General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Buying a Max -- 4th gen vs 5th gen (part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2001, 06:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Buying a Max -- 4th gen vs 5th gen (part 2)

I started a thread on this the other day and it quickly got ugly and out of control, and finally locked. My apologies to the mods if I was not supposed to start another thread. I did get a few useful responses but I wanted to try again and hopefully this time the thread will stay on topic. I DO NOT CARE ABOUT QUARTER MILE TIMES.

I am looking to buy a 5 speed Maxima in the near future, I intend to take my time and wait for a good (or great) deal. I am torn between buying a GXE and doing suspension and rims, or getting an SE and leaving it mostly stock. A few options would be nice, but the GXE can't get any without getting an automatic. If I spend over $10-12 thousand on a car I would be very hesitant to Mod it, at least until I had a good portion of the loan paid off.

All the reviews I have read on the 2k Max claim it is quieter, handles better, the frame is 30% stiffer, etc, but I don’t know if the reviewers are just repeating Nissans advertising claims. Consumer Reports says the 2k Max is ‘much improved’ and ranks it very highly, they did not rank the 4th gen that well. I trust Consumer Reports opinion but I know they use different criteria than a driving enthusiast would.

I was hoping someone who has owned or driven both a 4th and 5th gen could give me their opinion on whether the 5th gen is better built and designed, and a better overall car. PLEASE NO BASHING OR DEBATE OVER ¼ MILE AND 0-60 TIMES!

The reason I am asking is in my local classifieds there is a 5 speed 2k Max SE with 40,000 miles for an asking price of $16,000, and its been there a couple of weeks. The only way you could rack up this many miles in a year would be on the highway (unless it was a Taxi ).If I could get this car for 14-15k I think it would be a good deal, It is only a couple thousand more than a nice 97-98 model with similar mileage and the 2k model comes with more standard features including ABS. What do you think?
Old 10-04-2001, 07:44 AM

I have driven dozens of both cars.

And I can honestly say no two are exactly alike in the way they feel when driving. They are all close, but subtle differences are present. The first time I got in a 5 speed 2K I was in love. However the first 5 speed 4th gen I got in felt nearly as nice. Autos are similar. Let the features and prices be your main factor. Both vehicles are near perfection. Everyone will tell you something different, because everyone feels differently. You need to test drive a few.

At this point my max has 130,000 miles on it. I know it'll keep pulling for a while, but I have given thought to getting a new model, or another 4th genny. At this point I am undecided, but leaning towards the new models.
Old 10-04-2001, 10:32 AM

I have a 4th gen SE.
I am very happy with it.
Personally, I like the looks of the 4th gen more than the 5th - but obviously, that's subjective.
I would like to have the 5th gen specs, stiffer, more hp, etc. though.
Don't fear mods.
The SE starts out good, but mods can make it better.
I like working on the car.
I have only done minor mods so far:
Clears, Hi flow, FTSB, air horns, clock mod, shaved, tinted rears, H&R springs, new wheels on they way.
It could be put back to stock, maybe not easily, but not too hard either...
So, what body style do you like more?
Do you like working on the car?
I'm sure you could get more car for your $ with a 4th gen, and then have $ left over for mods.
I would go for an SE over other types.
I'd also go for stick.
My new wheels weren't too expensive and I justified it to myself with the plan to put snows on the stock rims for the winter [duhh]. I mean the stock SE rims look pretty sharp, why go for new wheels?
Well, I went to 17" and anyway, wtf.
Whichever, 4th or 5th, you'll enjoy the ride.
But howsabout the new Altima?
Now w/ v6, larger than b4, lighter than the Maxima...
Nahhh, Maxima rocks
Old 10-04-2001, 01:31 PM
DOM

5th gen. You like the tailights, it is as fast as a 4th gen but has more room, gets slightly better gas mileage. 4th gens are cool too but remember that you can still get a 2001 GXE for $18,000. I like the GXE better because it is the same as the SE without minor details. SE has more cosmetic changes that really add to the price. I wanted me Maxima to be a little different from the rest I see on the streets so I added wheels and lowering springs. It would be a waste for me to spend $24,000+ on a car with common 17 inch wheels rather than buy a GXE for $19500 (the price I paid at the time), add 18 inch chrome wheels $2,200, aftermarket leather $990, lowering springs for $200, intake for $175, Y pipe for $400
$19500+$2,200+$990+$200+$175+$400=$23,465
I have a modded to my liking GXE that is $525 cheaper than a new SE that has additional features that I don't care about, but still have to pay for because of the packages. My car is a 5 spd. too.
Old 10-09-2001, 06:44 AM

Bump....

So why do all the car reviews like the 5th gen more?
Old 10-09-2001, 07:15 AM

Why 5th gen more

I think most car reviewers simply are paying attention to the new stuff. The 4th gen is basically 6 years old. The updates in 97-99 4th gen Maxes models were mostly cosmetic with some structural changes (better bumpers), but not a major re-design. All 4th gens still have the same VQ motor, and like 95% of the body is the same etc.

The 5th gen got a totally new body, the VQ motor was enhanced with Kaizen. Funny thing is, the better motor had to pull around a bigger body, so the VQ-K motor isn't as noticeable as it would be if the body weighed the same as before.

One other interesting thing to note, when the 3rd gen Max went to the 4th gen, the car got lighter with a better engine. When the 4th went to 5th, the car got heavier with a still better engine.

DW
Old 10-09-2001, 07:52 AM

Re: Why 5th gen more

so get a 3rd gen and with the money you save,
drop in a 5th gen motor.

and doesn't the 3rd gen have independent rear suspension?