General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

ABS Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:31 AM

ABS Issues

About two weeks ago I replaced all four tires on my car and while driving home the abs started to make noise like I was skidding and it was trying to do it's thing. It happened for about two days and then went away for the last week and a half or so.
I took my car out today and when I went to stop the abs braking started to act up. It was making all kinds of noise like I was on ice.
It is doing it most of the time when I brake now and it was even doing it a bit when I was driving and not on the brake pedal.
The ABS light is not on and I have yet to see it.
Does anyone have any idea what I should be looking for, I'm afraid of the stealership...
It's an 05 Maxima SE

SS
Old 11-01-2009, 02:47 AM

you need to go to the dealership, stop being an uneducated monkey calling it a stealership.
(Yeah I used to work for Nissan...)
you will need either r/r abs hub or revised mounting plate, and if you procrastinate long enough, you will need a $1200 ABS pump/ Module.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:10 AM

If the ABS pump is intervening when it shouldn't is it also limiting your braking? I would definitely look into this because if the ABS pump is activating when it shouldn't your stopping distance in an emergency could suffer.

If it is really bad, I might even pull the ABS fuse out of the fusebox to disable the ABS system completely and to keep the pump from burning out and not having to worry about it intervening during braking when you really don't want it to.

Just watch out though if you do that, it may cause it to throw a code that your dealer may see and either misdiagnose the problem or see it as an excuse to charge you to replace more things that aren't really broken.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by modenaf1
If the ABS pump is intervening when it shouldn't is it also limiting your braking? I would definitely look into this because if the ABS pump is activating when it shouldn't your stopping distance in an emergency could suffer.

If it is really bad, I might even pull the ABS fuse out of the fusebox to disable the ABS system completely and to keep the pump from burning out and not having to worry about it intervening during braking when you really don't want it to.

Just watch out though if you do that, it may cause it to throw a code that your dealer may see and either misdiagnose the problem or see it as an excuse to charge you to replace more things that aren't really broken.
This became a TSB my team of techs discovered in MY04 A34 sedans, which was never truly fixed til MY07.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Modern antilock brakes are far more reliable and less likely to need repair than the older systems. Indeed, actual system failure is almost unheard of. Most common is dirt getting into the sensors, which activates the ABS light and shuts down the system. We ended up having the system checked by a mechanic with a code-checker to find out which sensor was not working.