General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Will you always own a maxima?

Old 07-28-2008, 06:24 PM

Will you always own a maxima?

Sorry for the long post...cliff notes... I love my maxima and plan on keeping her forever. Also owning as many nissans as possible. Will you always keep your maxima for as long as you drive? Will you stay with the nissan brand?

First I want to say I've been on this forum since 01 but haven't said much, just lurked. Now I have a question about my next car to buy. I though a few years ago that I would always stay with Nissan. I've owned a stanza and two maxima's. I remember test driving an 03 maxima and was pleased. But I passed and stayed with my 4th gen. Lately I haven't liked where the maxima had been going (ie:auto). Also my brother got a WRX so I started thinking about Subaru, I mean I do live in VT and everyone here drives one. I started looking at other forums. I then started going to dealerships and test drove an 05 sti and thought that it was an amazing car but I passed. I keep looking and found myself back at Nissan. I was looking through the lot and found a base 08 350z. I drove it and fell in love with Nissan all over again. I can't describe how much more I liked it over the sti and other cars I had driven. So as of now I plan to keep my 4th gen maxima and possibly get a 350z. Staying true to Nissan the way I felt years ago. I know I can't drive the z in the winter so I will get a beater. How do you guys fell about your maxima would you trade it in and jump ship to another brand or stay with nissan?

Last edited by VTMaxima; 08-05-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by VTMaxima
How do you guys fell about your maxima would you trade it in and jump ship to another brand or stay with nissan?
I think my Maxima looks like a used bar of soap. I definitely am not impressed with the design of my 4th gen. But...it's been a GOOD car, over 240K on it now and a swap under the hood. I have been quite impressed with the power and efficiency of the VQ30 and VQ35. So, I would definitely put Nissan high up on my list if I need to buy a new V6 car. But, I could possibly choose a Honda, which has always been my long time favorite.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:44 PM

i will always keep my maxima, I have had it ever since I started driving and plan on keeping it my whole life... just gotta keep up on the maintenance and I'll be alright.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by made in china
I think my Maxima looks like a used bar of soap. I definitely am not impressed with the design of my 4th gen. But...it's been a GOOD car, over 240K on it now and a swap under the hood. I have been quite impressed with the power and efficiency of the VQ30 and VQ35. So, I would definitely put Nissan high up on my list if I need to buy a new V6 car. But, I could possibly choose a Honda, which has always been my long time favorite.
My nissans were always good to me. Anything that broke was usally my fault. I have 125k on my maxima, 70k from me. I stored my maxima for the winter it started right up this spring. I did put stable in the gas and charged the battery. I don't know what it is, I'm just drawn to nissan. But I like all kinds of cars, I just would rather drive a nissan.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Blackmax1924
i will always keep my maxima, I have had it ever since I started driving and plan on keeping it my whole life... just gotta keep up on the maintenance and I'll be alright.
That's how I feel about my 4th gen. I brought it to Nissan and told them to fix whatever was needed $5k later I have a great running 4th gen. It needed a lot of work! I have too much money in my maxima I would never feel right to sell her. I just plan on spending more money on her. Some day I would love to totally dismantle her and rebuild her from the bottom up.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:54 PM

If it keeps giving me the excellent mileage that I have gotten recently, then I will have no reason to sell my 5th gen. I will never sell my 2nd gen, even if it means it will sit around for a while and only be driven to certain meets.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:02 PM
I love lamp.

I have had 3 maxima's now. I imagine that I will always have at least one, or some form of Nissan product. I've honestly thought about the 7th gen when it comes out in diesel form too.

S
Old 07-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

sorry, but this is a pretty weird question.
I get what you are asking, but I dont know what I will be doing next week, much less in 5+ years. do I love maximas? l like mine, now. will I always love a maxima? maybe. does that mean I will always own one?

time will tell
Old 07-28-2008, 07:27 PM

I love mine. Too much probably. But I've always longed for an M3. And truthfully this is my first import. Definately won't be my last. I've always liked nissans. I'll move up, (probably sooner rather than later) but there's no plans to sell the Max. There are plans however, to paint it this winter. Will I always have it? Probably not forever, but for awhile. I am absolutely in love with the new 09's though. So maybe another one is in my future even after my 4th gen is gone
Old 07-28-2008, 08:39 PM
KH3 by popular demand

If not a maxima then definitely something with a vq .
Old 07-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Turbo'd Saab

well its not worth it to sell anymore, especially once finished. So yes this car will always be mine
Old 07-29-2008, 09:37 AM

I've been around here since I think 1997, so I'm an old dog....got my 98 SE new, seen people come and go, even got criticized for liking German cars. I will admit this 98 SE will probably be my first and only Maxima, but that still says something. Nearly 11 years on the road, never failed to start once. Nowadays my wife drives it about 50%, and I drive the BMW 335 (still remember that clown telling me why don't you get a BMW since you love them so much, then he posts how he was looking at some used 325 or something) when not with the Max. It doesn't really matter if BMW is or was a dirty word on this forum, heck, I've had that nearly 2 years so it doesn't really matter anymore.

The one thing I'll say about the Maxima is that for all its shortcomings, it makes up for them with its low cost of operation and ownership. When you can roll up your sleeves, and do all 4 brakes (pads/rotors) with OEM for around $330, what more needs to be said? It's a good reliable car and who cares about resale as long as you keep it and roll on forever!
Old 07-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Hell yeah. I hope to keep my 99 Max for a very, very long time. Recently, I picked up a second 4th gen and have plans for it as well.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by maximase86
I have had 3 maxima's now. I imagine that I will always have at least one, or some form of Nissan product. I've honestly thought about the 7th gen when it comes out in diesel form too.

S
looks like me and u got a lil competition goin on here
Old 07-30-2008, 01:21 PM

Nismo 4life
Old 07-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mmg23max
Nismo 4life
LOL. I believe Nismo doesn't make one single thing specific for Maximas.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:52 PM

This week I read two reviews on the 7th gen, how disappointing Maximas seem to become as the years go buy. At over 38k, who in their right mind would buy a new Maxima?
Old 07-31-2008, 03:03 PM
dot dot dot ...

Maximas SUCK.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Maximas SUCK.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:26 PM

post #11 is hilarious, lmao
Old 07-31-2008, 05:04 PM

well it took me like 4 years to find another 2nd gen, so I will be keeping it as long as possible (the rest of my life) even if it means doing major work to make it run on something other then gas like E100 and me making my own gas (already planing that). other then looking into a 1980 200sx that I found around town for a 2nd car (need to make more monies)

but yea Nissan unless I have no choice
Old 07-31-2008, 06:09 PM

will i keep this i30/maxima for ever? most likely not...but when im married and have kids and time to grow up and get a safe reliable but yet fun to drive car maxima will be on top unless i become filthy rich then a m5,s600 or maserati. lol

but my love for maximas will never go away.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:15 PM
3.5 in the works

No plans to ever sell mine, it's still in near mint condition, never sees winter and is highly modified and getting ever more so all the time as I work towards my ultimate plan/setup for it... with all the sweat and money I've put into this car it's a keeper. At some point I will move on to a RWD platform but I have no plans to ever sell the Max.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i had one and had to sell it. I might be looking to get into a 09 though. always been a fan
Old 08-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've owned 3 Maximas (96,00,03) and while I loved them at those periods in my life, I've out grown the cars and eventually the brand. Will I ever own a Maxima again? I would say it is highly unlikely. Unless Nissan decides to make the Maxima RWD again. But I still lurk around the forum because I still like Nissan. Lets hope they don't drop the Maxima brand.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:14 PM
jojo98maxima

ill keep my 97GLE forever i will never sell this car looking to get a 2003 GLE maxima

so to answer ur question yes i will always own a nissan maxima

Old 08-01-2008, 07:01 PM
retired moderator

I won't own another Maxima unless they get back to the sporty roots (and looks) and get a manual tranny.

Based on the build quality of my maxima compared to other cars I've owned, I don't plan to buy another Nissan of any kind when I get rid of the Maxima. The VQ30 has been a great engine...Nissan knows how to build a good engine....but can't say I've ever been impressed with 'the rest' of any Nissan cars.

When we were looking at SUVs, we checked out the new Pathfinder but got a 4Runner instead for about the same money...the 4Runner was so much nicer in almost every way, honestly.

Also I think all of Nissan's interior and exterior designers should be fired. They have an entire lineup of ugly cars these days, and I hate the spaceship-looking interiors.....

There is a good reason why Nissan is Japan's #3 (or 4?) automaker. Honda and Toyota just build better, more appealing cars.

Also the complete lack of any resale value is a downer for Nissan cars as well.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Whatever you do don't buy an (?06) sti unless you like cracked pistons, or an '05 (track & 35 ae only) or '06 6-mt Z unless you like replacing rings.

Why can't you drive the Z in the winter? To *****?
Old 08-02-2008, 12:26 AM
SHIFT_In2D

It was my first car, and I really do plan on keeping her for the long run now that I've spent time and effort on getting her to look good. Just got a 300zx, but still feel attached to her and just that getting in the car feels comfortable. Either way I'll always stay in the Nissan family.

Last edited by Jess; 08-02-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:43 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

Why would you? After the 5th gen they look like crap. There so many better cars to buy in that price range that are german, and dont look like pOOp.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:28 PM

My 95 and my wife's 96 are both in great running order. We plan to drive them until they die because: 1) currently we don't have extra money to get a new car, 2) they are paid off and that keeps expenses down, 3) they still look and drive great and 4) we enjoy driving them. When that day comes to get a new car, we'll consider a newer maxima. I can't say my wife would get another one, but I probably would. I love my car and the great VQ engine.

David
Old 08-02-2008, 07:20 PM

will i keep mine? yes. ive been around maximas since the 2nd gen (85 model) its been the ONLY car i would drive ever since. my kids have seen me go from a 92 se to 2 98 se's, the wife thinks im nuts but the more she sees my car the more she wants mods on her's. i got my 98 in 02 at 36k she has 214k on her now. thats almost 30+k miles a year. ill keep driving maxima's until they stop making them and all the parts bins and junkyards are picked clean.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by KLOOGY
Why would you? After the 5th gen they look like crap. There so many better cars to buy in that price range that are german, and dont look like pOOp.
What's hilarious is that when the 4th gen came out in late '94, it was bad-a**. I remember this guy in b-school had one, and people joked asking him how he got it, dealing? It was an "in" car. Today, it doesn't command much respect anymore, looks outdated. I got into it with a new Sonata V6 and the guy toasted me. When I'm driving my other car, I could drive like a pansy and nobody seems to mess with me. It's nice to have a good experience with something, but sometimes it's also good to see what else is happening out there. Variety is the spice of life they say.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:04 AM
You embarrass me.

I'll probably keep it till the wheels fall off, then just put them back on.

I love the car, and it wouldn't be worth it to sell it when I'm ready for a newer car. I'll just keep it around if I can.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:22 AM
No More Maxipad

this is my first nissan and probably my last. maybe it's just mine but it's getting horrible gas mileage and so much vibration and interior noise. i've been driving my dad's 1998 ford explorer for the past couple days while my car is at the shop...and the explorer has far less road/interior noise...not even a rattle. just feels so calm driving it. but i do like the look of my 5.5gen and the power. but i think i'm ready for something that's better on gas and that has a lot smoother ride. maybe in the future i might get back to nissan if they have something nice.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:33 AM

probly get rid of it and move on. pretty tired of trying to race with a FWD.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Banned

HELL NO!!!!

actually i may always own this one and just garage it and keep it for my kid but in reality it'll be gone in a year or two most likely for something that's actually fun to drive...
Old 08-04-2008, 10:36 PM

Definitely not. This is just the car that is suppose to make it through college. After that I'll be looking for something else.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:45 PM

I'll prolly always have one.Can't see myself driving anything else.....
Old 08-05-2008, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Whatever you do don't buy an (?06) sti unless you like cracked pistons, or an '05 (track & 35 ae only) or '06 6-mt Z unless you like replacing rings.

Why can't you drive the Z in the winter? To *****?
The Z I test drove was an 08 base model. If I were to buy a z it would be an 08-09 and not the base model. I've read on the 350z forums that some of the older ones have some kinks, well maybe a little worse then a kink. Anyway I live in VT so I wouldn't want to ruin my z in the salty winter so if that makes me a ***** so be it. I would just rather drive my dads truck 08 ford f-450 dually. I work for him so I can use it. Anyway I plan on keeping my max for the long run and putting more money into her.

Last edited by VTMaxima; 08-05-2008 at 08:10 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will you always own a maxima?