General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I really need advice about my car's starting problems! Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 08:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I really need advice about my car's starting problems! Please!!

Heres the story, my car is a 95 5spd with 103K miles. At 100k I had a Nissan oem clutch installed. That very same day my car began having starter problems and the problem is getting worse and worse. It seemes my horrible mechanic screwed something up when he installed my clutch. When I go to start my car it will just crank and crank, sometimes it will back fire and I also here what sounds like my engine mount banging my headers. Some times the car starts up almost perfectly, usually if I let the car sit for several hours it will start right up, but if I try to start it up after just driving it I run in to problems. Heres a list of parts I either purchased or swapped from my I30 onto my max.

2 starters, 2 Crank shaft position sensors, another CPS located below crank pulley, both engine coolant sensors, CPS wire harness, cleaned my ground wiress, camshaft Positon sensor, removed and cleaned TB, removed and cleaned my IACValve, changed all 6 coils and replced my starter relay. For the hell of it I also did a compression test and got bewtween 170-173 across the board. I also checked my flywheel and starter's teeth and they are all fine.

Does any one have a clue or any idea what may be to blame here? Manely what could my mechanic have possibly messed up when installing my clutch? I have pretty much run out of ideas at this point, I guess the next thing I will do is a fuel pressure test. Please help if you know anything at all, thanks so much!
Old 11-07-2001, 12:23 AM

Old 11-07-2001, 08:47 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

...and once you get it started it runs fine, correct?
Old 11-07-2001, 09:55 AM

sell the car as is, your gettina 2002 max anyways!
Old 11-07-2001, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by ejj5875
...and once you get it started it runs fine, correct?
It runs great once it is started, tons of power and a nice smooth idel.

Anthony, I would get shafted if I tried to sell the car as is .
Old 11-07-2001, 02:45 PM

Does anyone think that the EGR system could in any way cause these symptoms?, because I have almost the exact same problem, and the EGR is one of the only things I havent tested/replaced yet.
Old 11-07-2001, 05:08 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Exhaust eh? well. that might count for the backfire, but for for the starting.

this problem sucks hardcore.. but it ONLY happened when i swapped out the flywheel and clutch... and i know for sure the teeth on the flywheel are correctly lined up.

i notice its easier for me to turn the car in to the "ON" position, wait a few seconds, and then turn the key. 90% of the time it turns over.. but im thinkin it might be an injector problem because it only happens during start, and if its not the starter, not the fly, not the Crank sensor, then the only thing else is maybe
1) plugs
2) the battery
3) injector leak...

so. i'm going to talk to my mechanic as soon as midterms are over...

dont worry. we'll get thru this..

--Cheston

Originally posted by CoOlKidS1979
Does anyone think that the EGR system could in any way cause these symptoms?, because I have almost the exact same problem, and the EGR is one of the only things I havent tested/replaced yet.
Old 11-07-2001, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by Chebosto
Exhaust eh? well. that might count for the backfire, but for for the starting.

this problem sucks hardcore.. but it ONLY happened when i swapped out the flywheel and clutch... and i know for sure the teeth on the flywheel are correctly lined up.

i notice its easier for me to turn the car in to the "ON" position, wait a few seconds, and then turn the key. 90% of the time it turns over.. but im thinkin it might be an injector problem because it only happens during start, and if its not the starter, not the fly, not the Crank sensor, then the only thing else is maybe
1) plugs
2) the battery
3) injector leak...

so. i'm going to talk to my mechanic as soon as midterms are over...

dont worry. we'll get thru this..

--Cheston

I sure hope so!
If the injectors are leaking do you think we would just have to change the injector gaskets? I may try this soon.
Old 11-07-2001, 06:23 PM

So the both you have the same exact problems after changing the clutch? Now that is odd. I wonder if it is really related to the changing of the clutch, or just a coincidence. I will be pulling the injectors as soon I get a beater car to drive for the winter, I hope that it solves the problem because its a pain to get those injectors out of there, but I wanted to get the intake manifold powder coated anyways.
Old 11-07-2001, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by CoOlKidS1979
So the both you have the same exact problems after changing the clutch? Now that is odd. I wonder if it is really related to the changing of the clutch, or just a coincidence. I will be pulling the injectors as soon I get a beater car to drive for the winter, I hope that it solves the problem because its a pain to get those injectors out of there, but I wanted to get the intake manifold powder coated anyways.
Ya, it should not be to hard, all you really need to do is remove the intake manifold, fuel rails and then the injectors. The only part I don't like is I will have to get 11 new gaskets! I may do this tomarrow because I have to take my headers ofdf and this will make it easier.

FYI,Me and Cheston both got the same problem when we installed a new clutch. I think it is more then a coincidence. Also, I have a hard time believing my fuel injectors got some how damaged when my clutch is installed, the two have nothing to do with each other.

Another thing is if only one injector is not operating properly the car should still start fine, I meen the car can operate on only 5 cylinders so if one fuel injector is messed up I don't see how it would affect the car's starting system. Then again if a fuel injector is leaking{like you guys said} the fuel pressure will be absent on start up, the only thing is my car seems to have plenty of fuel pressure, I have also done the turn key 4 seconds, stop X's 3 method and it does not help at all.

I actually supect my car is running lean because when I pump the gas on start up the car tends to start easier. In case you did not know when you pump the gas upon start up on a fuel injected car it will only add air to the system, not gas. Maybe the EGR is to blame then? If I get a chance tomarrow I will swap my EGR valve from my I30 to maxima.

One last thing, I went to NAPA, Autozone and pepboys today in search of a fuel pressire gauge, none of the stores had one though? WTH!
Old 11-08-2001, 12:04 AM

One last try, anyone have any idea's at all?
Old 11-08-2001, 12:04 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

hmm... as far as fuel pressure, my fuel pressure at start is around 36 psi-39psi. which is normal persay.. i think i put my sender a little close to a bend inthe line so its a little higher than normal..

yea. when i give it a little pedal, the car starts, so maybe the car is running too lean (?) as u would say.

ima gonna try resetting the ecu, just for the helluvit, i haven't done that since my clutch install.

but hell. the car gets me to point a to b. just the starting it sucks..

(all my friends keep sayin "its a race car! it needs a drill starter." .. bastids. )
Old 11-08-2001, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by Chebosto
hmm... as far as fuel pressure, my fuel pressure at start is around 36 psi-39psi. which is normal persay.. i think i put my sender a little close to a bend inthe line so its a little higher than normal..

yea. when i give it a little pedal, the car starts, so maybe the car is running too lean (?) as u would say.

ima gonna try resetting the ecu, just for the helluvit, i haven't done that since my clutch install.

but hell. the car gets me to point a to b. just the starting it sucks..

(all my friends keep sayin "its a race car! it needs a drill starter." .. bastids. )
My max is on the verge of leaving me stranded, the problem is really bad!
Old 11-08-2001, 01:05 PM

I really think I just fixed my car finally! I changed my fuel filter and the car is way quicker and has now startet 110%, perfectly 5 times in a row! The car would never in a million years have started up pefectly 5 times in a row like this, if I was lucky the car would start up pretty good maybe once a day before. Futher more my fuel filter was filled with dark, dark brown almost black crap, so it was definatly cloged up! This just made my day! I highly recommend you 2 replace your fuel filter even if it's only been on a short time. I will update you guy's later on in the day to confirm that my car is still all better! There is a maxima GOD!!
Old 11-08-2001, 09:00 PM

Update: I put a good 70 miles on my max today and I have started it about 20 times, each time the car started perfectly. I think at this point it is a safe to say the problem is truely gone! I suggest you both change your fuel filter too, let me know the results and good luck