General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

PLEASE NEED HELP MY CAR IS...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2000, 09:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

leaking oil. I just found that out. It's dripping pretty fast and my dipstick is almost dry. What kind of oil do i need? It's leaking right below the oil filter, maybe a blown gasket or those morons in Valvoline didn't put it right. Damn.....please help, I have to get some oil right now.
Old 10-30-2000, 09:20 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

any major brand..castrol/QS/valvoline/halvoline..
get 5w-30 weight.
find out the leak ASAP. oil filter gasket?
missing washer in the plug?
Dan

Originally posted by AndyXXL
leaking oil. I just found that out. It's dripping pretty fast and my dipstick is almost dry. What kind of oil do i need? It's leaking right below the oil filter, maybe a blown gasket or those morons in Valvoline didn't put it right. Damn.....please help, I have to get some oil right now.
Old 10-30-2000, 09:20 AM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by AndyXXL
Well, what ever they put in, probably soe 5W30 or 10W30.

They might not have tighten the oil fiter on right.

-Shing
Old 10-30-2000, 09:30 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I would

call the valvoline place... dont move the car. Have them pay to have it towed to the dealer. DONT TOUCH IT. They may be paying for some repairs.
Old 10-30-2000, 09:33 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

BTW,

if you still had *some* oil on the dipstick, then there is a good chance no harm was done. the burning was oil dripping on exhaust.. but I guess you know that now.
Old 10-30-2000, 10:13 AM

check filter

check the oil filter or the oil pan screw. One of them is not screwed in tightly. Mostly likely it the oil filter. Sometimes i don't screwed the oil filter tightly when i do my oil changes, but I find out before I drive off.

use the oil used when they changed the oil.Check your receipt.
Old 10-30-2000, 11:41 PM
mrloyd

dude

Do what tim said, just call valvo and tell themto tow it. Chances are that it is nothing, but you can get another oil change for free, plus if you do have a problem, they can't say you kept driving it. BTW, i just have to ask, simply out of curiousity, and in no way to disrespect, but how did you get to be a fanatic and not know what kind of oil to get? If you're just plain not into mechanics thats fine, i just wonder. I need to reemphasize that i'm not trying to be a sh** cause so many folks get all upset and then i get flamed for a week. Good luck.

Old 10-31-2000, 12:25 AM

I know the exact problem!

"Leaking near the oil filter" is CLASSIC for:

LEAKING OIL SENDING UNIT.

I'm assuming the oil change guys weren't so stupid as to not screw on the filter tight enough. Nissans are NOTORIOUS for leaking sending units. It's a simple repair. Drain all the oil, remove the filter and the sending unit is plugged in near the filter nozzle. If your car is under warranty, fill er up with oil and drive it to the dealer. Use either 5w30 or 10w30 oil, any brand.

My oil sending unit leaked at around 26k or so. Dealer replaced it under warranty.
Old 10-31-2000, 07:42 AM

Re: dude

Originally posted by mrloyd
Do what tim said, just call valvo and tell themto tow it. Chances are that it is nothing, but you can get another oil change for free, plus if you do have a problem, they can't say you kept driving it. BTW, i just have to ask, simply out of curiousity, and in no way to disrespect, but how did you get to be a fanatic and not know what kind of oil to get? If you're just plain not into mechanics thats fine, i just wonder. I need to reemphasize that i'm not trying to be a sh** cause so many folks get all upset and then i get flamed for a week. Good luck.
By saying what kind of oil I ment either 5w-30 or 10w-30. Someone told me long time ago that it's better to use 10w-30 for cars with over 60.000 miles on it. Although I always used to put 5w-30. 5w-30 is thicker, so it should lubricate the engine better.

I fixed the problem last night. The leak was caused by not properly attached oil filter. I checked oil level this morning, it's fine.
Thanks for your help guys.
Andy
Old 10-31-2000, 07:59 AM

Re: Re: dude

Originally posted by AndyXXL By saying what kind of oil I ment either 5w-30 or 10w-30. Someone told me long time ago that it's better to use 10w-30 for cars with over 60.000 miles on it. Although I always used to put 5w-30. 5w-30 is thicker, so it should lubricate the engine better.

I fixed the problem last night. The leak was caused by not properly attached oil filter. I checked oil level this morning, it's fine.
Thanks for your help guys.
Andy [/I]
What was the problem? Use 5W30. Using 10W30 won't harm th engine either. OH and by the way...5W30 is NOT "thicker" than 10W30.
Old 10-31-2000, 08:36 AM
Rit

I'd like to speak for Andy...I met him at the Albany

meet last weekend, and he IS a true gentleman. The fact that he was in a state of panic when his car was leaking oil is understandable, because I would be pretty nervous also. So chill out on him, and when you meet him in Natick on the 11th, I'm sure you'll agree with me.

Andre- glad to hear everything worked out. How's the intake ?
Old 10-31-2000, 08:40 AM

Re: I'd like to speak for Andy...I met him at the Albany

Originally posted by Rit
meet last weekend, and he IS a true gentleman. The fact that he was in a state of panic when his car was leaking oil is understandable, because I would be pretty nervous also. So chill out on him, and when you meet him in Natick on the 11th, I'm sure you'll agree with me.

Andre- glad to hear everything worked out. How's the intake ?
Thanks for your support The intake is great, I love it.
Old 10-31-2000, 08:51 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: I know the exact problem!

yes the sending units leak after some time..but it doesn't leak out in a pool unless the sensor is totally out of the engine. it'll dribble you'll notice a small circle of oil on the ground..but not so much that it'll lost oil that fast.
Dan

Originally posted by Eric L.
"Leaking near the oil filter" is CLASSIC for:

LEAKING OIL SENDING UNIT.

I'm assuming the oil change guys weren't so stupid as to not screw on the filter tight enough. Nissans are NOTORIOUS for leaking sending units. It's a simple repair. Drain all the oil, remove the filter and the sending unit is plugged in near the filter nozzle. If your car is under warranty, fill er up with oil and drive it to the dealer. Use either 5w30 or 10w30 oil, any brand.

My oil sending unit leaked at around 26k or so. Dealer replaced it under warranty.