General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

WRECKED MY MAX TONIGHT!! the person at fault left!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 08:31 PM

WRECKED MY MAX TONIGHT!! the person at fault left!!!!

Tonight I was cruising around with 2 other friends in the car, going out... and we were on a 4lane road w/ a median... a guy making a left turn pulls out in the first lane like a retard and stops! so I switched to the 2nd lane, and when I get real close he pulls out about 1/2 way into my lane!! I hit the brakes hard and got the speed down but locked them up, and slid into him... wrecked the bumper, fender (wheel weel), banged my rim, and banged up the door (won't open)

COMPLETELY HIS FAULT for making a left turn and parking in my 2lanes!!!

the story only gets WAAAY worse, I never came to a complete stop, so I pulled up to turn around, but my rim and fender was all banged so I couldnt turn. So I parked and got out to got talk to this MORON, and 2 witnesses pulled up.. one lady called the cops, and the others wanted to know if I was ok.. NO ONE GOT THE PLATE #'s off the car!!! and he was LONG GONE... ! !!!!

the cops came and said nothing can be done since we dont have his plates ! ! so it goes on my insurance as a wreck and i have to pay! What BS ! ! makes me sooo mad, im calling all the body shops tommorow ot see if the stupid car showed up.

Anyways, I had the car towed in, and collected the 15 little pieces that broke off his car to see if I could tell what it was... I couldnt.

Oh well, all in all I got screwed BIG TIME ... maybe I'll convert to '97 front end or something stupid like that, it all sucks at this point. My car is a hassle, this wasnt even my or its fault and I am still getting screwed big time, how worthless!

Pictures will be coming in a couple days when I get them back.

p.s. anybody with fenders (shadow) or front ends let me know ASAP!!!

Harold
hlh0501
Old 12-18-2001, 08:41 PM

thats really sad, good luck finding that guy
Old 12-18-2001, 08:55 PM

don't be so upset, because your insurance premium should not go up, this accident is covered under Uninsured Motorist provision. It is not treated like collision, or comprehensive (vandalism), thus, a different deductable may apply. In my home state (MD), the law says that a policyholder must maintain at least a $250 deduct for this sh**. Go on, and tell the adjuster you demand the use of only original Nissan replacement parts (to drive up the estimate). Follow my drift? Congrats on your new mods!
Old 12-18-2001, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
don't be so upset, because your insurance premium should not go up, this accident is covered under Uninsured Motorist provision. It is not treated like collision, or comprehensive (vandalism), thus, a different deductable may apply. In my home state (MD), the law says that a policyholder must maintain at least a $250 deduct for this sh**. Go on, and tell the adjuster you demand the use of only original Nissan replacement parts (to drive up the estimate). Follow my drift? Congrats on your new mods!
Thanks man I didn't know about the uninsured thing, that is really cool I'll have to check on it.. any other secrets to make the estimate up ? thanks !
Old 12-18-2001, 09:25 PM

That sucks

That sucks real hard, good luck getting everything fixed. Seems like I decent price, but if you look around on the net, I saw 97 front bumpers, primed with fogs for like 120.00 or something. Just look around. Good luck again.
Old 12-18-2001, 09:35 PM

Maybe this will help...

Originally posted by RideTheMax
That sucks real hard, good luck getting everything fixed. Seems like I decent price, but if you look around on the net, I saw 97 front bumpers, primed with fogs for like 120.00 or something. Just look around. Good luck again.
Sorry, it was a 96 bumper, but maybe you can find a 97. Anyways, here's the link.

http://www.4autobodyparts.com/cgi-bi...FRONT%20BUMPER
Old 12-18-2001, 09:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Doubt uninsured motorist will apply here. To use uninsured motorist coverage you have to have proof that the other party does not have insurance. In this case, you don't know who it is, thus, you have no proof they are uninsured.
Old 12-18-2001, 10:07 PM

Don't most policies have hit and run coverage? AT least here in GA we do. My cousin's car got hit by a big van that just drove off, and his car was covered under the hit and run policy. And someone I know was also hit by a car that left, and her car was covered for hit and run.

Originally posted by CKNY

Doubt uninsured motorist will apply here. To use uninsured motorist coverage you have to have proof that the other party does not have insurance. In this case, you don't know who it is, thus, you have no proof they are uninsured.
Old 12-19-2001, 04:54 AM
Got Bent?

I think hit and run is covered under uninsured motorist coverage. At leas *** is here in MD. Sorry to hear about it though
Old 12-19-2001, 06:03 AM

Be a good witness = your best insurance

Sorry to hear about your car.

Appaling, how willing some cops are to just throw their hands up in the air, as if there's no recourse whatsoever.

I mean seriously: even if you don't have a lic. plate off the vehicle, someone either in your car (or the other witnesses) must remember at the very least what "color" this car was. (Check your own car for paint flakes from the other vehicle)

Going a step further, how about a make or model? That information, combined with right-front-end damage on the suspect's vehicle, would give the cops a lot to go on if they issued an APB over the next few days.

Cops should take something like that way more seriously - odds are the driver who hit you was either drunk off his/her a$$, or had outstanding warrants, suspended/revoked license, no insurance, maybe even had a gun. That's usually why someone leaves the scene of a serious accident like that (especially w/ witnesses)! Unbelievable. Bad news 4 u.

Anyway, follow up w/ the cops on any new information/ witness accounts: you gotta be like a pit bull on their leg with stuff like this. Remind them that you know why people run & that this person needs to be caught. Hey, you're doing your civic duty, right?

(Btw, I agree with the other person's suggestion to insist that the quote include the use of ONLY new Genuine Nissan OEM replacement parts).

Good luck.
Old 12-19-2001, 07:22 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Harold,

I was almost killed in a accident on the interstate. It was also a hit and run. I had witnesses just like you, so my rates didn't go up and the damage was covered. (Although I did have to pay a premium ) Also no extra points on my record. And just like you, the peice of **** took off, with a big black smudge on his white accord where he knocked me off the road.

I really think you will be covered, so don't worry bro.

Good luck,

Craig

BTW, I know the feeling you have towards that guy. Don't let him get you mad or else, you lose. He was a moron who did it by accident and has a small ***** so he took off. At least he didn't deliberatly try to kill/hurt you, like my guy did. But I can definatally understand your anger.
Old 12-19-2001, 07:38 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Re: WRECKED MY MAX TONIGHT!! the person at fault left!!!!

Harold- Sorry to hear about the accident
I remember my accident as if it was yesterday. I'm just glad you're ok and that you had insurance. It's a hefty burden financially if you weren't covered. I hope everything will sort out in good time and good luck with the repairs.

AnGe
Old 12-19-2001, 07:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by hlh0501
Tonight I was cruising around with 2 other friends in the car, going out... and we were on a 4lane road w/ a median... a guy making a left turn pulls out in the first lane like a retard and stops! so I switched to the 2nd lane, and when I get real close he pulls out about 1/2 way into my lane!! I hit the brakes hard and got the speed down but locked them up, and slid into him... wrecked the bumper, fender (wheel weel), banged my rim, and banged up the door (won't open)

the story only gets WAAAY worse, I never came to a complete stop, so I pulled up to turn around, but my rim and fender was all banged so I couldnt turn. So I parked and got out to got talk to this MORON, and 2 witnesses pulled up.. one lady called the cops, and the others wanted to know if I was ok.. NO ONE GOT THE PLATE #'s off the car!!! and he was LONG GONE... ! !!!!

the cops came and said nothing can be done since we dont have his plates ! ! so it goes on my insurance as a wreck and i have to pay! What BS ! ! makes me sooo mad, im calling all the body shops tommorow ot see if the stupid car showed up.

Anyways, I had the car towed in, and collected the 15 little pieces that broke off his car to see if I could tell what it was... I couldnt.

Oh well, all in all I got screwed BIG TIME ... maybe I'll convert to '97 front end or something stupid like that, it all sucks at this point. My car is a hassle, this wasnt even my or its fault and I am still getting screwed big time, how worthless!

Harold
hlh0501
Let your insurance know and I hope you have the witnesses names and numbers.

This is to everyone:

Keep a disposable camera in your car.
Old 12-19-2001, 08:54 AM

follow up

well, I did have a disposeable camera, but didnt think the guy would be gone. I didnt even see him leave I was talking to a witness and looking at my damage (since I couldnt turn my wheel) and I looked up and he was GONE ! !

I talked to insurance today, I have to my 500$ deductable, but it doesnt effect my monthly rates thank goodness. I got the quote from the shop, 3200$... the nice part is, that was my bad rim (had a little bend and scrape) and it is getting replaced w/ a new tire! plus my whole front end gets repainted (hood, fenders, bumper, doors) so I am happy about that - but 500$, thats retarded. I will definately be on the cops, but I think there is like 0chance of catching this guy - oh well, life goes on. The biggest bummer is it wont be ready till around jan5
Old 12-19-2001, 09:04 AM

Re: Be a good witness = your best insurance

Cops here don't care either. My friend that got hit, the guys that hit her ran. And she chased them down. They drove into a dead end street, and ditched the car. The cops showed up, impounded the car and everything. Then a few weeks later, they told her that they couldn't locate the owner, so case closed. I mean come on, they had the car, they could have traced the tags, or the VIN. Either the car was stolen, which is a serious crime, or they knew exactly where the owner was. And yet, nothing.

Originally posted by KWheelzSB
Sorry to hear about your car.

Appaling, how willing some cops are to just throw their hands up in the air, as if there's no recourse whatsoever.

I mean seriously: even if you don't have a lic. plate off the vehicle, someone either in your car (or the other witnesses) must remember at the very least what "color" this car was. (Check your own car for paint flakes from the other vehicle)

Going a step further, how about a make or model? That information, combined with right-front-end damage on the suspect's vehicle, would give the cops a lot to go on if they issued an APB over the next few days.

Cops should take something like that way more seriously - odds are the driver who hit you was either drunk off his/her a$$, or had outstanding warrants, suspended/revoked license, no insurance, maybe even had a gun. That's usually why someone leaves the scene of a serious accident like that (especially w/ witnesses)! Unbelievable. Bad news 4 u.

Anyway, follow up w/ the cops on any new information/ witness accounts: you gotta be like a pit bull on their leg with stuff like this. Remind them that you know why people run & that this person needs to be caught. Hey, you're doing your civic duty, right?

(Btw, I agree with the other person's suggestion to insist that the quote include the use of ONLY new Genuine Nissan OEM replacement parts).

Good luck.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:30 AM
www.autotalk.com

sorry to hear that dude, here is something i found for you
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...383869&r=0&t=0
Old 12-19-2001, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Max4Speed
sorry to hear that dude, here is something i found for you
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...383869&r=0&t=0
thanks man - I contacted the sellers to see if they will sell it immediately. Darn I was thinking sarona front end, but everything I hear is that it is crap and breaks super easy. Is the 97-99 a direct fit on a '95 maxima does anyone know ? I know people have converted, so I figure its just a replacement direct fit, oh well. thanks for the help guys!
Old 12-19-2001, 04:17 PM

I agree. There are so many myths about insurance. I don't pretend to understand it myself, but the one thing I do know is you don't want any accidents period on your record. There really isn't this his fault/her fault/nobody's fault thing unless a person has only liability. Most people carry full coverage, ie the insurance company knows it'll end up paying one way or another. The way it was explained to me is the 2nd claim period, no matter what it's for, jacks the rates for 39 months. I can't say it's true or not true.

If somebody can explain how I pay more today for a 4-year old Maxima's full-coverage than I did for a zero miles Maxima, with a clean driving record for 10 years, I'd love to hear it!
Old 12-19-2001, 04:24 PM

Two years ago, I was hit from behind by an old beat up pickup. The truck drove off squealling its tires. Luckily, no damage was done. A witness stopped who had gotten the license plate on the truck. We filed a police report and gave the officer the license number. The truck was tracked down but was found abandoned. The truck was registered to a man who had no known address. The officer said that he was a transient who travels from place to place and does not have a permanent address. The officer basically gave up and said that the driver could not be found. I thought about going to see the chief but since there was no damage I let it go.

Those who hit and run are the worst of human kind.
Old 12-19-2001, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by jkratzer
Two years ago, I was hit from behind by an old beat up pickup. The truck drove off squealling its tires. Luckily, no damage was done. A witness stopped who had gotten the license plate on the truck. We filed a police report and gave the officer the license number. The truck was tracked down but was found abandoned. The truck was registered to a man who had no known address. The officer said that he was a transient who travels from place to place and does not have a permanent address. The officer basically gave up and said that the driver could not be found. I thought about going to see the chief but since there was no damage I let it go.

Those who hit and run are the worst of human kind.
I can think of 2 examples, both prominent people--one was a PA Congressman, convicted recently, and then that Phila. Eagles' wife who ran over a fan while he was changing his tire. She proceeded to have her SUV detailed and repaired at a body shop, and showed no remorse. Got off too with a light sentence because she could afford the best lawyers. I can't think of a reason to hit and run except maybe alcohol. Otherwise why would a person leave the scene?
Old 12-19-2001, 04:48 PM

HIT AND RUNS SUCK

Yep, the truth on insurance in louisville is... you have to pay your deductable (500$ for me) and it doesnt effect your insurance record whatsoever. Your rates will never be increased b/c of it, it goes on as a no-charge re-imbursement. That is the good news, bad news is I have to pay 500$ deduct haha, oh well.....
Old 12-19-2001, 05:02 PM

[i]If somebody can explain how I pay more today for a 4-year old Maxima's full-coverage than I did for a zero miles Maxima, with a clean driving record for 10 years, I'd love to hear it! [/B]
many factors are at play: your traffic violations,accidents, vehicle safety rating...if it has ABS, airbags. Location where the vehicel is stored, amt. of miles it is driven, and for what purpose. Who are the drivers on the policy, and who is a licensed driver within the same household.
Old 12-19-2001, 05:09 PM

Thanks man I didn't know about the uninsured thing, that is really cool I'll have to check on it.. any other secrets to make the estimate up ? thanks !
Well, the estimate that will count is the one made by your (in this case) insurance company. BTW it is complete BS, hit and run IS under Uninsured Motorist provision. Every policy has this Uninsured Motorist provision, even only if you carry just a liability-it is a law. Insurance company may not sell a policy w/o it.

re: driving up your estimate. Disclaimer: I don't know who did it, and don't remember whom did I hear it from. This is to be done ONLY if NO pics was made by representatives of ins. company and/or police. Create a damage (you figure out) on the body panel near the damaged area...makin' it larger...scratchin' is good 'nuf. Just make sure it wont look suspicious. Tell 'em it was as the result of an accident.
Old 12-19-2001, 05:13 PM

Doubt uninsured motorist will apply here. To use uninsured motorist coverage you have to have proof that the other party does not have insurance. In this case, you don't know who it is, thus, you have no proof they are uninsured. [/B]

no, the fact that the other party has left the scene qualifies the accident as Uninsired Motorist one. Since the other party can't be located, the assumption is made that the other party is uninsured. The same applies if you find your car damaged on the shopping mall's parking lot while you were shopping....in 99.9% you have to obtain a police report on this, though.
Old 12-19-2001, 05:22 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

wow that sucks a$$

Maybe the guy didn't have insurance or had a really bad driving record and another accident would **** him up bad so he took his chances and fled the scene knowing it's his fault.....

That sucks to hear, but hey, at least you got away kind of okay... 500$ and a front end conversion, new fresh paint new rim and tire
Old 12-19-2001, 06:30 PM

Re: follow up

well, I did have a disposeable camera, but didnt think the guy would be gone. I didnt even see him leave I was talking to a witness and looking at my damage (since I couldnt turn my wheel) and I looked up and he was GONE ! !

I talked to insurance today, I have to my 500$ deductable, but it doesnt effect my monthly rates thank goodness. I got the quote from the shop, 3200$... the nice part is, that was my bad rim (had a little bend and scrape) and it is getting replaced w/ a new tire! plus my whole front end gets repainted (hood, fenders, bumper, doors) so I am happy about that - but 500$, thats retarded. I will definately be on the cops, but I think there is like 0chance of catching this guy - oh well, life goes on. The biggest bummer is it wont be ready till around jan5
2 weeks after I bought my Max, I had 2 incidents therefore I had to pay out 2 deductables. I was pretty ****ed.
Old 12-19-2001, 07:24 PM

Re: Re: follow up

Originally posted by deezo
2 weeks after I bought my Max, I had 2 incidents therefore I had to pay out 2 deductables. I was pretty ****ed.
Ouch that sucks!!

I'm going to ask again about uninsured motorists coverage tommorow, and one other thing.. if i am having to pay for this, and it is taking till january 7th... will insurance pay for a rental car? I am only 17 and you have to be 25.. but no wheels, bites.
Old 12-19-2001, 08:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: follow up

Ouch that sucks!!

I'm going to ask again about uninsured motorists coverage tommorow, and one other thing.. if i am having to pay for this, and it is taking till january 7th... will insurance pay for a rental car? I am only 17 and you have to be 25.. but no wheels, bites.
I don't know about 17, when my roommate was 19 his company offered him a car. The other option is usually they pay you for every day you don't have a car.
Old 12-19-2001, 08:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: follow up

Originally posted by Weasel
The other option is usually they pay you for every day you don't have a car.
You think insurance will do this? B/C honestly I have other rides haha, a Jeep Grand Cherokee and '01 Modified tahoe I was basically hoping for the $ for a rental or else just for a new car to try out haha.. was a win/win but I wasnt sure if the insurance co will give me one, you think I stand a chance ?
Old 12-19-2001, 09:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: follow up

You think insurance will do this? B/C honestly I have other rides haha, a Jeep Grand Cherokee and '01 Modified tahoe I was basically hoping for the $ for a rental or else just for a new car to try out haha.. was a win/win but I wasnt sure if the insurance co will give me one, you think I stand a chance ?
It depends on the company, his was State Farm. They would either pay for most of a rental car (depending on the size of the car) or give him a certain amount of money for each day he was without a car. Don't remember how much it was exactly.
Old 12-20-2001, 12:16 AM

if you find that person i would kick his a$$
Old 12-20-2001, 12:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Harold
hlh0501
Reminds me of the time my mom got hit on Christmas eve by some drunk. Thrashed her and her car. Stupid idiot drunk tried to drive off with his bumper draggin. He got half a block, his car stalled and cops caught him. He didn't have insurance either. That Christmas sucked!
Old 12-20-2001, 04:30 AM

Well, the estimate that will count is the one made by your (in this case) insurance company. BTW it is complete BS, hit and run IS under Uninsured Motorist provision. Every policy has this Uninsured Motorist provision, even only if you carry just a liability-it is a law. Insurance company may not sell a policy w/o it.

re: driving up your estimate. Disclaimer: I don't know who did it, and don't remember whom did I hear it from. This is to be done ONLY if NO pics was made by representatives of ins. company and/or police. Create a damage (you figure out) on the body panel near the damaged area...makin' it larger...scratchin' is good 'nuf. Just make sure it wont look suspicious. Tell 'em it was as the result of an accident.
I'm no expert, but I do not believe you are correct. If what you say is correct, then carrying only liability, anyone who gets into an accident with no witnesses simply says "hit and run," and they are covered for repairs. We all know that would be lying but realistically, there would be people who would do it.

My other point was my car is 4 years older, no violations/changes to policy, just renew every 6 months, and premium is about 25% higher than when the car was brand-new. Some of it is simply rates have been incresed in my state, but it's bogus. Kinda like bailing out the airlines--2 people at check-in with the line out the door last Friday. Two ladies talking and joking with each other, then they went on break. No incentive to do a good job in airlines and insurance. Hope the web puts ins. agents and their residuals out of biz!