General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

You guys might want to read this, Acura vs Nissan ->

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 11:19 PM

The Max is also available w/ a 5spd wheras the TL is still auto only and its hauling 400lb more than some Maximas. A lot of SUV's have over 260hp but that doesn't mean it has less hp than the Max. The new Max has increased hp but I really doubt its as big a difference as Nissan is making it out to be. The Sentra SE-R Spec V is already disappointing a lot of magazine testers in acceleration. Sport Compact hasn't been able to get more than 140hp out of the dyno which is below what even the old Integra GS-R puts down. Nobody knows how fast the new Max 6spd is supposed to be and its pointless to claim how great the Max is going to be when barely anybody has a 6spd yet. The 5th Gen Max isn't as big of a difference as Nissan makes it out to be from the 4th Gen. The 2002 has basically the same hp gains from the 4th to 5th Gen but you didn't see a second drop of the 60 times or much change in the quarter mile times from that change. This time the car is gaining less weight from the upgrades but the tall tranny remains an issue. In comparison, the TL has an auto w/ a final drive shorter than my Prelude's. That's where its good performance has come from in the 1st place. The new 6spd has 2 overdrive gears so that's not helping as much as it sounds. Nobody has driven a 6spd 2002 Max versus an Acura TL-S so its kind of a moot point to debate this crap. Its not even a fair comparison really especially if the Max gets a manual. Go auto vs. auto and I'm positive the TL will be faster marginally faster if the Max retains its horrendous 4spd auto. I have seen videos of a stock TL beating down a Type R's repeatedly and very few Maximas are able to claim that stock.

All this claiming the Max is better etc is pointless since most of you don't also own a TL/CL. There's at least one guy who has previously owned Maximas/I30 (BSK181 I just noticed has owned both). Maybe you guys should ask them what they think of the quality of both makes rather than blanket statements how the quality of Acuras suck.

BTW, the Acura isn't an import. It's made in Ohio alongside the Accord. The Camaro on the otherhand is an import from Canada.
Old 11-02-2001, 04:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: I agree !

Originally posted by Tri-lite
first off they're saying that max is faster by very little and thats 222 HPs vs 260HPs.... so are u going to go for the more expensive one with more hp but that is "slower"???.....

quality wise I think the max is just as good quality has acura they both last for ever... but the maxima got a one of the best V6 ratings in its cat.

now if we look into the futur the new 6 spd maxima with 255 hp's is coming out as we speak... and if the 222 hp max is just as fast as the 260 hp tl-s,then what do u the results are going to be when nissan's 255 hp vs acura's 260 hp ??? you make the math

concl. they're both awsome cars cuz they're imports and we got to support that ...

peace
The 190HP 4th gen 5 speed will give them a run too. Its funny when you see some of these threads about dissing Maximas. Most of the people don't know anything about the Maxima and they talk crap.
Old 11-02-2001, 06:30 AM

Re: Re: I agree !

Originally posted by deezo

The 190HP 4th gen 5 speed will give them a run too. Its funny when you see some of these threads about dissing Maximas. Most of the people don't know anything about the Maxima and they talk crap.
I know the Maxima extremely well and I'm willing to talk crap about it. I know for a fact that 4th Gen autos aren't as fast as TL/CL-S's. Shouldn't that be a fair comparison here? I mean you guys pick on automagic Maximas all day long yet when its another brand its ok to compare manuals to autos all in the name of competition. Until I start seeing more 14 second timeslips from stock 5th Gen automatic Max owners, I'm siding w/ the TL. Hell a lot of them are in the mid-lower 14's w/ bolt ons which is better than I can say for a lot of Max owners.

I know for a fact that the auto Prelude loses almost a full second versus the manual version. Many auto Max's lose almost that kind of time too. I've never seen a stock Max faster than a stock TL/CL and I doubt I will anytime soon unless Nissan dramatically updated the 4spd auto or shorted the new 6spd compared to its released specs. Wait for some manual CL's to come out and keep talking that trash. I've seen posts on this board where auto Max's have lost to Chevy Malibus yet a car that's tested to run low 6's and high 14's is a big POS any Max can beat.

The fact that the car isn't quite as fast as it could be doesn't make its 260 hp any less than what it is. It's also hooked up through an auto tranny and heavy 17" wheels. The TL can also weigh almost 400lb more than a lot of 5th Gen Max's.

BTW, I've noticed nobody on this board pays any attention to me since I'm just a lowly Prelude driver and I couldn't possibly know jack about the Maxima since I chose another car. I might just have to use some old pics of Shadow's car and come back on as a new user and add to the dissention on this board. Who knows maybe I already have.