General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Quaife: First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2001, 06:55 PM

Quaife: First Impressions

Just installed Place engine mounts, JWT Stage II Clutch, Stillen aluminum flywheel, and the new Cattman/Quaife ATB Differential. Took the Mighty Maxima for a spin, and... WOW! The Quaife is outstanding. My Maxima chews up curves and spits them out. No tire squalling. No slipping. The car just pulls itself around the curves, and launches itself out the other side. What an amazing transformation.

The mounts work as advertised. No more bunny-hopping. I feel a tad bit more vibration at idle, but it's not excessive. I probably will not notice it after a couple days.

The clutch and flywheel are going to take some getting used to. I'll have to forget about feathery smooth starts for a while, at least until I figure out the new set-up. I got a little chatter on start up. And the shifter feels stiff. But when the clutch grabs, it GRABS. No slipping, thank you very much.

Does the car feel quicker? My butt dyno indicates yes, especially around the twisties! Was it worth it? H*** yes! Now it's time to rape and plunder... Muwahahahaha!
Old 11-02-2001, 08:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Quaife: First Impressions

Originally posted by bullseye
Just installed Place engine mounts, JWT Stage II Clutch, Stillen aluminum flywheel, and the new Cattman/Quaife ATB Differential. Took the Mighty Maxima for a spin, and... WOW! The Quaife is outstanding. My Maxima chews up curves and spits them out. No tire squalling. No slipping. The car just pulls itself around the curves, and launches itself out the other side. What an amazing transformation.

The mounts work as advertised. No more bunny-hopping. I feel a tad bit more vibration at idle, but it's not excessive. I probably will not notice it after a couple days.

The clutch and flywheel are going to take some getting used to. I'll have to forget about feathery smooth starts for a while, at least until I figure out the new set-up. I got a little chatter on start up. And the shifter feels stiff. But when the clutch grabs, it GRABS. No slipping, thank you very much.

Does the car feel quicker? My butt dyno indicates yes, especially around the twisties! Was it worth it? H*** yes! Now it's time to rape and plunder... Muwahahahaha!
Ohh jeez, I really hope you are braking your clutch in and not abusing it. If you push the clutch at all during break in you will get clutch chatter.
Old 11-02-2001, 08:10 PM

Now i got to ask you....Did you do these mods yourself or have a shop do it?
Old 11-02-2001, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shu
Now i got to ask you....Did you do these mods yourself or have a shop do it?
I'm not abusing the clutch. I plan to take it easy for at least the first 500 miles. With the new clutch, there's not much middle ground. It's either "on" or "off" with it so far. That's why I'm getting a little chatter on start up. I lift-throttle on the up-shifts, and I match-revs on down-shifts. Shifting while I'm underway has not been a problem. I have driven a stick for over 25 years, and I never wore-out a clutch until I started racing... Thank you for your concern!

Did I do it myself? No. I do not have the facilities, tools, know-how, patience, nor TIME to have done-it-myself on this project. My hobby as it relates to the car is centered more on driving at this point than turning wrenches. But I'm learning and gaining confidence as I go. My car is in great mechanical condition, and I keep it well-maintained. I have learned a lot from my mechanic, friends, and especially the folks on this forum. Thanks for all your input.
Old 11-02-2001, 11:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm not abusing the clutch. I plan to take it easy for at least the first 500 miles. With the new clutch, there's not much middle ground. It's either "on" or "off" with it so far. That's why I'm getting a little chatter on start up. I lift-throttle on the up-shifts, and I match-revs on down-shifts. Shifting while I'm underway has not been a problem. I have driven a stick for over 25 years, and I never wore-out a clutch until I started racing... Thank you for your concern!

Did I do it myself? No. I do not have the facilities, tools, know-how, patience, nor TIME to have done-it-myself on this project. My hobby as it relates to the car is centered more on driving at this point than turning wrenches. But I'm learning and gaining confidence as I go. My car is in great mechanical condition, and I keep it well-maintained. I have learned a lot from my mechanic, friends, and especially the folks on this forum. Thanks for all your input.
Cool, I just wanted to make sure, I have learned the hard way to many times.
Old 11-03-2001, 05:00 AM

Thanks again. Let us know how you like the new 6-speed, OK? What color are you getting? Accessories? Does it have the helical LSD?
Take care.
Old 11-03-2001, 05:24 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: Quaife: First Impressions

i didnt know jwt made a clutch for our cars. whats the tourqe rating on it?
Old 11-03-2001, 05:34 AM

Re: Re: Quaife: First Impressions

Originally posted by nismo2020

i didnt know jwt made a clutch for our cars. whats the tourqe rating on it?
Sorry, I don't recall. I got it from Cattman Performance at [URL=http://cattman.com] if you wish to follow-up. Or JWT would know, of course. I bet there is someone out there reading this who knows what the exact torque rating is, and may post it soon...