General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

A HA! Solved my starter problem.. perhaps?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 12:46 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

A HA! Solved my starter problem.. perhaps?

well i was messing around with the hoses cuz i was trying to locate the oil leak on the car, well i made sure all the clamps on the hoses to the throttle body were nice and snug, as well as the MAF connection to the tubes were closed..

happens to be i no longer have the O-ring for the MAF connecting to the rest of the SC piping. so i got one and tightened it up really nice.

as a result?

car starts great each time..

possibly the air being leaked out when starting the engine caused this? cuz the two points of leak were next to the throttle body and near the MAF...

well. that could explain gassing it to force more air into the engine at start, and the back firing due to the lack of air and subsequent air rush when gassing it.

i dunno ethan.. this might be it..not a starter problem after all?

huh...
Old 11-21-2001, 07:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: A HA! Solved my starter problem.. perhaps?

Originally posted by Chebosto
well i was messing around with the hoses cuz i was trying to locate the oil leak on the car, well i made sure all the clamps on the hoses to the throttle body were nice and snug, as well as the MAF connection to the tubes were closed..

happens to be i no longer have the O-ring for the MAF connecting to the rest of the SC piping. so i got one and tightened it up really nice.

as a result?

possibly the air being leaked out when starting the engine caused this? cuz the two points of leak were next to the throttle body and near the MAF...

well. that could explain gassing it to force more air into the engine at start, and the back firing due to the lack of air and subsequent air rush when gassing it.

i dunno ethan.. this might be it..not a starter problem after all?

huh...
Awesome! Thanks for the info, come to think of it my air intake is pretty getto rigged, I'm talking duct tape and sheit, lol. I actually don't have a O-ring on my MAFS either. Let's just hope your problem does not come back, it's happened to me 3 times now.
Old 11-21-2001, 08:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hm...the o-ring seem to be missing on my MAFS too. I think I'll stop by the dealer and pick up Friday.
Old 11-22-2001, 01:02 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

The O ring is ahead of the MAF... It shouldn't affect starting... In fact, on my old Supra, you can even disconnect the Air flow meter and it will start (although it died immediately afterwards).

But who knows... hopefully the problem was solved anyways...
Old 02-13-2002, 11:02 PM

grrr... this one has got me puzzled as well. My car has a starting dilemna and its not going away. I checked everything, and it only happens after a clutch job/drop the tranny job it seems. The car will turn over right when I want it to, everytime, but DURING cranking but BEFORE engine kick over, the car will sound like its going to die. Sounds very reminiscent to what the car sounds like when starting after spraying throttle body cleaner into the throttle. I've tried the key "on" for a few seconds, or even a few minutes sometimes. Infact, its done it a few times when I turn the car off from running, and immediately try to crank it over again. This car has never done this before. I'm going to put a remote start on the beast too, so I gotta know whats going on.

BTW, I do not have a supercharger either. I also do not believe the O ring is at fault, cause the only O ring I see is the one between the MAF and the air filter, and even if it were removed it would not affect MAF flow.

I suppose the one thing I'm going to try is the fuel filter first. See if that gets me anywhere.
Old 02-14-2002, 12:35 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

the oring is not the solution

it is possibly my coolant temp sensor was out of whack. but even with that replaced its still starting weird.

next solution? new starter???
Old 02-14-2002, 02:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: A HA! Solved my starter problem.. perhaps?

Originally posted by Chebosto
as a result?

This is definitely something to check when one has start problems. Had start problems last winter. Although the TB clean may have iced the cake, I also noted a crack in one of the vacuum lines -- the fat one to the IAC valve. Noticed that things started more briskly and idled better when the CAI went in and I replaced the cracked hose. It is nice knowing your car WILL start up in the morning.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:41 AM

Re: Re: A HA! Solved my starter problem.. perhaps?

Originally posted by Mishmosh

This is definitely something to check when one has start problems. Had start problems last winter. Although the TB clean may have iced the cake, I also noted a crack in one of the vacuum lines -- the fat one to the IAC valve. Noticed that things started more briskly and idled better when the CAI went in and I replaced the cracked hose. It is nice knowing your car WILL start up in the morning.
Definately something I will check. Thanks for the info.