General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

NWP Torque Link Review on higher HP applications

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:18 PM

NWP Torque Link Review on higher HP applications

This is not a writeup since the installation process is basically straight forward. If you know how to change your oil, you are capable of installing this lol.

For those that don't know, I have a built 3.5 swap 4th gen, turbo and estimated power around 400-450whp maybe even more(no dyno yet). I was working on installing my new intercooler and saw the mail man get off his lil car and bring me a box. I stopped what i was doing and right away started hooking up the torque link.

The instructions were very simple, although its self explanatory for some, make sure you still read and not skip over details. It took me about 10 minutes to install. I did have to bend the bracket for my horn a little bit so the link's bracket could fit under, no problem with that.

Adjustment:
During the installation I wasn't sure if whether I should lock the engine back (towards the firewall) or forward. Basically you can turn the bar so that it can move the engine in either direction. I went with moving the engine back/down towards the firewall (providing tension on the rear mount). My logic behind this was that when you accelerate the engine moves in that same direction, so if the engine is already locked in that position then it wont move further under acceleration. My logic as to why not to lock the engine forwards is that during acceleration since the engine will want to move back/down, the torque link will be pulling on the bracket that holds on to the frame, I really doubt that the pulling force will strip the bolts off the frame, but for a peace of mind I did it the other way. So the link is actually pushing away from the frame most of the time.

Results:
In my car, I am used to feeling a rough idle, always have and mostly due to high fuel pressure at idle on RC 440 injectors. Surprising enough I noticed LESS vibration than before, doesn't make sense but trust me I know the feel of my car like if it was my own body part, it felt smoother. I mean its not like stock idle of course, but I did notice a change.

The second thing I noticed when I started driving is that you feel the car or engine tighter. Usually I would tap the gas real quick and the car would respond but you can def feel there is some loss in responsiveness somewhere or a very small delay, now you tap on the gas and no delay, no hesitation, just instant response.

Part throttle driving feels good, again more responsive. My car is automatic as most of you know. The shifts during normal driving are smoother, perhaps even quicker, it feels good.

At open throttle the shifts are more crisp, dosnt feel as sluggish and clumsy as before, its a more solid and like with part throttle maybe even quicker. Now I am not able to test it out 100% because on the street I absolutely have no traction, anything below 45-60mph the tires just wont grab. The real test will be when I go to the track on my slicks. I am confident that this should improve my launch and 60', there is no longer any energy loss when you launch since the engine has no movement, so better transfer of power to the ground is obtained.

I am happy so far with the torque link and cant really think of anything negative other than having to bend the bracket for my horn, but come on now thats nothing.

Here are some pictures, excuse the dirty engine bay and low quality. I can take better quality pictures if anyone needs. but its pretty basic stuff.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Kevlo for President

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ht=torque+link

I too have it, I love mine!
Old 11-25-2009, 07:02 PM

Well wanted to bump this thread for anyone thats interested in knowing. I have been putting alot of abuse through the torque link and not a single problem, its still solid, bolts are nice and tight. Engine is still very responsive and all the power is going straight to the ground. Ill try and take good quality pictures soon, school owns me.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:16 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
Well wanted to bump this thread for anyone thats interested in knowing. I have been putting alot of abuse through the torque link and not a single problem, its still solid, bolts are nice and tight. Engine is still very responsive and all the power is going straight to the ground. Ill try and take good quality pictures soon, school owns me.
Very nice! Thank you for the update. 400+whp is pretty impressive!