General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Installed the Optima Red top.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2000, 09:23 AM

Man....I dunno if my battery has just been weak for the last 2 years or if that the 1000 CCA's are doing it. Now my VG sounds just like a vq when it starts. The reason I say that is that the vg(path/max) alwasy sounded like the starter was slower than a vq. The vq sounds very....err....fast..the starter that is. Welp..anyway..I swear the starter runs double time now. I also...plase don't flame me...feel that the car is a little smoother....I SWEAR I dunno...it feels it tho. There is also slightly less vibes in the steering wheel with the lights/fogs on in D at a light. I like it. One other thing, I have to get something to support it down. This battery is shorter than the nissan one and the support braket won't hold it. The threads on the metal bars only go down like an inch or so. Ideas?

Mike S.
Old 11-03-2000, 09:27 AM
I'm needing a caw

You can maybe cut the two support brackets on the opposite side of the threaded side, then rebend the little "hook" at the end. But measure twice, cut once please.

Originally posted by Mike S.
Man....I dunno if my battery has just been weak for the last 2 years or if that the 1000 CCA's are doing it. Now my VG sounds just like a vq when it starts. The reason I say that is that the vg(path/max) alwasy sounded like the starter was slower than a vq. The vq sounds very....err....fast..the starter that is. Welp..anyway..I swear the starter runs double time now. I also...plase don't flame me...feel that the car is a little smoother....I SWEAR I dunno...it feels it tho. There is also slightly less vibes in the steering wheel with the lights/fogs on in D at a light. I like it. One other thing, I have to get something to support it down. This battery is shorter than the nissan one and the support braket won't hold it. The threads on the metal bars only go down like an inch or so. Ideas?

Mike S.
Old 11-03-2000, 09:30 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

go to home depo..either get some SS sleeves or nuts..slide a few on top of the bracket then bolt them down.
Dan

Originally posted by Mike S.

Mike S.
Old 11-03-2000, 11:27 AM
mrloyd

easiest fix would be to cut something the appropriate size to put under your new battery to raise it up. Then you won't have to cut anything.

Old 11-03-2000, 11:31 AM
I'm needing a caw

Ah not really a good idea. You want a heavy battery as low as possible and far as possible from a hood short(even though maximas have padding)

Originally posted by mrloyd
easiest fix would be to cut something the appropriate size to put under your new battery to raise it up. Then you won't have to cut anything.
Old 11-03-2000, 11:34 AM
mrloyd

yea but if you are only raising it up to the level of the previous unit, no hood problem, and so far as height due to center of grav? i don't this would make a difference. Anyway, most auto parts stores have battery bolt down kits that might have shorter bolts or maybe ones that are threaded longer.

Old 11-03-2000, 12:51 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

what?!?! why fab?? my idea is the easiest idea. since the threads of the tie down doesn't reach...here's what u do.
1. put the tie down on the battery
2. put the SS/alum (something that doesn't rust) sleeves or nuts (bigger than the thread but not bigger than the tie down nuts) on through the threads
3. tighten the nuts down that came w/ the battery.
EZ as that. besides whatever u mod your going have to have the weight of the battery on it. so u need something that's strong enough but semi weatherproof. too much hassles.
Dan

Originally posted by mrloyd
yea but if you are only raising it up to the level of the previous unit, no hood problem, and so far as height due to center of grav? i don't this would make a difference. Anyway, most auto parts stores have battery bolt down kits that might have shorter bolts or maybe ones that are threaded longer.