General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

The car went to Nissan today for gear slipage..

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 06:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The car went to Nissan today for gear slipage..

When I went to Nissan today I asked to speak to the transmission technician. When he came out I described the problem and he said that I was probably correct in that my transmission was going and that I needed the whole thing replaced, but he had to go by the books..

So, I waited 2 hours for them to flush out my transmission fluid and fill it back up. He came out and told me right out that it didn't fix the problem, but they have to try it first and have me wait 6-7 days for the fluid to run it's course. He then told me that I should come back next thursday, tell them that nothing has fixed, because he said it wouldn't, and get a brand new transmission put it.

He told me that he would get the fee I paid today credited and that I would basically get the whole deal done for free because it is under warranty. I guess I am lucky that the guy was really cool and that I get a new tranny for "free." He was really into my car.. liked the rims (thought they were 19's), the sound and general feel of my I/Y/E, and said the car just looked really cool. I guess I am lucky on this one, next thurs I drop the car off and the new tranny goes in.
Old 10-24-2001, 07:20 PM

Re: The car went to Nissan today for gear slipage..

what were ur symptom???

Originally posted by thebigsadler
When I went to Nissan today I asked to speak to the transmission technician. When he came out I described the problem and he said that I was probably correct in that my transmission was going and that I needed the whole thing replaced, but he had to go by the books..

So, I waited 2 hours for them to flush out my transmission fluid and fill it back up. He came out and told me right out that it didn't fix the problem, but they have to try it first and have me wait 6-7 days for the fluid to run it's course. He then told me that I should come back next thursday, tell them that nothing has fixed, because he said it wouldn't, and get a brand new transmission put it.

He told me that he would get the fee I paid today credited and that I would basically get the whole deal done for free because it is under warranty. I guess I am lucky that the guy was really cool and that I get a new tranny for "free." He was really into my car.. liked the rims (thought they were 19's), the sound and general feel of my I/Y/E, and said the car just looked really cool. I guess I am lucky on this one, next thurs I drop the car off and the new tranny goes in.
Old 10-24-2001, 07:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: The car went to Nissan today for gear slipage..

slipage of gears.. 1-2 and 2-3... would go from 2000 RPMS and when it would shift it would jump to 4000 and then down to 1500.. took like 2 seconds to shift today.. it sucked and scared the crap out of me..

also, the car would rev and not going anywhere when i tried to accelerate.. and then all of the sudden catch and LURCH forward..

i read about the belts or whatever in your post.. the mechanic said new tranny.. clutch plates look fine.. but only explination.. and i am sure they dont like giving out new tranny's..
Old 10-24-2001, 07:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: The car went to Nissan today for gear slipage..

Originally posted by thebigsadler
slipage of gears.. 1-2 and 2-3... would go from 2000 RPMS and when it would shift it would jump to 4000 and then down to 1500.. took like 2 seconds to shift today.. it sucked and scared the crap out of me..

also, the car would rev and not going anywhere when i tried to accelerate.. and then all of the sudden catch and LURCH forward..

i read about the belts or whatever in your post.. the mechanic said new tranny.. clutch plates look fine.. but only explination.. and i am sure they dont like giving out new tranny's..
i just reread ur post...ur getting it done under warranty rite?? what year do u have??? and how much mileage do u have?? i have a 95 w/ 116k...and only when i put it in "d" then it's hesitant of "catching" the first gear...