General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Bearing replacement question! Please read!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 12:02 PM

Bearing replacement question! Please read!

I just took apart my tranny, due to a leak in the axel seal. Numerous people have told me to replace the Input Shaft bearing.
Now the mechanic said that the bearing was fine, but the Differential Bearing was wearing out and causing the driveshaft to move and stretch the seal, as a resulat creating the leak.

Does this sound more less right? Any input?

PS
The dealership charged $80CA for the Differential Bearing.

I need some input before I go ahead and order it, I don't want to replace something that doesn't need replacement.!

Thank you!
Old 10-30-2001, 01:02 PM

Re: Bearing replacement question! Please read!

Originally posted by Riot^
I just took apart my tranny, due to a leak in the axel seal. Numerous people have told me to replace the Input Shaft bearing.
Now the mechanic said that the bearing was fine, but the Differential Bearing was wearing out and causing the driveshaft to move and stretch the seal, as a resulat creating the leak.

Does this sound more less right? Any input?

PS
The dealership charged $80CA for the Differential Bearing.

I need some input before I go ahead and order it, I don't want to replace something that doesn't need replacement.!

Thank you!
Well you can visually inspect the input shaft bearing. If the rollers and the outer race look smooth without chips or spalling then they're alright. Its the one thats on the same "stalk of gears" as the one the clutch goes on. If its alright then don't worry about it and don't adjust anything. While you're in there, might as well change the imput shaft seal, the gear selector seal and differential seals. Also check the gears and synchronizer mechanisms in addition to the bearings.

The differential bearings are the ones that are connected to the driveshafts. If the bearings are toasted, they will cause freeplay, which in turn will cause the seal to be destroyed and thereby causing a leak. I suggest changing BOTH differential bearings. MAKE SURE YOU CORRECTLY RESHIM the bearing preload!!!!! or you're gonna have the exact same problem down the road.

Also, when ordering parts, be sure you order the correct part. You may have a limited slip differential since you're in Canada. Does the differential look like the one on www.motorvate.ca or does it look like an "open" differential?
Old 10-30-2001, 03:02 PM

Re: Re: Bearing replacement question! Please read!

Originally posted by ericdwong

Well you can visually inspect the input shaft bearing. If the rollers and the outer race look smooth without chips or spalling then they're alright. Its the one thats on the same "stalk of gears" as the one the clutch goes on. If its alright then don't worry about it and don't adjust anything. While you're in there, might as well change the imput shaft seal, the gear selector seal and differential seals. Also check the gears and synchronizer mechanisms in addition to the bearings.

The differential bearings are the ones that are connected to the driveshafts. If the bearings are toasted, they will cause freeplay, which in turn will cause the seal to be destroyed and thereby causing a leak. I suggest changing BOTH differential bearings. MAKE SURE YOU CORRECTLY RESHIM the bearing preload!!!!! or you're gonna have the exact same problem down the road.

Also, when ordering parts, be sure you order the correct part. You may have a limited slip differential since you're in Canada. Does the differential look like the one on www.motorvate.ca or does it look like an "open" differential?
MAKE SURE YOU CORRECTLY RESHIM the bearing preload!!!!! or you're gonna have the exact same problem down the road.

can you elaborate?
Old 10-30-2001, 06:03 PM

It seems that it a common problem with the bearings in the 5spds while you have it out I would replace all the bearings depending on how long you wish to keep the car. I just did the same but my box sounded like i had a s/c.
Old 10-30-2001, 08:48 PM

seems ok

Originally posted by MR_Maxi
It seems that it a common problem with the bearings in the 5spds while you have it out I would replace all the bearings depending on how long you wish to keep the car. I just did the same but my box sounded like i had a s/c.
Well, the other bearings seem fine, and the clutch was at 60% left.
So for now I am only replaicing one of them.
We'll see what happenes.
Old 10-30-2001, 11:29 PM

Re: seems ok

Originally posted by Riot^

Well, the other bearings seem fine, and the clutch was at 60% left.
So for now I am only replaicing one of them.
We'll see what happenes.
Let me guess, the one thats towards the passenger side was toast right? I would replace both carrier bearings. I dunno what CA equivalent is, but I paid US$40 per bearing.

As for the bearing preload, you MUST get a dial caliper and measure the freeplay of the differential after you have taken out the existing shims. Then, according to the reading (do it many times to ensure accurate readings) use the chart in the FSM to determine which 2 shim sizes you need. This will cure the failed bearings problem.