General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My tests have proven that shifting an auto when dragging slows the car significantly

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 05:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My tests have proven that shifting an auto when dragging slows the car significantly

You auto draggers,

ru4real, has a 2000 auto and was shifting the auto at the track Sunday and his first run was 15.9 and another was slower because of shifting. When he didn't shift, obtained 15.7.
The best thing to do is just to turn off the OD, line up as quick as you can, put your left foot on the brake and soon as the 1rst yellow light comes on hold the brake firm and bring the revs up (torque brake to 2000) and soon as the 3rd yellow comes on release the brake and floor the accelerator at the same time (I mean hammer it to get a good 60 foot).
Getting the car to shift quick without having a VB, I kept the accelerator floored and watched the RPM's get to redline. At this point the engine computer is telling the tranny computer to shift so at this point and in every gear I feathered slightly to drop into gear quicker.

Shifting does not help the auto when trying to get low numbers.

Hope this will help some of you guys. Get to know your car.
Old 12-04-2001, 05:41 PM

thanks for the tip deezo!!! i'm sure others have different opinions though...
Old 12-04-2001, 05:47 PM

I agree with Deezo. I ran twice. First time, power shifted with torque braking, second time, just torque braking.

All power shifting did for me was lower my 60' time.
Old 12-04-2001, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by Asian_N02
They will have difference of opinion but I have tried everything and now I know what works. It really doesn't have to do with me either. The tranny computer sucks but can be tricked.
Old 12-04-2001, 05:51 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Old deezo = slow as my car when parked

New deezo = ALMOST a 'craig mack'
Old 12-04-2001, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by Asian_N02
Well, I had different results when I had my auto. I tried and tested my auto out at the 1/8 mile track all the time. Was never able to run my best times without shifting it from low 1 to low 2 ect. And I couldn't rev it up to 2k either or I would white smoke my cheap @ss tires But, depending on what kind of tires you have and what psi you have in them will determine what you can rev it to. I do agree with deezo in that you must know your car. Test it out both ways and see what gives you the best time, then stick with that way and perfect it. Good luck automagic racers. I am learning how to launch my 5spd now so I have to test and perfect somethings myself.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by clee130
I agree with Deezo. I ran twice. First time, power shifted with torque braking, second time, just torque braking.

All power shifting did for me was lower my 60' time.
I will still manually shift...if that will lower my 60 ft time then thats perfect for red light racing. I have yet to take my car to a track when I do I will try all combinations. thanks fo the info..
Old 12-04-2001, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Old deezo = slow as my car when parked

New deezo = ALMOST a 'craig mack'
I couldn't be a Craig Mack because

Craig Mack = has no faith in autos.

:boink:
Old 12-04-2001, 06:05 PM
nc00max

I suppose every car's different, but personally manually shifting my 5G auto got me about .3-.4 seconds faster, and consistently so. Of course, that's all based on one track visit, but I would imagine the results would be the same elsewhere. Who knows...

Old 12-04-2001, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by deezo

------
Automagics
Old 12-04-2001, 06:09 PM

Re: My tests have proven that shifting an auto when dragging slows the car significantly

You auto draggers,

ru4real, has a 2000 auto and was shifting the auto at the track Sunday and his first run was 15.9 and another was slower because of shifting.
The best thing to do is just to turn off the OD, line up as quick as you can, put your left foot on the brake and soon as the 1rst yellow light comes on hold the brake firm and bring the revs up (torque brake to 2000) and soon as the 3rd yellow comes on release the brake and floor the accelerator at the same time (I mean hammer it to get a good 60 foot).
Getting the car to shift quick without having a VB, I kept the accelerator floored and watched the RPM's get to redline. At this point the engine computer is telling the tranny computer to shift so at this point and in every gear I feathered slightly to drop into gear quicker.

What were his times when he let the computer shift and torque brake??
This is confusing because I have heard the exact opposite of your results!!!
Old 12-04-2001, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by nc00max
I suppose every car's different, but personally manually shifting my 5G auto got me about .3-.4 seconds faster, and consistently so. Of course, that's all based on one track visit, but I would imagine the results would be the same elsewhere. Who knows...
That's becuase 2000+ auto's don't redline.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:12 PM
nc00max

Originally posted by Craig Mack

That's becuase 2000+ auto's don't redline.
Yeah, but I think he was referring to ru4real's experience with his 2000 auto.

Old 12-04-2001, 06:14 PM

Re: Re: My tests have proven that shifting an auto when dragging slows the car significantly

Originally posted by ChillWill2000

What were his times when he let the computer shift and torque brake??
This is confusing because I have heard the exact opposite of your results!!!
DISREGARD....I see you just edited the info into the post...Im still confused!
Old 12-04-2001, 06:14 PM

What I found (and I think medic can help me with this) is that when I was playing the shift game, it was taking to long for the tranny to drop into gear, BIG no no for me. I want the gears to drop like I have a VB mod, not to sit there with the engine revving for 3 seconds before dropping into gear.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:23 PM

Re: My tests have proven that shifting an auto when dragging slows the car significantly

You auto draggers,

ru4real, has a 2000 auto and was shifting the auto at the track Sunday and his first run was 15.9 and another was slower because of shifting. When he didn't shift, obtained 15.7.

I agree with you. When I ran my 2k2 auto doing manuall shifting it seems to hesitate going to the next higher gear. I know it doesn't go all the way to redline when you just floor it but it shifted much faster to the next gear.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:38 PM
Got Bent?

For the 5th gen (2k and 2k1), I would say shift the thing manually. Peak hp is at 6400.... letting it shift by itself will never get you there. The lag between the shift you experience is just the delay from you sticking the shifter in the next gear and the tranny responding to it by shifting. Its all electronic.... you never manually change any gear. The 4th gen makes peak power before redline, so letting it rev all the way up past that, is not the best point to shift....
Old 12-04-2001, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
For the 5th gen, I would say shift the thing manually. Peak hp is at 6400.... letting it shift by itself will never get you there. The lag between the shift you experience is just the delay from you sticking the shifter in the next gear and the tranny responding to it by shifting. Its all electronic.... you never manually change any gear. The 4th gen makes peak power before redline, so letting it rev all the way up past that, is not the best point to shift....
That's why we should let the computers make the shifts. I know what your saying but ru4real has a 5th Gen and got slower times by shifting.
Were you shifting at maxus? I did and it was a nightmare.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:48 PM
Got Bent?

That's why we should let the computers make the shifts. I know what your saying but ru4real has a 5th Gen and got slower times by shifting.
Were you shifting at maxus? I did and it was a nightmare.
perhaps some cars are different... hard to say. Maybe he bounced off the limiter...

I have experimented with both methods, and just by the feel of it, I think I like shifting manually.... I was shifting manually at Maxus.... not like it mattered tho... times sucked that day!
Old 12-04-2001, 06:49 PM

Don't auto's lose more power to the wheels than manuals ?

Deezo, don't get me wrong. Although I may not preach like I used to(And damn did I preach on!!) I still enjoy layin' back in my a-magic, sippin' on gin n' juice and just CRUISIN.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:50 PM

my experience

all cars are different, as seen in this case... for me, i have always got my fastest times at the track when i shifted. the difference in times is about 0.2s on an avg. why this is so i have no clue but i sure would like to know! and just recently i realized that i still had about 400 rpms left without hitting the rev limiter. had i realized this earlier, it might have been advantageous... who knows i cant wait to get back to tracks again to test it out. but hopefully by then i'll have a stronger tranny. i think i finally made up my mind to become a 14s auto na maxima
Old 12-04-2001, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by nc00max

Yeah, but I think he was referring to ru4real's experience with his 2000 auto.
And mine. The point I am making is that shifting seems to make the gears slip more than just letting the tranny shift automatically.
Old 12-04-2001, 07:54 PM

And mine. The point I am making is that shifting seems to make the gears slip more than just letting the tranny shift automatically.
I guess that is going to also depend on the individual tranny. When I shifted manually I never had any lag or slip?? This was in a 96 SE auto with 40-60k on it during the times I had it at the track. As I said before, I did get better average times when shifting manually, but I was also doing it cause I SO wanted a 5spd LOL So the second go around that is what I got

Deezo, what PSI were you runing during your runs??
Old 12-04-2001, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by Victim64

Deezo, what PSI were you runing during your runs??
yep, i was going to ask deezo the same thing...

heres my general tire setup... usually i run at about 23-24psi in the fronts and leave the rears the way they are (about 32-33psi). i know theblue ran once with 19psi and i was like whoa! would having an even lower tire pressure than that help without actually slowing down the car?
Old 12-04-2001, 08:35 PM

My first two runs I shifted manually and I still had my spare tire. The second two I let it shift automatically, and spare was out. My best is from New England Dragway on 7/18/01. All runs were with a 1/4 tank of gas, TCS off, OD off. Front tire pressure was lowered to 28 psi, hot. I think Deezo lowered to 22 psi, so maybe I'll try that next year. I remember he had a nice 60'.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th Best
60' 2.416 2.423 2.381 2.484 2.402
330' 6.85 6.852 6.710 6.875 6.713
1/8 10.424 10.414 10.208 10.417 10.210
mph 69.37 69.51 70.61 69.99 70.54
1000' 13.445 13.434 13.217 .000 13.205
1/4 15.996 16.001 15.795 15.965 15.756
mph 88.09 87.41 87.20 88.16 88.92

I hit the rev limiter during my first run, 1st to 2nd gear. My second run I hit it 2nd to 3rd gear. but not as much. I believe the 3rd run was the quickest solely because it had the best launch. The launch seems to be the most important factor, and I will work on lowering the 60' time. I still believe that manually shifting can result in lower times, if timed well. I made half a dozen trips to NED this year, with an average of 4 runs each time, nearly all manually shifting. I've found that sometimes it takes longer for the transmission to shift than normal (slipping while changing gears), and sometimes it shifts hard, like a VB mod does. I wish I knew why it did that. Maybe it's related to how close to redline it is when it actually shifts (after you've given it the "suggestion" to shift by moving the lever).
Shifting automatically should result in more consistency between runs, though.
Old 12-04-2001, 08:42 PM

Well, when I ran at the track I got my best time of 15.4 manually shifting. I only tried let the computer shift by itself one time and I got a 16.0, although I wouldn't count this because I left off for some reason I can't remember. I do agree with you though. On the street, when I manually shifted, it felt a bit slower because of the hesitation. So, if I had let it computer shifted at that time, my E/T could have been lower. Since then, I got the VB, so no need to manually shift.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:38 PM

You auto draggers,

Interesting that you mentioned this because in the last week on occasion I have been manually shifting my auto and have found that the car seems to hesitate before changing to the next gear. At first i was thinking that i was hiting the rev limiter, then i thought that maybe I wasn't since I was shifting at around 6000 rpms and was shifting a little before redline. Now I am thinking that maybe my tranny is slipping, don't think so but i am wondering what you guys think.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:40 PM

Re: Re: My tests have proven that shifting an auto when dragging slows the car significantly

Originally posted by Menacer

Interesting that you mentioned this because in the last week on occasion I have been manually shifting my auto and have found that the car seems to hesitate before changing to the next gear. At first i was thinking that i was hiting the rev limiter, then i thought that maybe I wasn't since I was shifting at around 6000 rpms and was shifting a little before redline. Now I am thinking that maybe my tranny is slipping, don't think so but i am wondering what you guys think.
that shift/delay is what is got rid of by the valve body recalibration. no more slipping of gears, and no more delay
Old 12-05-2001, 04:56 AM

Not in my case

I won't shift from 1rst to 2nd but I manually shift from 2nd to 3rd.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: My tests have proven that shifting an auto when dragging slows the car significantly

Originally posted by ChillWill2000

DISREGARD....I see you just edited the info into the post...Im still confused!
My bad. I forgot to add that the first time around.

When he shifted, he got high 15.'s and low 16's.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:27 AM

I ran 22psi and it was perfect. My tires are Pirelli P6000 with almost 40000 on them.
Old 12-05-2001, 07:01 AM

Something I want to add is that manually shifting helps my 5th gen get to redline. I have no experience with 4th gens, which hit peak power sooner, so maybe it's better to let it automatically shift.
Old 12-05-2001, 08:38 AM

Letting it shift on its own works. The transmission gets to the point where it says the engine RPM's are getting to high for the gear and it shifts quick. I'll never shift again. It wastes time.