General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

End is near....for the VQ engine line

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 12:10 AM
dot dot dot ...

The fark = TF
Old 08-08-2010, 02:51 AM

VQ30 Alll day son. Smoothest ride you could want. And not to shabby on power either. Not a fan of MB either they break too much!
Old 08-08-2010, 03:31 AM
Turbo'd Saab

Word is the VQ will be left alone, just the 4-cylinder will be worked on. Since we know the current QR25 is such a gem itself.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Kretzmech
VQ30 Alll day son. Smoothest ride you could want. And not to shabby on power either. Not a fan of MB either they break too much!

Try driving an IS300 with the dumbed down 2JZ. Smoothest motor I've driven to date.

Actually, the new Lincoln MKS's drivetrain is pretty smooth, too. Of course, they packed so much sound deadening into the thing that I'm surprised it even moves.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
I think the Nissan 3.7 has a LOT more life in it before rumors like this take hold as real plans. And these rumors are focused on the Z, and the Infiniti, not the entire combined product line.

Regardless... all things change. Meh.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
From what i found out Nissan is looking to replace the the VQ engine line with something from MB lineup due to cost involved in developing a new engine line, since the VQ was started in 94.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:00 AM

Replacing the VQ is a big bummer. Whenever I near the word Nissan I think of VQ and how reliable it is (if driven nicely and not like a get-away car everyday) and how everything around it can fail like starter/alternator/ect. but the engine will still run smoothly despite some weeks of insane pinging and stalling from a bad MAF a while ago.

But yeah as a testament to its reliability my car is a 97 and my bro has a 2003 BMW, and his car has been to the shop more times in one year than I have the entire time I have owned the car.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:00 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

it really should be no surprise that the VQ line will be laid to rest, soon.
it's 15 years old. Most japanese engines have a lifespan of around that (some more, some less).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nissan_engines
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toyota_engines
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Honda_engines

a shining light in this: whatever v6 Nissan chooses, it will be better, it will be cooler, and will still eat hondas for breakfast(ok, maybe not so much the last part.)
Old 08-10-2010, 07:09 AM
dot dot dot ...

http://forums.maxima.org/7588038-post60.html

Cliffs:

Originally Posted by Me, Yes, Me
The VQ ran its course.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
So what if Ford starting using a Yamaha engine in one of their iconic models?

No, wait... that worked out pretty well the last time.
Are you talking about the early 90s Taurus??

As soon as I read about the MB partnership, I assumed it meant death of the VQ. I don't understand people's (and when I say "people" I mean car reviewers) statements that the VQ35 and 37 are "unrefined." One year they are praising its baritone snarl, the next they are complaining that it's not as "refined" as a Toyota motor.

What does that even mean? I want N and H from my high-performance engine. The V I can do without, but I have never noticed my Maxima vibrating at 4K+ RPM, er, except for the terrible tires and desperate need of suspension work. No discernible engine vibration, at least.

The fact the design is 15 years old, to me, means it's definitely lived a long-enough life. Mercedes squeezes some awesome power out of their engines using all sorts of high-tech, wizzbang wizardry, so if they can cram that into, say, a 2014 RWD sedan with a Nissan badge, six-speed manual transmission, and LSD in some form... That'd be pure bliss.

The flip-side is that the car market loses even more originality and difference. How long until four or five companies own the vast majority of all cars produc-oh, wait. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_AG http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault-Nissan

Edit: When did NMexMax get a red username?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:22 AM

We all know that the gazoline engine has no long term futur and it is now on a respiratory machine. Therefore company must go on and develop newer technology so it can meet the stricter environment law. I personally think that we are in a transition period, we are reaching the end of gas engine, it might last for another 10-15 years if that long. Electricity, hydrogen or different mixture of hybrid technology sound like the way of the futur, but until the car manufacturers massively invest in R & D and explore the possible avenue, ( they are probably doing it... ) it is likely that gas driven car will rule the world for another few years until it reach the end. The car industry is facing a heck of a challenge, they now have to produce clean car but they also have to fabricate the car without destroying the environment in the fabrication process. Using electricity, hydrogen or even water would make a lot of sense since it is renewable, but until we reach the " there is no more time left for the human " this is going to take time before it really happend. Personally I think electricity or Hydrogen sound like the way of the futur, but we have to invest in the infrastructure in order for this to happend ( Hydro Quebec has recently annonce it will build a network of electric station ) so people can recharge their electric car within 25 minutes for 2 $.

For me it would make sense that my next commute car should be an electric car. At the moment the choice are very limited and buying a car that do the 0-100 km in 30 second is not appealing at all, cuz we all know the real potential of electricity. I want a fast car that is comfy, make no noise, zero pollution and cost 5$ to recharge. Is this reasonable ? probably not but this is what I would like to get. Lol

Until this is available, I'm going to continu to enjoy my 4.4i or the S/C'd 3.0l once it's ready to go.

Sorry if this is a bit OT but this is what came to my mind reading this thread.

Cheers to all.

AA

Last edited by doublea; 08-10-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:29 PM

Now that Benz split from cry-sler they are way better.. Bout time the japanese and Germans put their heads together and come out wit a hard performing and reliable ride!!!
Old 08-29-2010, 02:28 PM

I'll believe it when I see it. Nissan could go unique and go back to an I-6 configuration for the next 6 cylinder.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:17 PM

We all know that the gazoline engine has no long term futur and it is now on a respiratory machine. Therefore company must go on and develop newer technology so it can meet the stricter environment law. I personally think that we are in a transition period, we are reaching the end of gas engine, it might last for another 10-15 years if that long. Electricity, hydrogen or different mixture of hybrid technology sound like the way of the futur, but until the car manufacturers massively invest in R & D and explore the possible avenue, ( they are probably doing it... ) it is likely that gas driven car will rule the world for another few years until it reach the end. The car industry is facing a heck of a challenge, they now have to produce clean car but they also have to fabricate the car without destroying the environment in the fabrication process. Using electricity, hydrogen or even water would make a lot of sense since it is renewable, but until we reach the " there is no more time left for the human " this is going to take time before it really happend. Personally I think electricity or Hydrogen sound like the way of the futur, but we have to invest in the infrastructure in order for this to happend ( Hydro Quebec has recently annonce it will build a network of electric station ) so people can recharge their electric car within 25 minutes for 2 $.

For me it would make sense that my next commute car should be an electric car. At the moment the choice are very limited and buying a car that do the 0-100 km in 30 second is not appealing at all, cuz we all know the real potential of electricity. I want a fast car that is comfy, make no noise, zero pollution and cost 5$ to recharge. Is this reasonable ? probably not but this is what I would like to get.
to most of that. I would rather see the future Nissan with a steam powered engine. IMO, a steam engine could have the power and mileage I want beyond what an electric, gas, or even a hybrid could do. I personally don't want to have to force a rapid, massive overhaul of our electrical system if we dump a ton of electric cars on the road.

Cyclone Power Technologies has developed a working, proof of concept ready(?) (just needs someone to mate it to a chassis) steam engine that is more efficient than anything else that I know of and is very easy to scale up or down. I'm really just making a guess towards the efficiency, because I didn't find any mpg specs on their website. I did find that it can burn literally any liquid fuel though. It also uses fuel very efficiently when it needs it and stores as much residual heat as possible. That means that you would get better city mileage than highway mileage. It is almost silent like an electric motor too. There are very few moving parts, the pistons are lubricated by the water, and it's self-starting. At 70F it takes 10 to 15 secs to reach operating temps and under a min to reach max power. The most awesome thing about a steam engine is that the torque is highest at 0 rpm. The Mark V that they built weighs a little under 350lbs and is about 2ft^3. It only has 100hp at 3600rpm, but has around 850ft/lbs at 0rpm. The torque quickly drops off as the rpms increase. With the proper transmission and improvements to retain more torque with the increase in rpms, this really could and should be the future.

Before you ask, I'm not a shill for them. I just really like this kind of stuff. They have a lot interesting pdf's on their website with all the technical specs. (I just skimmed through most of it.)

Electric cars would be frickin awesome too if we would could lower the cost, get rid of all the damn batteries, and reliance on the power grid. A small steam engine could potentially be used as a generator for an electric car. Electricity could also replace the burner in the steam engine. Hydrogen would require the same major overhaul, just with gas stations and those systems. Anybody want to get more off topic with me?

As far as MB making engines for Nissan; I'm interested to see what happens, but I'm not holding my breath for any real life-changing disappointments or improvements (like my 4th gen ).

-crackhead
Old 09-02-2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by nalc
The way the VQ roars when it gets to towards the redline makes the Mercedes soccer moms spill their Starbucks all over their fake *****.

I've been able to drive a G37, I can see what they mean with it being harsh but I actually like hearing my engine and it isn't near as bad as the magazines say I think. Maybe it is louder in the Z I don't know.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:14 PM

This is really a sad issue, If Nissan indeed does decide to retire the VQ line up and that will probally draw all of the VQ enthusisits away from buying another Maxima or a Nissan product for sure. I know they stopped making there 6spd manual trannies for the MAXS and ALT. The question here is what is Nissan really trying to do here?
Old 09-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

vg30de to vq30det

has any one swaped a vq30det? (gloria) motor into a 92 maxima before? Will it bolt up? It has a vg30de currently.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:32 AM
N00blargh

Definitely won't bolt up, thats for sure.