General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Radar Detector Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 03:34 PM

Radar Detector Help

I have a passport 7500 but i don't have a cord for it. My question is i read someone's post on here where they took a phone line and spliced it into a hot wire in the car. Does anyone have any idea what I'm taking about? thanks!
Old 08-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Banned

uhhh goto radioshack and bring it with you and bring 20 bucks. you obviously don't know enough to wire it yourself.

/thread
Old 08-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

yes, and no. I dont know why anyone would use phone cord, seems unsafe.

hopefully your detector has some symbol like the one on this adapter
http://www.laaudiofile.com/images/hiwirez_ps.jpg
the diagram with the - and + symbols, above "china"
- and + may be reversed. the picture I linked to has a positive center, or tip, and negative ring

go to radioshack, and get them to give you a connector that has interchangable tips (like the ones that fit the universal power adapters) as well as the wire adapter for it (short piece of wires, or pigtails, with the end that fits the tip's prongs. has a solid and a striped wire.) OR if you want to get one that solders to wire that fits, you can get that, instead.
also get some 20g wire (speaker wire is fine, as long as you can tell which wire is which for pos and neg), and an inline fuse holder along with a 2amp fuse (3ag, or the tube glass kind)

now find something that gives power whenever you want it. stereo or cig are good choices.

hook up the wire with the tip with solder and electrical tape or shrink tube (tape is fine, but the shrink tube makes it prettier(?)), remembering which wire is which.

tap into the power with the positive side (the solid color from the first wire I mentioned),putting the fuse inline with this wire. make it easy to get to, if needed, but out of the way.

ground the other wire(the striped one) on an appropriate place.

test the setup, and once everything is working, mount the detector where you want it, hide the wires and have fun! (er, I mean, pay more attention to the speed limit! lol)
Old 08-03-2008, 06:22 PM

People do use phone lines. Check out this site. It may have the information you are looking for...

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/
Old 08-04-2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
yes, and no. I dont know why anyone would use phone cord, seems unsafe.

hopefully your detector has some symbol like the one on this adapter
http://www.laaudiofile.com/images/hiwirez_ps.jpg
the diagram with the - and + symbols, above "china"
- and + may be reversed. the picture I linked to has a positive center, or tip, and negative ring

go to radioshack, and get them to give you a connector that has interchangable tips (like the ones that fit the universal power adapters) as well as the wire adapter for it (short piece of wires, or pigtails, with the end that fits the tip's prongs. has a solid and a striped wire.) OR if you want to get one that solders to wire that fits, you can get that, instead.
also get some 20g wire (speaker wire is fine, as long as you can tell which wire is which for pos and neg), and an inline fuse holder along with a 2amp fuse (3ag, or the tube glass kind)

now find something that gives power whenever you want it. stereo or cig are good choices.

hook up the wire with the tip with solder and electrical tape or shrink tube (tape is fine, but the shrink tube makes it prettier(?)), remembering which wire is which.

tap into the power with the positive side (the solid color from the first wire I mentioned),putting the fuse inline with this wire. make it easy to get to, if needed, but out of the way.

ground the other wire(the striped one) on an appropriate place.

test the setup, and once everything is working, mount the detector where you want it, hide the wires and have fun! (er, I mean, pay more attention to the speed limit! lol)
Originally Posted by sascuderi
People do use phone lines. Check out this site. It may have the information you are looking for...

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/
Originally Posted by Torgus
uhhh goto radioshack and bring it with you and bring 20 bucks. you obviously don't know enough to wire it yourself.

/thread
Thanks guys, you saved me a lot of typing.

I'm also a member of radardetector.net if you register and have any questions about radar detectors just shoot me a pm and I'll answer them the best I can.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:47 AM

thanks guys for the help!