General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My RSB is finally on!....impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 05:29 AM

My RSB is finally on!....impressions

Well my Addco Rear Sway Bar finally got installed after about a million years of sitting at my place. I think the car sits much better now through corners etc than it did before. I was testing it a little bit last night, taking turns fast, going faster than usual on highway curves and stuff and it does make a difference. But I think I should've tried to do all that crazy stuff BEFORE installing the RSB so I could've compared after it was installed. Because before I never really did half the stuff I've been doing with the RSB so I don't really know how it would've been without it. But I do know that the rear end would've slipped out on me if I was doing this stuff without the RSB, so the point is that it does make a difference. It gave me more confidence playing around on the highway and stuff. Anywayz just a word of advice, if you plan on getting a RSB, just try to do some crazy turns and stuff (don't go crashing into a wall) with your car before you put the bar on and then do the same with the bar on so you can really feel the difference. I have a 97' SE auto and this is my first non-cosmetic mod. Now I plan on getting a FSTB, RSTB, KYB AGX shocks and possibly H&R springs (live in NYC so don't want a fu**ed up ride). After I'm sure that my car can handle (handling is the most important thing to me), I will start getting some performance mods so I can beat my friends' beemers and audi's etc off the line or at least hang with them!. Money isn't really an issue, just need to order everything one by one and get it installed. So hopefully I won't be a victim of the maxima's mini-van suspension much longer.
Old 12-16-2001, 09:05 AM

Re: My RSB is finally on!....impressions

Originally posted by for sHo
Now I plan on getting a FSTB, RSTB, KYB AGX shocks and possibly H&R springs
I hear that the RSTB is just a waste of money and doesn't do anything. Plus you have to cut into your trunk to install it.
Old 12-16-2001, 11:38 AM

Re: My RSB is finally on!....impressions

that's great man. i installed a fstb on my max and immediately noticed a difference in stiffness too. i was thinking of getting an rsb but i was afriad that it would make it ride harsh. besides the improved handling, how do you find the ride quality with the rsb? i love my fstb but notice a bumpy ride over rough roads.
Old 12-16-2001, 11:41 AM

Re: Re: My RSB is finally on!....impressions

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE

I hear that the RSTB is just a waste of money and doesn't do anything. Plus you have to cut into your trunk to install it.
All you have to cut is the cardboard lining, AND its just 2 little squares so the bar fits through. Also, it obviously does something since there wasn't one there before, but people probably just dont push the car far enough where a RSTB would be needed.

-Mike
Old 12-16-2001, 11:44 AM

I think its a nice touch for show.

Old 12-16-2001, 11:47 AM

Re: Re: Re: My RSB is finally on!....impressions

Originally posted by Screaminfast

All you have to cut is the cardboard lining, AND its just 2 little squares so the bar fits through. Also, it obviously does something since there wasn't one there before, but people probably just dont push the car far enough where a RSTB would be needed.

-Mike
People have said that it doesn't do as much as the FSTB or RSB do. Others have said it doesn't do much becuase of the rear axle. It would probably do much more if we have IRS. Spend the money and get the FSTB.
Old 12-16-2001, 11:53 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: My RSB is finally on!....impressions

Originally posted by Greg's2kGLE

People have said that it doesn't do as much as the FSTB or RSB do. Others have said it doesn't do much becuase of the rear axle. It would probably do much more if we have IRS. Spend the money and get the FSTB.
True, True. I agree that its doesn't do nearly as much as the RSB or the FSTB. However, if one is going all out, I wouldn't stop them from getting one, ya know?
Old 12-16-2001, 11:59 AM

heck ya man, i just put mine on 3 days ago, just a note i already have sprints, kyb, and fstb, and this thing worked awesome, the fstb doesnt do half the rsb does, i was hittin 30mph curves at 60+ and it held tight, i was quite impressed
Old 12-16-2001, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by ne max
that's great man. i installed a fstb on my max and immediately noticed a difference in stiffness too. i was thinking of getting an rsb but i was afriad that it would make it ride harsh. besides the improved handling, how do you find the ride quality with the rsb? i love my fstb but notice a bumpy ride over rough roads.
any ride harshness from a FSTB or a RSB is all in your head...nether mod stiffens up your spring or struts....and there is NO increase in ride harshness with either.
Old 12-16-2001, 12:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
any ride harshness from a FSTB or a RSB is all in your head...nether mod stiffens up your spring or struts....and there is NO increase in ride harshness with either.
The RSB will make the ride a little bit harsher over potholes, manhole covers, or any other road imperfection where only one side of the car is affected. Probably not too bad though.
Old 12-17-2001, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by ne max
besides the improved handling, how do you find the ride quality with the rsb? i love my fstb but notice a bumpy ride over rough roads.
Well I've been doing some extensive driving lately and seeing how the RSB puts up with everything. The ride is mostly the same as before but I can't say that it didn't get bumpy. Over big uneven bumps/potholes (which almost all bumps on the road are unless it's a real speed bump), the ride is a little more bumpy since the rear suspension is now linked together and the whole rear is acting as one piece. So if you drive over a very uneven bump, both sides of your car's rear will act together in the same manner and not differently, so it will be a little bumpier than it would've been without the RSB. The crazy thing that happened twice yesterday was that I was going through a bumpy intersection here in Queens at a normal speed, and my car sort of bottomed out REALLY HARD and almost 'flew' over the bump. This happened twice...and I always drive on the same roads and it never used to happen before. So like I said before, I think since your rear has now been turned into one solid piece basically, some bumps will have that sort of an effect on it. But other than that, you shouldn't mind losing lets say 5% of your ride quality to gain 50% more handling!
Old 12-18-2001, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by for sHo

Well I've been doing some extensive driving lately and seeing how the RSB puts up with everything. The ride is mostly the same as before but I can't say that it didn't get bumpy. Over big uneven bumps/potholes (which almost all bumps on the road are unless it's a real speed bump), the ride is a little more bumpy since the rear suspension is now linked together and the whole rear is acting as one piece. So if you drive over a very uneven bump, both sides of your car's rear will act together in the same manner and not differently, so it will be a little bumpier than it would've been without the RSB. The crazy thing that happened twice yesterday was that I was going through a bumpy intersection here in Queens at a normal speed, and my car sort of bottomed out REALLY HARD and almost 'flew' over the bump. This happened twice...and I always drive on the same roads and it never used to happen before. So like I said before, I think since your rear has now been turned into one solid piece basically, some bumps will have that sort of an effect on it. But other than that, you shouldn't mind losing lets say 5% of your ride quality to gain 50% more handling!
Most likely it wasn't your suspension bottoming but the right side axle bracket of your swaybar hitting the transverse link mount of the chassis. You can stop this by moving the axle bracket a few inches toward the center of the car.