General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

RULES TO DEALING WITH MECHANICS???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:22 PM

RULES TO DEALING WITH MECHANICS???

Hey, just want to start a fun topic and maybe educational as well, as to rules on dealing with a mechanic that will be working on YOUR car.

1.warranty on the part is a must.
2. warranty on service as well.
3. Having the mechanic test drive or verify that all other parts on the car are functioing correctly, IN WRITING. (i would think this is a must before they screw something els up and blame it on you somehow)
4. Description of exact problem. and what was done to fix.

I usually try dealing with things this way, im sure i **** alot of mechanics off but its my car and my money.. they have nothing to lose by screwing me over..

WHAT ARE SOME OTHER RULES?

Last edited by dewd; 10-01-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by dewd
Hey, just want to start a fun topic and maybe educational as well, as to rules on dealing with a mechanic that will be working on YOUR car.

1.warranty on the part is a must.
2. warranty on service as well.
3. Having the mechanic test drive or verify that all other parts on the car are functioing correctly, IN WRITING. (i would think this is a must before they screw something els up and blame it on you somehow)
4. Description of exact problem. and what was done to fix.

I usually try dealing with things this way, im sure i **** alot of mechanics off but its my car and my money.. they have nothing to lose by screwing me over..

Do not deal with them. Lame, but works . I understand that theoretically there're good mechanics out there but I haven't met one yet.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:09 AM
Cletus

only one rule - use common sense
Old 10-02-2008, 04:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
the best advise you can get. Most people get screwed over because they let them selves get screwed over. (most not all the time though).

I live by...if it sounds too good to be true, its probably not good.

p.s. there are still pleanty of good people out there in all different fields, including mechanics, its just a matter of finding them.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:07 PM

I have been finding out what probably is the problem by researching here. I go to the mechanic with the engine codes and the paperwork (TSB, etc) so he knows that I did my homework. In the event that something is wrong, I can at least find out what kind of character the mechanic has. I dont mind spending the money, I mind getting raped.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:15 PM

i'd say that umm.... if you do go through those steps yet you still end up getting screwed somehow... you ARE allowed to give them a swift punch in the throat..... and if they have a problem with that.... send them to me.. and I'll punch them in the throat... lol.

we all take our car stuff very seriously and may God help the poor soul that screws our **** up... lol.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:50 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by SoonerFan

You should sign a work order contract or good faith estimate, it's actually the law. Read the estimate, including the fine print!

If you go into the shop with the attitude that "you know it all", expect the same treatment back. There's a reason you're bringing the car to them, usually it's because you cannot fix it yourself. Don't try to tell them how to fix it, let them do the job you contracted them to do.

Read my first statement again.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:38 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd

You should sign a work order contract or good faith estimate, it's actually the law. Read the estimate, including the fine print!

If you go into the shop with the attitude that "you know it all", expect the same treatment back. There's a reason you're bringing the car to them, usually it's because you cannot fix it yourself. Don't try to tell them how to fix it, let them do the job you contracted them to do.

Read my first statement again.
Damn skippy.
Remember, THESE GUYS ARE THE PROFESSIONALS. THEY ARE FIXING THE CAR, not you.
Don't walk in the door and say "my starter is bad. change it."
walk in and say "My car is having a problem with intermittent starting. I think it's the starter solenoid, but take a look and see what you find."

The big key is to find a good mechanic and don't be a **** to them. **** them off and you'll never get it done at the right price.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:35 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Rule #1-don't go to this body shop: http://my350z.com/forum/lounge-off-t...0z-ruined.html

I found a really good independent shop that specializes in Japanese cars back when I had my Accord. He has always fixed my car in a timely manner (he knows I am a detailer and rainy days are best for me for repairs) and right the first time. Reasonable labor rate too.

One thing you can do to make sure they can't screw you over is to learn as much about your car as possible and when letting them know what is wrong, be very specific about the issues. Does it happen all the time? Only when hot? Only when cold? In gear? Out of gear? The more you can do to help your mechanic zero in on the symptoms quickly, the less labor he/she is likely to charge you.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:09 PM

If you give the green light for something to be replaced - demand the old parts back as well.
They will always ring you and say "this needs replacing, badly"....its funny when they ring up about something you KNOW is fine and recently replaced, you tell them its bull**** and if they touch it, you'll touch them....violently....they seem to be real polite and give you a discount on quoted price and everything when you go back there.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:19 PM

1.warranty on the part is a must. (Agreed)
2. warranty on service as well. (Agreed)
3. Having the mechanic test drive or verify that all other parts on the car are functioing correctly, IN WRITING. (i would think this is a must before they screw something els up and blame it on you somehow) (OK, so quick question, if I'm doing a y-pipe install for you, and a bolt snaps off inside the rear manifold upon removal, do I put it togethor with a leak or bill you out for the labor to fix it properly?)
4. Description of exact problem. and what was done to fix. (Agreed)

"they have nothing to lose by screwing me over.." Disagree, they have alot to lose. Word of mouth my friend. I'm actually reading a good book along the lines of marketing without advertising, the main focus is on offering an exceptional service and experience that will get people talking, at the beginiing it talks about how 1 in 10 people will mention positive experiences, and 1 in 2 people with a bad experience will tell people about that bad experience. Just look through the dealership experience thread and you can see this perfectly. Can you imagine if everytime I hooked somebody up they started a positive feedback thread? I had some chick come down from Boston today because her car was rattling, I cut off the broken exhaust hanger (that one in the middle there that likes to rust off) and welded a new one on, took me 20 minutes tops, most of which was spent gathering tools & welding supplies, so I told her she was all set and refused to accept any $$, do you think she's going to start a feedback thread? Now what about if I charged her $200 and told her I had to replace all of the exhaust bearings?

Auto repair has a high failure, or complication rate, however you want to look at it, so this inherently makes it appear that there is way more bad than good because of that willingness to tell people about a bad experience over a good one.

Oooh, ooooh, here's a good one, I get a feedback thread started against me because nissan was backordered on the trannsmission shims I needed to do the job properly! Yet where's the thread from the guy from connecticut who dropped his car off along with a $500 deposit for getting the engine replaced, next day he picked it up and got his deposit back because I called him right up and said "It's your alternator". You don't think a de-k swap would have padded my wallet a little nicer than replacing an alternator and a bent lower oil pan?

Tell them you pay cash, cash is always nice

Don't be a ****.

Just be aware that there are valid reasons why 1: Using customer supplied parts can be a nightmare for us, and 2: we charge a mark-up on parts.

Also, christmas gifts are nice, I got two last christmas from different customers, do you have any idea how much I hooked them up afterwards? ALOT! That '02vi swap I did, yeah that was probably like $6/hr labor rate after all was said and done.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Niccos89
If you give the green light for something to be replaced - demand the old parts back as well.
They will always ring you and say "this needs replacing, badly"....its funny when they ring up about something you KNOW is fine and recently replaced, you tell them its bull**** and if they touch it, you'll touch them....violently....they seem to be real polite and give you a discount on quoted price and everything when you go back there.
This is what p!sses me off - why should I play this game? Rethorical question, I know the answer but something is basically wrong here, where is competition for God's sake? Why good shops like in the post #9 are almost extinct and bad ones are in abundance? I realize that this is money driven business but why do they have to try some scum on us almost every time? Ah, screw it.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

Pay in cash. They'll give you a discount.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Wow, I'd like you to work on my car - at least you seem to have decency. This is what actually matters. No formal set of rules can enforce it. Price to be charged - it's up to your judgement. I also recently welded hanger on my friend's car because he was told 'it is not fixable' by mechanic (!). I was young once and was inexperienced and worked in service and made mistakes and I never screwed my customers. Unfortunately, there were others who did everything possible in opposite. Funny thing - they even didn't make more money let alone publicity. I had bad customers too, and it hurt but I learnt not to take it personally. After all 99% were decent people. Good luck with your business!
Old 10-04-2008, 04:55 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Rule #1-don't go to this body shop: http://my350z.com/forum/lounge-off-t...0z-ruined.html
Oh my god, that poor Z.

I worked at a body shop for 2 years and I can honestly say that that looks like it was done by a kid in a garage with rattle cans.

He can definately sue the shop, they clearly ruined that car.
Judge Judy shoule get involved.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:13 AM

Thanks Max_5, I'm sending you a pm with an interesting story about the 1%.

WOW at the hackjob on that Z! Are you serious?? F a kid with rattle cans, I could have done better when I was 12 with a rattle can, that sucks. From reading the AIM conversations it's like "Is this for real"
Old 10-04-2008, 07:59 AM

great thread. What do you guys feel about letting the dealer work on your car compared to a indy mechanic?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:27 AM

Dealer = Satan... jk. almost though

Before when I needed a mechanic but didn't trust any, I would make sure they knew I tried to troubleshoot the problem and have narrowed it down to a few things. Also if I knew what it was I'd make sure I'd tell them I just do not have the tools to do that amount of work. If you are an average DIYer you won't ave too many probs with mechs.

KRRZ350 is my go to guy when I can't fix something or i FUBAR the hell outta something..