General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Warpspeed non-mandrel Y-pipe installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 08:38 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Warpspeed non-mandrel Y-pipe installed

If you've been keeping up on my posts for a while, you would know I've trying to find an exhaust rattle that would come out the muffler. The rattle started about 8 months ago and got progressively worse. Everything from behind the Y-pipe had been replaced back forth to determine the culprit. Nothing worked. Last week I noticed that the flex section in my nearly 3 year-old Stillen Y-pipe had started to fatigue (bubbling of the fex webbing, crunchy flex section). I decided to go ahead and order a new Y-pipe instead of bothering with replacing the flex section plus the Stillen pipe was looking a bit rough. This time I went and ordered the Warpspeed non-mandrel Y-pipe. Why did I get non-mandrel? Because it's cheaper and after seeing a prototype version back in June and installing one on a local GLE, it appeared the non-mandrel should flow nearly as good as a mandrel bent pipe. The pipe does not have crimp bends. They are pressure bends. Now the comparo of the Stillen Y-pipe (orginal model with equal length down pipes).

Stillen Y-pipe (mandrel bent, equal length):
down pipes are ~1 3/4" O.D. (outside diameter)
collector pipe to cat is ~2 1/8" OD

Warpspeed Y-pipe (non-mandrel, non-equal length):
down pipes are ~2" shrinking to 1 3/4" in the bend
collecter pipe to cat is 2 1/2" OD

The install:
First off, the weight difference between the two pipes is apparent. The Warpspeed is a good 4lbs heavier due to the thicker guage metal which also cuts down on noise. Overall, it appears to me that the non-mandrel pipe should flow atleast as good as the Stillen Y-pipe seeing that the Warpspeed is as big if not bigger in diameter than the Stillen. An added bonus of the Warpspeed pipe is that it has a 2 1/2" collector which takes full use of my 2 1/2" RT cat and 2 1/2" Stillen B-pipe. The flex section on the Warpspeed is much larger in diameter and length than the Stillen. It feels very heavy duty. The large size may also absorb more of the movement of the motor instead of transferring the movement of the engine to a weld like on the Stillen. Install was relatively easy. My only gripe is the Warpspeed pipe fits tight and needs some wiggling to get into place. The Stillen literally pops on with no resistance. Clearance between the undercarriage is plentiful.

The results:
My car is so QUIET now!!! With a intake, y-pipe, and b-pipe, the sucker sounds stock (too me) I cruised around for about 15 minutes letting the gaskets seat and seal. After a little cruising, it was time for WOT fun. I took the rpms up to 4000 in 2nd and punched it. All I heard was my intake which sounded further away. It was beautiful. The sound was smooth whereas it use be loud and a bit harsh with the fatigued Stillen pipe. I can't believe it, but my car feels a bit stronger in all gears. Usually when you quiet down an exhaust, the sensation of speed also goes down. Not this time. Maybe my Stillen pipe was causing a bit of turbulence and affected power a little in the lower rpsm? It's scary to think that I ran many 14.7s@94-95mph with a bad pipe. The car feels very linear and smooth. I love it. I use to have a slight bit of vibration thru the pedals, floor, and shifter and it's all gone. That Stillen pipe must been causing all kinds of problems with the bad flex section. NO BEES IN THE CAN! NO HISS. Period. Most importantly, NO MORE RATTLE!!! I did forget to reset the ECU before the install, but I guess it shouldn't be that big of problem seeing I as alreadly had a Y-pipe on. Hell, maybe the car will get even stronger.

The Warpspeed non-mandrel Y-pipe is an excellent buy in my book. If you don't have the money, try this one out. I've tried both and I swear my car is quicker with this one. The Stillen pipes are still good quality in my book, though. I can't help but think maybe I screwed up the flex section on my Stillen by running clamps (for the header wrap) on the flex section.

My car is completely different now. I had no idea what a bad flex section really can do to a car.

I plan on dynoing my car tommorrow afternoon. I'll keep you posted.

Dave
Old 12-20-2001, 11:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Warpspeed non-mandrel Y-pipe installed

Originally posted by Dave B
If you've been keeping up on my posts for a while, you would know I've trying to find an exhaust rattle that would come out the muffler. The rattle started about 8 months ago and got progressively worse. Everything from behind the Y-pipe had been replaced back forth to determine the culprit. Nothing worked. Last week I noticed that the flex section in my nearly 3 year-old Stillen Y-pipe had started to fatigue (bubbling of the fex webbing, crunchy flex section). I decided to go ahead and order a new Y-pipe instead of bothering with replacing the flex section plus the Stillen pipe was looking a bit rough. This time I went and ordered the Warpspeed non-mandrel Y-pipe. Why did I get non-mandrel? Because it's cheaper and after seeing a prototype version back in June and installing one on a local GLE, it appeared the non-mandrel should flow nearly as good as a mandrel bent pipe. The pipe does not have crimp bends. They are pressure bends. Now the comparo of the Stillen Y-pipe (orginal model with equal length down pipes).

Stillen Y-pipe (mandrel bent, equal length):
down pipes are ~1 3/4" O.D. (outside diameter)
collector pipe to cat is ~2 1/8" OD

Warpspeed Y-pipe (non-mandrel, non-equal length):
down pipes are ~2" shrinking to 1 3/4" in the bend
collecter pipe to cat is 2 1/2" OD

The install:
First off, the weight difference between the two pipes is apparent. The Warpspeed is a good 4lbs heavier due to the thicker guage metal which also cuts down on noise. Overall, it appears to me that the non-mandrel pipe should flow atleast as good as the Stillen Y-pipe seeing that the Warpspeed is as big if not bigger in diameter than the Stillen. An added bonus of the Warpspeed pipe is that it has a 2 1/2" collector which takes full use of my 2 1/2" RT cat and 2 1/2" Stillen B-pipe. The flex section on the Warpspeed is much larger in diameter and length than the Stillen. It feels very heavy duty. The large size may also absorb more of the movement of the motor instead of transferring the movement of the engine to a weld like on the Stillen. Install was relatively easy. My only gripe is the Warpspeed pipe fits tight and needs some wiggling to get into place. The Stillen literally pops on with no resistance. Clearance between the undercarriage is plentiful.

The results:
My car is so QUIET now!!! With a intake, y-pipe, and b-pipe, the sucker sounds stock (too me) I cruised around for about 15 minutes letting the gaskets seat and seal. After a little cruising, it was time for WOT fun. I took the rpms up to 4000 in 2nd and punched it. All I heard was my intake which sounded further away. It was beautiful. The sound was smooth whereas it use be loud and a bit harsh with the fatigued Stillen pipe. I can't believe it, but my car feels a bit stronger in all gears. Usually when you quiet down an exhaust, the sensation of speed also goes down. Not this time. Maybe my Stillen pipe was causing a bit of turbulence and affected power a little in the lower rpsm? It's scary to think that I ran many 14.7s@94-95mph with a bad pipe. The car feels very linear and smooth. I love it. I use to have a slight bit of vibration thru the pedals, floor, and shifter and it's all gone. That Stillen pipe must been causing all kinds of problems with the bad flex section. NO BEES IN THE CAN! NO HISS. Period. Most importantly, NO MORE RATTLE!!! I did forget to reset the ECU before the install, but I guess it shouldn't be that big of problem seeing I as alreadly had a Y-pipe on. Hell, maybe the car will get even stronger.

The Warpspeed non-mandrel Y-pipe is an excellent buy in my book. If you don't have the money, try this one out. I've tried both and I swear my car is quicker with this one. The Stillen pipes are still good quality in my book, though. I can't help but think maybe I screwed up the flex section on my Stillen by running clamps (for the header wrap) on the flex section.

My car is completely different now. I had no idea what a bad flex section really can do to a car.

I plan on dynoing my car tommorrow afternoon. I'll keep you posted.

Dave
Dave: Glad it got there OK and was as quiet as we said it would be. Our Y pipes typically weigh in at 14-15# and are a heavier gauge material than that which Stillen uses, that is probably why so many of the equal length Y pipes of theirs burn through.

Anyway, let us know how it goes. If you go to get rid of the Stillen pipe and you need it fixed first we can probably fix it for you just give a call as we have done several others.

Dallas
WarpSpeed Performance
Old 12-21-2001, 08:24 AM

Plus the warpspeed is Stainless Steel, I don't think Stillen's is.
Old 12-21-2001, 08:36 AM

So even the non-mandrel bent y-pipes will improve performance greatly over stock y-pipe? Will it add a lot more noise considering I have a straight through muffler?
Old 12-21-2001, 10:51 AM
Keven97SE

You could make your own ypipe out of pixie sticks and it would probably make more HP than the stock ypipe. Kidding. The stock ypipe sucks flow-wise and any aftermarket ypipe will see substantial gains. Differences pipe-to-pipe are likely minimal. I doubt there's even a 3 HP difference between them.

So yes.

As far as noise, yes you will see an increase in noise with a straight-through muffler. A substantial increase. My advise would be to ditch the muffler and get a ypipe if you want a power increase. If you want looks, keep the straight-thru muffler and forget about the ypipe upgrade unless you can deal with the noise.

Originally posted by MaximaRacer
So even the non-mandrel bent y-pipes will improve performance greatly over stock y-pipe? Will it add a lot more noise considering I have a straight through muffler?

Old 12-21-2001, 11:55 AM

Keeping your stock muffler is the way to prevent noise. i got a warpspeed Ypipe and stock muffler and I like the sound. A deeper growl but not annoying or anything.

SuDZ
Old 12-21-2001, 01:04 PM

Re: Warpspeed non-mandrel Y-pipe installed

One reason you may be noticing an improvement in performance is that an exhaust leak also leaks fresh air into the exhaust, and then the O2 sensor thinks the car is running lean and compensates, making the car run too rich. Happened to me once. This also is one cause of poor gas mileage.

Steve
Old 12-21-2001, 01:14 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The Warpspeed non-mandrel bent Y-pipe isn't stainless. It's a heavy gauge aluminized steel.

Funny story:
Today, after adjusting my exhaust hangers because I was getting a little thump against the frame with the b-pipe, I went on a little cruise to see if I solved the problem. As I was crusing on the highway out of no where my car goes from quiet to ULTRA loud. I heard metal hitting the ground and the car was shaking from the exhaust resonating. I'm like WTF? What the hell just broke? I pull off on a exit ramp and as I slow down, I hear a bunch of metal "clanking". I get out and look under my car. To my amazement, the back section of my Stillen B-pipe had seperated from the front section of the B-pipe. The U-clamp was still attached and was dragging which caused the metal clanking. I whipped out a towel, got out my 12mm socket, and reattached the sucker right there. All I can think is that either the new Y-pipe, is shaped a little differently and torque the B-pipe, or the clamp just wasn't secure.

Dave
Old 12-21-2001, 02:17 PM

Re: Re: Warpspeed non-mandrel Y-pipe installed

Originally posted by Stephen Max
One reason you may be noticing an improvement in performance is that an exhaust leak also leaks fresh air into the exhaust, and then the O2 sensor thinks the car is running lean and compensates, making the car run too rich. Happened to me once. This also is one cause of poor gas mileage.

Steve

I am in the process of looking for a ypipe and think I am getting warpspeed's mandrel ss.. have been hearing lots of good things. Warpspeed used to worry me at first, but all companies have to get their start somewhere, and now they sound like they are awesome. I hear good things and awesome things about what they are doing for the maxima aftermarket.

My question now is, my current pipe, the flex section has the metal things on the ends attaching it (the rings) which are busted off and the pipe doesnt even attach, it just hangs inside of each other (on the exhaust rubber hangers).. I feel like my car is very fast as is, and cant wait to see what a ypipe can do - but do you think I'm getting worse mileage and performance b/c of a air leak (huge place for it to go in) there, it seems like the exhaust would just be blowing out there.
Old 12-21-2001, 04:27 PM

We are secretly working on a model which will secretly unbolt other competitors parts so you will have to replace them with ours, looks like the prototype accidentally shipped and it sounds like it worked.

Seriously, I would guess there was a loose flange at the rear of the converter. If using lockwashers you have to check them once in a while becase they will lose their temper when attached to something hot like a converter and will actually loosen on their own. We are probably going to start shipping locknuts with our gen 3's which don't have studs like the gen 4's.

Dallas
WarpSpeed Performance
Old 12-21-2001, 09:31 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Same thing happend on my b-pipe when I first installed it. I didn't want to tighten the U clamp to the point that it would crease the pipe. Two weeks after the install when I went WOT, a super loud pop. Heard the pipe dragging on the ground. I was worst off than you were. No tools, no towel..nothing. I had to pop the sucker back with my bare hands.

The Warpspeed non-mandrel bent Y-pipe isn't stainless. It's a heavy gauge aluminized steel.

Funny story:
Today, after adjusting my exhaust hangers because I was getting a little thump against the frame with the b-pipe, I went on a little cruise to see if I solved the problem. As I was crusing on the highway out of no where my car goes from quiet to ULTRA loud. I heard metal hitting the ground and the car was shaking from the exhaust resonating. I'm like WTF? What the hell just broke? I pull off on a exit ramp and as I slow down, I hear a bunch of metal "clanking". I get out and look under my car. To my amazement, the back section of my Stillen B-pipe had seperated from the front section of the B-pipe. The U-clamp was still attached and was dragging which caused the metal clanking. I whipped out a towel, got out my 12mm socket, and reattached the sucker right there. All I can think is that either the new Y-pipe, is shaped a little differently and torque the B-pipe, or the clamp just wasn't secure.

Dave
Old 12-21-2001, 09:37 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Same thing happend on my b-pipe when I first installed it. I didn't want to tighten the U clamp to the point that it would crease the pipe. Two weeks after the install when I went WOT, a super loud pop. Heard the pipe dragging on the ground. I was worst off than you were. No tools, no towel..nothing. I had to pop the sucker back with my bare hands.

Hehe..it actually sounded damn good at idle It was a little loud at 3000rpms at 70mph though. Maybe I could get a straight pipe that would shoot the exhaust out just in front of the rear tire for track use. I'm sure no one would laugh

Dave
Old 12-22-2001, 08:14 AM

just installed my Warpspeed mandrel bent aluminized pipe yesterday. I feel a lot more high end now. I love it. Yet I dont see how ur car is quiet. Mine is louder than an airplane yet when i floor it the sound gets a lil quieter. My car was weird to begin with so this may not pertain to you. All i know is I love it!
Old 12-22-2001, 01:23 PM

Your Y pipe should not make the car louder. I think you might want to check the gaskets to make sure everything is lined up and tight. If it persists give me a call. toll free 866-801-9338

Dallas
WarpSpeed Performance
Old 12-22-2001, 01:31 PM

will do
Old 12-22-2001, 11:56 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Maxima97GLE
just installed my Warpspeed mandrel bent aluminized pipe yesterday. I feel a lot more high end now. I love it. Yet I dont see how ur car is quiet. Mine is louder than an airplane yet when i floor it the sound gets a lil quieter. My car was weird to begin with so this may not pertain to you. All i know is I love it!
It shouldn't be loud at all. I've got a y-pipe and a Stillen B-pipe that get's rid of the resonator and the only thing I hear is the intake. It is VERY quiet setup. I love it.

My guess is that when you installed the Y-pipe, one of the crush gaskets between the Y-pipe and manifold became displaced and didn't seal properly. This could cause some serious noise. The gasket between the Y-pipe and cat could be leaking too. Have the car running and put you hand just below where the cat/y-pipe meet. If you feel hot air blowing on your hand, it's leaking. DO NOT TOUCH THE PIPE!!!

Thanks Dan and Dallas. If you guys had a license plate frame, I'd put it on. BTW, I've got a few ideas for some other preformance products.

Dave
Old 12-23-2001, 12:34 AM

Sounds nice Dave, no more rattle! Let me know when you head down to they dyno, I'd like to see how she does.
Old 12-23-2001, 08:07 AM

It shouldn't be loud at all. I've got a y-pipe and a Stillen B-pipe that get's rid of the resonator and the only thing I hear is the intake. It is VERY quiet setup. I love it.

My guess is that when you installed the Y-pipe, one of the crush gaskets between the Y-pipe and manifold became displaced and didn't seal properly. This could cause some serious noise. The gasket between the Y-pipe and cat could be leaking too. Have the car running and put you hand just below where the cat/y-pipe meet. If you feel hot air blowing on your hand, it's leaking. DO NOT TOUCH THE PIPE!!!

Thanks Dan and Dallas. If you guys had a license plate frame, I'd put it on. BTW, I've got a few ideas for some other preformance products.

Dave
We hope to have some banners and new decals shortly. Of couirse we are always willing to consider suggestions.

Dallas
Old 12-23-2001, 04:37 PM

how long did it take you to get ur pipe?
Old 12-23-2001, 07:35 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by fsumax
how long did it take you to get ur pipe?
I ordered it on Friday and got it on a Thursday. It went out USPS Priority and it should have been here on Wednesday. The USPS guy came by a apoligized because they misplaced it for a day.

Dave
Old 12-23-2001, 07:48 PM

ahhhh y-pipe dreams...

bp