General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Kill switch as a new security measure.. question??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 01:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Kill switch as a new security measure.. question??

Well I know alarms are worthless when i comes to theft unless they kill the fuel pump or whatever, but i wanted to get some info about getting a hidden kill switch done for my car somewhere nice and secret that i would flip everytime i go to start the car..

i just wanted to know what this entails.. just to have a switch that essentially keeps my car safe from attackers.. the switch would probably be mounted under the front seat or a switch on the dash that is moved somewhere else.. like the hazards switch rewired somewhere and the hazard button being the kill switch.

thanks all
Old 12-04-2001, 01:26 PM

Check out these two links.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....entary+contact

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ht=kill+switch
Old 12-04-2001, 04:22 PM

these things are supposed to be SECRET lol, you shouldnt go posting on the internet where youre gonna run it to!
Old 12-04-2001, 04:29 PM

Talk to Downlow from teh NE. He has this done on his 4th gen. He might be able to shed some light.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:38 PM

On my other cars I have had them in the glovebox too. It was a nice place because also if you want you could lock the glovebox or something for extra protection. It may only take them an extra two minutes or what not to brake into it and find it but when stealing your car if you make them take too long they are gonna take off. While your at it why not rig up two switches or what not.

SuDZ
Old 12-05-2001, 06:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

on my 3rd gen, I wired a kill switch to my stock foglight switch

the switch still works and you have to have it pushed in to start the car

when I want to activate it, I just push the switch out when I leave the car

4th and 5th gens switches are different so you'll have to get creative

you can do it using your cigarette lighter or a removable face plate stereo where you have to push in the lighter or have the faceplate on to start the car
check out my page (http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte671n/mymax.html) in the how-to for info on those
Old 12-05-2001, 07:44 AM

jay i installed them alot at the shop i worked at. People would slip us an extra $50 to run a hidden swicth to the fuel pump power line. It really does work though, allows the car to run for about 2min then goes dead. and cannot be started ever!!!
Old 12-05-2001, 07:50 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by ny96max
jay i installed them alot at the shop i worked at. People would slip us an extra $50 to run a hidden swicth to the fuel pump power line. It really does work though, allows the car to run for about 2min then goes dead. and cannot be started ever!!!
that's gotta suck if u hit the switch by accident enh? car will never start?

IMO do it to the starter...leave the fuel pump alone. if you're crusing down the rd and the fuel pump craps out on u because of some wiring...good luck.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by DanNY

that's gotta suck if u hit the switch by accident enh? car will never start?

IMO do it to the starter...leave the fuel pump alone. if you're crusing down the rd and the fuel pump craps out on u because of some wiring...good luck.
Agreed.

Jim
Old 12-05-2001, 10:18 AM

thats not true... i had one to my fuel pump and if you turn the switch off while the car was running, it wouldnt makea difference... im pretty sure it was ran to the fuel pump, maybe it was the starter but i remember him saying it was the fuel pump... a cut off switch is a perfect combo with a auto lock... if they get past the auto lock they discover that they cant get the car started now