General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Maxima save my life

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2001, 09:51 AM

Maxima save my life

Don't let the "acceptable" crash ratings of the 4th gen mis lead you.

This morning I hit a van that was parked, YES PARKED! in the fast lane of the turn pike here in south florida. There was a truck in front of me and I saw him swerve very fast into the middle lane, I didn't even have time to react (take my foot off the gas, scream, brace myself..nothing) and hit smack into the back of this van (it was stopped...I was doing 70mph) The car was also hit from the cars behind me...I basically walked away. EVERY single emergency worker was totally shocked that I was ok...heck even alive. I've got a few cuts and scrapes on my knees and hands, but the Maxima, along with the seat belt and airbag saved my life. I'm ****ed that my car is totalled, but she saved my life. I had many of the emergency workers say that they were going to buy a Maxima after seeing what I lived through.

Be careful out there fellow Maxima.org memebers, you NEVER know when something like this will happen to you.

Dan

PS I'll post some pics when I get to see the car.
Old 10-17-2001, 09:55 AM

Glad that you are alive. Why was the van stopped? Im glad the max is so safe, I just hope that I can take your word for it and not find out for myself.
Old 10-17-2001, 10:01 AM

Re: Maxima save my life

Originally posted by Max I am

This morning I hit a van that was parked, YES PARKED! in the fast lane of the turn pike here in south florida. There was a truck in front of me and I saw him swerve very fast into the middle lane, I didn't even have time to react (take my foot off the gas, scream, brace myself..nothing) and hit smack into the back of this van (it was stopped...I was doing 70mph) The car was also hit from the cars behind me...I basically walked away. EVERY single emergency worker was totally shocked that I was ok...heck even alive. I've got a few cuts and scrapes on my knees and hands, but the Maxima, along with the seat belt and airbag saved my life. I'm ****ed that my car is totalled, but she saved my life. I had many of the emergency workers say that they were going to buy a Maxima after seeing what I lived through.

Be careful out there fellow Maxima.org memebers, you NEVER know when something like this will happen to you.

Dan

Monday afternoon I totaled my Max. I swerved off the road and hit a tree at about 40 mph. The front of my max was kind of messed up, but the interior was perfectly fine, and the frame wasn't bent. These Maxima's are really, my engine still runs perfectly, but since it is an '89 it doesn't take much to rack up a $6000 repair bill.
BTW since my car was an '89 it had no airbag, and I walked away from my accident without a scratch.
Old 10-17-2001, 10:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My goodness... at least you're ok, that's the important thing!
Old 10-17-2001, 10:12 AM

Yeah too many people are book mechanics or let one experience mislead them....or make themselves feel better cause they got a 97-99...I hit a lady that suddenly hit her brakes in a benz cause she couldn't drive at about 25mph and didn't dent or scratch my front end...and then I was rear ended by my cousin in a honda at about 40 and all i got is a little dent.....

and mine is 96 so when people post their comments I just stay mute knowing my own personal experience with my car...

But peeps will sure tell u to run from a 95-96 due to poor crash ratings
Old 10-17-2001, 10:16 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

That sucks about the car, but it's replaceable, at least your okay. Last October, I had some idiot decide he wanted to do a U-turn in the middle of the street, from the right hand lane. I was going about 50 when he swerved in front of me. I slammed on the brakes but still T-boned him going about 40mph, totaling both my 96 5spd and his Chevy truck. I walked away with only some bruises from the seatbelt, and bought another max less than a month later, I just couldn't find another 5spd...
Old 10-17-2001, 10:48 AM

geez 70mph, wow . also consider the person behind you was also going around 70 mph. Your a lucky man. I would sue that bastard in the van for all hes worth. Then get yourself a new max
Glad to see you are ok .
Old 10-17-2001, 11:30 AM

Here's the deal...

The van, it was full of illegal aliens...no insurance...heck, they aren't even supposed to be in the country...why they were stopped in the middle of the left lane still blows my mind...I have no idea. I asked the EMT in the ambulance if there was a shoulder...expecting him to say no...he did at first and then said "wait, there is because when we got there the van was totally off to the side"...you don't have to speak english to realize you're a freakin' hazard stopped on the highway. Anyways...I don't know how many cars hit behind me, I know a Ford Ranger hit the back of me...probably at about 70mph and at least six other cars were involved. I thank God that I am alive and pretty much unhurt. Scratches and bruises will heal, but every time I close my eyes I see that white van....then BANG!
Old 10-17-2001, 11:32 AM

Re: Maxima save my life

Originally posted by Max I am

Dan

Where on the Turnpike exactly did this happen? I can't count how many times this exact thing has come up for me. I drive from Boca Raton to Gainesville along the whole length of the Turnpike and I see cars parked like this so many times. Good that you're okay, the car will be fixed.
Old 10-17-2001, 11:34 AM
MDr

Glad you're OK, or put it another way, were well protected by Maxima.
I drive my 5 yrs old and 6 months old daughters 40 miles to daycare every day so safety is my top priority.
Old 10-17-2001, 12:35 PM

WOW, that is amazing, glad to hear you're okay, i would hate to think what would have happened if you were driving another car.
there are too many idiots on the road, i was almost involved in an accident similar to yours. this is when i first bought my max, i'm on the interstate, going maybe 70mph also, and there is a new taurus in front of me, well all the sudden some fool that stopped on the shoulder decided to get on to the interstate, right in front of the taurus. well the guy in the taurus slammed his brakes, and when i saw his brakes lights and car come towards me, i had all my weight on the brake, i felt myself propell foward, this is when i realized how good the brakes on the max were. man i was shaking.
and then today, some dumbass in a dump truck runs a red light, as i was going through it, well when i saw him, i hit my brakes and swerved to the left(he was coming from the right, and he swerved to the left, he avoided hitting each other, but the part that ****ed me off the most was that he gave ME the finger, SOB! there are just too many dummys out there, always have to be careful. just glad to hear you are okay.
Old 10-17-2001, 12:40 PM

i hate it when that happens, a few years ago i almost hit a parked car like that.. i was in the right lane on a busy 2 lane street and the guy in front of me gets into the left lane and all of a sudden theres a car right there... luckily i had enough time to stop i was only going about 40 i guess
Old 10-17-2001, 12:42 PM

WOW, that is amazing, glad to hear you're okay, i would hate to think what would have happened if you were driving another car.
there are too many idiots on the road, i was almost involved in an accident similar to yours. this is when i first bought my max, i'm on the interstate, going maybe 70mph also, and there is a new taurus in front of me, well all the sudden some fool that stopped on the shoulder decided to get on to the interstate, right in front of the taurus. well the guy in the taurus slammed his brakes, and when i saw his brakes lights and car come towards me, i had all my weight on the brake, i felt myself propell foward, this is when i realized how good the brakes on the max were. man i was shaking.
and then today, some dumbass in a dump truck runs a red light, as i was going through it, well when i saw him, i hit my brakes and swerved to the left(he was coming from the right, and he swerved to the left, he avoided hitting each other, but the part that ****ed me off the most was that he gave ME the finger, SOB! there are just too many dummys out there, always have to be careful. just glad to hear you are okay.
Old 10-17-2001, 01:10 PM

Glad to hear you are alright. Man so many people have been getting into accidents lately. I hope they find those illegal aliens and deport them
Old 10-17-2001, 01:21 PM
Kevlo for President

its not about the max its about that u r ok
Old 10-17-2001, 03:17 PM

WOW, that's a freakin' story and a half. glad to hear u r ok compared 2 what might've been. i have a 96 myself. maybe it's just me but a van parked like that? i mean . sum1's gotta get sued.
Old 10-17-2001, 06:38 PM

Wow

Wow, guess it wasn't your time yet....you must have more to do.
Old 10-17-2001, 06:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

wow

That's amazing. Glad you're okay! I'm not really up on crash test ratings, but I'm glad to hear that the max protected you. My friend wrapped his 96 Jetta around a telephone pole last year and walked away too. It was head on with no brakes. The front of that car was totally gone and I was amazed he wasn't more than bruised. It is amazing the punishing modern cars can take and the occupants still live.
Old 10-17-2001, 07:07 PM

Man, that really sucks. Good to know that you are ok, and even better to know that the Max saved you.
Old 10-18-2001, 05:56 AM

Thanks everyone

thanks for all your sympathy, I appreciate it. I was ****ed when I was sitting in the car afterwards, seeing what happened to my car, I loved her....but I gave her a little pat and thanked her for saving my life. I will definately buy another Max, unless I find a deal on something else I can't pass up.

By the way, they did arrest the aliens...I guess they were all in the van, but get this the Sheriff told me that Immigrations "didn't feel like picking them up" So the cops had to arrest them and take them to jail....I am sure that they'll be deported soon.

Thanks again, and I'll post picks when I get some.
Old 10-19-2001, 06:14 AM

ok

So apparently the owner of the white van had PIP insurance...I'm not quite sure what that covers though?

Does anyone think I should get a lawyer? I don't have money to waste on a case that won't prove anything but I'm still kind of rattled and I don't want to screw something up..

Your opinions are GREATLY appreciated!

Dan
Old 10-19-2001, 06:29 AM

What a story...glad to hear you are okay.
I hope you are still feeling fine.

As one who has seen his share of accidents, I have a mental list of cars I would an would not buy based on experence too.

Yes I drive a Max !
Old 10-19-2001, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by 2DMax
What a story...glad to hear you are okay.
I hope you are still feeling fine.

As one who has seen his share of accidents, I have a mental list of cars I would an would not buy based on experence too.

Yes I drive a Max !
just out of curiousity, what cars would you not recommend due to poor safety? i never look at the government ratings, they test crashes at a low speed like 40mph, and they figure thats adequate testing, a single test can't determine the safety rating of a car.