can shift as hard as I want and it never slips!
Old 09-07-2001, 03:30 PM

I ran NOS for two years. Never had any probs. My best times were around the 14.0s@98mph. Of the bottle I would run mid 15s@87-88. I was running a .32NOS jet and a .42 Fuel pill. That is accualy about 40 hp not 50. But it gives about 60 ft. lbs of torque. Just keep the plugs changed( I stayed with the stock plug heat range) and ran 104 unleaded fuel when I went to the track. One thing to remember "NOS does not kill cars, people do" If you use it correct and dont abuse it your car will be fine. I have over 500 timeslips from my car and 200 with the NOS. My car still runs great and does not miss a beat.
Old 09-07-2001, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by 98MAX
I ran NOS for two years. Never had any probs. My best times were around the 14.0s@98mph. Of the bottle I would run mid 15s@87-88. I was running a .32NOS jet and a .42 Fuel pill. That is accualy about 40 hp not 50. But it gives about 60 ft. lbs of torque. Just keep the plugs changed( I stayed with the stock plug heat range) and ran 104 unleaded fuel when I went to the track. One thing to remember "NOS does not kill cars, people do" If you use it correct and dont abuse it your car will be fine. I have over 500 timeslips from my car and 200 with the NOS. My car still runs great and does not miss a beat.
98MPH for a 98Max, hehe

go online, didnt catch you before.
Old 09-07-2001, 05:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

here's an article i wrote on nitrous:

http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~cheston/nosxplained.html
Old 09-07-2001, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by Canuck

Thanks for the info.
what size villians r those? loox nice!
Old 09-07-2001, 05:47 PM

what's an egt ... sorry I'm a NOS newbie ...

stickie ... isn't it the user that sets it up? or does a moderator have 2 do it?

Originally posted by mtrai760
Alright, I keep getting emails and post about how NOS is going to destroy my car and take miles off my engine, so heres some info that will hopefully become a sticky! (hint hint) NOS kit #5124 is a universal kit that works great on the Nissan Maxima. You can use it in a basic 50 shot (.032 jet) without the addition of gauges or a fuel pump. The NOS jet connects to your intake plumbing and your fuel pressure regulator, to boost your power and raise your fuel pressure. NOS is not a combustable per say, it lowers your intake temp and adds more parts oxygen to the proccess, which increases your power. It can be used with either an auto or 5 speed, though I recommend getting a tranny cooler and vb mod for the auto, and a new clutch depending on what shot you use for the 5 speed. You can run a 50-60 shot without added much else, though once you go over that, I would recommend at a minimum, a fuel pressure gauge, EGT, and new fuel pump. The stock pump can not reliably provide enough fuel pressure over a 70 shot. NOS is like anything else, abuse it you lose it. It is not on all the time like a supercharger or turbo, and can be used safely for many many miles. The only time I have heard of anyone damaging anything was through negligence or running too high a shot of NOS. FYI, the picture of the blown up maxima, that was because he wired his bottle heater wrong, it was on all weekend, and he added an extra disc to his relief valve. NOS is inherintly safe, it's the users that get dangerous. The fastest times Ive seen posted so far are 12.6 and 12.8, 5 speed and auto, with 120-125 shots I believe, but this was with other extensive mods and experience. Right now I am running:
Warpspeed Y-Pipe
Place Racing CAI
Stealin Exhuast
Transgo VB mod
Tranny cooler
Walbarro 255lph High flow fuel pump
NOS
.042 jet
Step colder NGK platinum plugs
autometer gauges

There are many members of this board using NOS, I hope you all post here with some more info (sticky hint hint) and we can clear up the "NOS WILL KILL YOU" attitude. I hope this provides you all with some info. Good luck to all!

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...NOS/index.html
www.zex.com
www.autoperformanceengineering.com
www.summitracing.com
www.autometer.com
Old 09-07-2001, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by ohboiya
what's an egt ... sorry I'm a NOS newbie ...
Exhaust temp.

stickie ... isn't it the user that sets it up? or does a moderator have 2 do it?

I think moderators do it.
Old 09-07-2001, 08:21 PM
Ramius83

People all have the impression that if you use NOS, you will destroy your engine. WRONG. As said before, NOS, if used correctly, is very safe. It only activates when you want it to (instead of being on all the time like a supercharger or turbo (no offense to you boost guys)). It is the user that makes it dangerous. Stupid careless mistakes is what gets you into trouble. But I think that if you own a MAX, you probably want to treat it like a GOD, so I don't think ANYONE with NOS wll be making them. So, to everyone out there, before you "dis" NOS, get the facts straight.

Old 09-07-2001, 08:55 PM

what about all the people that are scared of explosions?
Old 09-08-2001, 01:14 AM

Wow one post without any flames!!!!! No just playin.
Now that I know that up to a 70 shot can be run without any modifications I will probably purchase it this winter and give all my friends a little suprise next summer.
Old 09-08-2001, 01:57 AM

wow

I realllly want to run 50shot now.. maybe I will just have to do that!

can anyone tell me about how many 1/4 runs @50shot on a 10lb I will get.. or any #'s you have of how long it lasts... ?
Old 09-08-2001, 04:59 AM

Originally posted by 00 black max
Wow one post without any flames!!!!! No just playin.
Now that I know that up to a 70 shot can be run without any modifications I will probably purchase it this winter and give all my friends a little suprise next summer.
WOOO, WOOOO, WOOO. You can run a 50-shot without any mods, maybe a 60. i wouldn't run a 70 shot without any mods. Once you start playing with shots you start playing with fuel pressure and then you need the gauge for it. If you want to run just a kit and run blind i'd say stay at 50. this is why people DO kill their motors. They try to push the limits of NOS and save a few bucks. It's not worth it. either buy the right stuff or don't run a higher shot. I only ran my 50 shot once without all my gauges. It's added insurance, you really need to be careful. And HAROLD, you can get about 10 or so 1/4 mile passes with a 10lbs bottle. More is you only spray in second and third.
Old 09-08-2001, 05:51 AM

Ok a few questions.
First: You have a switch. You flip it and it sprays nitrous. How long does it spray for? Do you control that? How many times can you spray with a 10lb bottle?
Whats a window switch?

Even if i just run a 50shot, would i, at some point, have to get a NOS pressure gauge? What that be the only guage i need? It seems like a 50 shot will give me a nice boost whlile still remaing very safe. I'd probably only use N02 a few times a month, and almost never in the winter...
Oh, and how much would someone charge to install this. Could I even get it installed in Maine?
Old 09-08-2001, 06:06 AM

Hey .. r u the Steve Coz was talking about?

Have u installed the 'new' belts yet? R they a perfect fit or are they still tite?

Let me know b/c it's been at least a month since I got the UPD & this is still not resolved ...

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

WOOO, WOOOO, WOOO. You can run a 50-shot without any mods, maybe a 60. i wouldn't run a 70 shot without any mods. Once you start playing with shots you start playing with fuel pressure and then you need the gauge for it. If you want to run just a kit and run blind i'd say stay at 50. this is why people DO kill their motors. They try to push the limits of NOS and save a few bucks. It's not worth it. either buy the right stuff or don't run a higher shot. I only ran my 50 shot once without all my gauges. It's added insurance, you really need to be careful. And HAROLD, you can get about 10 or so 1/4 mile passes with a 10lbs bottle. More is you only spray in second and third.
Old 09-08-2001, 06:16 AM

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
Ok a few questions.
First: You have a switch. You flip it and it sprays nitrous. How long does it spray for?
If the bottle is open and the switch is flipped, then whenever you go WOT, the NOS is sprayed.

Do you control that?
Yes.
How many times can you spray with a 10lb bottle?
With a 50 shot, about 10 times in the 1/4.

Whats a window switch?
Better known as a RPM switch, it turns on the NOS at a particular RPM setting, lets say 3000 RPM and turns it off at 6000 RPM. The concept behind it is that you DO NOT want to spray while the car is shifting between gears.

Even if i just run a 50shot, would i, at some point, have to get a NOS pressure gauge?
You wouldn't know what the tank pressure was if you didn't.
What that be the only guage i need?
You should be using a A/F guage also.
It seems like a 50 shot will give me a nice boost whlile still remaing very safe. I'd probably only use N02 a few times a month, and almost never in the winter...
The winter while it isn't snowing is actually the best time to go to the track, if you can actually find an open one.
Oh, and how much would someone charge to install this. Could I even get it installed in Maine?
About 250? I installed mine myself, but I am technically inclined. You could get it installed, but I don't know where in Maine.
Old 09-08-2001, 06:39 AM

Wow, Greg with the "Bill" break down.

You can run up to a 50 shot stock. If you want anything bigger, i would at least say get a CAI & Y-pipe. Just remember, NOS likes back pressure. So free up that exhaust all the way.

A 10lb bottle only last me about 7 passes down the 1/4 mile. I also purge a good amount. I keep purging till i see a nice thick white stream and i know its ready to give me the best hit of NOS.

As far as times. A 50 shto took 1 full second off for me. I was orig running 15.5's with a CAI, then added a Y-pipe and ran 15.3's. Now that i added a 50 shot i run consistent 14.3's.

Just remember this is how the NOS is triggered. You have a couple of things to know first.

First, the bottle must be open to even use it.

There is a main activation switch that "activates" the whole system. It means it just kinda turns it on.

Then, there is a WOT switch. That just mounts to your TB under the hood and when you floor it @ WOT, it hits the "switch" and completes the whole activation.

Then there is a Window Switch. This is what controls when the NOS starts sprayin @ the desired rpms. This prevents you from spraying too low or through gears. I have mine set to start spraying @ 3400rpms (of course i have to be @ WOT for this to happen) and spray till 6000rpms when it cuts it off (so i dont spray through gears.

If you go to www.clubmaxima.com Mardigras has a nice write up the NOS kit & how it works.
Old 09-08-2001, 08:01 AM

What did you mean by "NOS likes back pressure, so free up that exhaust all the way"?

The window switch does not come in the basic kit right? But the kit does come with the WOT switch.

Auto trany guys, how do you no spray through the gears?

I just purchased a Import NOS kit with the 40-60 shot capabilities off of ebay. If you are looking for a kit, Ebay is the place. Just search for Nitrous Oxide. It took me two weeks to find mine and I paid 320 shipped.
Old 09-08-2001, 08:05 AM

I meant is causes back pressure. It was early.
Old 09-08-2001, 08:16 AM

But it is alright to run the NOS a completely free exhaust? I just might not get the full effect of the system?
Old 09-08-2001, 10:30 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Nothing much to add, besides

I'm a proud owner of a brand new NOS kit (JC Whitney) from another member. I've read all precautions and recomendations before this thread was posted and I'm sure once I install the kit it should be safe. For added security I also purchased a Walbro pump, Paxton adj FPR, Tranny temp gauge and Auto Meter AFR gauge which I'll probably not use because of it's inconsistance and slow reaction time (again from what I've read) and go with a EGT instead. I already have MobileTek VB and a 16K GVW tranny cooler, which I'll be replacing with a larger unit when I move back to the S. Florida area. All is well, MIKE
Old 09-08-2001, 12:11 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Bump

Thanks for contributing info everyone! Moderators??? Sticky please?
Old 09-08-2001, 12:36 PM

good info
Old 09-08-2001, 06:34 PM

hmmmm.....now i really want NOS......time to start savin.....
Old 09-08-2001, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by pawn
hmmmm.....now i really want NOS......time to start savin.....

you need to save for some lowering springs
Old 09-08-2001, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

you need to save for some lowering springs

no i don't......I have SPRINTS layin' right next to me.....wiating for the konis which should be here next week.....my 18's should be her monday....
Old 09-08-2001, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by pawn

no i don't......I have SPRINTS layin' right next to me.....wiating for the konis which should be here next week.....my 18's should be her monday....
nice.
Old 09-09-2001, 12:47 PM

Sticky please, This has been very helpful. I can not wait for my kit. It is in the Mail!!!!
Pawn I remember to send pics. of your sprints. My car is identical to yours and I sold you the springs. Thanks
Old 09-09-2001, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by 98sterlingmist
Sticky please, This has been very helpful. I can not wait for my kit. It is in the Mail!!!!
Pawn I remember to send pics. of your sprints. My car is identical to yours and I sold you the springs. Thanks
ya i will.....and thanks again....my konis should be here on tuesday or wednesday....and ill drop it on saturday......i also have some 18" enkei v1's that will be here tomorrow......so hows married life?
Old 09-09-2001, 11:18 PM

yea..this really should be a sticky....
Old 09-10-2001, 08:54 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Bump.....

Thiers always the hard way of keeping it up here.... Sticky?

Old 09-10-2001, 10:04 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Re: Bump.....

Originally posted by mtrai760
Thiers always the hard way of keeping it up here.... Sticky?
I agree in making this a sticky, but you're going at it the wrong way. Instead of bumping it up every day, just wait until the thread reaches the bottom of the thread list or until it's on the second page of the list. Folks memory are as long as their (_______) so when they see the word "NOS" they might think it's a new thread, especially with all those replies. Or you can just email the moderators and bribe them. OMG, did I just do that bump thing?
Old 09-10-2001, 10:09 AM

Re: Re: Bump.....

Originally posted by CandiMan

I agree in making this a sticky, but you're going at it the wrong way. Instead of bumping it up every day, just wait until the thread reaches the bottom of the thread list or until it's on the second page of the list. Folks memory are as long as their (_______) so when they see the word "NOS" they might think it's a new thread, especially with all those replies. Or you can just email the moderators and bribe them. OMG, did I just do that bump thing?
ya, or you could just bump it!
Old 09-10-2001, 12:49 PM

NOS question

For everyone running NOS, do you have any advise on where in the trunk to install the bottle and plumb the hoses.
How about some advise how and whereto's to place gauges and switches for accessability and ease of install.

Quick Reply: NOS info for the masses