General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

NE1 ever put in an HighOutPut Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2000, 07:07 AM

i have a 4th generation max...im thinking about getting tv's neons.. plus a system....i was wondering if anyone ever replaced their stock alternator with a higheroutput one or rewound their alternators for higher amps....im thinking about doing it..how much do u think it would cost? anybody know where i can get it done? lastly will it decrease my Horsepower or performance in any way?
Old 11-08-2000, 07:12 AM

Do you have heated seats and auto-climate control? >>

Originally posted by SiMpLyMaXedOuT
i have a 4th generation max...im thinking about getting tv's neons.. plus a system....i was wondering if anyone ever replaced their stock alternator with a higheroutput one or rewound their alternators for higher amps....im thinking about doing it..how much do u think it would cost? anybody know where i can get it done? lastly will it decrease my Horsepower or performance in any way?
The reason I ask is, if you DON'T have these options, then you probably have the 110 amp alternator. The cars with these options (GLE trim standard) come with the 125 amp alternator.

If you're in the Northeast US, try these guys:

http://www.euroelectric.com
Old 11-08-2000, 09:10 AM

I've posted several questions about this subject and the best I've found was having the alternator rewound by a local shop. There just doesn't seem to be a big demand for anything bigger than 150 amps. Kinda sucks because the fuse on my car is 200 =) *boom* *dim* *boom* *dim*
Old 11-08-2000, 09:30 AM

I called my local nissan dealer and asked them, but I dont think there is a difference between any of the alternators. They said the part number was the same for GLE, SE, GXE and with or without heated seats. If you're getting dimming problems, get a larger battery or an Optima Yellow or a Exide Orbitron deep cycler. I cant imagine the heated seats making that big a differnce, because if you look at the fuse panel the heated seats are only 10 amps.
Old 11-08-2000, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by ericdwong
I called my local nissan dealer and asked them, but I dont think there is a difference between any of the alternators. They said the part number was the same for GLE, SE, GXE and with or without heated seats. If you're getting dimming problems, get a larger battery or an Optima Yellow or a Exide Orbitron deep cycler. I cant imagine the heated seats making that big a differnce, because if you look at the fuse panel the heated seats are only 10 amps.
I was told about the existence of the two OEM alternator units by someone at Courtesy.

Dude, do you know how much 10amps is?
P = I*V
P = (10)(12)
That's 120 Watts.