General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What baby seat do you use? Graco SnugRide "

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What baby seat do you use? Graco SnugRide "

I don't see too many baby seats in the member rides forum.

1) What car seat are you using?

2) Is it easy to install/remove?

3) What do you like?

4) What don't you like? How would you improve it?

Dr J
Old 01-15-2010, 06:24 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

I use a graeco.

Its pretty easy to install. I have found the "self adjusting" hooks (found in other seats) are very difficult to get tight correctly. But I dont remove it all that often.

I like the manual pull straps for the seat anchors versus the click load self adjusting one we have in my wifes Rav.

With all baby seats, I would like a better "foot" that has built in adjustability so you dont have to use rolled towels to get the perfect level.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:40 AM

I use Recaro. Its by far the safest, nicest, softest seat I've ever had for my daughter. I've had a Graco Snugride and Graco Eddie Bauer series, and when I got this one I wondered why I put my daughter at rick in any other seat.

Its very easy to install, comes with adjustable seat straps, adjustable head restraints for side impact, it's AWESOME !!!

Take a look on YOUTUBE at car seat crash test and you will understand why the standard seats aren't worth anything in a side impact crash. It's really disturbing.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:45 AM

^^^ i doubt you have that, but if you do then props cause its freaken cool. i was looking at them and i'm gonna get a toddler seat since my wife and i already have a baby seat

Last edited by MaxiNone; 01-18-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:31 PM

Just for maxi

It's funny to think Maxi that you believe that I don't know what I'm talking about. Why ever that may be who knows. I look at it this way, I am putting my daughters life and the risk of every other stupid driver out there, so it is my job as her father to ensure she is the safest and most secure that I can make her while we are on the road. How much is you childs life worth??

Well trust I'm not on this board to lie to any one or put myself above any other member, this ain't high school and I graduated long ago. I am simply offering input on product that I DO have and a making my recommendation to another members post. For what ever reason I cannot post the picture of the seat in my car picture especially for you Maxi, but if you would like it emailed to you send me your email or check my photo album. BTW your apology is accepted.

Last edited by Todd3544; 01-18-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:40 PM

I use Graeco.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Many seats have side impact protection. You want to look for it. His comment about Recaro being the best is misleading. It's the best he has purchased for his daughter.

And remember a child seat isnt worth CRAP unless its installed correctly. Make sure "your" ego is checked at the door and after you install it, have it inspected to be sure you did it correctly. Most issues dealing with baby/infant injury in cars has been to do improper seat installation.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:39 PM

I agree with Colonel. Our local FD had a baby seat check point set up one Saturday. It was free, the inspected the seat and its set up and ensure your seat is not on a recall list. They say that 1 in 3 car seats are installed improperly, which is really unfortunate especially when you as a parent are trying to do the best for your child.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:27 AM

I use the baby trends car seat. Overall it is ok. Its pretty heavy and hard to tighten down the straps and locks. But its supposed to be one of the safest seats avail. My daughter was just born, she just turned 1 month. I wouldnt want to take the chance of losing her. So i as well had my seat inspected at the local fd.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:09 AM

My son used this Graco.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:40 PM

i use a sparco babyseat, its comfortable and looks great, paid to much for it, and its a real hassle to put together after washing it other that that its great
Old 01-25-2010, 05:00 AM

The Graco Safeseat is what I had for both my kids while they were infants, the Snugride is really good too. Following that, my son used a Britax Boulevard, rear facing first, and then we turned it around once he was big enough. When my daughter outgrew her "carrier" seat, we got a Graco Nautilus for my son, which has a 5-point harness but converts to a booster later, and my daughter is now using the Boulevard rear facing.

All have been solid seats, but like someone else said above, installation is key, and I'm a huge believer of using the LATCH system. If you're using just the car's seat belt, you need to make sure to have that thing fastened perfectly every time. With LATCH, it's just easier to have everything done well in a shorter amount of time, especially if you have to switch seats between cars every so often like I do. It is really easy to install and remove.

My only complaint about all those seats listed above is that they are heavy relative to their peers if you want to travel with them. The other thing to note is the Britax has a base with angular edges, so if you leave it strapped to a leather seat for an extended period with no protective later in between, it will leave stretch marks or even wear into it if the leather is crappy. So deal with that, I have one of these in my car to protect the leather. It is non-slip and very effective.

We also have a Combi Coccoro for my daughter that we use when we have to fly somewhere, but only because its lightweight and compact - it isn't the most sturdy thing and I wouldn't normally use it for daily driving. Installing it isn't easy either, because the base is sort of rounded, it can slip on leather seats if you don't install it properly. It needs some anti-slip material on the bottom or something.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:46 AM
I need a truck

When my son was an infant we used the maxi-cosi foray. The base wound up being recalled for reasons that the car seat wouldn't always secure into it. So we stopped using that one and got a different one.

We then got a baby trend infant seat on clearance for $40 and it worked really well

He's a big boy and he grew out of the infant seat at around 7 months and that's when we put him in the evenflo triumph. It has the 3 point latch system as well as the standard 5 point harness. The harness is VERY easy to adjust.

Todd, where did you find that Recaro seat? I looked in babiesrus and they had stopped selling it.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:04 PM

We use a Peg Perego Primo Viaggio for our 5 month old. All of the combo seats are heavy as bricks though, for sure.

Basically, seats that pass EU, and especially German TUV need to be independently tested annually. Seats sold in the USA require a filing with the NHTSA and DOT by the manufacturer certifying that the manufacturer tested the seat to meet their requirements, once, ever. No independent testing, or even a second test needed, ever.

The only manufacturers that sell models that have both TUV and DOT certifications are made by Peg Perego and some Britax models. The Peg Peregos are overpriced, but since the stroller my wife wanted was pretty nifty (plus, she could handle it easily) was made by them, that's what we bought. Britax stuff is actually quite competitively priced.

Neither have a plastic shell made in China, where the risk is high that the outsourced factory substituted a cheaper plastic that's either too flexible or too brittle during the manufacturing run, either.

ETA: The list of questions.

Peg Perego Primo Viaggio

2) Is it easy to install/remove?
Seat to/from the base, yes, but the release button on the seat takes a pretty good squeeze compared to others I have tried. At least it won't release by accident. The base uses the LATCH/ISOFIX standard, has an integrated level, and a crank you use to adjust the level of seat in the base so it's right.

Just the seat secured with the seatbelt is pretty easy too, except that the little person in the seat tends to interfere with you hooking it in since it's all so interesting.

3) What do you like?
Additional safety certifications. Auto associations in other countries also tested the seats, and gave them one of the higher marks in the tests they did. Not great, but better than just about everyone else, including the Recaro above.

And I agree, the videos are a real eye opener.

4) What don't you like? How would you improve it?
The shell shape tends to make the passenger within slide downward some when you're trying to get the harness on, but it's not a big deal. From the videos I see why the head looks low between the side impact cushions, but it looks odd enough that at first you think you've fastened your child into it incorrectly.

Last edited by homeyclaus; 01-25-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:32 AM

Not sure what size seat you are looking for but our thought process was to spend the money on a seat that the kid wouldn't out grow before moving to the actual seatbelt. Like others have mentioned, this is for a daily driver, not a traveling seat.

http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/regent

2) Is it easy to install/remove? Simple latch system, I use a pad underneath for the leather seats. Also, put my knee in the seat and put some weight on it before pulling the latch straps... thats the key for proper installation...

3) What do you like? built like a tank, highly rated, 5point harness, tall back, removable cover, comfortable

4) What don't you like? pretty big, weighs a ton.. How would you improve it? not sure you could.

Last edited by papasuede; 01-27-2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:29 PM

You asked what baby seat and most everyone seems to be replying with the forward facing seats. My son is 6m so he's still rear facing. I use a Chicco, for an infant seat it goes up to 30lbs and has a very simple and easy latch system. Clicks loudly when you drop it in and uses the seat anchors. I like it and will probably use chicco when I switch him around in another 6 months. Oh and the shoulder straps are easy to adjust. Some seats can be a pain in the a$$ but this one is by far the easiest. You don't have to weave the strap back through two separated holes, just one.

Last edited by beefy23b/97; 01-28-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Todd3544
It's funny to think Maxi that you believe that I don't know what I'm talking about. Why ever that may be who knows. I look at it this way, I am putting my daughters life and the risk of every other stupid driver out there, so it is my job as her father to ensure she is the safest and most secure that I can make her while we are on the road. How much is you childs life worth??

Well trust I'm not on this board to lie to any one or put myself above any other member, this ain't high school and I graduated long ago. I am simply offering input on product that I DO have and a making my recommendation to another members post. For what ever reason I cannot post the picture of the seat in my car picture especially for you Maxi, but if you would like it emailed to you send me your email or check my photo album. BTW your apology is accepted.
calm down there killer, i posted that because of it being a recaro baby seat. i use to work at babiesRus when i was between jobs last year and people over review everything they buy for their little ones. i understand the concern of their safety but some people go over board. its like COLONEL mentioned, its all if you intsall/mount it properly. if its not installed properly it does more damage. i'm getting the recaro toddler seat cause its racaro and not because its the one of the "safest" seats out there. all toddler seat pretty much do the same thing, keep the child in place incase of an accident...
Old 02-01-2010, 05:39 PM

I like Evenflo brand. They hardly have recalls. And if you are ever in an accident even just a fender bender they will send you a new carseat just so they can see what damage may have been done to the old one.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:44 PM

i use the snugride as well
Old 02-01-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by angelelaine
I like Evenflo brand. They hardly have recalls. And if you are ever in an accident even just a fender bender they will send you a new carseat just so they can see what damage may have been done to the old one.
wow, thats pretty good. cant get anymore real crash testing research than that to improve the seat if needed to...
Old 02-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
My only complaint about all those seats listed above is that they are heavy relative to their peers if you want to travel with them. The other thing to note is the Britax has a base with angular edges, so if you leave it strapped to a leather seat for an extended period with no protective later in between, it will leave stretch marks or even wear into it if the leather is crappy. So deal with that, I have one of these in my car to protect the leather. It is non-slip and very effective.
Plus 1 on this comment recommendation!
Old 02-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by beefy23b/97
You asked what baby seat and most everyone seems to be replying with the forward facing seats. My son is 6m so he's still rear facing. I use a Chicco, for an infant seat it goes up to 30lbs and has a very simple and easy latch system. Clicks loudly when you drop it in and uses the seat anchors. I like it and will probably use chicco when I switch him around in another 6 months. Oh and the shoulder straps are easy to adjust. Some seats can be a pain in the a$$ but this one is by far the easiest. You don't have to weave the strap back through two separated holes, just one.
Most of the transistion seats will accomdate safely the move from rear facing to forward facing. When my son was smaller we had (manufacturer I cant recall) a system where the base locked into the care and then we could package him up and "snap" him into the base. That was rear facing ONLY.

When he outgrew that, when I shopped I wanted to make sure it would last a while (height/weight limits) and accomodate a rear to front face move. He moved pretty quickly out of the small carrier to a "regular" seat. But I held back on moving him rear to front facing for a couple months longer than "recommended". Probably overkill but he didnt know the difference and never complained so the risk was negligible.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi all,

I am considering leasing a new Maxima SV and I currently have 1 child (5 month old)

We are still in the rear facing seat, but should be moving to a forward facing seat by summertime.

In your experience (especially 7th gen owners) is the Maxima easy to use with baby seats and kids in general? It will be a 3 year lease and I want to be sure my wife and child will be comfortable. Who knows there may even be a sibling within those 3 yrs

PS coming out of a 2007 Audi A4 quattro which is on the small side as my passenger seat is usually put way up to fit the rear facing child seat. I know the forward facing seat saves that space, so I can't wait until the switch!
Old 04-15-2010, 05:20 PM

i use the graco snugride in my maxima with the base. the base secures in behind the passenger seat using the latch system.

the one gripe i have about it is that it's so big. when the baby seat is latched in, the front passenger seat has to be moved up all the way.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Britax Boulevard
Old 08-03-2010, 12:30 PM

A lil update. I saw that the Graco Snugride 35 is out. It's bigger than the 32, so if you're having to move your seat up for the 32, the 35 is even bigger. Which's good for larger babies.

As others have said, it's important to make sure it's secured correctly. Since it's bigger, it's kinda harder to level it out. So maybe a trip to the fire dept and have them check it out to be sure.

Bang for buck, it's the way to go. And since it's good up to 35lb baby, you'll probably only use it for a short while. Might be an ok idea to get it used on Craigslist where you can inspect it first.

I believe you can take the Graco Snugride 35 on airplanes too. As large as it is, it seems like it would fit. Of course, call up the airline company first, they usually have a list of approved seats you can use.

Dr J
Old 08-16-2010, 07:05 PM

I use a Graco Booster Chair for my kid!!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:28 PM

A little late to the party but just installed this bad boy in the wife's car for my 9 month old son.

Britax MARATHON 70

Tangle-Free, Five-Point Harness distributes crash forces across the strongest parts of the body and provides a secure fit

Two Buckle Positions for your growing child

Infant Positioning Insert may be necessary for small infants to achieve a snug fit of the harness around your child (sold separately)

Premium Lower LATCH Connectors for a quick and simple installation featuring a push button for easy release

Built-in Lock-Offs ensure a snug lap and shoulder belt installation with minimal effort

Anti-Slip, Contoured Base grips and protects the vehicle seat while offering optimum vehicle fit

Harness Ultra Guard System (HUGS™) provides resistance to forward movement in the event of a crash

70-pound Weight Capacity for safety and comfort as your child grows

Plush, Easy-Remove Cover with matching comfort pads and infant body pillow to provide extra comfort and easy cleaning without disassembling or uninstalling the child seat

Quick-Adjust Harness repositions the harness shoulder height without disassembling the harness straps

Rear and Forward Facing Recline for child comfort and positioning

Convenient Harness Holders keep harness straps out of the way when placing your child in the car seat

High Density Comfort Foam provides an extra layer of padding to gently cushion your child

Certified for Aircraft Travel

Made in the USA with global components

My ol' lady did all the research.... I just installed it.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:42 PM

The state of baby seats changes so fast, it's never too late to comment. Thanks for your input!
Dr J
Old 06-02-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by soto2635
i use a sparco babyseat, its comfortable and looks great, paid to much for it, and its a real hassle to put together after washing it other that that its great
I call BS. I called Sparco months ago and they said they never made it, ever.

Does a 2002 Maxima have LATCH anchors?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by BigTDogg
Does a 2002 Maxima have LATCH anchors?
Yes.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by UGAd13
A little late to the party but just installed this bad boy in the wife's car for my 9 month old son.

Britax MARATHON 70

My ol' lady did all the research.... I just installed it.
Lil man is about 15 months now and the car seat has held up extremely well so far. We're going to be taking a 6hr trip down to the beach in a few weeks so we'll see how he does... Currently he's still facing backwards but we're probably going to face him forwards for the trip to give him some more leg room.

We also bought a secondary car seat for my car.

Evenflo Titan

It doesn't have the same protection as the Britax, but I only drive him around town. It's not as easy to unbuckle as the Britax, but for the price and functionality I would recommend it.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by UGAd13
Yes.
Awesome, thanks!
Old 06-03-2011, 05:56 AM

my little kid will be rocking this
http://www.recarochildseat.com/recar...-car-seat.html
Old 06-03-2011, 08:38 AM

I just installed the Peg Perego and tomorrow I have an appt to check the install. When she outgrows the infant seat, she will be in the Recaro harness/booster seat. I wanted the convertible Recaro, but i was overruled by the wife who wanted a true infant seat with a handle and compatabitlity with strollers, etc.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2001i30
I wanted the convertible Recaro, but i was overruled by the wife who wanted a true infant seat with a handle and compatabitlity with strollers, etc.
You'll be glad you did. It's easy to keep the kid in the carrier and just switch it from the car to stroller instead of having to pop the kid in and out each time.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Gram Lights addict

no pun intended but the thread title made me LOL. dont think a topic like this has ever been discussed here...... true grocery getter it is.

those recaros are hot. planting the seeds early huh?
Old 07-01-2011, 11:18 AM

i use this http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3999393

only i cant find the color i have, it was last year, maybe they got rid of the color pattern.

installs in seconds, you do NOT need the base of the seat for multiple cars, there are inserts for a seat belt that snugly hold the car seat in place if not using the base

lots of padding. the only down side is there is so much padding, my son sweats from sitting in it even with the a/c on blast

Last edited by Goomz; 07-01-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:27 PM

well since you ask, I go for the duct tape and in the trunk, the sub going seems to relax those little things.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:13 PM

3 car seats????

My wife and I just brought our third child home from the hospital on Monday. Our other two are both four years old. Wife's ride is an 09 Armada so no issue space wise.

My question is has anyone safely been able to fit 3 cars seats in the 7th gen? I have a 2011 that I think is about to have to be traded in otherwise. If you have, what combination of seats types/brands did you use? Any pictures? Thanks.